Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 07:55 PM
PTE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
05 ML-500 , 03 CLK5.5 AMG has left the Garage
PTE Modded THERMOSTATS

Hello all from the laboratory LOL/garage machine shop PTE engineering: Today I shipped my 100th modded Thermostat,year to date , for Mercedes Benz engines. This puts the shipment of the last 3 years into the 500+ range. I have four pieces left in the stockroom from last summer's order from Germany. As you know I use genuine Mercedes Benz assemblies and I modify and fit a vernatherm from Wahler built specifically for my applications. As many of you already know , with the three valve M-113 5.0 and 5.5 along with the M-112 3.2 , is no longer being used in current production cars. So it leaves me with the decision "Do I continue?" purchasing component parts or halt production of the modded thermostat assemblies ,I have a order in for 25 more Wahler assys. The forum Members here at MBworld have been great . I'm Just hoping for some honest Answers . I'm sure there will be some debate among the members. Thank you for your Past & Present interest. in _PTEngineering Stuff

Last edited by PTE; 07-12-2009 at 07:58 PM.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 EVO 8 612whp(sold) 2005 c55 amg R35 GTR
What does a modded thermostat do ?
Old 07-14-2009, 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 porsche 996 turbo
is mine the magical 100? ill let my 32 guys know whats up!
Old 07-14-2009, 01:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
possible group buy over on the E55 forum:

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...gineering.html
Old 07-14-2009, 02:25 PM

05 crossfire w/SL55 drivetrain installed by Rudy Compart Intake/Needswings best et-10.76 @ 129
well I finialy got around to installing my PTE Modded THERMOSTAT, if only we knew what this thermostat was going to do for us,, I would have installed it in the day i got it from Patrick ,, I have not set up the fan mod as of yet but almost don't need it , I am in south Florida where the temp stays above 80 and during the day lately we have had 95 degree temp. and my car stays one notch below the 1/2 mark.normal is one needle above the 1/2 mark being that i do not have the fan mod done yet after an hour of driving (city) my temp. goes back to factory setting,, but wait when the fan mod is in my temp will be one notch below the 1/2 mark all the time. right after the install i drove 62 miles to the track, tecked in and then let it cool,,, temp at the track was 84 degrees,, made 3 1/4 mile runs 12.71,, 12.76 ,, 12.78,, now my temp is comming up,, my last run was 13.01 the thing is this thing works to keep your car cooler and run stronger thanks patrick for this mod. jim

https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...ermostats.html

Last edited by amx1397; 07-14-2009 at 02:30 PM. Reason: correct spelling,, did i get them all?
Old 07-14-2009, 02:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
glad to hear it works for you amx1397. i as well still dont understand how this improves cooling either.

by the way, you just posted a link to the thread we're reading
Old 07-14-2009, 02:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
Patrick (PTE):

i just read in a thread over on the W211 E55 subforum

(https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...hermostat.html)

that the thermostat you offer isnt necessary or good for the car if you separate the coolant circuit. does it get too cold and not reach the correct operating temperature or something? or is this an incorrect statement?
Old 07-14-2009, 03:02 PM

I DON'T COME HERE ANYMORE
IIRC from the website-I think this thermostate opens earlier, and stays open longer then the factory-allowing more flow time on the engine-
Old 07-14-2009, 03:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by rockjock
IIRC from the website-I think this thermostate opens earlier, and stays open longer then the factory-allowing more flow time on the engine-
so then would this be a problem with separating the coolant system since the temps will already be lower? maybe operating temp may not be reached or something? i remember reading a while ago that some people had too cold of temps from one of the older style/setting tstats and saw CELs
Old 07-14-2009, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
If it's like most modded t-stats, you simply drill a whole or two in it so it always flows some coolant, even when closed. Simple solution but does make a difference in temps. Every 32 should have one of these or DIY since it's very easy to do. Cooling wise, this is as good as a larger HE for a fraction of the cost.

Last edited by SilverBulletAMG; 07-14-2009 at 03:14 PM.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:18 PM

I DON'T COME HERE ANYMORE
I'm not sure how the seperation of the coolant set up goes-but if all you are doing is splitting the tanks-this should have little effect to that-its still just the one Tstat that is controlling the flow (open/close) function-I think it would be safe to run this with the coolant mod-I dont know that there is a too cold for cars when running-I do know that most are tuned for a certain temp (usually around the 200-212 area iirc)-below that is not the best performance, above, the same.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 porsche 996 turbo
Originally Posted by jturkel
so then would this be a problem with separating the coolant system since the temps will already be lower? maybe operating temp may not be reached or something? i remember reading a while ago that some people had too cold of temps from one of the older style/setting tstats and saw CELs
separating the i/c from the engine wont have any effect on the tstat. by separating the i/c you are keeping the hot coolant from the i/c. this wont cause the engine to run any cooler than the tstat will allow.
according to partick he longer uses the lower (`169) style of mods which were causing the cels. at 180 no cel will be tripped
Old 07-14-2009, 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 porsche 996 turbo
Originally Posted by SilverBulletAMG
If it's like most modded t-stats, you simply drill a whole or two in it so it always flows some coolant, even when closed. Simple solution but does make a difference in temps. Every 32 should have one of these or DIY since it's very easy to do. Cooling wise, this is as good as a larger HE for a fraction of the cost.
the tstats made by pte are not drilled tstats. these are completely rebuilt tstats with lighter pills allowing for a 180 degree temp. drilling holes was the early attempts at tstat mods. not really used now
Old 07-14-2009, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
posts #5, 10, and 14 were the ones that brought this whole coolant circuit thing to my mind:

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...ml#post3621957
Old 07-14-2009, 03:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 porsche 996 turbo
posts #5, 10, and 14 were the ones that brought this whole coolant circuit thing to my mind:

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...ml#post3621957
i have been following that thread also. doesnt make sense to me. by separating the i/c from the engine you are cooling the i/c not altering anything in the engine cooling dept. it is only 2 hoses separated from the coolant tank that separates the i/c. with my supercooler i have enough fluid in the i/c system to sustain it on its own.
its my belief the poster that has the tstat for sale read a post and never tried the tstat. the lower temp tstats in the beginning were a cel issue not the ones made currently
Old 07-14-2009, 03:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 porsche 996 turbo
post 20 on this thread
https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...eparation.html

its pics of the separtion mod and my supercooler. this mod is easy and can be returned to stock if wanted
Old 07-14-2009, 03:54 PM

2005 c55amg, 2000 clk430, 2002 clk55amg, 2008 clk63amg black series
i am still freakin confused?
Old 07-14-2009, 04:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 porsche 996 turbo
Originally Posted by mb_c55amg_guy
i am still freakin confused?
i dont know how to explain it any better. search waldig aka woody on the crossfireforum. srt-6 section. he's the cooling guru and father of the supercooler. ha has modded tstats, built h/e and posted videos and threads on all his mods. maybe it will help you to understand. the srt-6 motor is the same as the slk32 or c32
Old 07-14-2009, 04:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by 320 dreamer
post 20 on this thread
https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...eparation.html

its pics of the separtion mod and my supercooler. this mod is easy and can be returned to stock if wanted
yah but i want to add an additional reservoir that isn't "built in" to the hose lol. but yah i get the point. i just wasnt sure if it was unwise to do both since i saw that post in the W211 thread
Old 07-14-2009, 04:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 porsche 996 turbo
yah but i want to add an additional reservoir that isn't "built in" to the hose lol. but yah i get the point. i just wasnt sure if it was unwise to do both since i saw that post in the W211 thread
the i/c separation will help regardless of what h/e you use. by using a supercooler like mine there isnt a need for a resovoir unless you want an ice chute for racing. the capicty of the supercooler is more than adequate. if there is any loss there is a filler cap to add fluid. it seems brina brave and such wanted the extra resovoir to add cold fluid or ice when they were racing. daily drivers and weekend cars like mine simply dont need it.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by 320 dreamer
the i/c separation will help regardless of what h/e you use. by using a supercooler like mine there isnt a need for a resovoir unless you want an ice chute for racing. the capicty of the supercooler is more than adequate. if there is any loss there is a filler cap to add fluid. it seems brina brave and such wanted the extra resovoir to add cold fluid or ice when they were racing. daily drivers and weekend cars like mine simply dont need it.
well i think my heat exchanger is sufficient. i do have one. the LET one. i just want an additional reservoir so each circuit has one once separated. and i have been told by Brian and others that adding in ice didnt make much of a difference (interestingly enough).....anyway, lets stay on topic with the tstats.

how easy is tstat install?
Old 07-14-2009, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
PTE's earliest modded t-stats allegedly could prevent the engine from reaching optimal temp in cool/cold conditions. AFAIK, the newer 180* versions do not have any ill effects or trigger any CELs. As mentioned above, they are rebuilt, reengineered assemblies designed to open at a lower temp - not a drill job on an OEM part purposefully making it leak all the time.

As far as separating the IC fluid from the engine cooling system - I respectfully think some of you aren't thinking this all the way through. What is the objective of separating the IC fluid from the engine's coolant? Lowering IATs, by lowering the IC system fluid temps. If separating the systems results in lower IC fluid temps, it also must mean less coolant volume and heat rejection capability from the engine-side of the equation. Consequently, separating the systems *should* result in cooler IATs at the expense of slightly higher engine coolant (i.e. water) temps than a non-separated system - one would have to datalog extensively to see if this is a materially significant level of increase or not. But overall, it *should* make the modded t-stat more useful on a car with separated systems, not less. My $0.02... YMMV.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
PTE's earliest modded t-stats allegedly could prevent the engine from reaching optimal temp in cool/cold conditions. AFAIK, the newer 180* versions do not have any ill effects or trigger any CELs. As mentioned above, they are rebuilt, reengineered assemblies designed to open at a lower temp - not a drill job on an OEM part purposefully making it leak all the time.
this is what i have discovered in my searching....
As far as separating the IC fluid from the engine cooling system - I respectfully think some of you aren't thinking this all the way through. What is the objective of separating the IC fluid from the engine's coolant? Lowering IATs, by lowering the IC system fluid temps. If separating the systems results in lower IC fluid temps, it also must mean less coolant volume and heat rejection capability from the engine-side of the equation. Consequently, separating the systems *should* result in cooler IATs at the expense of slightly higher engine coolant (i.e. water) temps than a non-separated system - one would have to datalog extensively to see if this is a materially significant level of increase or not. But overall, it *should* make the modded t-stat more useful on a car with separated systems, not less. My $0.02... YMMV.
thank you for your input. makes sense actually now. if anything, it would seem this would help the separate coolant system.

with regards to the bolded statement, yes it would decrease the capacity of the coolant volume......which is exactly why I will be adding an additional reservoir to account for this volume decrease

so looks like best way to go is

ic coolant: separated from engine with additional reservoir, larger heat exchanger, pump, heat wrapped components if truly desired

engine coolant: -10 fan mod, pte tstat

correct?

and as far as the engine temps, i believe someone datalogged it extensively over on the srt6 forum and they reported at most an increase of about 10 degrees C in engine temps.....but i do not recall if they had a tstat and am almost 100% certain they did not have the -10 fan mod
Old 07-14-2009, 04:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 porsche 996 turbo

i think i can answer this query. by separating the i/c it seems i lost about 2 quarts of fluid from the oem h/e to the engine. but when i separated it it also allowed all the fluid in the resovoir to be used in the engine regaining maybe 1 qt? so overall loss was maybe 1 qt? with 15 qts in the system i dont think heat rejection would be affected by much.
and i concure the tstat should work better with a separted system

i wish everyone could see how much cooler my i/c runs now. i can run the car for hours and reach down and hold the inlet and outlet hoses. of course the engine compartment still roast your hands and the motor is still quite hot but i know the h/e works wonders
Old 07-14-2009, 04:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2002 C32, 2012 S550
Oooops, sorry, I missed the earlier post by amx1397 saying the same thing.

This thermostat on a SRT-6:

http://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/...installed.html

amx1397
Forum Regular

User Gallery
PTE Modded THERMOSTAT installed - Today , 02:23 PM

well I finialy got around to installing my PTE Modded THERMOSTAT, if only we knew what this thermostat was going to do for us,, I would have installed it in the day i got it from Patrick ,, I have not set up the fan mod as of yet but almost don't need it , I am in south Florida where the temp stays above 80 and during the day lately we have had 95 degree temp. and my car stays one notch below the 1/2 mark.normal is one needle above the 1/2 mark being that i do not have the fan mod done yet after an hour of driving (city) my temp. goes back to factory setting,, but wait when the fan mod is in my temp will be one notch below the 1/2 mark all the time. right after the install i drove 62 miles to the track, tecked in and then let it cool,,, temp at the track was 84 degrees,, made 3 1/4 mile runs 12.71,, 12.76 ,, 12.78,, now my temp is comming up,, my last run was 13.01 the thing is this thing works to keep your car cooler and run stronger thanks patrick for this mod. jim

https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...ermostats.html

Last edited by Gramma_Benz; 07-15-2009 at 01:37 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: PTE Modded THERMOSTATS