C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

So i guess the c32 is potentially the worst AMG built so far.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 10:04 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Originally Posted by austinholloman
Exactly. There will always be a market for low production AMG cars. Always. The 500e is really nothing special either and the tranny is very aged but people can sell them still today for $10-20k because they were low production and a beast of their time. No one can predict the future but based on the way people by old Mercs that were low production models for large amounts, I don't see why this car would change that trend. After all, there is nothing BAD about the car either. Dated sure. But no major known issue to drive people away from buying it later down the line. As far as styling, I think they can still look very good but thats my taste. If these cars are ugly and dated, then I guess I am a fan of ugly and dated cars....

I also agree that I would skip the C32 and go for the NA C55 for the same reasons. I also feel the C63 is majorly lacking the in interior department and would wait it out.
500E is nothing special?

I don't think people need to be reminded that the 500E is the 1 and only Mercedes that was engineered and built by Porsche in limited quantity and one of the best sedans of the 1990's.

and BTW, people don't buy old Mercs because they're classic. it's because they're cheap and bang for the bucks on safety. AND kids that want to get a status symbol.
Old 11-07-2010, 02:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
C55
wow my thread was brought back up from the dead...
Old 11-07-2010, 03:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a car that can't do the throttle reset.
I also agree that I would skip the C32 and go for the NA C55 for the same reasons. I also feel the C63 is majorly lacking the in interior department and would wait it out.
Amazing. Best post I ever read. Kudos.

Cookie?

Old 11-07-2010, 11:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
W203 C55 and SAAB 9-3 2.0T
Nothing special in regaurds to performance and your right. No one needs to be reminded. It still doesn't make it that great of a performer today. The c32 would waste it in every way and for less money. And kids don't buy 1970s and 1980s Mercs because they are cheap and a status symbolm. You ever seen the price tag on a 70's SL in good condition? Easy 20k for red or white. I guess that's just some dumb kid buying a cheap roadster. Or point in case with the 500e from the early 90's sell anywhere from 10 to 20k.... Must be more Common teens looking for status. And since when does car that older than 5 years offer any kind of status? Most people see it just the opposite. Most people buy these cars because they offer a feeling to the owner. Just because more people on these boards tend to understand the worth of older cars doesn't make it common its quite the opposite. Most people common non car enthusiasts see a 69 SS and think ewww its so old. Only the owners and other enthusiasts get it. I've been in the car with cowerkers and see older cars like a 57 Chevy in perfect condition and said something like, wow I can't even imagine what that's worth if its all original and they look at me and say "what like 5k?" Common people don't know this stuff. Common people don't know 500e from a 300e. Or a c32 from a 2006 c230 sport.

Originally Posted by FrankW
500E is nothing special?

I don't think people need to be reminded that the 500E is the 1 and only Mercedes that was engineered and built by Porsche in limited quantity and one of the best sedans of the 1990's.

and BTW, people don't buy old Mercs because they're classic. it's because they're cheap and bang for the bucks on safety. AND kids that want to get a status symbol.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
Nothing special in regaurds to performance and your right. No one needs to be reminded. It still doesn't make it that great of a performer today. The c32 would waste it in every way and for less money. And kids don't buy 1970s and 1980s Mercs because they are cheap and a status symbolm. You ever seen the price tag on a 70's SL in good condition? Easy 20k for red or white. I guess that's just some dumb kid buying a cheap roadster. Or point in case with the 500e from the early 90's sell anywhere from 10 to 20k.... Must be more Common teens looking for status. And since when does car that older than 5 years offer any kind of status? Most people see it just the opposite. Most people buy these cars because they offer a feeling to the owner. Just because more people on these boards tend to understand the worth of older cars doesn't make it common its quite the opposite. Most people common non car enthusiasts see a 69 SS and think ewww its so old. Only the owners and other enthusiasts get it. I've been in the car with cowerkers and see older cars like a 57 Chevy in perfect condition and said something like, wow I can't even imagine what that's worth if its all original and they look at me and say "what like 5k?" Common people don't know this stuff. Common people don't know 500e from a 300e. Or a c32 from a 2006 c230 sport.
the MBs that teens look into for status are not the 70s and 80s models...those would be antiques....and obviously more expensive. it is frequently the 90s models.....like the W202 chassis. and these are cheaper than the "antiques"

and this little statement:

And since when does car that older than 5 years offer any kind of status?
is the most erroneous statement i have ever seen on this forum

i suppose a 1990 Ferrari F40 is a no status car then......this is just too easy.

Last edited by jturkel; 11-07-2010 at 11:54 PM.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by saer1one
1969 Camaro SS is not a low production car..
When did I say anything in regaurds to low productions muscle cars? I remember talking about low production mercs like the 500e but never an American car. Your right though its not even low production, just old. Still worth money though to a certain type of enthusiast.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sure would be if that's where it ended.

Originally Posted by jturkel
the MBs that teens look into for status are not the 70s and 80s models...those would be antiques....and obviously more expensive. it is frequently the 90s models.....like the W202 chassis.

i suppose a 1990 Ferrari F40 is a no status car then......this is just too easy.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Not to a house wife who would rather have the newest and biggest merc suv her husband's money can afford at the end of every lease term. It is too EZ.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ill take a tenth of it and pretend I had the whole thing. Like you did my post.

Originally Posted by pointman
Amazing. Best post I ever read. Kudos.

Cookie?

Old 11-08-2010, 12:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
Sure would be if that's where it ended.
here is the rest of it "Most people see it just the opposite. Most people buy these cars because they offer a feeling to the owner. Just because more people on these boards tend to understand the worth of older cars doesn't make it common its quite the opposite. Most people common non car enthusiasts see a 69 SS and think ewww its so old. Only the owners and other enthusiasts get it. I've been in the car with cowerkers and see older cars like a 57 Chevy in perfect condition and said something like, wow I can't even imagine what that's worth if its all original and they look at me and say "what like 5k?" Common people don't know this stuff. Common people don't know 500e from a 300e. Or a c32 from a 2006 c230 sport."

So based on your logic, most people will see an old 1990 Ferrari F40, which is 20 years old, and be like "eww it is so old"....and only the owners and enthusiasts will understand how amazing a Ferrari F40....because a ferrari f40 doesn't stand out or anything because it isn't an amazing sports car or ferrari or anything.....(back to your logic)....and driving around, i will see a ferrari F40 and be like, "wow, i can't even how much that is worth in such perfect condition" and my friend says "wow, well that is a ferrari. it is surely worth a lot. probably 200k+ (since most people know that ferraris are at LEAST 200k at the very minimum for a used one though surely an F40 would fetch well north of that)......common people do know status cars. that's the point. what makes a car a "status" car? It is one that is widely recognized and accepted by the general public (common person, layman, etc) as being a car that represents wealth, good fortune, good taste, etc......

so your logic is still erroneous

and if you want to go back to a more reasonable example....a mercedes, even from the 90s or back will still be seen as a status symbol to the layman. why? well....simply put, because it is a mercedes benz. it is seen by the public as a vehicle of luxury, of wealth, of safety, of the pinnacle of technology....yes, people know that. advertisements on televisions, articles, photographs of movie stars in their MBs, movies.....the layman knows status brands. bottom line. so even though it might be a 90s MB that is cheap, someone sees the MB logo (production recognition) and from the years of exposure to tv, radio, reading, movies, driving,.....people will subconsciously link the symbol to wealth and status.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG

Not to a house wife who would rather have the newest and biggest merc suv her husband's money can afford at the end of every lease term. It is too EZ.
you didn't make any logical connections here. you just said that a house wive would rather an SUV than a ferrari. that doesn't change the fact that the ferrari F40 is a status car. you are simply stating what the house wife needs. you are completely circumventing the ferrari f40 being a status car, thus rendering your statement extraneous.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
and fwiw, don't get the c32, or any for that matter. get your c43. it clearly suits you better.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Your right and based on your logic, your w203 is next in line as Just another teen status symbolm and mine, since you say the 80s cars are now antiques? Is moving up in your status and demand logic as of 2011. So hope you like next year when your car becomes mine and mine moves on to antique and low production. You'll have ONE of those in ten years and two months. Enjoy!

Originally Posted by jturkel
the MBs that teens look into for status are not the 70s and 80s models...those would be antiques....and obviously more expensive. it is frequently the 90s models.....like the W202 chassis. and these are cheaper than the "antiques"

Last edited by austinholloman; 11-08-2010 at 12:40 AM.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BTW when is the last time Ferrari used any type of mass marketing to the general public? Much less stating their car start out at an average of 200k?! Oh wait. Never.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:17 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
wasn't talking about the 70's & 80's. talking about the 90's

go on mymb and you'll see tons of them hopping about with their c36/43, 202, 210, etc. doing all kinds of stupid **** to their cars just because "I'm doing it because it's cheap".
Old 11-08-2010, 01:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yeah and based on the stock1/4 mile drag times this thread states the c32 produces, it can out run a $37k 2011 SS.... shhheeeeshe that's 30k more than the c32 is about to be worth over the next ten years. You guys will be beating off those pimple faced bottom dollar offering heavy footers with a stick!!! While the c43 will be maintaining and slowing watching its value start to climb from "bottom dollar" again Over its next ten years.... Man. I would be a jerk too. Maybe the next ten years will knock some of you down a peg. You surely need it.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:44 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Yeah and based on the stock1/4 mile drag times this thread states the c32 produces, it can out run a $37k 2011 SS.... shhheeeeshe that's 30k more than the c32 is about to be worth over the next ten years. You guys will be beating off those pimple faced bottom dollar offering heavy footers with a stick!!! While the c43 will be maintaining and slowing watching its value start to climb from "bottom dollar" again Over its next ten years.... Man. I would be a jerk too. Maybe the next ten years will knock some of you down a peg. You surely need it.
sounds like you don't know the C43 has many transmission issues.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
Your right and based on your logic, your w203 is next in line as Just another teen status symbolm and mine, since you say the 80s cars are now antiques? Is moving up in your status and demand logic as of 2011. So hope you like next year when your car becomes mine and mine moves on to antique and low production. You'll have ONE of those in ten years and two months. Enjoy!
um....that is correct. my w203 IS next in line as just another teen status car because, guess what...my car is depreciating and getting older, rolling up the miles....aka losing value....and therefore will be easier for teens to access....and therefore the MB symbol/brand/status will again, go to teens. i'm glad you were able to make the connection

and yes, i consider 80s cars are antiques. though if you want to get super technical with me, automobiles at least 20 yrs old are considered "classics", while those over 40-45 are "antiques"....i consider the terminology relative since i consider many of the medications/pharmaceuticals made in the 90s compared to what we have today "antiques"

and i still fail to see a valid point or argument from you. please just try to post something relevant that i can work with. i feel like i'm talking to a brick wall....
Old 11-08-2010, 01:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
BTW when is the last time Ferrari used any type of mass marketing to the general public? Much less stating their car start out at an average of 200k?! Oh wait. Never.
ever seen a movie ( i suppose the use of aston martins in james bond movies over the generations which every knows doesn't ring a bell for you)? or a tv show (too many list)? ever read dupont? ever see a calendar? ever read a magazine with pictures? maybe with moviestars/actors, or an athlete? or perhaps one with cars? idk, say car and driver? motortrend? road and track? ever hear of ferrari cologne? ever see the ferrari racing shoes you can buy in tons of shoe wear stores? ever just seen a ferrari in person? when you have the "aura" of ferrari, the mere image and name of the product does the advertising for you....yet you clearly have missed all the "mass marketing to the general public"....b.c clearly, the general public must not see movies, watch tv, look with their eyes, or read.

and please reread my statement. i never stated that they start out at an average of 200k. i was giving you a number that the layman would likely throw out there. and then i backed it up by saying that you can get a used ferrari (a nice one at that, MY dating back to probably 2000) for about 200k. either your illiterate or your 12.

Last edited by jturkel; 11-08-2010 at 02:04 AM.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 c32 AMG 2012 c250 Coupe
The c32 is at a point in its life where the c43 was in 2004, DEPRECIATION. A vehicles value is based on what they are selling for at the moment. If now they are selling for $7K what makes you think in 10 years they will surpass the c32..? You speak of a c55 v8 swap as if that was to keep the value up but why would anybody put a motor in the car thats worth more the car itself..?
Old 11-08-2010, 04:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 c32 AMG 2012 c250 Coupe
Here you go, found the perfect car for you..

http://modesto.craigslist.org/cto/1988655537.html
Old 11-08-2010, 04:50 AM

2004 E55 AMG
So, where can I find a set of cams for my B18C1?

Oh, wait.

I thought I was on Honda-Tech. I'm sorry.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:29 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
CLS55
While the c43 will be maintaining and slowing watching its value start to climb from "bottom dollar" again Over its next ten years.... Man. I would be a jerk too. Maybe the next ten years will knock some of you down a peg. You surely need it.

I really didn't have the urge to read all of this thread but the last few posts....I just wanted to ask if you Really think the c43 is going to start rising in value or were you kidding or being sarcastic?? Don't have stake in this discussion, but just curious.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:31 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
CLS55
JTURKEL, Oh, on the 80s cars, really sound odd for cars int that decade to now be called classics, crap I went to high school in th latter 80s....but I guess you're right as back then the 60s cars were classics....that said, I wouldn't want anything from that decade...
Old 11-08-2010, 01:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
[QUOTE=thepinoc;4338905]
Originally Posted by Newzchspy

should i (and other 36/43 owners) be insulted?

lulz
No, you shouldn't be insulted at all, unless you got a horse in this race too???

AH was talking trash about the C32 versus the 43 and was slamming the C32 versus the C55, none of which he has driven or owned. He's driving a three generations old M3 (which is fine) BUT don't talk SH** about things you know nothing about. I have 2 horses in this race, so yes, he should go to the 43 forums and entertain you guys over there. Oh, and now he's slamming the C63 too?? Does it ever end??

Come on AH, bring on that C43 with the 55 engine. We're all waiting. As Lightning McQueen says, "Wanna Race??"

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: So i guess the c32 is potentially the worst AMG built so far.