I have recently installed some mods on my C32 following this order:

Initially:
1. Magnecor wires KV85
2. Replaced OEM plugs
3. Johnson pump

One or two months later:
1. 181mm pulley
2. EC tune

Before replacing or replacing nothing it was doing average 20mpg in highway, but now can get maximum 15-16mpg driving in same conditions. I also noticed that idle is -not being weird- not so soft and noisier than before.

I was not completly sure becuase I put in it only a few miles after changing plugs+wires and before install pulley+tune, but I think this increase in FC was already after installing wires+plugs.

Plugs should not be responsible because they are OEM (in fact I expected to increase mpg after replacing them because they had more than 100K on them), so I can only think that magnecors are responsible for this.

I'm also thinking about some lambdas are failing, but as it happened right after the mods I'm leaning more to make some of the mods responsible for this.

Anyone more faced this? Any solution or some verification to me made?

Tks!
Old 09-09-2010, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 C55
What troubleshooting have you done?

Who did the ECU tune?

With the tune, it might be running too rich.

If you think it is the wires or a plug, I would say to swap things back and keep a close eye on any changes.

The best thing to do is eliminate as many variables as possible.

Yes, the wires might be OEM, but check the resistance and see how it compares to the original ones. Make sure all the wires are securely installed on the plugs and coils.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts
C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
If you raised the boost with a smaller pulley, and changed tunes.... (more fuel to accompany the added boost) then it's prob correct.

Do you have a dyno sheet after your mods showing the AFR vs RPM? That will tell what is going on......
Old 09-09-2010, 09:46 AM

2006 C55
My mistake, you said OEM plugs and aftermarket wires.

Check the wires and plugs and make sure you getting spark.

What are the driving characteristics? Give some more detail. Does it feel down on power or right on?
Old 09-09-2010, 09:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32/C55 AMG
I lost mpg after installing a new pump, as for the sound, not too sure.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:29 AM

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by betrezra
If you raised the boost with a smaller pulley, and changed tunes.... (more fuel to accompany the added boost) then it's prob correct.

Do you have a dyno sheet after your mods showing the AFR vs RPM? That will tell what is going on......
No, I still had no time to take it to dyno.

I expected some more fuel consumption after install pulley+tune, but indeed not too much (maybe 1-2 mpg less after tune).
But as I've told, I'm almost sure that after plugs+wires and before tune fuel was already increased... maybe not too much.

Originally Posted by C55Newb121
My mistake, you said OEM plugs and aftermarket wires.

Check the wires and plugs and make sure you getting spark.

What are the driving characteristics? Give some more detail. Does it feel down on power or right on?
I use it as second car, mostly in highway and only a little bit in city. 95% of the time very smooth, only from time to time I want to feel the power, but does it. Never raced it.

It does not feel short in power, maybe not too much powerfull than before, but being honest I did not test it well after tune, just smooth driving and no more than 600-800km

What I see is that exhaust finals get more dirty now, I imagine it's not burnt fuel.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2002 C32, 2012 S550
Originally Posted by Galodourado
What I see is that exhaust finals get more dirty now, I imagine it's not burnt fuel.
Sounds like you're running rich. Pull out a couple of your plugs and see if they look like they're dirty too.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:03 AM

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Gramma_Benz
Sounds like you're running rich. Pull out a couple of your plugs and see if they look like they're dirty too.
I'm now out of country, but it will be the first thing to check: plugs+wires to see if they are fitted tight and also see if plugs are dirty.

Lambdas are not a common fault, right? Plug-in into diagnosis will tell if lambdas are ok?