C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Winter Storage?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 11:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C55
Winter Storage?

For those of you who store your car in a garage over the winter without driving it, how do you store it?

Anybody run into issues with the tires flatspotting?
Old 11-11-2010, 10:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 C32, 2007 E550 4matic
I have heard some recommend jack stands and one user recommend inflating tires to 50 psi before storage. Last year, I just took my C32 out like once or twice a month with any issues.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 173 Likes on 124 Posts
2018 GLC300 4Matic; 2005 C55; 2003 360 Modena
Both cars just went into storage for the next 5-6 months. Battery tender hard wired and connected full time. Dust covers, plastic covering the floor. Climate controlled, moderate relative humidity.

Tire pressure the same, but parked on rubber storage mats that form with the tire to lessen flat spotting. However, either car will sit only weeks without driving when not in storage and the tires flat spot. Within 3-5 miles the thumping is gone. Goodyear (and I assume other tire manufacturers) offer no concerns over flat spotting during storage and offer more concern over dry rotted tires.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:16 PM

2002 C32, 2011 VW GTI
Originally Posted by kjb55
Both cars just went into storage for the next 5-6 months. Battery tender hard wired and connected full time. Dust covers, plastic covering the floor. Climate controlled, moderate relative humidity.

Tire pressure the same, but parked on rubber storage mats that form with the tire to lessen flat spotting. However, either car will sit only weeks without driving when not in storage and the tires flat spot. Within 3-5 miles the thumping is gone. Goodyear (and I assume other tire manufacturers) offer no concerns over flat spotting during storage and offer more concern over dry rotted tires.
Figured I'd bump this as there doesn't seem to be a comprehensive storage thread and I'm putting my C32 away on September 1. It'll be down until April 1. Some tips I've heard to ensure no damage:

1. Change fluids (power steering fluid, brake fluid, coolant, transmission fluid, and engine oil).

2. Good wash and wax.

3. Treat rubber seals with Wurth Rubber Care. Treat tires with Vinylex.

4. Clean interior, treat seats with Lexol.

5. Put charcoal briquets inside pie pans and place in the interior to absorb moisture and odors. Crack windows for air flow.

6. Inflate tires to 50 PSI (do not put on jack stands or anything that causes unnatural suspension positioning). I've read that flat spots generally are not a concern with modern radial tires.

7. Remove battery and put in cool, dry place.

8. Top off gas tank (fuel additives not necessary if storage < 1 year).

9. Mouse-proof the car and area (turn HVAC system off, put traps near car, seal openings with plastic where possible).

Anyone have anything to add to this insofar as the C32 is concerned? Thanks!
Old 08-18-2011, 10:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
2013 C63 AMG P31, 2014 GMC Sierra (6.2)
Originally Posted by Slater126
Figured I'd bump this as there doesn't seem to be a comprehensive storage thread and I'm putting my C32 away on September 1. It'll be down until April 1. Some tips I've heard to ensure no damage:

1. Change fluids (power steering fluid, brake fluid, coolant, transmission fluid, and engine oil).

2. Good wash and wax.

3. Treat rubber seals with Wurth Rubber Care. Treat tires with Vinylex.

4. Clean interior, treat seats with Lexol.

5. Put charcoal briquets inside pie pans and place in the interior to absorb moisture and odors. Crack windows for air flow.

6. Inflate tires to 50 PSI (do not put on jack stands or anything that causes unnatural suspension positioning). I've read that flat spots generally are not a concern with modern radial tires.

7. Remove battery and put in cool, dry place.

8. Top off gas tank (fuel additives not necessary if storage < 1 year).

9. Mouse-proof the car and area (turn HVAC system off, put traps near car, seal openings with plastic where possible).

Anyone have anything to add to this insofar as the C32 is concerned? Thanks!

I just have to ask - where do you live that you are parking your car September 1st already? Or, is this non weather related (IE: deployment)?
I'm in Western Canada and I typically go into late October or early November before I park my C55 for the winter.

I will say this - that's probably the most extensive pre-storage prep list I've come across. I park mine in a heated building for the winter that is pretty much dust free. As for my prep, its been:

Make sure car is clean both inside and out prior to storage

Full tank of fresh gas

I start the car once every one or two weeks and bring the engine to operating temperature. I'll also bring up the rpms and rev it a bit once its warmed up.

I'll engage the transmission and drive it back and forward a bit.

Before turning it off I'll make sure it's not sitting on the same part of the tire as before as to avoid flat spots.

That's it so far..

Last edited by wawy; 08-18-2011 at 11:06 PM.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2006 C55, 1995 C36
Not sure what type of gas you get in your area, but for that long a time you might consider some sta-bil if you are forced to use ethanol blends like her in Maryland. I've had to tear apart the carbs on my motorcycle twice so far after sitting as shortly as a month Ethanol blends suck!!
Old 08-18-2011, 11:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
2013 C63 AMG P31, 2014 GMC Sierra (6.2)
I use Nitrogen Enriched Shell V-Power gasoline here. As far as I know it has no Ethanol anything. I do agree that using a fuel stabilizer is a good idea and have decided to do that this year..
Old 08-18-2011, 11:45 PM

2002 C32, 2011 VW GTI
Originally Posted by wawy
I just have to ask - where do you live that you are parking your car September 1st already? Or, is this non weather related (IE: deployment)?
I'm in Western Canada and I typically go into late October or early November before I park my C55 for the winter.

I will say this - that's probably the most extensive pre-storage prep list I've come across. I park mine in a heated building for the winter that is pretty much dust free. As for my prep, its been:

Make sure car is clean both inside and out prior to storage

Full tank of fresh gas

I start the car once every one or two weeks and bring the engine to operating temperature. I'll also bring up the rpms and rev it a bit once its warmed up.

I'll engage the transmission and drive it back and forward a bit.

Before turning it off I'll make sure it's not sitting on the same part of the tire as before as to avoid flat spots.

That's it so far..
It's not where I live, it's what else I drive! I bought an '11 VW GTI back in May. That car's so good that I drive it all the time now and the C32 doesn't see much action anymore. It also didn't help that its crankshaft position sensor failed the one time I took it out for a date, embarassing me. So I figure I'll save on insurance, gas, and car repairs and give the MB a rest. Besides, it's at 75k miles, which is about where I want to keep it.

Stay-Bil might be a good idea, I agree. That can't hurt. I've also heard others recommend putting plastic underneath the car to prevent moisture from rising up. There are alternating theories on the battery. Some say leave it in and trickle charge it. Others say remove it. When I stored my E36 M3 in winter's past I removed it, though I'd be interested in hearing from other C32 owners on this.

Last edited by Slater126; 08-18-2011 at 11:47 PM.