C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Battery Drianing But not from the Seats..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C32 AMG
Battery Drianing But not from the Seats..

So I have been having this problem where my battery keeps draining even thought I unplug the seats(was thinking it was a power seat controller). Is there anyway I can check where its comming from?
Are there anyother places that might be a sorce?

P.S I have a 2002 C32
Thanks again
Old 10-05-2009, 08:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32
You will need to put an ammeter in between you battery and the positive terminal (remove positive terminal). You can then measure the current draw. Then start pulling fuses and unplugging things until a big chunk of the amperage goes away. Do not try to start your car with the meter in place.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2002 C32, 2012 S550
Originally Posted by Zeppelin
You will need to put an ammeter in between you battery and the positive terminal (remove positive terminal). You can then measure the current draw. Then start pulling fuses and unplugging things until a big chunk of the amperage goes away. Do not try to start your car with the meter in place.
Sometimes, the dome light does it too.
Good luck!
Old 10-05-2009, 10:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
yeah its usually the fan from command or the overhead that controls the sun roof i think.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:32 AM

2002 C32 AMG

Ok so I dissconnect the battery from the + side and connect my meter to one side + battery and the other gose to the + cable for the car?

Sorry you kinda lost me.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:33 AM

2002 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Gramma_Benz
Sometimes, the dome light does it too.
Good luck!

Originally Posted by TemjinX2
yeah its usually the fan from command or the overhead that controls the sun roof i think.
how do I check if this is the problem is there any plugs i can pull to see if the battery dies?
Old 10-06-2009, 01:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32
Originally Posted by doom239
Ok so I dissconnect the battery from the + side and connect my meter to one side + battery and the other gose to the + cable for the car?

Sorry you kinda lost me.
That is exactly right. Then put your meter in the Current/Amps/Ammeter position.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C32, 2012 S550
Originally Posted by doom239
how do I check if this is the problem is there any plugs i can pull to see if the battery dies?
Use your fuse diagram to see what fuses correspond to various accessories. When you open up the side fuse panel on the left side of the dash(with door open) you will see a bunch of fuses and likewise, there should be a chart in there. So pull out fuses one at a time and see if the battery drain goes down on your Ammeter.

e.g. The first time I had the battery drain problem, we hooked up the ammeter, then pulled the fuse for the passenger seat control module. Then the battery draw dropped to a negligible draw, so I knew it was that seat module that was bad.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
recently, my car has been "struggling" a little to start. seems to take a little longer than usual to turn over as there has been a noticeable lag in this process. is this the sign of a battery drain problem? or perhaps the starter is going?

also, what is the normal battery voltage? i think my gauge was reading somewhere between 12.4 (while at idle) and 13 or so while driving.

Also, just parked my car. Came back five minutes later, put the key to the position just before turning the car on. Battery voltage reading between 12.1-12.4. Ugh.....starting to worry about my car. I already have my idler pulley bearing (or both of them going out). Thank god it is going in the shop on Thursday for an overhaul

Last edited by jturkel; 10-06-2009 at 02:41 AM.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C32, 2012 S550
Originally Posted by jturkel
recently, my car has been "struggling" a little to start. seems to take a little longer than usual to turn over as there has been a noticeable lag in this process. is this the sign of a battery drain problem? or perhaps the starter is going?

also, what is the normal battery voltage? i think my gauge was reading somewhere between 12.4 (while at idle) and 13 or so while driving.

Also, just parked my car. Came back five minutes later, put the key to the position just before turning the car on. Battery voltage reading between 12.1-12.4. Ugh.....starting to worry about my car. I already have my idler pulley bearing (or both of them going out). Thank god it is going in the shop on Thursday for an overhaul
Hey Josh,

This is exactly what happened to me when my CPS(Crank Position Sensor) went out. It would turn over more than usual before it started. Then it got progressively worse. Wouldn't start until the car cooled down, so I got it replaced ASAP. Luckily my mechanic keeps one in stock at all times since they go bad so often.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Gramma_Benz
Hey Josh,

This is exactly what happened to me when my CPS(Crank Position Sensor) went out. It would turn over more than usual before it started. Then it got progressively worse. Wouldn't start until the car cooled down, so I got it replaced ASAP. Luckily my mechanic keeps one in stock at all times since they go bad so often.
crap. i havent replaced mine yet. just checked battery voltage and it is now down to between 11.9-12.1 range. i'm thinking about unplugging the battery just in case it is a battery current draw. i dont have an ammeter. think i should unplug the battery just in case? doing so shouldnt erase my tune and could help me save my battery if it is battery related.

you dont think this can be pulley related do you? oddly enough, like the day after i noticed my idler pulley/bearings going, the car has been struggling more and more to start up.

and for the crank position sensor, is there a code it should throw? i have a reader. i did some research and while i havent replaced mine yet (and i'm at 86K or so)....but it doesnt seem like i have symptoms i think..?.....doesnt feel like the car wants to stall out at a red light or suddently shut off. feels strong while driving minus the bearing/pulley issue.

edit.....voltage now down to 11.7-11.9

anyone know what the voltage is suppposed to be at when the car is sitting and key is in position just before motor turns on?

Last edited by jturkel; 10-06-2009 at 03:04 AM.
Old 10-06-2009, 03:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not an AMG :(
Originally Posted by jturkel
crap. i havent replaced mine yet. just checked battery voltage and it is now down to between 11.9-12.1 range. i'm thinking about unplugging the battery just in case it is a battery current draw. i dont have an ammeter. think i should unplug the battery just in case? doing so shouldnt erase my tune and could help me save my battery if it is battery related.

you dont think this can be pulley related do you? oddly enough, like the day after i noticed my idler pulley/bearings going, the car has been struggling more and more to start up.

and for the crank position sensor, is there a code it should throw? i have a reader. i did some research and while i havent replaced mine yet (and i'm at 86K or so)....but it doesnt seem like i have symptoms i think..?.....doesnt feel like the car wants to stall out at a red light or suddently shut off. feels strong while driving minus the bearing/pulley issue.

edit.....voltage now down to 11.7-11.9

anyone know what the voltage is suppposed to be at when the car is sitting and key is in position just before motor turns on?
I've asked a few people this:

Y'all with 185mm overdrive pulleys: what is the output from your alternators?
Old 10-06-2009, 03:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by boohooramblers
I've asked a few people this:

Y'all with 185mm overdrive pulleys: what is the output from your alternators?
tell me how to find out and i will do it.....i dont have an ammeter or voltmeter though. just my OBDII gauge
Old 10-06-2009, 08:42 PM

2002 C32 AMG
I unpluged the #9 and #3 Fuze which are for the overhead console and still the battery died I dont know what it is I cant hear anything thats making any noise eather. Its really getting on my nerves now.

That is exactly right. Then put your meter in the Current/Amps/Ammeter position.

I did this and it shows 0 I dont see any power being used..
Here is a pictures of what i did.

Last edited by doom239; 10-07-2009 at 02:00 AM.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
disconnect your batter (ground terminal) every night.. until you find the problem.

I made this a nightly routine.. until I unplugged the over head console.... problem was gone.
Old 05-23-2010, 04:51 PM

AQUIRED A C63 AMG PPP
if it is the command fan whats the fix????