C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Reseting Service Indicator to "correct" service

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 11:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LADA 1600
Reseting Service Indicator to "correct" service

2006 C55. My service indicator used was indicating to me that I was due for Service A. However, according to the car's history, timelines, and service documentation it needed a service B. So, i did a service B.

When I reset the service indicator, as I expected, it got reset from Service A to Service B due in 10,000 miles. Then I tried resetting it again, so that it says Service A...but it still said Service B.

I figured it might be one of those things where it won't let you reset if you try resetting multiple times at once, so i waited couple of days.

Tried it three weeks and couple of hundred miles later again, hoping that the reset would go to Service A, but it just got reset to Service B again with a full 10,000 miles due .

How can I get it to say that the next service should be A? Is there a different way to reset other than through the steering wheel buttons and the reset button on the instrument cluster? Am I doing something wrong?

Do I need to the dealer to reset this? Will they charge me for it?

Thanks

Last edited by masterianvii; 05-12-2010 at 12:03 AM.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:33 AM

LADA 1600
No one has any ideas on this?
Old 05-14-2010, 10:53 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
You know, you could just keep it in your head that the "B" is the easy service, and the "A" is the more complicated one instead of beating your head against the wall repeatedly.

If you know anyone well at your dealership, I'm sure they would be able to get you the correct procedure. I've never seen this situation addressed here before, but it might have been.
Old 05-14-2010, 12:13 PM

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
'03C32 Obsidian Black, '76Toyota Celica GT TRD, '12R350 4matic Arctic White, '06 ML 350 arctic white
Hope this helps

Turn key in electronic ignition to position 1.
Press the system selection button repeatedly until the basic display (kilometer reading or temperature display) appears in the multifunction display.
Press the trip odometer reset button 3 times briefly. A signal tone sounds and the voftage display appears in the multifunction display.
Press lower scroll forward/back button the “Service menu” appears in the multifunction display.
Press buttons + and -‘ setting of specific functions and volume controls repeatedly and select ‘confirmation” menu item.
Press lower system selection button to confirm. “Confirmation appears in the display and the menu ftem “Complete service” is shown against a highlighting bar.
Press lower system selection button to confirm. “Service confirmed” appears in the display.
Press the upper system selection button repeatedly until the “Service Menu” is shown in the display.
Using the + and - buttons, setting of specific functions and volume controls, select menu item “Special work.’ Press lower system selection button to confirm.
Using the + and - buttons, setting of specific functions and volume controls, select menu item ‘Service 13.” Press lower system selection button to confirm.
Using the + and - buttons, setting of specific functions and volume controls, select the specification of the engine oil used “Standard oil” or “Oil quality 229.5.’ Press lower system selection button to confirm.
the message “Item confirmed” appears in the display.”
Old 05-14-2010, 03:19 PM

LADA 1600
Yes, I could just remember, but that would defeat the purpose of the system. Especially if there is an easy way to do it.

I'll give that a try W203Ramos, but don't know if it will work on a C55.

I did it by "holding" the reset button until the "Resetting service..." message appeared, and then "holding" it again to reset.

Will let you know if it worked. Thanks
Old 05-14-2010, 06:40 PM

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
'03C32 Obsidian Black, '76Toyota Celica GT TRD, '12R350 4matic Arctic White, '06 ML 350 arctic white
Originally Posted by masterianvii
Yes, I could just remember, but that would defeat the purpose of the system. Especially if there is an easy way to do it.

I'll give that a try W203Ramos, but don't know if it will work on a C55.

I did it by "holding" the reset button until the "Resetting service..." message appeared, and then "holding" it again to reset.

Will let you know if it worked. Thanks
holding the reset button does work but only to reset the current service these steps are for the c55 and it tells the car that the work was done thus, reseting to the next service due.

john.
Old 05-15-2010, 06:52 PM

LADA 1600
Hmm... so I just tried the above steps, and starting step 4, things didn't seem to match up.

I got to the voltage menu. I could scroll through a few fields, VIN, engine info, dyno mode, but no "service menu".

Then I fiddled some more, and realized that if i switched the ignition key to position 2, the "Service B due in 10000 miles" appeared as one of the scrolling choices.

I pressed the reset button once quickly on that menu, and an "Oil" menu appeared, allowing me to select "Standard, 229.3, and 229.5". I selected 229.5, pressed the up button, pressed the reset button for 3 seconds to confirm it, and "Service Confirmed" appeared.

I couldn't figure out how to get to any "Special services" menu.

I went back, and it still said Service B due in 10000 miles. Tried resetting it the standard way, and still nothing.

So I couldn't get it display Service A at all.

These instructions show up on couple of sites on google, but I don't think they are correct for the C55.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:17 PM

LADA 1600
So I found the correct instructions:
http://www.startekinfo.com/StarTek/o...stedDocId=9519

Followed them exactly, get the "service performed" confirmation, and still can't reset from service B to A. Still says "Service B due in 10000."

Any ideas?

Last edited by masterianvii; 05-23-2010 at 10:20 PM.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
Hmmm, there's probably a minimum miles (maybe 5k?) where it won't let you re-do it in case it was by mistake. By stating that you did a service B, I'm assuming you meant DIY and not dealer? If so, I wouldn't let this bug you. It's just a reminder for people when they have to visit the dealer - just stick with your normal routine of what you plan on doing every x miles or x months. Don't let a little reminder become your control factor.
Old 05-24-2010, 02:30 PM

LADA 1600
Yeah I guess so. Just curious, when resetting the reminder why do you have to select which oil was used? Are the reminder intervals dependent on that information, or is the car's computer affected?