178mm Pulley + Tune = $1200.00!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 04:05 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chrysler Crossfire
178mm Pulley + Tune = $1200.00!!!

I will be offering 5 combos of pulley/tune. Price includes shipping in the USA. If you would like it installed at our shop, price is $1300.00.

First 5 people only!
Old 06-13-2010, 05:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Marsaydees
ec has a deal for 185mm + tune for $1000...
Old 06-13-2010, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HPF E46 M3 Turbo, LET C32 AMG
what is the difference in boost between 178 and 185?
Old 06-13-2010, 07:11 PM

Volvo
178 = Around 18psi
185 = 22+ PSI
Old 06-13-2010, 07:16 PM

happen to know roughly how much hp each one makes above stock? And is 22 PSI going to shorten the life of the SC considerably? And can the stock intercooler even keep up?
Old 06-13-2010, 07:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by SETSEROCK
happen to know roughly how much hp each one makes above stock? And is 22 PSI going to shorten the life of the SC considerably? And can the stock intercooler even keep up?
i think that people usually see an additional 15-20 whp at least between the 178 and 185.

it is possible that the 22 psi will shorten the life of the sc, but so will the 178. you are running more boost. fwiw, the supercharger is cheap to buy off ebay.

if you upgrade to the 185, you SHOULD get an upgraded heat exchanger (not intercooler, but heat exchanger). LET sells them. Code3/HPAutowerks also makes them. I actually saw one of the latter for sale recently.

for the 185 though, you may also want to upgrade the intake and get colder spark plugs....and you will 100% require a tune
Old 06-13-2010, 09:36 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Chrysler Crossfire
Originally Posted by Dingleberry
ec has a deal for 185mm + tune for $1000...
For reasons of our own we don't like the 185mm. I can go into it this in great detail, but I would rather not.

That's a great deal though. Good thing we have a free market!
Old 06-14-2010, 03:13 PM

Without going into great detail, what is your reason for using the 178?
Old 06-14-2010, 03:53 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Chrysler Crossfire
Without going into great detail, what is your reason for using the 178?
Better track times, less heat problems, less strain on motor, easier to upgrade for more boost, better throttle response, better traction...
Old 06-14-2010, 04:05 PM

Marsaydees
Originally Posted by TVT_DESIGN
Better track times, less heat problems, less strain on motor, easier to upgrade for more boost, better throttle response, better traction...
track times? where's the proof

less heat? less power

less strain? less power

easier to upgrade? okay...

better throttle response? proof?

better traction? that happens when you make less power...
Old 06-14-2010, 04:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG

less heat? less power

less strain? less power

i think the only potential advantage of running a 178 vs a 185 actually comes if you run a 178 PLUS a machined down s/c pulley to give you the same boost as the 185.....and i think the advantage of that setup vs a 185 would be less rotating mass on the crank. other than that (a setup i have not tried), i feel ya. i've tried the code 3, the 178, and the 185 and the 185 easily feels the best.

and actually i think the 185 would have better throttle response since it apparently (read this somewhere, possibly the srt6 forum) activates the supercharger a little earleir.
Old 06-14-2010, 05:35 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Chrysler Crossfire

less heat? less power

less strain? less power

The fastest SRT6 cars run 178 pulleys and not all of them are stacked. (more SRTs drag then C32s that we get in the shop, so that's why I'm referencing them)

Heat does not equal power. If you increase your IAT then the power goes down.

More strain does not equal more power. The whole point of lightening pulleys and drivetrain is reduce strain and thus more power.

Having a lighter weight pulley with more of its mass closer to the center will give you better throttle response.

Better traction comes with a better power band. Making tons of TQ down low is great for the dyno, but since all of my customers drive their cars, traction is very important.

Think of the 185 as a big turbo. It gets the max amount of power when compared to a smaller turbo, but isn't all that great on the street.

For the majority of cars that do a simple pulley, tune, HE, CM30, and intake, the 178 is best. For the cars that can offset the disadvantages of the 185 by increasing cooling capacity, opening up the exhaust with real headers, opening up the intake path with porting, and can get traction with a LSD, then I recommend the 185 or stacked pulleys (still like the stack over the 185).

We had a stacked pulley car and a 185 pulley car with matching supporting mods put down within 10RWHP of each other. The 178 pulleyed car ran better track times and was much more street friendly.

I sell 185mm pulleys too and can offer the price on those, but I just don't like to sell those.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by TVT_DESIGN

For the majority of cars that do a simple pulley, tune, HE, CM30, and intake, the 178 is best. For the cars that can offset the disadvantages of the 185 by increasing cooling capacity, opening up the exhaust with real headers, opening up the intake path with porting, and can get traction with a LSD, then I recommend the 185 or stacked pulleys (still like the stack over the 185).
two questions.

1) on the 178 + machined down vs the 185, were you seeing lower IATs on the 178? or were they about the same b/c of the same/similar boost levels?

2) regarding porting the intake, have you guys p/p'd one for a c32? i know needswings sells larger manis (iirc) for the srt6 but they don't fit the c32. what kinda gains could be realized with all supporting mods (see my sig)?
Old 06-14-2010, 07:48 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Chrysler Crossfire
Originally Posted by jturkel
two questions.

1) on the 178 + machined down vs the 185, were you seeing lower IATs on the 178? or were they about the same b/c of the same/similar boost levels?

2) regarding porting the intake, have you guys p/p'd one for a c32? i know needswings sells larger manis (iirc) for the srt6 but they don't fit the c32. what kinda gains could be realized with all supporting mods (see my sig)?
1) with a CM30 and E55 heat exchanger we were seeing IATs 20-25 degree lower then the 185mm. We've had several customers run stacked with only the CM30 upgrade and stock HE and still run slightly cooler temps. We run 178mm+69mm.

2) The porting involves opening up the neck as much as possible with the stock castings, gasket matching to the lower intake ports, and cleaning up the insides of the manis. You can also port the lower port connected to the SC for better gains. Typical gains are 10-15 RWHP and improved throttle and engine response. You'll actually notice the response more then the power.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts
Cls63 & C32
C32 has same HE as E55, i don't know what SRT6 has.
The fact that most guys don't like the 185mm cause it's hard to TUNE,
a 185 pulley with a good tune is the best, the only one who can tune it correctly is Jerry.
Stacked pulley = belt slippage.
Old 06-15-2010, 04:46 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Chrysler Crossfire
Originally Posted by Robert AMG
C32 has same HE as E55, i don't know what SRT6 has.
The fact that most guys don't like the 185mm cause it's hard to TUNE,
a 185 pulley with a good tune is the best, the only one who can tune it correctly is Jerry.
Stacked pulley = belt slippage.
The E55 HE is about 50% larger then the SRT6. I could have sworn the C32 was small as well. We got about 5 SRTs for every C32 in the shop.

The 185mm is not hard to tune. We've had plenty in here and they are all tuned just fine. Granted Jerry is our tuner, lol.

As for belt slip, we use machined down stock pulleys for stacking and machine back in the OEM groove shape and depth. A lot of machined down pulleys do not keep the OEM depth and size of the grooves and this causes the slip. We have not experienced any slip with the stacked set ups we've run. Plus you can make a belt wrap kit for like $50.00 if you want to be safe.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:40 PM

less heat? less power
Really?? You couldnt be more wrong about that. More heat equals higher intake air temperatures, thus resulting in ignition timing being retarded by the ECU. Timing pull of just 5*s is very noticeable....The only ways to have the ECU pull timing is high IATs (via the IAT sensor) and low octane gasoline (via the knock sensors)....

less strain? less power
Interesting. Less strain=less broken parts. Seems so obvious that it need not be stated.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:14 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Chrysler Crossfire
Really?? You couldnt be more wrong about that. More heat equals higher intake air temperatures, thus resulting in ignition timing being retarded by the ECU. Timing pull of just 5*s is very noticeable....The only ways to have the ECU pull timing is high IATs (via the IAT sensor) and low octane gasoline (via the knock sensors)....

Interesting. Less strain=less broken parts. Seems so obvious that it need not be stated.

I thought the same thing...
Old 06-16-2010, 04:05 PM

Marsaydees

the forum has already concluded that you're a moron based on your responses in the corvette/gtr thread but i'll go ahead and address your post anyways...

when i said that more heat is produced, i did NOT say that IATs would be higher... any dullard would understand that a better heat exchanger and other cooling methods would be required to combat the higher heat produced by pumping more boost - and as a result, making more power DUH

everybody already well understands that other crap you posted as well...
Old 06-18-2010, 04:36 PM

when i said that more heat is produced, i did NOT say that IATs would be higher... any dullard would understand that a better heat exchanger and other cooling methods would be required to combat the higher heat produced by pumping more boost - and as a result, making more...
just saying more heat=more power is a simply an incorrect statement. That is what you said.

Since when did you become "the whole forum"? You say the strangest things. Just because you see the mindless redneck machine that is the corvette as some engineering marvel, that doesn't mean it is, or that people will take some random guys opinion in a c-class forum (yours) as anything to give much merit to as far as it meaning anything at all. Sorry for the reality check. It'll be ok little guy.

Last edited by SETSEROCK; 06-18-2010 at 04:44 PM.
Old 06-18-2010, 05:17 PM

Marsaydees
just saying more heat=more power is a simply an incorrect statement. That is what you said.

Since when did you become "the whole forum"? You say the strangest things. Just because you see the mindless redneck machine that is the corvette as some engineering marvel, that doesn't mean it is, or that people will take some random guys opinion in a c-class forum (yours) as anything to give much merit to as far as it meaning anything at all. Sorry for the reality check. It'll be ok little guy.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 c32 AMG 2012 c250 Coupe

just remember, your talking to a guy who runs all wheather radials at the track and wonders why he lost to a chevy cobalt SS..
Old 06-18-2010, 09:54 PM

Marsaydees
Originally Posted by saer1one
just remember, your talking to a guy who runs all wheather radials at the track and wonders why he lost to a chevy cobalt SS..
huh? i ran a 13.4 bone stock on all season tires - that's a good time.
Old 06-19-2010, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by saer1one
Dingleberry, say it ain't so....
Old 06-28-2010, 10:44 PM

2002 C32 AMG
Sorry to steal the Tread but.
I need someone in SJ, CA to do my tuning, do you guys recommend anyone?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 178mm Pulley + Tune = $1200.00!!!