C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Supercharger / Hesitation Issues; 2002 C32

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c32 amg
Supercharger / Hesitation Issues; 2002 C32

In my previous post I noted my 2002 C32 hesitates (under hard acceleration from a low initial speed) even after two pulleys were replaced recently and plugs and wires were changed. Intercooler and radiator have also been replaced. I want to know when and how one knows when it is time for Supercharger tune up or when there are issues with it? What are the signs? the car has 103K on it. I did buy a clutch for the supercharger just in case but have not had it installed. Would replacing the clutch at 103K solve the problem? I hate to spend more money on this and find it still doesn't solve the problem. Any ideas?
Thanks,
andy T
Old 11-11-2010, 10:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0 LS2 - Blue
I believe I read in your other posts you did replace the intercooler pump, but still this sounds like it may be your issue. We can't tell you if your clutch is bad obviously. Please explain the situation in more detail...
Old 11-12-2010, 05:32 PM

c32 amg
I did replace the intercooler with Johnson pump when the car had 98K and after this the car performed well. This hesitation is something new. I notice when I press hard on the gas (3/4 way down) the car hesitates a second or two before the high rpm kicks in. This hesitation issue comes and goes. Whether the car has completely warmed up or not does not solve this issue. I hope my explanation is clearer. Thanks,
Andy T
Old 11-13-2010, 12:00 PM

c32 amg
I did notice that acceleration hesitation mostly happens when the 2002 C32 is in the third or fourth gear (30 to 40 mph). Does this make it easier to pinpoint the problem?
Thanks,
andy T
Old 11-16-2010, 01:52 PM

C32 AMG
Are you saying that youre cruising at around 35mph, and when you FLOOR IT, it takes about a second before the car actually pulls? Are you sure its not the car downshifting because thats what it sounds like. For example, when im driving at around 35-40mph in like 2500rpms and i suddenly give it 3/4 WOT, the cars transmission will downshift before the car actually goes. Put the car in the manual shift mode, and see if it still does it.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:13 PM

Silver 02 C32 & White 05 CLK500
Originally Posted by andy T
I did notice that acceleration hesitation mostly happens when the 2002 C32 is in the third or fourth gear (30 to 40 mph). Does this make it easier to pinpoint the problem?
Thanks,
andy T
I thought that sluggish acceleration was normal for a C32. My car has its days when it is extremely sluggish and when you have to basically floor it to get any kind of response from it. Some days its ok. I also have the CM30 johnson ic pump and NGK IX iridium plugs as well as k&N's. I assume the only solution for the sluggish acceleration is to get a sprintbooster.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:00 PM

c32 amg
You got it!
At around 2500 RPM when I push the pedal 3/4 of the way down I don't see RPM jump to 5000 to 6000 but staggers for a second around 3000 to 3500 before moving quickly to the 5000+ range. Now if the car is stopped or at low RPM 1500 or lower and pedal 3/4 of the way down, it moves to 5000+ RPM right away (pulls hard and you feel your neck get pushed back hard). You don't feel this pull at 2500 or higher RPM and it hesitates before getting to higher RPM. What is the cause? Thank you,
Andy T
Old 11-18-2010, 09:26 PM

You got it!
At around 2500 RPM when I push the pedal 3/4 of the way down I don't see RPM jump to 5000 to 6000 but staggers for a second around 3000 to 3500 before moving quickly to the 5000+ range. Now if the car is stopped or at low RPM 1500 or lower and pedal 3/4 of the way down, it moves to 5000+ RPM right away (pulls hard and you feel your neck get pushed back hard). You don't feel this pull at 2500 or higher RPM and it hesitates before getting to higher RPM. What is the cause? Thank you,
Andy T
I have been having the same problem for a while Andy, and I cannot figure it out. The way it feels as if the transmission gets confused when you push the throttle and it does not know whether to downshift or just to stay in the same gear. One of the things I can think of is that the alternator is on its way out and the battery struggles and therefore it affects the transmission electronically, or the TCU is bad. My tranny is few years old(glycol contamination killed the old one) and I just checked the fluid in it and it is fine and at level. I also have a new TCU in the car which was re-flashed, and the problem is still there.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:04 AM

c32 amg
Thanks alkrstev for your reply.
What makes you think it is not a pulley or supercharger issue but the transmission or alternator/battery? I did replace two of the pulleys and for a while there was no issue whatsoever. When do you know it is time to replace the supercharger clutch or tune it up?
I am baffled. any thoughts?
Old 11-22-2010, 03:39 AM

Thanks alkrstev for your reply.
What makes you think it is not a pulley or supercharger issue but the transmission or alternator/battery? I did replace two of the pulleys and for a while there was no issue whatsoever. When do you know it is time to replace the supercharger clutch or tune it up?
I am baffled. any thoughts?
To tell you the truth, I have no idea what is going on with the car. I am currently trying to fix an issue with the car making weird buzzing noises at 40 mph. I am replacing all the brake pads and the front rotors and doing an alignment and balancing all the tires. To answer your question, it could be a pulley or a sc clutch causing the hesitation, but it is hard to determine.... I will let you know what happens after I replace my brakes. BTW, my sc clutch is ONLY around 20k old so it is very unlikely that is the issue and I just replaced by ilder pulley.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:27 AM

C32, 911 SC
This issue might be related, but do any of you guys experience the SC not engaging when you accelerate after shifting from Reverse to Drive?

Detail:
This is the first time it had ever happened. I was making a U-turn and had to back up because the lane was not wide enough. I put it back into Drive and pressed the pedal somewhat aggressively without engaging the kickdown switch. The car did not hesitate, but just accelerated like my old C280 I couldn't hear the usual SC whine either.

I think the IC pump was replaced at around 55K miles, the car has 85K now. Is there a way to check whether the pump is working properly or not?

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-22-2010, 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 c32 AMG 2012 c250 Coupe
Originally Posted by ddtham
This issue might be related, but do any of you guys experience the SC not engaging when you accelerate after shifting from Reverse to Drive?

Detail:
This is the first time it had ever happened. I was making a U-turn and had to back up because the lane was not wide enough. I put it back into Drive and pressed the pedal somewhat aggressively without engaging the kickdown switch. The car did not hesitate, but just accelerated like my old C280 I couldn't hear the usual SC whine either.

I think the IC pump was replaced at around 55K miles, the car has 85K now. Is there a way to check whether the pump is working properly or not?

Thanks in advance!
The pump stays on for a few seconds when you turn off the car, you will be able to hear it if you get close to it (behind right side fog light). Or you can check it with a 12v source.. You will notice when it turns on
Old 11-22-2010, 05:36 PM

ML
My C32 is very similar. Could be just the way it is. around 40 or so it'll bog down.. so i'll give it gas and it'll downshift and the supercharger will engage. Also.. i've noticed. If i leave it in 2nd.. and start getting on it, it will hesitate a bit before going WOT. I have new plugs, radiator, waterpump, battery, and PSK. Relatively new Johnson pump. I've also felt the past few days it doesn't feel as quick and the whine isn't as loud. Who knows.