C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Question about a salvage 04 C32

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 05:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c320
Question about a salvage 04 C32

So I recently came across a salvage 04 C32 my buddy told me about. The bodyman that owns this car is parting out the car so I went over to his place today to have a look at what I would be interested in. The car had pretty much everything except for the wheels that he recently sold.
I was especially interested in the engine since I was thinking about putting it in my C240. The bodyman said the engine runs good, but when he tried to start the car for me to show me, the engine ran for 5secs and then die out. He repeated it numberous times but same problem, the engine would start and then die out.
After naming out a few parts I wanted, the bodyman offered to just sell me the whole car for $8000. My question here is that, is it even worth paying that much for a salvage vehicle such as this? I mean I don't know if the engine is still good (however it had low km's only 50,000miles) or if the tranny is intact, and I dont really want to deal with the hassle of bringing the car back to my house and then finding out that I got ripped off.
ANy suggestions what I should do?
Old 01-07-2010, 07:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not an AMG :(
Originally Posted by dv-12
So I recently came across a salvage 04 C32 my buddy told me about. The bodyman that owns this car is parting out the car so I went over to his place today to have a look at what I would be interested in. The car had pretty much everything except for the wheels that he recently sold.
I was especially interested in the engine since I was thinking about putting it in my C240. The bodyman said the engine runs good, but when he tried to start the car for me to show me, the engine ran for 5secs and then die out. He repeated it numberous times but same problem, the engine would start and then die out.
After naming out a few parts I wanted, the bodyman offered to just sell me the whole car for $8000. My question here is that, is it even worth paying that much for a salvage vehicle such as this? I mean I don't know if the engine is still good (however it had low km's only 50,000miles) or if the tranny is intact, and I dont really want to deal with the hassle of bringing the car back to my house and then finding out that I got ripped off.
Without knowing more about the motor and what exactly is wrong with the car (why was it 'salvaged'), RUN AWAY.
Especially for $8,000.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AMG
Old 01-07-2010, 12:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Marsaydees
$8K? LOL

i'd offer him $5k TOPS

start out at $4k
Old 01-07-2010, 12:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
none
I agree with 4K
settle for 5K

Do you have a C240 wagon?
Old 01-07-2010, 01:22 PM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
have to agree with the rest of the folks, when you can find one running with higher miles for 12's....

engine is worth 1800 ish tops

and salvage at that.....blah! 4-5k
Old 01-07-2010, 08:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c320
thanks for the info. I knew there was something shady about the bodyman...
Old 01-07-2010, 08:59 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
... are always a good time.
thanks for the info. I knew there was something shady about the bodyman...
I wouldnt say he is shady. He is just hoping to get as much as possible for a car that once was worth 50K.

Try to find out the history of the vehicle. What is it that makes it a "Salvage". Rear-ended? Frontal impact? "Katrina" car?

That should get you in the right direction to decide upon a price.

Good luck!

Miguel