C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Stupid things Ive learned about my car an embarrassingly long time after I bought it.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 12:39 AM
pww

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 C55 AMG
Amazing thread, and the AUX jack couldn't be more convenient timing, I've got a road trip tomorrow!!
Old 07-16-2010, 01:34 AM

03 C32 AMG
Just found out about the little metal hooks between the seat back and seat bottom in the back seat.. are able to fold into the seat.

I've been driving around with them sticking out for the past year unaware of them being able to fold in like this!
Old 08-02-2010, 02:15 PM

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
2004 E55
Originally Posted by loudandheard
If you have two keys, each one is capable of having it's own setting. One key is a master key while one is designated as a spare, I think.
So I noticed that the key I had taken as my Key doesn't seem to work with the convenience window feature So I swapped keys with my wife last night. Her's works so I go to get in the car this morning and all my presets were gone! I had the Key Dependency on. How do I set each key independently? does it just automatically set it self when you have the specific key in the car and you set the settings?
Old 08-02-2010, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 Sl55, 09 civic, 09 mitsu spyder(wifes), 97 Lx 450
Im kind of lazy myself, ive had my car for three weeks now and still havnt set the correct time or figured out how to use the navigation, ill just wait till my son comes back to visit, darn techno nerds
Old 08-11-2010, 08:39 AM

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
'03C32 Obsidian Black, '76Toyota Celica GT TRD, '12R350 4matic Arctic White, '06 ML 350 arctic white
I guess we have a back-up battery for the alarm. I disconnected my baterry last night, both + and -, and my alarm went off.......i was like ....."huh?" can someone verify this?
Old 08-11-2010, 09:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32/C55 AMG
Originally Posted by W203Ramos
I guess we have a back-up battery for the alarm. I disconnected my baterry last night, both + and -, and my alarm went off.......i was like ....."huh?" can someone verify this?
I think the alarm has one built in, but there has been a lot of people saying there is not one and others saying that there is one.

The thing is that the car alarm should not be armed when you disconnect the battery. I have never had my alarm come on when I've disconnected the battery. I would reconnect every thing and shut off the alarm. You may have a setting set to turn the alarm on even after you turn off the car. Never hurts to check.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:31 PM

C32AMG
Do you know that there is redundant backups for some of your lights? Eg If your turn signal bulb burns out in the rear the brake lights or is it the marker lights can't remember will be used for your signal. If a brake light bulb burns out the rear maker lights will become marker and brake lights (very cool) all controlled by the ECU, I am not sure if it works on regular C class sedans. For the front lights if your front white parking light goes the -little one beside the headlight- and you use the park feature - turn headlight knob all the way left - the foglight will be used instead.

If you hold the lock and unlock button on your remote until the red led flashes twice (takes about 5 seconds) it will program how your car unlocks the doors (all doors or just the drivers door)

You can lock your trunk (valet) You can also open your trunk if the battery is totally dead with the little key on your remote (found that one out once when I needed my jumpers in my trunk)

For those people who have an air compressor in their car you should have a bottle of puncture sealer as well and a small foldable wheel chock for "changing your spare" that never came with the 02 C32 =)

Dont forget to yank your headrests out before you fold them down and flip up the rear seat bottom cushion parts to avoid scratching up the Nappa Leather.

If you have gone through the cars menus there is an option for the seats to move back and steering wheel to swing up when you pull the key out, then go back to the original position when you get back in and put your key in. Great after an all you can eat buffet.

Last edited by TC32AMG; 08-11-2010 at 07:33 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55
Originally Posted by TC32AMG
Do you know that there is redundant backups for some of your lights? Eg If your turn signal bulb burns out in the rear the brake lights or is it the marker lights can't remember will be used for your signal. If a brake light bulb burns out the rear maker lights will become marker and brake lights (very cool) all controlled by the ECU, I am not sure if it works on regular C class sedans. For the front lights if your front white parking light goes the -little one beside the headlight- and you use the park feature - turn headlight knob all the way left - the foglight will be used instead.

If you hold the lock and unlock button on your remote until the red led flashes twice (takes about 5 seconds) it will program how your car unlocks the doors (all doors or just the drivers door)

You can lock your trunk (valet) You can also open your trunk if the battery is totally dead with the little key on your remote (found that one out once when I needed my jumpers in my trunk)

For those people who have an air compressor in their car you should have a bottle of puncture sealer as well and a small foldable wheel chock for "changing your spare" that never came with the 02 C32 =)

Dont forget to yank your headrests out before you fold them down and flip up the rear seat bottom cushion parts to avoid scratching up the Nappa Leather.

If you have gone through the cars menus there is an option for the seats to move back and steering wheel to swing up when you pull the key out, then go back to the original position when you get back in and put your key in. Great after an all you can eat buffet.
All, very good information. I've been wondering what that metal thing in my tire kit was. Also removing the headrest is very good advice. Especially when you keep your front seats in the most rear position as I do.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:44 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Mercedes S55 AMG
Ha, I have an S55 but this happened to me too...like 8 months after I had the car, I noticed the knob behind the steering wheel, hit it, and the lady talked. I never knew I had voice command until then!

Originally Posted by mdncn2762
I discovered about a year ago that I had voice command on my 02 C32. I accidently hit while driving and ladies voice came over the speakers. Anyone have the instructions for the voice command feature??????
Old 08-15-2010, 11:16 PM

2001 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by mdncn2762
I discovered about a year ago that I had voice command on my 02 C32. I accidently hit while driving and ladies voice came over the speakers. Anyone have the instructions for the voice command feature??????
I have a 02 and can't seem to find the button?
Old 10-12-2010, 11:59 AM

LADA 1600
According to AMG Designer Claus Hieke, the shape of the cooling fin in the front apron represent the "A" in "AMG". ...who knew! Now I'll think twice before slapping on an aftermarket lip and ruining all that good work.

Source: 2008 AMG Magazine, page 99.
http://www.mercedes-amg.com/webspeci...e/2008_en.html
Attached Thumbnails Stupid things Ive learned about my car an embarrassingly long time after I bought it.-c55apron.jpg  

Last edited by masterianvii; 10-12-2010 at 12:17 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:26 PM

LADA 1600
...just found out that the clip in the top right of the glove box is a pen holder!!
Old 12-10-2010, 04:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Aston Martin V8 Vantage
Originally Posted by masterianvii
...just found out that the clip in the top right of the glove box is a pen holder!!

lol i thought it was to run the aux. cable more efficiently i'll check that out.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:44 PM

'06 C55
Originally Posted by masterianvii
Also perfect size for my tire pressure gauge.
The following users liked this post:
gofisch (12-13-2016)
Old 12-12-2010, 12:15 AM

2006 C55 AMG
Originally Posted by pww
Amazing thread, and the AUX jack couldn't be more convenient timing, I've got a road trip tomorrow!!
Where my AUX jack should be I have a cable hanging out with an iPod connector. When I connect my iPod it shows the MB logon the screen of the ipod and says "ok to disconnect". I have no way of using the ipod from that point. Nothing on the deck that allows me to change the input to it either. I just have CD, CDC (cd changer which i don't have) and Radio. Not sure what purpose this cable serves.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:34 AM

c32 AMG
Originally Posted by Biscuit
I'm right there with you, heh. From my other thread:

- "One-Touch" start (bump the key forward and the car starts itself)
- Sunglass holder in glovebox...although I can't actually fit sunglasses in mine.
what do you mean bump the key forward
Old 12-12-2010, 06:34 AM

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
'19 AMG E53 Cpe, '23 EQS 580 SUV, '89 560SL, '35 Ford 5w coupe, '53 MGTD and others
Originally Posted by halteh
Where my AUX jack should be I have a cable hanging out with an iPod connector. When I connect my iPod it shows the MB logon the screen of the ipod and says "ok to disconnect". I have no way of using the ipod from that point. Nothing on the deck that allows me to change the input to it either. I just have CD, CDC (cd changer which i don't have) and Radio. Not sure what purpose this cable serves.
Toggle through the center dash digital display while in AUX to get the iPod to play. I don't remember which page it's got to be on, but that's your only interface. Use the PHONE buttons on the steering wheel to navigate through the iPod menus.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:03 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55
Originally Posted by gruf
what do you mean bump the key forward
He just means you don't have to hold the key forward as in most cars. You just turn it and let go and the car continues to turn over.
Old 05-07-2015, 06:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 118 Posts
E63 SL55 996TT C5Z06
Originally Posted by 02C32guy
That's funny, I just learned that too. My mechanic did it to show me how one of the previous owners almost burned alive. Under the back seats is two fuel tanks and I guess the pump in between them burned through the floor. I'm probably not describing this well, but when you lift the seats up you can see charred parts. I'll go snap some pics. The mechanic couldn't believe it.
I am just getting my c32 back from the shop with this same fuel pump wiring problem. the connector was melted / charred and causing the car to not start after cranking. really scarry thinking of potential fire issue here.

the shop said they cleaned up the connector and re-attached and everything was working fine.

***anyone else who had this fuel pump wiring did you fix by replacing the wiring or did you replace the entire fuel pump & tank assembly which is how the replacement is sold (for $1500 or so I might add)????
Old 05-08-2015, 08:49 AM

2003 C32 AMG
I am in the final stages of fixing the exact same issue. Replaced the fuel pump assembly only for the same issue to return. Which was that the car would either run completely fine, or not turn over at all.

The shop checked over all the wiring connections after replacing the pumps and found a melted pin in the fuel pump wiring connector on the top of the fuel level sending unit.

Slightly different location but I think potentially all from the same route cause. My guess is the wiring may not be right on the edge of being able to handle the current/voltage of our fuel pumps. I have seen enough threads about it to see some sort of trend!
Old 03-22-2021, 08:48 AM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
2005 C55 AMG
Really old thread - I know.

After owning 3 different W203s... I just found out the center console armrest adjusts by just pulling up on the front. It then locks into place in one of 2 higher positions.

The sun visors can be extended out while unclipped and along the side windows.
Old 03-22-2021, 01:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 371 Likes on 279 Posts
05 c55 silver, 98 Imperial Red C43
You can toggle the command screen off while the command is on and playing. Hit the "serv" button and look for "screen off"

Also I have the euro cup holder in mine which has slots for coins. Kind of neat old school touch.

Also can someone elaborate on the rear seat fold forward part?

This is different from folding the rear seats down which is done by releasing the levers in the trunk?
Old 03-23-2021, 09:58 PM

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
asdas
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Spooky55
Really old thread - I know.

After owning 3 different W203s... I just found out the center console armrest adjusts by just pulling up on the front. It then locks into place in one of 2 higher positions.
I'm pretty sure I would have never figured this out if you hadn't mentioned it. I usually don't RTFM for this kind of stuff (creature comfort features etc.)
Old 05-02-2021, 01:27 AM

2005 C55 AMG
No one mentioned this one yet, maybe too obvious? The latch for the spare tire compartment hooks on to the rubber molding surround at the top of the trunk opening, with trunk lid open. That way it stays open, so you can access the spare tire and tools. I thought that was pretty neat, and it is first car I've owned that did that. Oh, and the trunk can't close with it up, so you'll know to unhook it afterwards.
Old 05-02-2021, 04:41 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2002 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by cbird805
No one mentioned this one yet, maybe too obvious? The latch for the spare tire compartment hooks on to the rubber molding surround at the top of the trunk opening, with trunk lid open. That way it stays open, so you can access the spare tire and tools. I thought that was pretty neat, and it is first car I've owned that did that. Oh, and the trunk can't close with it up, so you'll know to unhook it afterwards.
My car doesn't have that

My dads W202 does, and I've seen other W203s have it but my 2002 C32 which did not come with a spare originally, does not. I carry a full sized front wheel in the spare tire compartment though.