C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

'02 C32 Command - no sound

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 10:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL600 r230, SL600 r129,, SL500 r230, ML320, C280 Sport, 190e 2.3 16V (2)
'02 C32 Command - no sound

My son is on the way to Florida in this car with no sound, so he's listening to his I-Pod. The other day, his COMMAND went dead. Searched, found out how to pull it out to get to the fuse.

Blown fuse.

Background - he recently bought the car, the PO never used to CD changer, and one of the holders was stuck, and the magazine would not eject. In trying to get it to eject, the COMMAND went dead.

Replaced fuse, radio, in-unit CD, and Nav all worked. Didn't even need to enter a code to get it to work. Then he tried to, against my advice, to get the CD player to work. Popped The fuse again.

Pulled it all again (first time, about 1/2 hour to figure out, the last time, not even two minutes!). Replaced the fuse. Pulled the CD unit out, took it apart, got the magazine slide back in, and reassembled. Again, he insisted on trying the cd out. Something popped, sound went away. COMMAND still on, but no sound.

Took it all apart, its fuse was ok, as are 64 in the engine compartment fuse box and I believe it was 25 in the left side dash fuse box.

We now have the power removed (unplugged) from the CD changer and no sound. The radio portion finds all the local stations, the NAVI works, but no sound.

Any ideas what he can check once he gets down to Riviera Beach? Where is the amp for this thing? Is it the unit under the removable floor panel right behind the rear seat? I did not find a fuse on that unit.

Thanks!
Old 04-04-2010, 10:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55
Originally Posted by waybomb
My son is on the way to Florida in this car with no sound, so he's listening to his I-Pod. The other day, his COMMAND went dead. Searched, found out how to pull it out to get to the fuse.

Blown fuse.

Background - he recently bought the car, the PO never used to CD changer, and one of the holders was stuck, and the magazine would not eject. In trying to get it to eject, the COMMAND went dead.

Replaced fuse, radio, in-unit CD, and Nav all worked. Didn't even need to enter a code to get it to work. Then he tried to, against my advice, to get the CD player to work. Popped The fuse again.

Pulled it all again (first time, about 1/2 hour to figure out, the last time, not even two minutes!). Replaced the fuse. Pulled the CD unit out, took it apart, got the magazine slide back in, and reassembled. Again, he insisted on trying the cd out. Something popped, sound went away. COMMAND still on, but no sound.

Took it all apart, its fuse was ok, as are 64 in the engine compartment fuse box and I believe it was 25 in the left side dash fuse box.

We now have the power removed (unplugged) from the CD changer and no sound. The radio portion finds all the local stations, the NAVI works, but no sound.

Any ideas what he can check once he gets down to Riviera Beach? Where is the amp for this thing? Is it the unit under the removable floor panel right behind the rear seat? I did not find a fuse on that unit.

Thanks!
Try checking fuse 8 in the rear sam. I think that fuse controls the amplifiers. I attached the rear sam fuse chart for you.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Fuses and relays in rear.pdf (121.1 KB, 1049 views)
Old 04-04-2010, 11:43 AM

2006 C55 AMG
thanks for posting this PDF!
Old 04-04-2010, 11:50 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55
Originally Posted by riverace
thanks for posting this PDF!
No problem. These PDF's are some of the most helpful resources I've found. They make our ridiculously confusing electrical systems slightly less confusing. Here's the other two:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Interior fuses driver side.pdf (127.7 KB, 748 views)
Old 04-04-2010, 11:55 AM

I just called my son to tell him about fuse 8. He's going to to stop soon and get gas and check the fuse. I'll post when I find out if it was the fuse or not.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by 02C32guy
Try checking fuse 8 in the rear sam. I think that fuse controls the amplifiers. I attached the rear sam fuse chart for you.
Wasn't fuse 8.
Before he left yesterday, we also read about initializing the system - turning car on, turn command off, turn off car for at least two minutes. Tried all of that - a bunch of times and even for hours - no luck.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:54 PM

C32 AMG
About once a year I get in my car, turn on my command radio, and get static. FM, CD, etc all static. If I turn the power off and back on same thing. Turn the entre car off and back on and same thing.

But if I let it sit over night the next day its 100% fine. Has happened to me 3 times already. I just live with it.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:43 PM

2003 C32 AMG WAGON W203.265 (De)
There was an IC pump issue on my C32 last month.
After changing IC pump and check the fuse #5 and relay in the rear SAM, the supercharager still didn't work.

The engineer assume the rear SAM or front SAM have some problem but no error code beside (M44 IC pump power short ground etc...). The engineer add a relay between front fuse box (fuse of key start position) and IC pump using the wire directly to battery.
When the key is on ,the IC pump is started with battery power without pass through SAMs.
But the supercharager still wasn't worked.

Thanks God!
Finally , acoording the fuse chart in this site, I rechecked front and rear fuse #5, #7 #51(looked normal and exchanged with #49 the same amps) and #18 (there is NO relay on C and D in the rear SAM) in the fuse box and found my #18 fuse was broken.

After replace #18 (exchange with #5 7.5A) and all function runs well and got lose power back!

This result shows the SAM and FUSEs are different from years!
Thank you for who provide fuse chart in this side.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
Is the cd changer plugged in still? if you unpluged the optical cable or damaged it the ring connection would be lost and the sound could not make it to the bose amp to be output.