C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Iddler pulley & water pump broken!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
your fine running the ec tune with the stock pullies. Since the tune is designed for more boost, you'll just run rich, so you'll lose mpg, but it shouldn't hurt the engine.
Old 10-01-2010, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
It depends on the tune... you might be okay, you might not. The only thing to say unequivocally is that you'd be running a tune designed for a hardware configuration that you're no longer using.

As you mention, EC can most likely put you back to a stock tune. So can your dealership, though - I had that done once, and IIRC it cost me zero in parts and about 1 hr's worth of labor. Plus, that way, you know you have the latest programming/updates from MB/AMG.
Good point. I'll ask MB to know if they can do it and also the cost. Tks!

Originally Posted by TemjinX2
your fine running the ec tune with the stock pullies. Since the tune is designed for more boost, you'll just run rich, so you'll lose mpg, but it shouldn't hurt the engine.
Thanks a lot!
Old 10-01-2010, 03:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55
This whole 20k rpm thing has bothered me for a while. Maybe I'm way off here, but it seems to me that no bearing on the engine will ever go even remotely close to 20k rpm's. People read that number when they read how fast the supercharger can spin, but isn't that referring to the screws inside the supercharger; not the pulley? I don't see how any pulley run by the belt of the engine which has a red line around 6k could be spinning at 20,000 rpm's. If I'm sounding like an idiot, let me know, but this just doesn't make sense to me.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:38 PM

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by 02C32guy
This whole 20k rpm thing has bothered me for a while. Maybe I'm way off here, but it seems to me that no bearing on the engine will ever go even remotely close to 20k rpm's. People read that number when they read how fast the supercharger can spin, but isn't that referring to the screws inside the supercharger; not the pulley? I don't see how any pulley run by the belt of the engine which has a red line around 6k could be spinning at 20,000 rpm's. If I'm sounding like an idiot, let me know, but this just doesn't make sense to me.
Read this math. You will easily understand it.

http://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/304825-post16.html

It has nothing to be with SC. It's simply that you are putting a bigger (155 vs 181) pulley in crank -which is the one that makes all other spin- and a smaller one in idler (90 vs 60).

In fact, 181mm pulley makes idler spin at 18.850rpm at max engine 6.250rpm

Last edited by Galodourado; 10-01-2010 at 04:41 PM.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
Originally Posted by 02C32guy
i think basically since the idler pulley is so small, even though all the pullies are moving at the same speed, the smaller surface are of the pulley will allow the pulley to complete more rotations because the surface area to complete one rotation is a lot smaller then a pulley that has a much larger circumference.

Basically its me telling driver A they can only drive 45mph and telling driver B you can only drive 45mph.

But driver A will drive circles around his house and I tell driver B to drive circles around the block. After 1hr, driver A is going to complete more circles then Driver B since he didn't have to drive as far as Driver B to complete one circle.

Last edited by TemjinX2; 10-01-2010 at 04:44 PM.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:00 PM

C32, 911 SC
Originally Posted by TemjinX2
Basically its me telling driver A they can only drive 45mph and telling driver B you can only drive 45mph.

But driver A will drive circles around his house and I tell driver B to drive circles around the block. After 1hr, driver A is going to complete more circles then Driver B since he didn't have to drive as far as Driver B to complete one circle.
Finally, an easily digestible physics teacher!
Old 10-01-2010, 05:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Originally Posted by Galodourado
Read this math. You will easily understand it.

http://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/304825-post16.html

It has nothing to be with SC. It's simply that you are putting a bigger (155 vs 181) pulley in crank -which is the one that makes all other spin- and a smaller one in idler (90 vs 60).

In fact, 181mm pulley makes idler spin at 18.850rpm at max engine 6.250rpm

Thus the very reason I went for the Code 3 in lieu of the 185, 181 or 178 from LET or Renntech or whomever was offering it about three years ago. Brandon really & truly stepped up to the plate with the SC pulley. I was his first "retail" customer and although it ate a belt initially (grooves too aggressive in first run) , it has been flawless in 2.5 years of running. Knock wood, no pulley issues, no bearing issues, NOTHING. I may not get what the 185 guys (or even stacked guys) are getting as far as ultimate boost, BUT the reliability factor ALONE is enough to have me still loving the Code 3.

Last edited by Newzchspy; 10-01-2010 at 06:14 PM.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:12 PM

2005 E55
Welp, that definitely makes sense. I've been lawyered.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:30 PM

C32, 911 SC
Originally Posted by Newzchspy
Thus the very reason I went for the Code 3 in lieu of the 185, 181 or 178 from LET or Renntech or whomever was offering it about three years ago. Brandon really & truly stepped up to the plate with the SC pulley. I was his first "retail" customer and although it ate a belt initially (grooves too aggressive in first run) , it has been flawless in 2.5 years of running. Knock wood, no pulley issues, no bearing issues, NOTHING. I may not get what the 185 guys (or even stacked guys) are getting as far as ultimate boost, BUT the reliability factor ALONE is enough to have me still loving the Code 3.
I agree with you, I think larger crank pulley should be mandated to come with NW PSK. If you don't have PSK, it's just a disaster waiting to happen.

Besides, if I run 12.7 with Code3 pulley, intake and tune, I won't be complaining at all!
Old 10-04-2010, 01:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Question

Originally Posted by loungn14
Its a new pulley kit so it would have had the new bearing, most likely it was a overtighting of the bolt.

We see it quite often, the proper procedure is to tighten this bolt to a maximum of 15 ft.lb (180 in.lb). Thats actually not that much, and easy to exceed.
I found out fortunately right by my house that I had an issue...question I have is the 185 kit I got thru Jerry was the idler pulley the new version? Mine was installed by fluid motion when LET used them for install prior to Eurocharge existing..now I can't guarantee the install but Jerry was there at the time but I'm wondering if the idler was the redesigned or modified from original? I now need a belt, bolt for idler pulley and maybe an idler pulley(it fell on plastic bottom cover of engine bay so I don't know if it's damaged at all....will check in morning when i can see...do you sell belts? Please explain about this pulley saver thing and if I should get it, if you stock it and how much?
Old 10-04-2010, 01:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aston Martin V8 Vantage
Originally Posted by Biscuit
I had this happen on my car before I did any modifications to it. I was lucky enough to be sitting in a parking lot on a conference call when I started hearing my belt squeak. Had it flat-bedded over to my local repair shop and they took care of it. Since the water pump had to be replaced it seems like it ran me about $750 (US Dollars) to get fixed? Been quite a while ago, I can't remember.

Best of luck though I know it sucks.

my c55 squeaks at idle when the car is cold for about a minute. i thought it was normal, the car is under warranty for the next couple months, should i get it checked?