C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Driver's side butt warmer not working, but not draining battery?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Silver 02 C32 & White 05 CLK500
Driver's side butt warmer not working, but not draining battery?

Hi, I just noticed today that for some reason, my driver's side seat heater(the butt part) is not working. All the other heaters seem fine on the passenger seat and the back part on the driver's seat. It does not drain my battery, but it also does not work. I have checked all the wires and connectors under the seat and they seemed fine. BTW, this heater is a year and a half old and I hope it is not broken. Is there maybe a certain fuses that I should check before I accept that my butt warmer is fried? If so, could you please tell me which ones and the location? I did research, but I kept coming up with the solution of the battery drain problem. The first time it was replaced because it was BURNING my leg when I turned it on. Thanks in advance and please help fall is here and winter is close so I need my butt heater.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
Common problem with the driver-side butt heater. The element fails and will not heat. Totally unrelated to the battery drain issue (pretty sure, at least).

Solution is replacement of element, which requires removing some of the seat upholstery. Probably not a DIY job.

Mine was replaced under warranty, and then failed again about a year later (out of warranty). I did not replace it again, as I already have a hot a**.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Vomit
Common problem with the driver-side butt heater. The element fails and will not heat. Totally unrelated to the battery drain issue (pretty sure, at least).

Solution is replacement of element, which requires removing some of the seat upholstery. Probably not a DIY job.

Mine was replaced under warranty, and then failed again about a year later (out of warranty). I did not replace it again, as I already have a hot a**.
I thought it would be an electric issue and that the heater is not broken. Oh well..... That butt heater is fairly new and it is kinda weird that it failed like that. I think that the reason those fail is that the cushion between the heather and the leather on the seat is very thin and if you are around 200lbs like me, it tends to fail when you sit on it every day. I am still hoping it is working and maybe it will fix itself. If anybody else has had the same problem and replaced the heater, what is the cheapest route, and how did you do it?
Old 09-10-2010, 11:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS, SLK, ETC
It's a pos.. I had mine replaced like 3 times by dealer.. in the end, **** doesn't work..
There is an aftermarket option.. I think... You'll have to do some search on that..
Old 09-11-2010, 07:40 PM

c 32 AMG
i gave up on them, both driver and passenger side went out, but our weather is pretty soft, so It is not worth the hassle for me. Back heaters still work
Old 09-12-2010, 07:41 PM

Yeah, its very unfortunate that it is expensive and difficult to replace these heaters, but as soon as I get some money together, I will fix it. Maybe I will go with the aftermarket option that Quicktwinturbo mentioned. Overall, I am sick of fixing up all the little things that have gone wrong with the car. I have spend around $3000 just fixing the C32 and have no money to mod it right now. Thank you for your responses.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:40 PM

Just today, my seat heater on the driver's seat completely died. At first, it worked for a while, but only the back side worked while the butt warmer did not. The red little lights used to light up when you hit the button. Now, even the red lights dont work. I restarted the car earlier, and when I pushed the button, it worked for a minute and when I pushed it again to turn it off to test it, it did not come back on. The passenger side works flawlessly. I am starting to think maybe there is nothing wrong with the seat heaters built into the seat, but rather with some fuse going out or there is a short somewhere causing it all to happen. I did research but did not find what fuses to look for and where to find them. Did this happen to any of you guys and how did you fix it? Please help and thanks.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:06 PM

C32 AMG
alkrstev, I am having this same exact issue. I still have yet to find a solution.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by dlwiser
alkrstev, I am having this same exact issue. I still have yet to find a solution.
That sucks. Its going to be a cold and long winter for us. We need to find which fuse controls the heated seats and try to replace it to see if it fixes the problem. That is the easiest and cheapest route to go at this moment. BTW dlwiser, how long have you had the same problem?
Old 11-02-2010, 10:04 PM

C32 AMG
Since last winter, lol.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:12 PM

2002 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by alkrstev
Just today, my seat heater on the driver's seat completely died. At first, it worked for a while, but only the back side worked while the butt warmer did not. The red little lights used to light up when you hit the button. Now, even the red lights dont work. I restarted the car earlier, and when I pushed the button, it worked for a minute and when I pushed it again to turn it off to test it, it did not come back on. The passenger side works flawlessly. I am starting to think maybe there is nothing wrong with the seat heaters built into the seat, but rather with some fuse going out or there is a short somewhere causing it all to happen. I did research but did not find what fuses to look for and where to find them. Did this happen to any of you guys and how did you fix it? Please help and thanks.
I'm having this exact same issue right now. BTW the fuse is on the driver side of the dash right beside the vent where the driver side door is covering. There should be a little sheet of paper stuffed in there to tell you which fuse is the driver side seat warmer. I pulled the fuse, it was fine. I put the fuse back in and the lights on the heater seat button would work again for a short time, then nothing. The lights wouldn't come on no matter what. I pulled the fuse again, pushed it back in, and again, the lights would come on when I pushed the button, but then after a short time it wouldn't work again. I'm thinking there's a fuse contact problem? Either that, or it's shutting off purposely? No idea. Winter is comming, I'd love to get this working soon! I'm storing my car for most of the winter months anyways, but reading about how many of you guys have problems, I think it's not lookin good.

Bryan

Last edited by Autotechnica; 11-02-2010 at 11:14 PM.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:54 PM

C32 AMG
I tried the fuse thing and I'm still getting nothing. no lights no heat. Pass side works like a charm though.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:39 PM

C32 amg
Can you tell me which fuse number? I have the chart but nothing says "seat heater." I have a 2002 C32 AMG. I have looked at all of the charts - engine, driver side and the one in the trunk and cannot find it.
Old 03-27-2011, 03:08 PM

'03 C32
Originally Posted by Vomit
+1