Aftermarket Warranty.... Any thoughts?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 12:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS, SLK, ETC
Aftermarket Warranty.... Any thoughts?

Has anyone on this board purchased an warranty from private company?
If so, which company do you recommend?
I'm thinking about buying an SLK55.. Was going to join the darkside (M5) but I figure, SLK55 would fit me a little bit better..

Please do share your thoughts
Old 08-27-2010, 08:46 AM

2004 Audi S4
I asked this question on the bimmer forums when I was thinking about buying an M3 and they said make sure you watch out for who you get your warranty from. Apparently a lot of companies find a way out of paying pretty much every bill you present to them. I would do a search on bimmmerforums.com and you should find a few good names of companies that did some guys on their right.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK55 AMG
i had fidelity, they were decent only they have zero tolerance for any type of modding
Old 08-27-2010, 12:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS, SLK, ETC
Called a company for a quote and their offer was $5000 n told me MB would charge $8000...

Didn't expect it to be that much.. I was thinking 2-3000 max for 2 years
Old 08-27-2010, 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 Chevrolet SS, 2006 Cadillac STS-V
Warranties are a waste of money, especially on a standard AMG car without an expensive supercharger. I highly would you would need to spend more than $1000 a year on repairs. I was given a quote of $4500 for a 3 year aftermarket warranty with a $500 deductible and the same price to extend my CPO warranty for 2 years with no deductable. Unless my engine throws a rod through the oil pan or something crazy there's no way I'll need to spend that much in repairs in 2-3 years, even if it is a Mercedes. I'd much rather put that money into paying down the loan or mods.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:35 PM

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
W203 C230, W210 E350, W166 ML63
You have a great point 91RS.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 S55 (SOLD, miss it every day), 2009 GL550
Originally Posted by 91RS
Warranties are a waste of money, especially on a standard AMG car without an expensive supercharger. I highly would you would need to spend more than $1000 a year on repairs. I was given a quote of $4500 for a 3 year aftermarket warranty with a $500 deductible and the same price to extend my CPO warranty for 2 years with no deductable. Unless my engine throws a rod through the oil pan or something crazy there's no way I'll need to spend that much in repairs in 2-3 years, even if it is a Mercedes. I'd much rather put that money into paying down the loan or mods.
sorry, no such thing as a "standard AMG car"

you advocate modding instead of warranty? well, then your mythical "standard AMG car" is no longer standard, is it?

Originally Posted by PeteyV
You have a great point 91RS.
his opinion is shared by many, but for my case I strongly disagree. ignoring my supercharger to comply with the condition in 91RS's post, I'd be a fool to own my AMG without a warranty, and it's completely stock except for a bluetooth puck. Completely stock and yet far from "standard".

Anyone know how much a transmission replacement costs for a "standard AMG car" these days?
Old 08-28-2010, 06:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

What are you talking about? You missed the without a supercharger part.... And I don't mean rebuilding/ruining the car with mods, good grief.

Hooleyboy had his transmission replaced/rebuilt with a built unit for $2500. So no more than a transmission for any other car and we know these transmissions are pretty bulletproof so why worry about it? Like I said, unless the engine throws a rod through the oil pan I highly doubt I'll need to spend $4500 in repairs in the 2-3 years an extended warranty will last.

And by what I said your car wouldn't be "standard" because yours is supercharged.......

Last edited by 91RS; 08-28-2010 at 06:25 AM.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by i_am_amused
sorry, no such thing as a "standard AMG car"

you advocate modding instead of warranty? well, then your mythical "standard AMG car" is no longer standard, is it?

his opinion is shared by many, but for my case I strongly disagree. ignoring my supercharger to comply with the condition in 91RS's post, I'd be a fool to own my AMG without a warranty, and it's completely stock except for a bluetooth puck. Completely stock and yet far from "standard".

Anyone know how much a transmission replacement costs for a "standard AMG car" these days?
What are you talking about? You missed the without a supercharger part.... And I don't mean rebuilding/ruining the car with mods, good grief.

Hooleyboy had his transmission replaced/rebuilt with a built unit for $2500. So no more than a transmission for any other car and we know these transmissions are pretty bulletproof so why worry about it? Like I said, unless the engine throws a rod through the oil pan I highly doubt I'll need to spend $4500 in repairs in the 2-3 years an extended warranty will last.

And by what I said your car wouldn't be "standard" because yours is supercharged.......

"ignoring my supercharger" means that we disregard any costs of repairs to it. Duh? That gets up to "without a supercharger", right? Duh? I'm sorry you didn't understand.

And I didn't say anything about "rebuilding/ruining the car with mods", all I said is once you mod the car, or ANY car, it's no longer standard. That's pretty much what "modify" means. Who knows what you meant by "mods", but I guess you meant non-performance, non-suspension, visual, look-at-me mods. Oh, OK, those probably won't change the reliability of the vehicle.

$2,500 for a transmission is *not* an insignificant expense that can be brushed under the rug like you are trying to do.

And let's move away from the big drive train components for a moment, to a tiny plastic piece near the shifter in W220s. Search for "stuck in Park" in the w220 forum. It can be a $1,000+ repair if you have take it to a dealer, and can a little as $75 if you can do the repair yourself. If you don't have the tools, time, and place, you better have a warranty.... And guess what? That is on *all* W220s, AMG or not. You seem to have forgotten that AMGs are MBs first, and MBs are not cheap to fix.

I wish you good luck with your plan, as I hope you wish me good luck with mine. For the OP, I hope he doesn't have any unexpected repair bills, and I don't care how he avoids them.
Old 08-28-2010, 06:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You know what I mean by "standard." We have C-Classes, not Maybachs.

If you're good with money and keep an emergency fund and not spend every penny you make, $2500 can be an insignificant expense. I'd much rather take the $4500 and invest it and make money off of it and then I have more to spend on repairs, if needed.

Thing is, extended warranties are mainly for "major" repairs because most of them won't cover small things like interior pieces. If your warranty will cover all the gizmos your S-Class has then you might get your money's worth. If having an extended warranty makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside then go for it. It's your money and your choice on how to spend it.
Old 08-28-2010, 07:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS, SLK, ETC
Take it easyyyyy fellas~~!!! lol

Umm.. I guess there is Pos n Neg side of this (as always)..
One SLK55 owner had to replace his 7spd tranny on his car and luckly, he had extended warranty.

I guess it gives you peace of mind.. But then, I don't think it's worth it at $5000...... I don't plan on owning the car for more than 2 years anyway..
Old 08-28-2010, 08:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You know what I mean by "standard." We have C-Classes, not Maybachs.

If you're good with money and keep an emergency fund and not spend every penny you make, $2500 can be an insignificant expense. I'd much rather take the $4500 and invest it and make money off of it and then I have more to spend on repairs, if needed.

Thing is, extended warranties are mainly for "major" repairs because most of them won't cover small things like interior pieces. If your warranty will cover all the gizmos your S-Class has then you might get your money's worth. If having an extended warranty makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside then go for it. It's your money and your choice on how to spend it.
how could I possibly know what you mean by "standard"? And isn't the C-class AMG transmission a known weak point over the years (prior to C55 I guess)?

Originally Posted by Quicktwinturbo
Take it easyyyyy fellas~~!!! lol

Umm.. I guess there is Pos n Neg side of this (as always)..
One SLK55 owner had to replace his 7spd tranny on his car and luckly, he had extended warranty.

I guess it gives you peace of mind.. But then, I don't think it's worth it at $5000...... I don't plan on owning the car for more than 2 years anyway..
$5k for 2 years isn't even worth it to me, and I obviously believe in warranty coverage for AMGs. I paid $3200 or so for a 4/60 platinum from Fidelity for my S55. That is very much worth it: it's the left side ABC struts I've had replaced, and I probably have less than a year before I do the right side.