My Powerchip tune vs EC Tune vs OE tuning Experience

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 06:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
My Powerchip tune vs EC Tune vs OE tuning Experience

ok guys, I wanted to wait until I get the third tune before i did this write up. But I've been getting a lot of PM's about blown engines recently. So I decided to do this write ahead of schedule.

Here's my first setup.

Johnson intercooler pump, Code3 Heat exchanger, code3 intake mod, code3 sc pulley and power chip tune.

I made pretty good power.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

As you can see i put down around 326whp and 12-11afr throughout the power band. This was the original tune that vadim used on his c32.

I got my powerchip tune installed when Jeremy and Travis both worked there. They were pretty friendly and knew there stuff about cars. I enjoyed the service and the initial pricing of $300 and they said it would be $150 for a retune.

I wanted more power like everyone else. I sold my code3 sc pulley and got a 185mm EC pulley. I also had a buddy of mine machine down the stock 74sc pulley down to 70mm.

So my setup was

johnson intercooler pump, code3 heat exchanger, code3 intake mod, EC 185mm pulley, 70mm Custom SC pulley, Powerchip tune.

The car ran fine except now in first gear the car would shake at 6200rpm. Other then the shake, the car ran fine. I killed a lot of cars on the highways of mexico. I was probably running around 20-22psi on average but i would hit 23psi+ at 120mph because I would get the map error.

Then there was the EC header and tune special in November. I decided to jump on this because of the pricing. The headers weren't ready in tune so i had Tony at EC just install a mail in 185 + header tune.

So my setup

johnson intercooler pump, code3 heat exchanger, code3 intake, ec 185 pulley, 70mm custom sc pulley, mag wires, ngk spark plugs, EC tune

In December I went WOT in a onramp so below 65mph and I heard a boom.

I took it to the guy that did pshek c32 engine swap. He said the piston ring blew and destroyed the silicon lining on the two of the cyclinder walls.

He said my block was done and to buy a used engine. I asked if I could just bore the block to 3.7L and just sleeve it with custom piston. He quoted me a price of $12k.

In hindsight, i should've just taken it to my japanese tuners, since they bore and build short blocks for around $2k.

The car is my daily driver, so I opted to buy a used c32 engine. I bought a used C32 engine for around $4k and i was charged around $3500 for install. Yes i know, $3500 for install. I just wanted the car up and running so i bent over.

Ok, so believe i caused the blown block from running stacked pullies which the EC tune wasn't designed for. I didn't blame them.

I installed the new engine except with just a regular 74mm SC pulley.

I finally got my headers from EC and i had them installed. I ran against my gtr and lost worst then I thought I would. I got my car dyno'ed.

Current setup.

johnson intercooler pump, code3 heat exchanger, code3 intake, stock spark plug wires, ngk plugs, 185 EC pulley, EC header, EC tune

The dyno in red is my current setup with a EC tune. The dyno in Blue is one my code3 setup with powerchip tune dyno runs.

As you can see the code3 is around 323whp and the EC setup is 337whp

You can see from the afr I went from afr from 12afr to 15afr.....

I scared to drive my car and so I tried to get powerchip to reinstall there tune. Unfortunately for me, Jeremy and Travis no longer works there. The customer service I received at powerchip wasn't up to Jeremy and Travis's level.

They tried to charge me $500 to retune when I was already a customer and Jeremy and Travis told me the retune would be $150 and I only paid $300 for the original tune. The guy on the phone tried to feed some other bs and top of the pricing. Anyways, it left a bad taste in my mouth about powerchip.

So I went back to EC. I contacted Tony, I told him of my blown engine. I did not ask EC for compensation for my engine. I know its a risk we run when we change the stock tune. I just wanted the tune fixed. Tony was very prompted and offered solutions and a place to do a custom dyno free of charge. I just have to pay for the dyno time. The EC response was pretty good responsive from about my requests.

This is the results I got after around 5hrs of dyno tuning

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

As you can see the fuel ratio is horrible…but I’m not running lean anymore.

The new tune I’m running 313whp and 310wtq.

After seeing how lean the mail tune ran my standard 185mm and headers dyno. I’m positive that same tune is what blew my engine when I was running the stacked pullies.

Last edited by TemjinX2; 08-09-2010 at 06:59 AM.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I tracked down jeremey...he started own tuning company and does all the tuning for gintani. Gintani are the ones thats been building Supercharged e92 m3's and turbo e46 m3's. Once I save enough i'll post an update with his tune, to see if it fixed my problems or not.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 C32 gone, 06 CLS55, 16 Tesla X
Just a side note:

You are comparing apple to orange on the dyno numbers here. The first dyno graph shows SDT 5 smoothing correction which is a lot higher than SAE 5 smoothing on the last dyno.
The A/F ratio on the first dyno was on 5-20 scale while on the last dyno, it was 10-13. If you stretch this 10-13 to 5-20 scale you will see the line a lot smoother. I am not saying it a perfect line, I am just saying it's a lot smoother.

I totally feel your pain on the blown engine, but you ran the file for 185mm pulley on 185/70 stackled pulley setup.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:44 AM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
wow, you should have contacted me, I had no idea of your pain.

On a side note, I was probably one of the only ones running stacked and running strong. Did you replace the stock injectors? They go static when running stacked and hit full duty cycle around 80% throttle. (cars might be different but thats what mine did) I upgraded the injectors. Me and josh had talked about that a lot on his build. I know a srt6 guy who ran stacked and was having serious issues as well.

The PC customer service has gone downhill from what I have heard as well.

and CLKCLK hit the nail on the head for both points.. Stretch the scale an the data looks a lot better.

Guys, please remember that we offer free retunes for a reason. Please don't run a file built for one thing with other variables in the equation... NOT a bash on TemjinX2 just feel it needs to be stated again. We have seen people add a lot to the car and wonder why the origional file is not that great anymore.

Also, I have phormula knock sensors in all my cars that I have ever had. Great piece of equipment for the money.

TemjinX2- If your up for it, I would love to have Jerry look at your file. He knows the C32 better that any tuner in the market. I had over 200 files for my car....
Old 08-09-2010, 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts
Cls63 & C32
+1 let Jerry take a look and you have the best file with only a mail tune.
I have 180 pulley with 55k intake and AFR below 12 with Jerry tune and i won stock E55's and M3's e92.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by loungn14
wow, you should have contacted me, I had no idea of your pain.

On a side note, I was probably one of the only ones running stacked and running strong. Did you replace the stock injectors? They go static when running stacked and hit full duty cycle around 80% throttle. (cars might be different but thats what mine did) I upgraded the injectors. Me and josh had talked about that a lot on his build. I know a srt6 guy who ran stacked and was having serious issues as well.

The PC customer service has gone downhill from what I have heard as well.

and CLKCLK hit the nail on the head for both points.. Stretch the scale an the data looks a lot better.

Guys, please remember that we offer free retunes for a reason. Please don't run a file built for one thing with other variables in the equation... NOT a bash on TemjinX2 just feel it needs to be stated again. We have seen people add a lot to the car and wonder why the origional file is not that great anymore.

Also, I have phormula knock sensors in all my cars that I have ever had. Great piece of equipment for the money.

TemjinX2- If your up for it, I would love to have Jerry look at your file. He knows the C32 better that any tuner in the market. I had over 200 files for my car....

I told Tony about it a long time ago when he still worked at EC. Tony and I spent two days and I spent $700 on renting the dyno. The last dyno was the results you see.

Even when i just installed just a 185 and EC header, i was still hitting 15afr's in the mail in 185+header tune that tony installed. Maybe its because the mail in tune is tuned with 93 oct where as california only has 91 oct???

I decided I would rather have a live dyno tune. I only posted this because I use to get numerous PM's asking how I blew my engine. I figure this would be easier then telling the same story 10 times.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by CLKCLK
Just a side note:

You are comparing apple to orange on the dyno numbers here. The first dyno graph shows SDT 5 smoothing correction which is a lot higher than SAE 5 smoothing on the last dyno.
The A/F ratio on the first dyno was on 5-20 scale while on the last dyno, it was 10-13. If you stretch this 10-13 to 5-20 scale you will see the line a lot smoother. I am not saying it a perfect line, I am just saying it's a lot smoother.

I totally feel your pain on the blown engine, but you ran the file for 185mm pulley on 185/70 stackled pulley setup.
I was still hitting afr of 15 when i just had just 185 + ec headers. The tune I had was for (185 + ec headers tune).
Old 08-09-2010, 04:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PLAID
Originally Posted by TemjinX2
I was still hitting afr of 15 when i just had just 185 + ec headers. The tune I had was for (185 + ec headers tune).
Was the tune for the "stacked" pullies or just the 185?? This is why I stayed with my Code 3 SC pulley and never added a 178 or 185 crank pulley. Too many have either thrown CELs with the stacked system or have AFR issues. Jake's is the only car I've seen (and driven) that had a successful "stack" and that was after a LOT of work on a tune and also the injectors.

Jerry and I had discussed many times running a stacked system with a custom 180 crank pulley, BUt I declined. I didnt want to sacrifice the daily driveablility and reliability for the potential to run er lean and blow er up. Just running the "Jerry Tune", the Code 3 SC pulley and Code 3 intake I run in the 12s all the time.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2002 C32, 2012 S550
With my 185, I had lean issues with the mail tune until I got dyno tuned by Jerry. But even then we had to run it in 4th gear to place some load on there. It was always in higher RPM's with load.

But now, I'm running great. No problems and loving the power.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Newzchspy
Was the tune for the "stacked" pullies or just the 185?? This is why I stayed with my Code 3 SC pulley and never added a 178 or 185 crank pulley. Too many have either thrown CELs with the stacked system or have AFR issues. Jake's is the only car I've seen (and driven) that had a successful "stack" and that was after a LOT of work on a tune and also the injectors.

Jerry and I had discussed many times running a stacked system with a custom 180 crank pulley, BUt I declined. I didnt want to sacrifice the daily driveablility and reliability for the potential to run er lean and blow er up. Just running the "Jerry Tune", the Code 3 SC pulley and Code 3 intake I run in the 12s all the time.
When i ran the dyno and it showed 15afr...that was with a stock sc pulley and 185 and ec header. The tune i have is for a 185 and ec header.

So if i was running 15afr's with the hardware setup that the tune was designed for, i was probably running insanely high afrs with the stack pulley stock header setup.

Even afr of 15, i still run the risk of blowing my motor.

Anyways, i'm not asking for any person compensation for the engine. I know its the risk I ran when I use aftermarket tunes.

I'm going to update my tune one more time and if it doesn't fix my afr...i'll probably just opt for a 335i. Right now, i'm running pretty rich, so i run the risk of killing my cats.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
When i ran the dyno and it showed 15afr...that was with a stock sc pulley and 185 and ec header. The tune i have is for a 185 and ec header.

So if i was running 15afr's with the hardware setup that the tune was designed for, i was probably running insanely high afrs with the stack pulley stock header setup.

Even afr of 15, i still run the risk of blowing my motor.

Anyways, i'm not asking for any person compensation for the engine. I know its the risk I ran when I use aftermarket tunes.

I'm going to update my tune one more time and if it doesn't fix my afr...i'll probably just opt for a 335i. Right now, i'm running pretty rich, so i run the risk of killing my cats.

You have to run really rich for a LONG time to kill the cats. My Kleemann S7 runs rich just to keep from grenading the engine according to Cory.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Sorry to hear of the troubles you went through. I would start data logging my car if I were you. You should invest in a nice data logging system and start data logging as much parameters as you can if you want to prevent another disaster.

Jeremy started his own tuning company called OE Tuning which, as mentioned above, is being operated (at least temporarily) out of Gintani's performance shop.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
Sorry to hear of the troubles you went through. I would start data logging my car if I were you. You should invest in a nice data logging system and start data logging as much parameters as you can if you want to prevent another disaster.

[I]Jeremy started his own tuning company called OE Tuning which, as mentioned above, is being operated (at least temporarily) out of Gintani's performance shop.

[/I]

Except that hes hard to get a hold of.....................I am waiting to hear back for a tune for the Kleeman??
Old 08-09-2010, 06:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

[/U][/I][/B]

You have to run really rich for a LONG time to kill the cats. My Kleemann S7 runs rich just to keep from grenading the engine according to Cory.
well i killed my cat when i was running rich on my integra. I know cats for our cats are outrageously expensive. Hence why i'm trying to do it asap.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MB_Forever

Jeremy started his own tuning company called OE Tuning which, as mentioned above, is being operated (at least temporarily) out of Gintani's performance shop.
yeah i was reading up on him on the bmw forums. He seems to have a pretty good rep on there for the bmw's he's tuned. He's local to me, so i can dyno tune in real time...thats primary my interest.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

[/I][/B]

Except that hes hard to get a hold of.....................I am waiting to hear back for a tune for the Kleeman??
He seemed pretty responsive when I emailed him. But he has been out in the east coast last few weeks tuning other cars.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Sucks to have melted it down. Been there with other marques. Appreciate you sharing your experience.

Careful leaning too hard on that N54 or N55 you’re contemplating. They’ve been known to come unglued --or resorting to semi-permanent limp mode-- when getting after it, even before being subjected to those heady aftermarket tweaks.
Reference: Bimmer and GRM, among others.

Me thinks their S65B40 is likely more your style.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:12 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 C32 1987 190E 2.3 334K miles and going
Just running the "Jerry Tune", the Code 3 SC pulley and Code 3 intake I run in the 12s all the time.

Knowing what you got makes me feel good about my C32. I'll need a time slip soon.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:36 AM

C32 '02
Sorry to hear about your troubles. I'd like to share my experience with Jerry/EC and tuning in general. For me I was very keen on not blowing my motor cause it's very expensive and time consuming, and I learned from pass experience that you only need to mess up the engine once and it's toasted. I had all my mods in place then I started the tuning. I also had my afr gauge welded pre-cat before any of the tuning. The first stock tune I got from Jerry and the afr was like 15-16. I only had to run my car once let Jerry know my results. He gave me another file and I would test the next day. I did all my tuning in the very cold of winter and the coldest it would ever get here is only about 8 degrees celcius. I got a good tip to only tune at the coldest temperature. At the time I lived far away from the city and I woke up at 4am in the morning to run and capture the results for Jerry to analyze and adjust. so far I can say is road tuning is the best decision I have ever made and I will probably do this for every car I plan to modify. Once thing I found interesting was that WOT never leans. During tuning, the only time I saw leaning was in 3rd gear hitting 5400-6100 rpm @ around 100 mph. So that was where we did most of the tuning, in that rpm range.*
Sorry for the long post...take care

Last edited by ML500K; 08-11-2010 at 11:14 AM.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Originally Posted by ML500K
Sorry to hear about your troubles. I'd like to share my experience with Jerry/EC and tuning in general. For me I was very keen on not blowing my motor cause it's very expensive and time consuming, and I learned from pass experience that you only need to mess up the engine once and it's toasted. I had all my mods in place then I started the tuning. I also had my afr gauge welded pre-cat before any of the tuning. The first stock tune I got from Jerry and the afr was like 15-16. I only had to run my car once let Jerry know my results. He gave me another file and I would test the next day. I did all my tuning in the very cold of winter and the coldest it would ever get here is only about 8 degrees celcius. I got a good tip to only tune at the coldest temperature. At the time I lived far away from the city and I woke up at 4am in the morning to run and capture the results for Jerry to analyze and adjust. so far I can say is road tuning is the best decision I have ever made and I will probably do this for every car I plan to modify. Once thing I found interesting was that WOT never leans. During tuning, the only time I saw leaning was in 3rd gear hitting 5400-6100 rpm @ around 100 mph. So that was where we did most of the tuning, in that rpm range.*
Sorry for the long post...take care

Jerry "road tuned" my car and since I've never had a "dyno-tune" on the C32, I really can't compare. I do know that he literally transformed my car from a mild mannered reporter to a beast!!! A buddy of mine had a highly modded MazdaSpeed 3 and he could almost run with my C32 when it was NOT tuned. After the Jerry Tune, it was lights out for the Speed3 and my buddy asked what I did and I just told him different octane until he got smart and asked if I had a tune. Jerry's tune over two years ago really made a difference in my car, BUT I've got a ton of stuff to put on it and when I do a new tune, it'll be on the Eurocharged dyno (after installing the new parts).
Old 08-12-2010, 05:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i setup appointment for Jeremy at OE tuning for friday. So we'll see if can get any power out of it. If he can't, i'm giving up on the c32 and just going to get a 335i.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by splinter
Sucks to have melted it down. Been there with other marques. Appreciate you sharing your experience.

Careful leaning too hard on that N54 or N55 you’re contemplating. They’ve been known to come unglued --or resorting to semi-permanent limp mode-- when getting after it, even before being subjected to those heady aftermarket tweaks.
Reference: Bimmer and GRM, among others.

Me thinks their S65B40 is likely more your style.
unfortunately..becoming a home owner with a mortgage and outragous property taxes...has made that option a mere fantasy.....

Hopefully i can cash out on the equity in two yrs and get my 911 turbo...lol..jk.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

just to clarify, all my dynos were done in 4th gear...to maintain the 1:1 ratio and up to 150mph.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:49 AM

C32 '02
i setup appointment for Jeremy at OE tuning for friday. So we'll see if can get any power out of it. If he can't, i'm giving up on the c32 and just going to get a 335i.
those 335i looks pretty powerful, and have more potential than our 32s imo...
Old 08-12-2010, 05:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ML500K
those 335i looks pretty powerful, and have more potential than our 32s imo...
yeah i know..but there also plagued with a lot of mechanical problems like splinter mentioned. There mechanical problems are as bad as our electronic problems. Bad hfp, bad vanos seal, bad waste gates...turbos going out.

if i get one imma get it with warranty and leave it stock until the warranty runs out.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: My Powerchip tune vs EC Tune vs OE tuning Experience