C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

c32 custom fabricated exhaust

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 12:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK55 AMG
c32 custom fabricated exhaust

how do you think our cars would sound with a full custom exhaust, 3inch all the way back with high flow race cats and a resonator. at the car meet after racing a 2010 mustang gt with tune, custom intake headers and intake (beat him by about a car ) we started talking about exhausts and he builds his own. well he quoted me 300$ for the exhaust described above. should i take it? i mean i dont know about the gains from it but it sure is tempting.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:43 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
a car.
I'm going the custom exhaust route myself. I've purchased all of the parts myself and have a local shop lined up to put it all together and do the bends and welds. I bought a Dynomax X-Flo dual in dual out muffler. I have a C/F rear diffuser ready to mount with the dual openings after I cut the bumper. I bought two single in dual out exhaust tips and that should be it. I'm running the muffler under the center of the car and 2.5" back on each side. It should be something I'll have done in the next month so I'll let you know how it turns out.

Parts and labor total around $600 for everything so if he can do a good job for $300 I'd take it.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2002 C32, 2012 S550
Originally Posted by c32kompressor
how do you think our cars would sound with a full custom exhaust, 3inch all the way back with high flow race cats and a resonator. at the car meet after racing a 2010 mustang gt with tune, custom intake headers and intake (beat him by about a car ) we started talking about exhausts and he builds his own. well he quoted me 300$ for the exhaust described above. should i take it? i mean i dont know about the gains from it but it sure is tempting.
$300....if you think he might do a good job, jump on it!!
Old 08-30-2010, 01:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32/C55 AMG
I don't know why every one always says that an exhaust will be too loud if we are not running a muffler or if we go with a domestic brand muffler, as for your exhaust idea, I would just watch out for back pressure. You may lose some low end torque. Maybe you could see about using the resonator to help a bit, but I'm not too sure.

Definitely post a video once it's done. I plan on doing a similar exhaust, but I still have a few other things that I need to take care of.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:29 PM

CLK55 AMG
it should be done in about a month, i have to raise the funds first
Old 08-30-2010, 03:56 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

AMG
A full custom system is probably the only way to pick up any power on the C32s as the stock system just isn't the best. Running a full 3.0" setup is not a bad idea and since its Kompressor FI you don't really have to worry too much about backpressure as long as its consistent throughout the system. The key to unlocking good power out of the stock system is getting the Y-pipe merge right after the shorty headers. Going from a dual 2.0/2.25 to a single 3.0" the right way is easier said than done. If done correctly though, it should

If you are worried about noise you can simply run a high flow resonator as well. The only major downside to 3.0" is that most mufflers for that size have an external body of 5" instead of 4" so they take up more room and could potentially scrape more if the car is excessively lowered so keep that in mind. With that said a single pipe 3.0" system should be lightweight & very free flowing. You can run a magnaflow rear muffler but I would recommend running a magnaflow 22" resonator as well after the high flow cats & y-pipe. Should give you a nice smooth exhaust note with minimal drone.

Hope that helps....

Last edited by AMS Performance; 08-30-2010 at 03:59 PM.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
I spoke to vadim about this a long time ago. Keep in mind you have a sc, not a turbo and this is a v6 not v8. So you still need backpressure to create low end tq.

Vadim told me he had 3'' true duel exhaust and that he only gain a little bit of hp up top but lost a crap load of low end tq, so he said he wasn't worth it. He said you were better off just getting headers and keeping the stock exhaust which is 2.75'' anyways.

But given the price, it might be worth a shot. Maybe do some before and after dynos.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:27 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

AMG
Again, if you design the Y-pipe properly, there should not be any loss in low end torque, in fact you should gain. In most cases the reason people see torque loss when they try to upgrade to a larger diameter is they only convert a portion of the exhaust system to a larger diameter much later in the exhaust system but still retain many of the bottlenecks towards the front of the system. Anytime you have an abrupt change from high pressure zone to a lower pressure zone with a proper transition or merge .... you will lose back pressure (and torque) because the gas velocities change abruptly as turbulence increases.

Positive Displacement SC to react slightly differently to exhaust modifications than turbos so its a bit apples vs. oranges, but FI in general is not as sensitive to back pressure loss as NA cars (on a power percentage basis).

The real bottle neck though is without a doubt the headers. The stock exhaust manifolds have a primary diameter if only 1.4" and an exit flange of 1.6". The pre-cat piping is roughly 1.9"OD. For this reason pre-cat volume is small. Aftermarket headers will up both primary & exit flange diameter but again, you will have to run at biggest dual 2.25" downpipes until the Y-pipe w/ 3.0" exit. With headers, high flow primaries & secondary deletes, you should have no problems picking up a decent amount of HP, but unless you do the entire system at once... you will get minimal results at best (as proved by 2nd cat upgrades/deletes making almost no power on the C32s).

With a proper set of upgraded headers (decent set of shorties, and especially long tubes) you will eliminate most of the bottlenecks in the front of the system so that a larger diameter free flowing system can be used towards the middle & rear of the exhaust system.

For this reason it is always best to upgrade the entire exhaust system as an entire "system" and not merely both parts here & there. On some AMG models you can mod bit by bit (the prime example of this are the NA 55 AMGs), but for certain models this approach simply doesn't work as well as designing/upgrading the entire system at once. It costs more up front but you actually save significantly more down the road (and you almost always achieve better results).

Just some food for modding thought ...

Last edited by AMS Performance; 08-30-2010 at 05:32 PM.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c32
Well if anyone does this successfully, and if they could make a dual exhaust setup... i'd gladly pay them for a duplicate..
Old 08-30-2010, 07:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 porsche 996 turbo
not much gains in the true dual setup on the m112 s/c engine. maybe 10 hp at best. for the cost its not bad but your still looking at 800$ or more for the headers.
i met a guy with a c32 that had a dual inlet /dual outlet muffler placed in the resonater space with dual outlets exiting a c/f diffuser. looked very nice and sounded pretty decent.
i would also recommend an x pipe over the y pipe. when i did my 32 the drone was all but eliminated with the replacement of the y with an x pipe
Old 08-30-2010, 10:00 PM

CLK55 AMG
you guys have been really helpful, thank you, headers have to come later, theyre expansivein my budget. i will get it dynoed after, i have a dyno stock already
Old 08-30-2010, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32/C55 AMG
So then a true dual is not a good idea unless you keep the size of the pipe down? What about if you reduce the size of the piping while have duals. This would increase the flow, while remaining consistent and keeping back pressure.