C32 Heat Exchanger Options

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 06:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0 LS2 - Blue
C32 Heat Exchanger Options

I'm thinking now would be a good time to upgrade the heat exchanger, and liquid pump on my C32. I wouldn't mind making custom brackets, so I was looking around at other universal heat exchangers. Don't really want to cut up the C32... Does anyone know the max size we can fit in the OE heat exchanger location? The Eurocharged heat exchanger is 32"x6.5"x2.25", and I found another that is 31.5"x9.5"x3.5" for over half the price... Who has best prices on Johnson CM30 right now? Is the CM90 overkill? After switching to such a larger heat exchanger should I still separate it from the engine coolant system? If I were to do so then I would need the PTE thermostat? At the same time I would like to install a co2 spray for the heat exchanger. Probably go the custom route for that. I was reading some threads online, and it isn't all that hard to piece together your own system.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:56 AM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
Originally Posted by gt4awd
I'm thinking now would be a good time to upgrade the heat exchanger, and liquid pump on my C32. I wouldn't mind making custom brackets, so I was looking around at other universal heat exchangers. Don't really want to cut up the C32... Does anyone know the max size we can fit in the OE heat exchanger location? The Eurocharged heat exchanger is 32"x6.5"x2.25", and I found another that is 31.5"x9.5"x3.5" for over half the price... Who has best prices on Johnson CM30 right now? Is the CM90 overkill? After switching to such a larger heat exchanger should I still separate it from the engine coolant system? If I were to do so then I would need the PTE thermostat? At the same time I would like to install a co2 spray for the heat exchanger. Probably go the custom route for that. I was reading some threads online, and it isn't all that hard to piece together your own system.
wow, lots of questions.....

Ok, the HE size matters, but the core type matters more. All heat exchangers are not the same.

If you get the CM90 let me know so I can smack you. Its way overkill and will bottleneck the rest of your system.....lol

Seperate engine cooling is a good idea, expecially if tracking your ride.

You don't "need" the PTE, but it is a good idea.

Save your cash on CO2, not worth it. Spend the cash on a NOS 50 shot direct to the throttle body and you will see 8x the cooling effects.

Old 01-08-2010, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

So, who currently offers the best heat exchanger for the c32? People don't really seem to list what type of core is used... Guess I will be saving up for NOS then. It has been on the back of my mind for a while now.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:51 PM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
So, who currently offers the best heat exchanger for the c32? People don't really seem to list what type of core is used... Guess I will be saving up for NOS then. It has been on the back of my mind for a while now.
I like (eurocharged) and ran it among all the others on the forum. The eurocharged ones are built to spec by a high end mfg and not produced in house anymore. Big difference in quality then those imitation ones listed.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 C32 AMG
I'd also like to ask this HE question.. Only mods are IC30 & Code3 Pulley and Intake. I've taken the front weather stripping off to get more air into the engine bay (albeit hot air)..

Some days in Ozzie land it gets very, very hot and it's around this time. Unfortunately I won't have the funds to get any HE for a few months so it will really be a project for next summer.. in which case I ask is it really wroth it if I only plan on holding onto the car for a few years and don't really mod it any further? As far as I ready I don't need ti as long as I'm not running a 185 and don't thrash the car around too much on a hot day?
Old 01-09-2010, 12:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Considering I'm running the stock cooling system with 185MM, and experience no supercharger cut out I think you'll be fine... I'm sure it's hotter in your area, but at most you should only experience less boost. From what I can tell (no IAT monitoring) my IAT hover right below the cut out during WOT runs, and I do experience a cut in timing along with a reduction in max boost. 185MM should run in excess of 22 PSI, and I can only budge 18-19 PSI at most... The Johnson pump alone with 3x flow could very well be all you need for your setup.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:32 AM

03 C32 AMG
I'm running the stock heat exchanger with the CM30 pump and 185mm pulley, no problems.

I tried to throw on a eurocharged heat exchanger, but it wouldn't fit under the bumper, and left holes in the bumper support... so much for bolt on!
Old 01-09-2010, 07:31 AM

2001 C32 AMG
Considering I'm running the stock cooling system with 185MM, and experience no supercharger cut out I think you'll be fine... I'm sure it's hotter in your area, but at most you should only experience less boost. From what I can tell (no IAT monitoring) my IAT hover right below the cut out during WOT runs, and I do experience a cut in timing along with a reduction in max boost. 185MM should run in excess of 22 PSI, and I can only budge 18-19 PSI at most... The Johnson pump alone with 3x flow could very well be all you need for your setup.
Yeah I think I've spent all I really want on this car once I get the windows tinted I think I'll leave it. Doesn't get too hot here in Sydney but lately it's hitting around/close to 40degrees celcius mark.

Yeah I think the johnson pump helps a lot and ever since I've put that in it's been running so sweet I'm amazed at the difference. If anything I think it might be time being 100k on the dial to do a full coolant flush and refill.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
SLK55 AMG, E320 BlueTec, ML350, (formerly) C32 AMG, MR2 Turbo, HD-FLH-FSE, BMW R100RS, Ducati M900
Cooling

I am running the the C3P pulley and intake as my only mods and am looking at the CM30 pump as a replacement for my old OEM. It still works OK but is at an age that most have had them die (60k mi). My understanding was that the CM30 displaced about the same water flow as the OEM as opposed to 3x more? Which is right?

I have tracked my car with the stock pump and after 30min of hard running did experience a drop in performance for about half a lap, but just backed off and cruised for a mile or so and it took off again by the front straight. That was a lot of abuse before heat soak became an issue. However, on that day it was only about 45-55 deg F ambient. Not sure I could expect the same result on a hot July day, lol. Still, if I could get a bit more cooling with just the pump I would like to do so.

Irish
Old 01-09-2010, 09:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 porsche 996 turbo
the cm30 replacement was due to the failures of the bosch more so than better flowing . i believe the numbers were 3.7 for the cm30 and 3.1 for the bosch. but it lasts longer
for the aussie guys, any cooling mods will b e a great improvement. it will also add to the life of your engine. separting the system helps greatly.
on mine i have supercooler cm30 180 tstat separted system. my temps are in the basement and s/c shutdown is a thing of the past.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:25 PM

2001 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by JG26_Irish
I am running the the C3P pulley and intake as my only mods and am looking at the CM30 pump as a replacement for my old OEM. It still works OK but is at an age that most have had them die (60k mi). My understanding was that the CM30 displaced about the same water flow as the OEM as opposed to 3x more? Which is right?

I have tracked my car with the stock pump and after 30min of hard running did experience a drop in performance for about half a lap, but just backed off and cruised for a mile or so and it took off again by the front straight. That was a lot of abuse before heat soak became an issue. However, on that day it was only about 45-55 deg F ambient. Not sure I could expect the same result on a hot July day, lol. Still, if I could get a bit more cooling with just the pump I would like to do so.

Irish
I'd recommend putting the Johnson pump in.. as you say at about 60k miles the stock one's just start becoming intermittent. Personally I bought my car and no lies on a hot day my S/C would cut out for up to 30-40% of the journey. Mechanics didn't know the issue and I told them about the pump replacement and they said it should be fine.. So I got my mechanic friend to do the replacement and haven't looked back since. No S/C cut out at all so far but on a hot day if I WOT then I feel some lag/slip? Not sure the feeling but probably just less boost due to heat.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:00 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32 '02
there are quite a few options for HE; Yes, the HE from Eurocharged is not exactly a "bolt-on", but it does fit perfectly fine once you measured it right.

IMO the HE is a must have, the recovery time is so much faster, right now the temperature difference is only 11 degrees C, after a long drive, when all parts are up to temperature. The stock HE holds very very little liquid, about 500-700CC, while the EC HE held almost double that amount.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
i have the code3 one. I believe its suppose to a be a spearco core when it was code3. Not sure if it still is. Its bolt on if you don't have the head light washers.

You might want to give them a email. Just be warned, you should ask if they have it in stock because there known to take forever to get parts.

http://www.hpashop.com/product.sc?pr...&categoryId=58
Old 01-11-2010, 07:52 AM

2001 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by TemjinX2
i have the code3 one. I believe its suppose to a be a spearco core when it was code3. Not sure if it still is. Its bolt on if you don't have the head light washers.

You might want to give them a email. Just be warned, you should ask if they have it in stock because there known to take forever to get parts.

http://www.hpashop.com/product.sc?pr...&categoryId=58
What mods are you running and can I ask why you bought the code 3 HE and if you like it? If I do buy one it will be this one..simple for plug and play reasons.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
Originally Posted by Beaker
What mods are you running and can I ask why you bought the code 3 HE and if you like it? If I do buy one it will be this one..simple for plug and play reasons.
At the time it cost the same as the LET heat exchanger but it was direct bolt on with no modding. It bolts to the two crash bolts under the crash bar. You just unscrew the bolts and screw it back and your done.

Brandon also said it has a spearco core at the time, so that sold me as well.

The LET heat exchange you do have to drill it to the crash bar. Its not difficult but something i didn't want to go through.

Either one is fine, I'm happy with my code3 one. Its probably one of the best products brandon ever produced.

I'd recommend the LET one so you dont have to wait weeks for your heat exchanger like i did.

I have a LET 185mm and LET Tune.