Results from the Dyno

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 07:38 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG
Do not take a dremel to your TB....

Intake is a waste of money on the M113s, the stock one flows nicely just as is with K&N filters.

throttle body will help a small amount (maybe 8-10HP at most). Don't compare to FI guys, remember you have an NA engine and throttle bodies on NA engines do not produce nearly the same gains as on FI cars so you are comparing apples vs. oranges. Its the LAST mod you should ever do and most of the gains will be in the higher rpms, won't do much for low end.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2001 E430
Originally Posted by RLx02
I wonder if anyone has ever dremeled out their throttle body...maybe I'll do some experimenting

Phenolic spacers anyone?
Some of the members on the W211 page have done this on their cars. They dremeled the pivot shaft to a smaller diameter which gives more flow but they didn't increase the overall TB diameter. Over on the Crossfire website some of the guys have also knife edged the TB plate. There are companies out there that will bore out the TB but there is not much room to go any bigger on these stock TB's. I don't know how much any of this would help an NA engine. Obviously not as much as it helps a SC engine.

I have a set of phenolic spacers I'm planning to install. I doubt they will make any difference except slowing down the heat transfer a bit longer.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:10 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

AMG
Yes, but what these amateur DIYers don't understand is they are dremeling it completely the wrong way. If you want to do it properly you need to completely machine the front halfshaft and leave the entire rear shaft in place. You NEED those threads on the back halfshaft otherwise you risk damaging the threads and even worse what if a screw gets loose and falls into the engine (which will inevitably happen). Knife edging won't help much, plus you need a good angled seal. Removing the front halfshaft will do much more than knife edging the throttle plate. Even so... all these changes will make a very minor difference compared to a significantly larger diameter bore.

Hopefully some of these guys read this before they make a big mistake....
Old 03-05-2010, 01:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG C43, 1999
If you were to machine the TB shaft you would want to do it so the shaft is shaped like an airfoil. So the front half of the shaft when the TB is opened all the way should remain at or near the stock dimension and then the rear or trailing edge of the shaft would be tapered back to form an elongated tear drop shape. The front of the tear drop shape would be facing the airflow and the rear of the tear drop shape would allow the airflow to smoothly reattach itself as it comes over the shaft.

If you machine it the other way, with the tapered edge facing the airflow then you would certainly lose airflow due to turbulance through the TB. Knife edgeing the TB plate most likely achieves no real gain in airflow and could really mess up the idle rpm and idle stability.

Jeff
Old 03-05-2010, 01:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
C55
Originally Posted by AMS Performance
Do not take a dremel to your TB....

Intake is a waste of money on the M113s, the stock one flows nicely just as is with K&N filters.

throttle body will help a small amount (maybe 8-10HP at most). Don't compare to FI guys, remember you have an NA engine and throttle bodies on NA engines do not produce nearly the same gains as on FI cars so you are comparing apples vs. oranges. Its the LAST mod you should ever do and most of the gains will be in the higher rpms, won't do much for low end.
Thats what I was thinking. So in your opinion port and polishing the TB is pretty much worthless? Only people who are forcing large amounts of air into their intake manifold would need a larger TB so I decided that 2000 dollars for a TB is a waste of money if it only makes ~10hp. I think for the 5.4 n/a motor really all you can do is exhaust work, tune and a pulley while keeping it N/A without breaking the bank.

Originally Posted by suicidal4life
Some of the members on the W211 page have done this on their cars. They dremeled the pivot shaft to a smaller diameter which gives more flow but they didn't increase the overall TB diameter. Over on the Crossfire website some of the guys have also knife edged the TB plate.

I have a set of phenolic spacers I'm planning to install. I doubt they will make any difference except slowing down the heat transfer a bit longer.
I can't imagine knife edging a TB plate to 1mm difference would create much gain either.

Please keep us updated on how the phenolic spacers do on the w211! BTW you should like, give me your brakes

Last edited by RLx02; 03-05-2010 at 01:45 AM.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
just save for a sc and call it a day.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
C55
Originally Posted by AMS Performance
all these changes will make a very minor difference compared to a significantly larger diameter bore.
Are there any other larger TB's from other cars that can bolt on with few modifications? A member in the w211 that I met at the dyno meet had a larger audi TB that he bolted on and only had to cut off a small flange but it works just fine from what I remember.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:43 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

AMG
Originally Posted by RLx02
Thats what I was thinking. So in your opinion port and polishing the TB is pretty much worthless? Only people who are forcing large amounts of air into their intake manifold would need a larger TB so I decided that 2000 dollars for a TB is a waste of money if it only makes ~10hp. I think for the 5.4 n/a motor really all you can do is exhaust work, tune and a pulley while keeping it N/A without breaking the bank.
Honestly.... yes it is a waste haha. Look for power elsewhere. That's why the development of our BBTB has taken a back seat because the gains are relatively small for the NA 55s. There are more ways to make power which AMS is currently working on for much less. Stage 4 setup (headers, pulley, cats, ECU) is a very powerful potent setup and very few people even get to that level so there's no point in doing TB until you reach that level of modifications.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 CLK 55
I say, SC is ultimate solution of power for our NA 55
Old 03-05-2010, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
2013 C63 AMG P31, 2014 GMC Sierra (6.2)
Weight savings might be more effective at this point before a throttlebody. IE: Recaros (Save 80-100lbs)...
Old 03-05-2010, 01:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I DON'T COME HERE ANYMORE
NAWS!
Old 03-10-2010, 12:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 C63
my 150 shot works just fine when I need it. very cheap compared to heads, cams, headers, superchargers, etc. 100,250 miles and no problems yet!
Old 12-04-2011, 09:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W209 CLK55 AMG Kompressor, ATV BRP 800 CAN-AM
My Friends How's everyone? I need some help...I have Clk 55 2004 year,just have a tune on it and k&n filters,looking forward to improve the power & torque but i dont want to spend much money...if any can give me some help or suggestions,i would really appreciate it !
PS: Resonator not deleted, Cat not deleted,Everything concerning the exhaust system is still stock and original

Thanks&Reagrds