Recent issues...help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 08:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
a land yacht.
Recent issues...help

So I have had a few issues with my car lately...really bumming me out I feel like this thing is falling apart.

First: There is a constant clicking noise as soon as I start up my car. The clicking noise is coming from what seems like right behind my steering wheel and maybe to the right a little. The sound eventually stops after about a minute or two.

Second: There is a big flapping noise coming from a little left of my glove compartmment . I know it has something to do with the AC and heat flap or something...but I want to know for sure what it is.

Third: My passenger air bag is now always off and the SRS light is on in my instrument cluster. It says something like "Restraint System Visit Workshop" or something...

...and I need some new rear tires...but on the bight side I am geting my front end repainted and bumper holes fixed due to the recent vandalism. Any help with those issues would be great!
Old 12-23-2009, 08:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 C55, 09 E350
im guessing your stepper motor linkage is broken and you need a seat occupation sensor. The stepper motor is a ***** of a job you sometimes have to drop the whole instrument panel.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

a land yacht.
Originally Posted by JonMBZ
im guessing your stepper motor linkage is broken and you need a seat occupation sensor. The stepper motor is a ***** of a job you sometimes have to drop the whole instrument panel.
yeah I figured it was the stepper motor, but do you think that is both of the problems? I know its going to be a b**** to do, and the seat sensor too.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 C55, 09 E350
I am not really sure I was thinking it might be the steering wheel motor, but I wasn't sure if the 32's had them. Does your steering wheel move up and down when you get in and out of the car if so could the sound be coming from that ?
Old 12-23-2009, 09:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

a land yacht.
I am not really sure I was thinking it might be the steering wheel motor, but I wasn't sure if the 32's had them. Does your steering wheel move up and down when you get in and out of the car if so could the sound be coming from that ?
yeah my car has it, but it doesnt move up and down when i get in and out because i changed the setting....you still think that could be it?
Old 12-23-2009, 09:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 C55, 09 E350
Not sure put your ear by it and see if the sound is coming from the steering column. I wouldn't think that would be the issue though if it isn't moving normally when you get in and out unless it's suppose to, but not working properly.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:55 PM

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts
AMG
yeah it does move, well used to untill i changed it cause i read somewhere on here that changing that part is really expensive plus one day the stearing wheel was stuck after my wife who is 5'2" drove the after it worked again i just manually change it not just so i wont have to worry abou it being stuck or breaking that motor from use everyday i just dont want to take chances anymore.
Old 12-25-2009, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
Originally Posted by C_DirtyTwo
So I have had a few issues with my car lately...really bumming me out I feel like this thing is falling apart.

First: There is a constant clicking noise as soon as I start up my car. The clicking noise is coming from what seems like right behind my steering wheel and maybe to the right a little. The sound eventually stops after about a minute or two.

Second: There is a big flapping noise coming from a little left of my glove compartmment . I know it has something to do with the AC and heat flap or something...but I want to know for sure what it is.

Third: My passenger air bag is now always off and the SRS light is on in my instrument cluster. It says something like "Restraint System Visit Workshop" or something...

...and I need some new rear tires...but on the bight side I am geting my front end repainted and bumper holes fixed due to the recent vandalism. Any help with those issues would be great!
First: ?

Second: Stepper motor, for sure. It usually stops after about 90 seconds. It makes for a frustrating 90 seconds and your vents won't work correctly. It's a $.50 plastic part and almost $700 of labor.

Third: Mine did this too. It went away after a week or so. I believe it is the passanger seat sensor. I have not had work done and everything has been OK for a year or so now.
Old 12-26-2009, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

a land yacht.
Originally Posted by ScottW911
First: ?

Second: Stepper motor, for sure. It usually stops after about 90 seconds. It makes for a frustrating 90 seconds and your vents won't work correctly. It's a $.50 plastic part and almost $700 of labor.

Third: Mine did this too. It went away after a week or so. I believe it is the passanger seat sensor. I have not had work done and everything has been OK for a year or so now.

First: yeah thats exactly how I feel haha

Second: Nice to know its a cheap part...my dad was a tech for Mercedes for like 10 years...So as for labor haha that'll consist of a saturday and cost us just a few hours theres no way I could afford maintenance on this thing without him

Third: Yeah mine has been doing it for over a week, I think Im going to have to replace it
Old 12-27-2009, 01:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not an AMG :(
....First: There is a constant clicking noise as soon as I start up my car. The clicking noise is coming from what seems like right behind my steering wheel and maybe to the right a little. The sound eventually stops after about a minute or two.....
This sounds like your purge valve. Open up your hood, turn the engine on and see if it is coming from the driver's side of the bay.
In any case, it's a nuisance but not a real problem.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

a land yacht.
Originally Posted by boohooramblers
This sounds like your purge valve. Open up your hood, turn the engine on and see if it is coming from the driver's side of the bay.
In any case, it's a nuisance but not a real problem.
already checked that, if it was that all I would need to do is put something in between the purge valve and what its hitting up against to stop it from making that noise...but its not the purge valve
Old 12-30-2009, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
Try disconnecting the cables on the front panel under the seat on that side and leaving them disconnected for a few minutes, specifically a small two-prong connector. My seat seems to mis-behave and cause a problem annually where it keeps the CAN-BUS on all night, draining my battery and preventing any of the seat controls or memory setting to work. I remedy this now by disconnecting the seat for a few minutes and reconnecting. It has worked now two years in a row. At any rate, last time I did it when I disconnected the small 2-pin connector my dash went to the SRS Visit workshop warning, which cleared upon reconnecting. It's something to try anyway.