Car wont start...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 09:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W210 E55 & W204 C63
Car wont start...

I tried starting the car today after a little less than a week of it sitting. The battery (which is less than a month old) was dead.
I took the battery for a warranty replacement and the car had power but wouldn't even crank. Once the key was in the start position the radiator fan started working very loudly...
Any ideas of what this might be?
Old 05-26-2010, 09:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32/C55 AMG
Based on your history you've had:
fuel pump replaced
cps replaced
battery replaced

What about the starter?
I really hope every thing turns out ok, it seems that you have had every problem these cars have.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 ///AMG, 535xi
check the top two fuses (squared, yellow) in the trunk, drivers side fuse box
Old 05-26-2010, 03:41 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
if everything powers on and does 'nothing' when you make that final turn on the key then my guess would be the faulty ignition switch where the key goes in. This has happened to me a few time where the car doesn't read the key and won't start. I didn't notice if the radiator fan would come on tho, so it still could be a different issue.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W210 E55 & W204 C63
Originally Posted by loudandheard
I really hope every thing turns out ok, it seems that you have had every problem these cars have.
I know...

Originally Posted by FrankW
if everything powers on and does 'nothing' when you make that final turn on the key then my guess would be the faulty ignition switch where the key goes in. This has happened to me a few time where the car doesn't read the key and won't start. I didn't notice if the radiator fan would come on tho, so it still could be a different issue.
thanks!

Originally Posted by advans
check the top two fuses (squared, yellow) in the trunk, drivers side fuse box
They are on the bottom in my car, what are they responsible for?
Are there any fuses in the engine bay that could be responsible for the car starting?

I just noticed that the shop working on my car forgot to put the fuse cover and some of the fuses got wet...
Old 05-26-2010, 05:32 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
another thing you can try is to unplug the ecu and reconnect it and see if that fix the problem. sometimes it is a simple glitch due to battery being drained.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:36 PM
spr
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do the lights dim when turing the ignition? If so its the battery. If not maybe the coding for the key/ecu. Try jump starting. If that doesn't work Pull the battery line and leave it off for 30 min. Then put back on and try again.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32/C55 AMG
Originally Posted by kindafast
I know...

thanks!

Are there any fuses in the engine bay that could be responsible for the car starting?

I just noticed that the shop working on my car forgot to put the fuse cover and some of the fuses got wet...
Same thing happened to my neighbor. I saw him working on his car and he was telling me that his dad had cut the power wire to the battery because the car was going crazy. He mentioned that the fan was going crazy and that the lights were coming on by themselves. Apparently all this was happening when it was raining and they could not find the correct socket to disconnect the battery.

Well, I went over and help him and he finally got the battery connected and it would not do any thing. Battery had a full charge and the electronics seemed to be normal, but the starter wouldn't even click.

So I was going over his car, he had the mb c230 sportscoupe and I noticed that he was missing the lid on his fuse box in the engine bay. I remember messing with mine a while back and that it had weather stripping around it. I figured to keep water out. So I came up with the idea to check his fuses in the glove box and what do you know, popped fuses. I don't know if it was due to the rain or if it was because he had cut the power wire to the battery and it had made a bad contact. We checked all of his fuses and coincidentally the only fuse box with popped fuses was in the engine compartment.

Check all the fuses and I hope this solves the problem. Good luck!!!
Old 05-27-2010, 07:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W210 E55 & W204 C63
Checked all the see-through fuses and reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery... nada.

Is there a way I can check the non see-through fuses?
Old 05-27-2010, 10:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 ///AMG, 535xi
Originally Posted by kindafast
I know...

thanks!

the yellow fuses, it is the fuel pump motor fuse, if its blown, the car won't crank.