Help me choose my wheel paint

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 12:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32/C55 AMG
Help me choose my wheel paint

I plan on refinishing my rims and I wanted to get everyone's input. I wanted to keep the color of the wheels as close to OEM as I can, but there is no set answer as to what the closest color is to OEM.

From the research I've done the color of the wheels are suppose to be brilliant silver, same color as my car, but the color doesn't seem to match the body color of my car. The rims seem to be a darker metallic color than brilliant silver.

So I think these are my current options:
- Brilliant silver
- Iridium silver
- palladium silver
- indium grey (looks like anthracite)

I am open to any colors as well. Thanks!
Old 05-02-2010, 03:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32/C55 AMG
Does any body have a clue as to what color would look closest to OEM or what would look best over all?
Old 05-02-2010, 06:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 c32 AMG 2012 c250 Coupe
how about gunmetal grey..? like the sl65..?
Old 05-03-2010, 12:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32/C55 AMG
Originally Posted by saer1one
how about gunmetal grey..? like the sl65..?
Do you know the color code by any chance?
Old 05-05-2010, 09:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 c32 AMG 2012 c250 Coupe
sorry, wish i could help you there..
Old 05-22-2010, 07:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32/C55 AMG
Well, I decided to go with brilliant silver (744) because I was planning on painting a few other items.

What I was thinking of doing is going with a brilliant silver and doing it in either matte or satin finish. I plan on going all the way down to the metal, priming it, and then clear coat base coat. What I was wondering is if the color of the primer would matter. I tried doing research in to it, but I couldn't find a lot of info. I'm thinking of using a gloss black primer to make the silver a bit deeper and richer, but I'm not sure that the color of the primer will really make a difference.

Does anybody have any insight on what color of primer I should use? Do you think that the wheels will look good in matte or a satin finish?

The wheels are c55 wheels by the way.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:19 PM

05 C55 AMG
I see you plan on painting them yourself. It is a much better option to powder coat wheels as its much more durable. If you paint them you could get paint chips very easily. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by thegreatfnr; 05-22-2010 at 08:21 PM.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32/C55 AMG
Originally Posted by thegreatfnr
I see you plan on painting them yourself. It is a much better option to powder coat wheels as its much more durable. If you paint them you could get paint chips very easily. Just my 2 cents.
I could have had the wheels powdered coated for $150, but I was worried that the baking process would make the wheels brittle. I already cracked a rim in the past and it was only a few months old. So I bought enough paint to paint the wheels and a few additional items. I figure if I strip the wheels to bare metal and then prime it, then the paint should be significantly stronger. A lot of times it's the prep and the thickness of the paint that plays a big role in whether the paint will chip or not.
Old 05-23-2010, 02:12 PM

C32, 911 SC
Originally Posted by loudandheard
I tried doing research in to it, but I couldn't find a lot of info. I'm thinking of using a gloss black primer to make the silver a bit deeper and richer, but I'm not sure that the color of the primer will really make a difference.

Does anybody have any insight on what color of primer I should use? Do you think that the wheels will look good in matte or a satin finish?
Usually when you put gloss black undercoat, the metallic flakes topcoat will show better making the silver looks more vibrant. I would go with satin finish instead of matte or gloss. I think that sheen would look so good.

Good luck and have fun!
Old 05-23-2010, 03:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32/C55 AMG
Originally Posted by ddtham
Usually when you put gloss black undercoat, the metallic flakes topcoat will show better making the silver looks more vibrant. I would go with satin finish instead of matte or gloss. I think that sheen would look so good.

Good luck and have fun!
great idea, more than likely I'll do a satin sheen, it will last longer than a matte finish.