2002 Mercedes Ignition Key/FOB

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c230
2002 Mercedes Ignition Key/FOB

2002 Mercedes

I researched keys and FOBs but did not feel like my questions were answered.

Bought my Mercedes and it came with only one key/FOB. Clairification; when I say key I am referring to the metal key inside the electronic transmitter, when I say FOB I am referring to the electronic transmitter with the buttons.

What are my options to get another key/FOB set?

My Mercedes came with the short black plastic FOB style which is nice.. but the NEW chrome key style is much better looking and appears it will fit into my ignition key area of my Mercedes. Can I use the newer key on my 2002 even though my 2002 came with the short black plastic key?

Besides the FOB, who actually cuts the metal key that goes inside the FOB?

Where are some places I can get either FOB styles... both the short black plastic one I have now and the chrome newer style?

When I get a key how do you program it to work with my Mercedes? Step by step details would be nice, that is, if you can program it yourself.

Can I only buy a NEW key that has NEVER been programmed to any other vehicle or can I buy a USED key and have it programmed for my Mercedes by a mercedes shop or the dealer?

FYI, My Mercedes does not have the keyless go option; where you dont put the key in the ignition, you can leave it in your pocket and push buttonn start the vehicle.

... I have a feeling mercedes is going to make this key process difficult and expensive... it's a key for gosh sakes!
Old 07-28-2010, 03:18 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
a car.
I've been told that the 2002 and newer keys can only be programmed once.

The newer key will work with your car. Mercedes will order, program and cut the key for you. You'll have to show a copy of your insurance, title and/or registration though.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:16 PM

MB
What's the going cost(s) nowadays? key & programming?
Old 07-28-2010, 04:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32/C55 AMG
I think $200+
Old 07-28-2010, 04:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55
The stealership used to have no problem programing a key you bought elsewhere, but they realized they were missing a chance to rape your a** so they no longer provide that service. Now you have to buy a new key from the dealer and have them cut / program the key for you. Last time I checked, it was around $350. Of course that was a couple of years ago and every stealership is different
Old 07-28-2010, 07:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 c32 AMG 2012 c250 Coupe
3 years ago i bought an extra key for my old 2002 c240 at the dealership for $130.. Dont know how much they would be now but from what is sounds like they went up 100%..

Last edited by saer1one; 07-28-2010 at 07:08 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:54 PM

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
N/A
The FOB chrome or black should work with your car 2002+.

The Chrome FOB is approximately $250+ (does not include metal blade key)
The Black FOB is approximately $200+ (does not include metal blade key)

Be aware that the metal blade key from the black FOB DOES NOT fit into the chrome key as the are shaped slightly different. So if you do decide to get a chrome key FOB you will need to buy a metal blade key also.

The blade costs approximatly $15 - $30 depending on FOB style.

The metal blade key is ordered from the Mercedes dealer according to your VIN and cut to match what they have on file for that car (usually out of Texas depending where you live) you must provide proof of ownership, title, insurance, and drivers licence in order for them to order it and you to pick it up, and code it to the car, they will not code it if you can not prove ownership (Some dealerships charges to program it, others do not.) Both the car and the key need to be present at dealership in order to program the key FOB.

The key FOB is ordered to only work with a certain body style EIS systems (ie: W203) a key from a W212 will not work in a W203 body EIS system. If the key has already been used/coded it can not be used/coded again to work for a different car even if it the same body style.

They dealership used to be able to code a used/coded key FOB within same body style but they changed the EIS programming software to not allow this. The key FOB is a one time use, once its used thats it and can not be reprogrammed.

So basically if you want or need an extra key you are stuck getting it from the dealership, which is costly, but a good thing as it makes it harder to duplicate or steal the car cause the keys are not easy to obtain or program to the car.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 C55, 09 E350
Originally Posted by ciscotech2007
2002 Mercedes

My Mercedes came with the short black plastic FOB style which is nice.. but the NEW chrome key style is much better looking and appears it will fit into my ignition key area of my Mercedes. Can I use the newer key on my 2002 even though my 2002 came with the short black plastic key?

If you order a new key your only option will be to get the updated Chrome key that comes in the 2010 vehicles.

Besides the FOB, who actually cuts the metal key that goes inside the FOB?

As far as I know, no one can only the dealer, but at $10 who cares?

Where are some places I can get either FOB styles... both the short black plastic one I have now and the chrome newer style?

Dealer only item

When I get a key how do you program it to work with my Mercedes? Step by step details would be nice, that is, if you can program it yourself.

You cannot program the key yourself, the key will come programmed unless you need to delete tracks of old unused or lost keys

Can I only buy a NEW key that has NEVER been programmed to any other vehicle or can I buy a USED key and have it programmed for my Mercedes by a Mercedes shop or the dealer?

You can only buy a new key from the dealer, ebay keys do NOT work

FYI, My Mercedes does not have the keyless go option; where you don't put the key in the ignition, you can leave it in your pocket and push button start the vehicle.

Not practical anything can be done with tons of money, but no one will waste the money on it.

... I have a feeling Mercedes is going to make this key process difficult and expensive... it's a key for gosh sakes!

Yes and Yes, key ordering should be difficult since it's the biggest security threat to your vehicle and the only way to steal the car without putting it on a flat bed.
Originally Posted by ruben65
The FOB chrome or black should work with your car 2002+.

The key FOB is ordered to only work with a certain body style EIS systems (ie: W203) a key from a W212 will not work in a W203 body EIS system. If the key has already been used/coded it can not be used/coded again to work for a different car even if it the same body style.

This is incorrect, the keys that are used in replacement are from the W212 and will come chrome with triangle panic button.

Originally Posted by 02C32guy
The stealership used to have no problem programing a key you bought elsewhere, but they realized they were missing a chance to rape your a** so they no longer provide that service. Now you have to buy a new key from the dealer and have them cut / program the key for you. Last time I checked, it was around $350. Of course that was a couple of years ago and every stealership is different

Where do you come up with this stuff? Dealers have never been able to do this all the key initializing is done in Fort Worth Texas at MBUSAs key and lock center. MBUSA does this due to security concerns, they do not want people to be able to simply take a key from another can and reprogrammed at the dealer. Employees would be taking advantage of this and could cause more vehicle theft.

Last edited by JonMBZ; 07-29-2010 at 11:31 AM.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:16 PM

2005 E55
Originally Posted by JonMBZ
Where do you come up with this stuff? Dealers have never been able to do this all the key initializing is done in Fort Worth Texas at MBUSAs key and lock center. MBUSA does this due to security concerns, they do not want people to be able to simply take a key from another can and reprogrammed at the dealer. Employees would be taking advantage of this and could cause more vehicle theft.
I "come up with this stuff" from personal experience. What you are saying is not / was not always completely true. This is a confusing subject. There are differences in years and in whether you are purchasing an additional key or a replacement key. When I did it, it was for my 2000 c280. I was not talking about buying some guy's used key off ebay and having a dealer "reprogram" it for your car. There used to be dealers (I assume) who would get keys (for your car using the vin) and sold them to you at a discount. You could then take that key to your dealer to be "programmed". I'm not sure if "programming" involves blocking out codes to render lost keys useless or if it was simply the dealer doing the ignition initialization process themselves. You can tell me I'm full of sh*t, but this is what I did when I had the w202.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 C55, 09 E350
It's not a confusing subject for me, I have been working for MB for over 7 years and order numerous keys daily, I know how the process works and have always worked. Dealers can disable keys, but they cannot reprogram them from another car. It has always been this way. I don't know what experience you are talking about, it's just annoying seeing people always saying things that are not true at all just to spread hatred to dealers. It's all day and night here and the arguments I see are not even close to the truth.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:23 AM

2005 E55
Obviously, you didn't actually read my last two posts. Had you; you would have seen, I never mentioned "reprogramming" anything. All I was saying was that you used to be able to get legitimate keys for our cars cheaper online. If you disagree with this, you are simply uninformed. You just said yourself dealers can disable keys. I don't know how to explain my case any simpler.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 C55, 09 E350
"The stealership used to have no problem programing a key you bought elsewhere, but they realized they were missing a chance to rape your a** so they no longer provide that service "

end quote. The dealers could NEVER program a key you bought anywhere what you are saying is 100% FALSE what are you arguing here? Programming or reprograming a key you bought anywhere was never anything a dealer could do. Yes you could get them online way back when from Rusty who was working with/from a dealer who is arguing that ? No one . Here is me stating exactly this. He or a dealer wasn't reprogramming anything.

https://mbworld.org/forums/mercedes-...or-charge.html

Last edited by JonMBZ; 07-30-2010 at 01:09 AM.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:55 AM

2005 E55
Look I'm not arguing anything. I'm just relaying my experience procuring a key for my old car. The simple fact remains that I bought the car with one key and when I got rid of it, it had two. Everything I said above was my experience. I guess it was stupid of me to explain myself and disagree with a seven year veteran of MB.