C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Stupid things Ive learned about my car an embarrassingly long time after I bought it.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 12:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55
Stupid things Ive learned about my car an embarrassingly long time after I bought it.

I don't know about you guys, but I am constantly finding out new things about the car. Some of them make me feel so stupid. Here's a few off the top of my head.

- There's an auxiliary plug in the glove box
- If you hit star on the phone pad you can type in the radio station you want (for the longest time I couldn't believe there was no "tune" button.)
- How to set the time (I have Comand, but not the manual for it) I drove it for like a month around daylight savings with the wrong time.
- You can control the windows with the recirculate button
- You can reset the climate control system to factory defaults
- There's a handle to open the trunk. (I've had the car for almost a year and just realized this)

Also, It's not a function of the car, but I had to get it towed the other day because it wouldn't start and when it was up on the flat bed, I realized someone had removed the resonator already. For the longest time I've been happy with how my car sounded and wondered why so many people delete the resonator!

Anyway, Do you guys have any things like these you've run into, or am I just an idiot?
Old 02-22-2010, 01:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
Can you elaborate on these two?

Both of those are news to me.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:33 PM

2005 E55
You can find the reset feature here:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...imatronic.html

And the window trick here (post #5 and #6):

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...on-faulty.html
Old 02-22-2010, 01:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'03 C32, '08 ML63
I'm right there with you, heh. From my other thread:

- "One-Touch" start (bump the key forward and the car starts itself)
- Sunglass holder in glovebox...although I can't actually fit sunglasses in mine.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:28 PM

2005 E55
Originally Posted by Biscuit
I'm right there with you, heh. From my other thread:

- "One-Touch" start (bump the key forward and the car starts itself)
- Sunglass holder in glovebox...although I can't actually fit sunglasses in mine.
It's good to hear. There's a sunglass holder? Lol, as soon as I get my car back, I'm checking the glove box. I've always been annoyed with having to keep them in random places around the car ie. dash, ash tray, door etc...
Old 02-22-2010, 03:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 C55, 09 E350
The recirculate thing is if you hold the button down it closes all the windows. don't feel bad I never knew you could bump the key either.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by SilverBulletAMG
Can you elaborate on these two?

Both of those are news to me.
+2
Old 02-22-2010, 03:19 PM

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by 02C32guy
I don't know about you guys, but I am constantly finding out new things about the car. Some of them make me feel so stupid. Here's a few off the top of my head.

- There's an auxiliary plug in the glove box

Anyway, Do you guys have any things like these you've run into, or am I just an idiot?
l I the auxiliary plug is the best one on my list my wife's c320 didnt have command so plug wasnt there i never though about checking mine since i have command so i went to the dealership's parts window after reading the famous w203 mod thread about the auxiliary jack. only to get the look followed by excuse me sir the part is already incorporated in your car it should be in glove box i felt stupid but i was glad i didnt have to do the work
Old 02-22-2010, 03:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by 02C32guy
You can find the reset feature here:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...imatronic.html

And the window trick here (post #5 and #6):

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...on-faulty.html
Old 02-22-2010, 03:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Talking

(if windows are open)If you are next to drivers door...press and hold the alarm set button on key fob for a few seconds and windows will close..(if they are closed) and you wish to open them get next to drivers door and on key fob press the door unlock,alarm disarm for a few seconds then watch the windows open..hold unlock button til desired window position
Old 02-22-2010, 08:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 C55, 09 E350
what does the one bump start mean I thought it meant you push down on the key instead of turning it, but that didn't work. Does it just mean you don't have to hold it to the right until it starts? If so then I guess I did know that
Old 02-22-2010, 08:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
if you, or your drunk buddies, push the red SOS button (in the front dome light area) and you dont have an SOS subscription or whatever, it shut off your music for like 10 minutes and be really annoying. don't accidentally push ( or let anyone else purposely push ) the button. so annoying lol
Old 02-22-2010, 09:11 PM

Marsaydees
my car doesnt have rain sensing wipers, why cant i adjust the intermittent wipe like most other cars?
Old 02-22-2010, 09:57 PM

'05 C55 AMG
Has anyone noticed that at night only the rear view and left side mirror dim but the right side mirror doesn't it? I thought something was broken until I read in the manual that it was supposed to be like that.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:17 AM

'03 C32, '08 ML63
Originally Posted by JonMBZ
what does the one bump start mean I thought it meant you push down on the key instead of turning it, but that didn't work. Does it just mean you don't have to hold it to the right until it starts? If so then I guess I did know that
Yeah, you just twist the key to the right to the start position (when the starter actually starts spinning) and then you can let go. The key springs back to the normal 'On' position but the car will keep running the starter until the car is running. Freaked me out the first time I did it because it was purely accidental.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:56 AM

2005 E55
Originally Posted by Dingleberry
my car doesnt have rain sensing wipers, why cant i adjust the intermittent wipe like most other cars?
Are you sure it doesn't have rain sensing wipers? Maybe it does and they just don't work. Do a search. Someone a little while back posted a site where you can input your vin and it decodes the number and lists all of your options.

I just saw the rain sensing wiper module on ebay pretty cheap.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Dingleberry
You may actually have them but they aren't working properly. If you had your windshield replaced at any time, they could have muffed it. For example, I know I had that feature and use it all the time. Had a rock chip my windsheild and replaced it, but when they replaced it, the rain sensing feature wouldn't work. Turns out there is a special windshield needed and they gave me the wrong one. They replaced the windshield again and now it works like a champ. Just a thought....
Old 02-23-2010, 01:27 PM

C32 AMG
Where's the trunk open handle?

Things I realized:

1. Climate program mode
2. Dyno mode
3. Radio gets louder at higher speeds
4. Rain sensing wipers
5. Red button on hood strut that opens the hood straight up(my favorite feature)
6. Resyncing the sunroof
7. The car remembers if you use the back seat. IE, If you park, unlock the car, open the rear door, close it, and lock the car up... then when you come back to your car and unlock it, the rear door will be unlocked the first time you press the button.
8. Holding the shifter to the left while driving
9. Trunk escape button

I still don't know what the button that has a picture of a hook, a car, and says "OFF" does...
Old 02-23-2010, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32/C55 AMG
Originally Posted by Forza1

Things I realized:

1. Climate program mode
2. Dyno mode
3. Radio gets louder at higher speeds
4. Rain sensing wipers
5. Red button on hood strut that opens the hood straight up(my favorite feature)
6. Resyncing the sunroof
7. The car remembers if you use the back seat. IE, If you park, unlock the car, open the rear door, close it, and lock the car up... then when you come back to your car and unlock it, the rear door will be unlocked the first time you press the button.
8. Holding the shifter to the left while driving
9. Trunk escape button

I still don't know what the button that has a picture of a hook, a car, and says "OFF" does...
That button turns on the anti-tow feature. When your car is elevated past a certain point with the feature on, your car's alarm will go off.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:26 PM

I DON'T COME HERE ANYMORE
there is a pen clip in the glove box....4 rep pts to the first member to find it!
As for just the Drivers mirror dimming-99% of cars with auto dim side mirrors are this way-the pass. side mirror is not a 1:1 ratio-and the light hitting it isnt as bright becuase of this....
Old 02-23-2010, 03:32 PM

Marsaydees
Originally Posted by SilverBulletAMG
You may actually have them but they aren't working properly. If you had your windshield replaced at any time, they could have muffed it. For example, I know I had that feature and use it all the time. Had a rock chip my windsheild and replaced it, but when they replaced it, the rain sensing feature wouldn't work. Turns out there is a special windshield needed and they gave me the wrong one. They replaced the windshield again and now it works like a champ. Just a thought....
i dont know, this is how the car was when i bought it used. when i pop the cover off behind the rearview, i can only see one sensor on the left for headlights, there is a blank spot on the right. the windshield says ppg sunshade solextra. i don't know if it's original. are you saying cars without rain sensing wipers have adjustable intermittent settings?
Old 02-23-2010, 03:59 PM

'12 E63, E55(sold), C32 (sold), '65 Skylark GS 445 convertible, '12 ML350
I just found the pen clip while looking for my aux jack.

Which I still can't find. Where the heck is that?!?!?!?
Old 02-23-2010, 04:02 PM

2005 E55
Originally Posted by Forza1
Yeah, it's above the license plate. Under the Mercedes emblem.
The following users liked this post:
abqhudson (06-17-2023)
Old 02-23-2010, 04:04 PM

2005 E55
Originally Posted by pullejo
I just found the pen clip while looking for my aux jack.

Which I still can't find. Where the heck is that?!?!?!?
Where's the pen clip? The audio jack is on the right wall of the glove box toward the front. It's not labeled or anything. It't just a simple headphone style jack. I think you have to have Comand for it to be there.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:13 PM

'12 E63, E55(sold), C32 (sold), '65 Skylark GS 445 convertible, '12 ML350
Yep. No command. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I'd trade that 6 disc changer for an aux jack any day.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Stupid things Ive learned about my car an embarrassingly long time after I bought it.