C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

S55 Owner looking for help: Interior lights dimming all the time

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 03:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S55 Owner looking for help: Interior lights dimming all the time

I have a 2005 S55 with 54K on it. Battery was replaced 6 months ago and alternator was checked out to be alright from Autozone.

My interior lights get dim constantly while driving. I will get random message of check radiator, my temp needle will start rising and then will go down randomly.

I am posting this message as the S55 forum is dead. Almost no one is a DYI and takes their cars to dealers. I can't afford to spend $500 for something that might be small to fix.

Please tell me what can be causing the dimming of my lights and the random gremlins which I firmly belive are related to the dimming of my lights. Any input will be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

-Sal
Old 02-18-2010, 03:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
have you posted in the W211 E55 forum? they're usually pretty good over there

i would have definitely thought alternator. do you have any aftermarket pulleys on there? maybe something is underdriving or overdriving the alternator?

battery and alternator passed load tests? do you know what your voltage read out was from the battery?

i'm currntly having electrical problems, so i feel your pain.

your radiator problem sounds kind of odd...not sure if it has to do with your electrical problems...but obviously if your temps go up to an abnormal temp, then maybe there IS a problem there. what do your temps usually go up to? how often do you get this message? under what driving conditions?

i dont have much electrical knowledge....so hopefully someone else can chime in....but thats a start for questions for you.....
Old 02-18-2010, 07:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 C230 and 1985 Monte SS
To me, it sounds like the internal regulator in the alternator. How often does it do it? With our cars, you can turn on dyno mode and it will give you a digital readout of the voltage in the instrument cluster message display. Maybe you can do something similar and pay attention to the value when the lights dim. If the voltage fluctuates alot, it's probably the regulator in the alternator. It should increase some as RPMs increase.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by jturkel
have you posted in the W211 E55 forum? they're usually pretty good over there

i would have definitely thought alternator. do you have any aftermarket pulleys on there? maybe something is underdriving or overdriving the alternator?

battery and alternator passed load tests? do you know what your voltage read out was from the battery?

i'm currntly having electrical problems, so i feel your pain.

your radiator problem sounds kind of odd...not sure if it has to do with your electrical problems...but obviously if your temps go up to an abnormal temp, then maybe there IS a problem there. what do your temps usually go up to? how often do you get this message? under what driving conditions?

i dont have much electrical knowledge....so hopefully someone else can chime in....but thats a start for questions for you.....

The battery and the alternator passed the load test. I however, do not know the read out. It sounds like Alternator regulator or a ground wire... I will update my finding here. Thank you for replying and yes I have posted the same thread in E55 forum. Much appreciated.
-Sal
Old 02-18-2010, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by SickSpeedMonte
To me, it sounds like the internal regulator in the alternator. How often does it do it? With our cars, you can turn on dyno mode and it will give you a digital readout of the voltage in the instrument cluster message display. Maybe you can do something similar and pay attention to the value when the lights dim. If the voltage fluctuates alot, it's probably the regulator in the alternator. It should increase some as RPMs increase.

It does it all the time mate. I am going to look into this dyno mode you are talking about. I have to search on how to put my car in dyno mode. I will keep you guys posted. Thank you.
-Sal
Old 02-22-2010, 01:54 PM

Culprit-Voltage Regulator on the Alternator

Culprit-Voltage Regulator on the Alternator.

Can any one tell me how hard it is to change this voltage regulator ? My MB is charging me $821 to change the voltage regulator. Obviously I am not going to pay that, so please tell me how easy it is to change a voltage regulator on an alternator. Thank you in Advance.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:54 PM

S55 VOLTAGE REGULATOR

In regards to my this thread https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...ml#post3951913

Culprit-Voltage Regulator on the Alternator.

Can any one tell me how hard it is to change this voltage regulator ? My MB is charging me $821 to change the voltage regulator. Obviously I am not going to pay that, so please tell me how easy it is to change a voltage regulator on an alternator. Thank you in Advance.