C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

HELP!!! transmission issue or car in limp mode?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 c32 amg 94 3000gt vr4
the transmission saga continues....

i never had a jerk around 2k rpms nor did i ever have a whine except when the car was stuck in first. but here we are 2 days later and i now have a transmission fluid leak. its coming out of the two vents directly under the torque converter. its a steady leak too. tech says its either the shaft seal coming out of the crank or the torque converter seal. has any had an issue with either one of these leaking?
Old 07-14-2010, 06:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Originally Posted by TemjinX2
i would check your tcu unit and make sure there's no tranny fluid on the harness. Some times the leaky bushing can cause the fluid to leak into the tcu and cause errors.

I heard of the valve body going bad in w203's but not in the c32 unless it was from glcyol contamination.
The TCU in the C32 AMG is mounted to a metal plate under the carpet in the passenger-side footwell. As such, I don't follow how any fluid winds up leaking into the TCU...?
Old 07-15-2010, 03:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
The TCU in the C32 AMG is mounted to a metal plate under the carpet in the passenger-side footwell. As such, I don't follow how any fluid winds up leaking into the TCU...?
There a few threads about it on the w203 forum.

the tcu harness going from the transmission connector to a hole in the firewall and then connects to the tcu inside the cabin behind the metal plate.

In some cases where there leak from the bushing is really bad. The transmission fluid would travel along the harness to the tcu causing shorts which would cause tcu error codes. In some worst cases, it would short the tcu.

They talk about it briefly here and it happens to older gen mercedes as well.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...-problems.html

There a few other threads with pics where the fluid would turn the insulation in the cabin around the tcu harness red. I try and find the thread.
Old 07-17-2010, 12:22 PM

02 c32 amg 94 3000gt vr4
dropped the transmission today. took about 35 minutes start to finish. looks like the output shaft seal was leaking, after pulling that i found why. looks like the oil pump on the transmission was on its way out. the journal bearing in the oil pump sleeve was starting to burn up a little and discolor. ive spun many a main crank bearing and rod bearing so i know what this will do eventually. already started leaving score marks on the torque converter shaft as well. so i have a price of about 350 on the oil pump from mb and i havent gotten one on the torque converter yet. aamco will do 180 on the pump, 200 on the converter so im probably going to go this route unless someone else has a good place for these. i assume the torque converter is different but it looks like all 722.6 transmissions use the same oil pump. so looks like ill be driving around in a loaner car a few more days

Last edited by twinttsvr4; 07-17-2010 at 12:23 PM. Reason: spelling error