Mercedes Brakes Prevent Death by Vehicle

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 04:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0 LS2 - Blue
Mercedes Brakes Prevent Death by Vehicle

So I go out cruising tonight, and a few after getting on the highway driving along at 70MPH just relaxing. Three lane highway was on the furthest inside. Around five cars trailing behind seven or eight lengths back. See this white figure start to appear center in my lane. Turns out to be some drunk/drugged or just plain suicidal guy standing there looking right at the c32 not moving at all. Slam brakes full force 70-20MPH in a matter of a second. Start to veer towards the shoulder, and he runs same direction! Had to turn heavy into left lane to dodge this crazy guy.

He was seriously lined up dead center with the c32 at first. If I wasn't paying attention would have been a horrible accident. Dead guy no doubt, and not full coverage so would have been paying out of pocket for heavy repairs. Not like killing some guy wouldn't be enough... Be careful everyone. Pay attention to the road! Thank god I wasn't speeding... Pulled over at the next exit right ahead, and called the cops. Apparently several people had already done so.

Old 11-07-2010, 04:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32, 911 SC
Wow! Nice save. It might have been worse if you're in a regular car. Drive safe!
Old 11-07-2010, 04:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
2014 E350 4Matic
Great save! I appreciate your story and action. It is good for us all to remain fully aware when driving. Where I live, many old and very young people walk or ride bikes in dark clothing on the side of very narrow roads in the evening and the dark. This behavior is not less dangerous than the drunkard/druggie you described above and always requires my full attention. Thank God the C55 can withstand and execute some rather necessary violent swerves and stops.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
yeah the c32 brakes have saved me on more then one occasion. Its probably the second best feature of the car other then the supercharger.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
none
Any reason you don't have full coverage on a C32?
Old 11-07-2010, 10:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 C230 6speed/14 C63
2 years ago, driving north on collins and 85th, 2am were in a honda accord coupe. Same as you except we first thought he was crossing the street, it only took us trying to avoid him to see his real intentions, he had a bottle in his hand and was TRYING to jump in front of our car. Crazy ****

Glad your alright, a projectile such as a human body can be fatal to someone in your car being that it was hit at 70mph.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Wow! Nice save. It might have been worse if you're in a regular car. Drive safe!
Good comparison would be my 350z. Where the c32 braked 70 to 20-30MPH or so in that time the 350z would have been going at least 40-50MPH still. The BAS, ABS, Caliper, and Rotor combination on these Mercedes is absolutely life saving in many situations. With BAS I had barely hit the brake peddle quarter way, and full force braking already engaged due to the emergency brake action detected.
Great save! I appreciate your story and action. It is good for us all to remain fully aware when driving. Where I live, many old and very young people walk or ride bikes in dark clothing on the side of very narrow roads in the evening and the dark. This behavior is not less dangerous than the drunkard/druggie you described above and always requires my full attention. Thank God the C55 can withstand and execute some rather necessary violent swerves and stops.
I can testify to even the very bottom line 2000+ Mercedes. My Sportcoupe's brakes saved me on several occasions. What if I was changing the radio station or something though? He would be splat... Really lucked out! I give credit to my many years of video game simulation racing as well. Helped a lot towards maneuvering, and keeping control...
yeah the c32 brakes have saved me on more then one occasion. Its probably the second best feature of the car other then the supercharger.
+1 on that for sure!
Any reason you don't have full coverage on a C32?
It's the difference of $70 a month compared to over $200 a month... After this might reconsider!
2 years ago, driving north on collins and 85th, 2am were in a honda accord coupe. Same as you except we first thought he was crossing the street, it only took us trying to avoid him to see his real intentions, he had a bottle in his hand and was TRYING to jump in front of our car. Crazy ****

Glad your alright, a projectile such as a human body can be fatal to someone in your car being that it was hit at 70mph.
I've never ran into this situation before. It's not something you would expect to ever happen!
Old 11-08-2010, 01:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
given how expensive c32 parts are. I would highly suggest getting collusion with your liability.
Old 11-09-2010, 03:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Agreed...
Old 11-09-2010, 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PLAID
Originally Posted by TemjinX2
given how expensive c32 parts are. I would highly suggest getting collusion with your liability.

Yes, that "collusion" will have you agreeing with every Tom Dick and Harry out there

You mean "Collision."

Engineering school definition of Collision: When two object try to occupy the same space at the same time!!

Collusion: Agreeing for "nefarious" purposes
Old 11-10-2010, 01:21 AM

1992 Toyota Corolla, 1994 Chevy C1500, 2002 C32, 2012 Prius, 2013 Toyota Sienna
LOL

Originally Posted by Newzchspy
[/U][/I][/B]

Yes, that "collusion" will have you agreeing with every Tom Dick and Harry out there

You mean "Collision."

Engineering school definition of Collision: When two object try to occupy the same space at the same time!!

Collusion: Agreeing for "nefarious" purposes
Old 11-10-2010, 10:23 AM

2002 C32 AMG
"given how expensive c32 parts are. I would highly suggest getting collusion with your liability. "

I have just rebuilt the front end of my C32, and I didn't find parts overly expensive except for the AMG bumper, but there are aftermarket versions for <$400 and 'gently used' ones on ebay for ~ $150.

I did everything from the license plate holder back to the front of the engine for <$2000 plus my labor. I repaired the headlights 'cause they are expensive, but they are easy to fix. I didn't need to replace the fenders, but they are only ~ $150 each anyay.

I am not going to have any collision on my car. If I have an accident, I am confident it will not be my fault (car:great handling car with great brakes, me: video game reflexes), and if there is damage due to the other guy, my lawyer extracts $ from him/her for price of repairs and I do the work myself just for kicks.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:45 PM

'05 C55
Coming from an 04 Pontiac GTO that had undersized brakes from the factory, the brakes on these cars definitely will suck the snaut out of your nose.

Oh also, I thought I felt it once, but I'm unsure. Do these cars attempt to use the brakes to correct sliding in a corner? For instance, if I hit a corner too fast and my front wheel starts sliding in a bad push situation?
Old 11-23-2010, 12:49 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
Originally Posted by BrandonS
Coming from an 04 Pontiac GTO that had undersized brakes from the factory, the brakes on these cars definitely will suck the snaut out of your nose.

Oh also, I thought I felt it once, but I'm unsure. Do these cars attempt to use the brakes to correct sliding in a corner? For instance, if I hit a corner too fast and my front wheel starts sliding in a bad push situation?
yes