C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

C32 Wont Accelerate on a hill

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 12:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
C32 Wont Accelerate on a hill

I have noticed that when im coming up a hill, and floor it, the car doesnt downshift, it just stays at the current speed. when im on flat surface and floor it, the car will spool up for 1 second then it will go. anyone know what could be causing this? on the dashboard, it says "no malfunctions".

thanks in advance
Old 07-23-2010, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
At any speed or just certain speed ranges?

Have you reset the ECU? (quick search will turn up 100's of descriptions of this)
Old 07-23-2010, 03:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
none
Supercharger pump?
Old 07-23-2010, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by moosejaw
Supercharger pump?
Good point, Moosie.

The car might be heating up enough on a grade to affect a pump that is starting to give out.

Jordon, if that is the case, you will soon be driving a car that would be out-pulled by a lawn tractor, when the pump give up the ghost completely. Fortunately, it is a relatively cheap fix.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
Originally Posted by ScottW911
Good point, Moosie.

The car might be heating up enough on a grade to affect a pump that is starting to give out.

Jordon, if that is the case, you will soon be driving a car that would be out-pulled by a lawn tractor, when the pump give up the ghost completely. Fortunately, it is a relatively cheap fix.
I had the same exact problem on my C32 when i first purchased it. I fixed it right away and problem went by by. *** you know those hills climbs in florida are pretty tough, the driveways that is.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:22 PM

C32 AMG
So i would have to go to mercedes and get a new supercharger pump put in and that should take care of the problem?

I havent reset the ECU, but when i got it inspected on tuesday, it got rejected for "secondary air injection and evaporative system" but the check engine light is NOT on and the car says "no malfunctions". i asked the guy at the inspection station whats wrong and he said someone must have replaced the battery or something and that may have reset the car. i told him i drove the car 4hours back form where i picked the car up, but he said that is highway. he told me to come back in anohter 150miles after driving around the neighborhood, accelerate, decelerate, turn the air on and off, etc, so the computer would be good to go. the guy i bought it from was a detective in upstate NY. he said he never changed the battery so i dont know how it could have been reset.

Also, the speed range when the problem is happening would be around 40mph give or take. and its usually in overdrive.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by Jordan7589
So i would have to go to mercedes and get a new supercharger pump put in and that should take care of the problem?

I havent reset the ECU, but when i got it inspected on tuesday, it got rejected for "secondary air injection and evaporative system" but the check engine light is NOT on and the car says "no malfunctions". i asked the guy at the inspection station whats wrong and he said someone must have replaced the battery or something and that may have reset the car. i told him i drove the car 4hours back form where i picked the car up, but he said that is highway. he told me to come back in anohter 150miles after driving around the neighborhood, accelerate, decelerate, turn the air on and off, etc, so the computer would be good to go. the guy i bought it from was a detective in upstate NY. he said he never changed the battery so i dont know how it could have been reset.

Also, the speed range when the problem is happening would be around 40mph give or take. and its usually in overdrive.
Let's clear one thing up first. Moosie misspoke a bit. It is actually the Intercooler pump that tends to be problem. It can be done at the dealer but they are hesitant to want to because the I/C pump rarely throws an error code. It could be working intermittently and, as you know, a car will always perform flawlessly when tested by the auto technician. When the pump dies, you will definitely know something is wrong, as the supercharger will shut off to prevent overheated air entering the combustion chamber.

Do a search on Intercooler pump or I/C pump for tons of info in this (C32) forum. Here is one example:
https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...oot-cause.html

There are several DIY threads here that will save you hundreds of dollars on this repair, if in fact, it is the issue.

By the way, you do not have an overdrive in your car. It is a straight 5-speed tranny. (don't get me started on the tranny issues).

I suggest you spend some time going through this thread: https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...7-10-07-a.html , to familiarize yourself with some of the common problems that our cars are prone to. Every thing that can be discussed about this (10 year old) platform has been touched on and is accessible via the advanced search function.

Trending Topics

Old 07-23-2010, 07:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
Good Post Scott!
& thanks for helping a newbie out
Old 07-25-2010, 12:35 PM

C32 AMG
I have gone through a few threads and have came to the conclusion that its the "Intercooler Pump" thats broken on the car. I have read of people uising lightning/cobra pumps or johnson cm30 pumps since theyre cheaper then the mercedes one but it seems like ou hve to modify the pumps before putting them onto the car. I have basic knowlegde of the car, oil change, flats, all the basic stuff but im not sure i would be able to modify the pump myself, seems kind of hard and i dont want to mess it up. But he price difference is a lot since the lightning/cobra pump is about 100 bucks, the mercedes pumps is about 350. plus i would have to pay mercedes for labor. any suggestions on how i can get this done cheaper?
Old 07-25-2010, 12:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
Buy JOhnson Pump
Takes 15 minutes to wire up
There is a thread here on how to install.
its not that hard
Check crossfire forums too as they have the same problem.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:23 PM

C32 AMG
Hey moose, i appreciate the answer. I do want the CM 30 pump as i hear its alot better and pumps more fluid then the stock pump, but i really rather not want to drill and solder the johnson pump. I love the car and wouldnt want to mess anything up or god forbid, rewire it wrong. Un less someone on here wants to do it, i live in monmouth NJ, about 5 minutes from Raceway Park in Englishtown, NJ. ANyways, i came across this stock pump,

http://www.needswings.com/Bosch-Inte...schICpump.aspx

This would fix the problem, correct? Im sure Mercedes charges alot more then $130. Anyways if i just get this pump, it would basically be a quick fix. Just take the wheel and panels off, unbolt the old pump, drain the anti freeze, plug the tubes to the new pump and unplug the electrical and switch it to the new pump, then put the panels and wheel back on. I apologize for asking so many questions. I just dont beleive in paying mercedes 4 times the amount of money to do something thats so simple. Unless you are rich or a female who doesnt know much about cars, no offense.

thanks fellas
Old 07-25-2010, 02:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
Well Jordan
Sounds like you've done your research
I went with the Johnson four years ago bc at the time it was generally the most easiest thing to do. Needswings wasn't around then.
Id go with this pump if you want a plug and play operation.
Old 07-25-2010, 03:29 PM

C32 AMG
Well Jordan
Sounds like you've done your research
I went with the Johnson four years ago bc at the time it was generally the most easiest thing to do. Needswings wasn't around then.
Id go with this pump if you want a plug and play operation.

I would go with the Johnson eventually. I hear the OEM one go at about 40k miles. I have a whole folder with every maintenance and fix done to the car and the pump has never been replaced. and im at 87k miles. Maybe the guy tooke very good care of the car, or maybe it was just luck that kept the pump working so long. Either way, this is my only car right now, so i need to fix it asap. Im going to go to Downs Ford, to see if they have the Lightning F=150 Pump tommorow. I think its rediculous for MB to charge 300-350 bucks for the same ecxact part, brand and all, for a part that cost 100 bucks. Like someone said before, never bring your car to the Stealership.
Old 07-25-2010, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

I would go with the Johnson eventually. I hear the OEM one go at about 40k miles. I have a whole folder with every maintenance and fix done to the car and the pump has never been replaced. and im at 87k miles. Maybe the guy tooke very good care of the car, or maybe it was just luck that kept the pump working so long. Either way, this is my only car right now, so i need to fix it asap. Im going to go to Downs Ford, to see if they have the Lightning F=150 Pump tommorow. I think its rediculous for MB to charge 300-350 bucks for the same ecxact part, brand and all, for a part that cost 100 bucks. Like someone said before, never bring your car to the Stealership.
Sounds like you are doing a good job of getting yourself edjamacated. Keep it up and people will start looking to you for answers.

By the way, I've gotten the impression that the Johnsons don't necessarily last that much longer than the Bosch. Most seem to appreciate the higher flow rate of the Johnson. Good luck, either way you decide.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:38 PM

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by ScottW911
Sounds like you are doing a good job of getting yourself edjamacated. Keep it up and people will start looking to you for answers.

By the way, I've gotten the impression that the Johnsons don't necessarily last that much longer than the Bosch. Most seem to appreciate the higher flow rate of the Johnson. Good luck, either way you decide.
I appreciate the help. Im going to grab the lightning f-150 intercooler pump in the morning from the ford dealership. i beleive its 135 bucks plus tax. i dont want to wait for shipping. Anyways, if i come accros a problem, ill be sure to come back and see if you guys can help me out. the instructions i am going to be following is one that someone typed up when he changed his pump as well. heres hte link :

https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...placement.html

Does that look about right to you?
Old 07-25-2010, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

I appreciate the help. Im going to grab the lightning f-150 intercooler pump in the morning from the ford dealership. i beleive its 135 bucks plus tax. i dont want to wait for shipping. Anyways, if i come accros a problem, ill be sure to come back and see if you guys can help me out. the instructions i am going to be following is one that someone typed up when he changed his pump as well. heres hte link :

https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...placement.html

Does that look about right to you?
Geez, I sure miss a lot of those guys. 1fastC32 (Erick) was a tremendous help with many of the common issues in our cars. He even went on to found one of the early C32 specific Mod companies.

Unfortunately, it was overwhelming his time so he sold out and disappeared from this forum. His advise was right on. You will do well to follow his original instruction, even if others have found simpler ways to get the job done.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
I had the same exact problem on my C32 when i first purchased it. I fixed it right away and problem went by by. *** you know those hills climbs in florida are pretty tough, the driveways that is.
That run between Naples/Mmarco and Lauderdale/Miami has lots of Hills!! We call em alligator bumps!!!
Old 07-30-2010, 06:12 PM

C32 AMG
Got the Ford Racing Bosch pump on Ebay for 109 + 7 for shipping. Took 3 days after i paid to arrive at my doorstep. Took about 1.5-2 hours. Let the car sit for a while if youve been driving it. i drove it to a friends garage and when you take the hoses off, anti freeze will drain. not all of it but i would say enough that you should buy a bottle before doing this. dont try to run to the store with the car with such low anti freeze. anyways, car runs great now. POWER all the time. Now im thinking about LET motorsports stage 1 kit(pulley, ecu/tune) or the evosport stage 1 kit, some rims and drag radials and ill be happy with it. Not trying to go too crazy with this thing.

Thanks for all the help guys.