Zimmermann coat-z vs. MB original rotors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 11:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
Zimmermann coat-z vs. MB original rotors

I've noticed that original MB rotors already come with a gray paint on them for anti-rusting (look). Zimmermann offers both a regular and a coat-z rotor as well. I was wondering if anyone has bought the coat-z rotor and compared with stock? I just want something that's not going to rust, and most aftermarket caliper paints I've used on rotors normally wear off or chip over time.

Zimmermann non-coated front: $105
Zimmermann coat-z front: $113
Original MB coated front: $123
Old 10-30-2010, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 C55 AMG
just get oem, i looked into both too, just got oem still no rust.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C32 AMG
There are shops that do cadmium plating on rotors. I buy aftermarket rotors and do this each time. I never get any rust. However, keep in mind a lot of the rust comes from the metallic brake dust and not the rotor itself. Keep them clean and this won't happen.
Old 10-30-2010, 10:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32/C55 AMG
parts.com has the rotors for $93 each.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Parts.com doesn't state whether they are original MB or not, so I'm going with that they're probably not...

I've had cadmium plated rotors before and they also rusted. But one very good thing you mentioned that I didn't realize was that my semi-metallic pads I had on at the time might have deposited onto the surface and that's what rusted. Hmm....

I think I'm just going to put it up and pay the premium for the original MB rotors since I have yet to find anything else that comes close to their protective coating. Paired with Akebono euro pads, hopefully they'll stay looking nice for a long time.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
2006 E55
All rotors will rust....the coating only delays the inevitable.
Sucks!

I agree that the oem's are the way to go.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Worth the wait
All rotors will rust....the coating only delays the inevitable.
Actually I disagree with that, if you look right now at my original factory rotors that are 5 years old and have 72,000 miles, you can rub off the black brake dust and find that the rotor is still gray underneath .

I think I've made up my mind, and that's that the premium I pay now will pay itself back easily since I'll probably have these rotors on for a very very long time. My current rotors could probably last till 100k or longer based off the depth measurement, I just want to go ahead and replace them now since the front pads are almost done for. I'm going to keep the old rotors in the event I ever do a track day - buy some track pads and have them chew up some old rotors rather than my DD rotors.
Old 10-31-2010, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32/C55 AMG
Originally Posted by Viper98912
Parts.com doesn't state whether they are original MB or not, so I'm going with that they're probably not...

I've had cadmium plated rotors before and they also rusted. But one very good thing you mentioned that I didn't realize was that my semi-metallic pads I had on at the time might have deposited onto the surface and that's what rusted. Hmm....

I think I'm just going to put it up and pay the premium for the original MB rotors since I have yet to find anything else that comes close to their protective coating. Paired with Akebono euro pads, hopefully they'll stay looking nice for a long time.
Actually all the parts from parts.com are oem directly from mb dealerships. Every thing comes in oem packaging as well. I plan on purchasing a pair this week and I'll make sure to take pics for you.
Old 10-31-2010, 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by loudandheard
Actually all the parts from parts.com are oem directly from mb dealerships. Every thing comes in oem packaging as well. I plan on purchasing a pair this week and I'll make sure to take pics for you.
Actually yes, please do, that would be awesome if it was
Old 10-31-2010, 01:05 PM

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by loudandheard
parts.com intercooler said made in mexico but you know you can get the parts.com price then go to your local dealership's part window and ask them if they can price match i do that all the time and it works
Old 10-31-2010, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32/C55 AMG
Originally Posted by francoisisp
parts.com intercooler said made in mexico but you know you can get the parts.com price then go to your local dealership's part window and ask them if they can price match i do that all the time and it works
Was it an intercooler you bought from parts.com or did you ask them where it was made? Every thing I have bought was an oem part and had all the mb stickers and seals on the boxes. I might be wrong, but I don't think I've received a part that was aftermarket.