C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

C32 door speakers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 12:51 AM

Received 108 Likes on 85 Posts
2014 C63
C32 door speakers

inspired by overdrive's DIY replacement car audio system, I have decided to pullout nearly everything in the car and go with something else. I'm going to keep the command unit obviously, but I've already ordered a few amps, all the wiring, already a subwoofer, and a few other loose ends.

I'm going to have the installation done professionally, but wanted to hand pick the peices myself. I was a little disappointed that Phoenix Gold had gone down hill in the car audio scene since I last checked. That being said, I picked up a few soundstream amps. A mono amp for the subwoofer, and a 4 channel amp for the door speakers.

I have not however, purchased any replacement speakers for the doors. I am a little worried about the mounting depth and was wondering if anyone had some input on it?

Overdrive informed me the fronts are 6.5 and backs are 5.25 with both having a 1.5" mounting depth...not much. Most of the component sets I have been looking at are 2-2.5" mounting depth. There are some "shallow mount" options available, but they are 2-way speakers and I wanted to get some higher quality component speakers like Focal or MB Quart. I know speakers can be fit with spacers to eliminate this problem, but what I don't want is the speakers to be "spaced" too much and force the speakers to hit the grills and ruin the sound quality.

Does anyone have any insight on this? Has anyone replaced the door speakers before? If so, what did you replace them with?
Old 03-02-2010, 02:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Volvo
YAY im mentioned !! Ya, i think its 1.5 on the depth, I'm still using the stock speakers with what I did. Are you going to be running 2 ohm speakers or 4 ohm? Stock bose are 2 ohm, regular system with out bose is 4 ohm. Most aftermarkets are 4 ohm. The speaker grills are very cheap and can break easily

For those who are wondering, I completed the Preface lift to the 2005+ Comand face life... DIY listed in my sig
Old 03-02-2010, 07:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
I have infinities, the ones thats a step below the kappas on mine. You can reuse the oem spacers for the speakers. After that it fit perfect like oem.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:58 AM

2014 C63
Originally Posted by OverDrive
YAY im mentioned !! Ya, i think its 1.5 on the depth, I'm still using the stock speakers with what I did. Are you going to be running 2 ohm speakers or 4 ohm? Stock bose are 2 ohm, regular system with out bose is 4 ohm. Most aftermarkets are 4 ohm. The speaker grills are very cheap and can break easily

For those who are wondering, I completed the Preface lift to the 2005+ Comand face life... DIY listed in my sig
I'm going to use 4 ohm speakers. The amp I bought will do 2 ohm, but the component sets I want run at 4. I'm assuming I will need to run new speaker wire into the doors and back to the trunk for the 4 channel amp correct?

I did see some "shallow mount" speakers, but they are 2 way speakers and what I really want is a set of component speakers. I can't find any shallow mount components.

It would be hard to image that you can't fairly easily fit a set of speakers in the doors that are more than 2" in depth. I was assuming there are tons of W203s out there with some nice door speakers.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'03 C32, '08 ML63
There should be a bundle of wires in the trunk running to the amp which goes to each speaker in the car. I just used that and it's a heck of a lot easier than trying to re-run wires for everything.

In all my previous installations I've re-run wire -- usually a 12ga OFC type. I just didn't want to tear the car apart so completely this time and just reused what was there. Works just fine...I'm just not as pleased with the speakers I bought as I was hoping to be. Definitely going back to CDT Audio next time, heh.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:59 PM

2014 C63
After doing some more research, it appears that I may be able to use these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/SAK-2015-Mercede...item2301d93a0a

those look as if they would add ~ 1" to the mount depth, and combined with the 1.5" that are already there, I'd say that would allow me to mount speakers almost 2.5" in depth.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLA
Crutchfield.com should list out all the speakers that fit. I'm planning to go with JLAudio or Kicker.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by skullbox15
inspired by overdrive's DIY replacement car audio system, I have decided to pullout nearly everything in the car and go with something else. I'm going to keep the command unit obviously, but I've already ordered a few amps, all the wiring, already a subwoofer, and a few other loose ends.

I'm going to have the installation done professionally, but wanted to hand pick the peices myself. I was a little disappointed that Phoenix Gold had gone down hill in the car audio scene since I last checked. That being said, I picked up a few soundstream amps. A mono amp for the subwoofer, and a 4 channel amp for the door speakers.

I have not however, purchased any replacement speakers for the doors. I am a little worried about the mounting depth and was wondering if anyone had some input on it?

Overdrive informed me the fronts are 6.5 and backs are 5.25 with both having a 1.5" mounting depth...not much. Most of the component sets I have been looking at are 2-2.5" mounting depth. There are some "shallow mount" options available, but they are 2-way speakers and I wanted to get some higher quality component speakers like Focal or MB Quart. I know speakers can be fit with spacers to eliminate this problem, but what I don't want is the speakers to be "spaced" too much and force the speakers to hit the grills and ruin the sound quality.

Does anyone have any insight on this? Has anyone replaced the door speakers before? If so, what did you replace them with?
I have in my sig a thread on my install of my kenwood DNX7100 read up it may help you.(Welcome to better sound)
Old 03-04-2010, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
I have upgraded my fronts and they are 2.5" deep.

I have used mdf rings as adapters/spacers instead of plastic ones; I recomend you to use mdf also, it's cheaper and much better for sq.

Regarding rewiring speakers, I also recomend you to do it. It will be only a little more cash, because all the "dismantling" job have to done anyway to wire battery to the trunk for the amps.

PD: Sorry for bad english