C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

C32/C55 front rotors floating type? Need opinions on rotor replacement

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C32 AMG
C32/C55 front rotors floating type? Need opinions on rotor replacement

Hey guys, just replacing my brakes. I got EBC redstuff front and rear and I'm looking at rotor replacements now as well. My 2 choices are basically Zimmerman cross drilled which aren't listed as floating or Centric solid disc which are listed as "floating". I don't know about you guys, but I've warped cross-drilled rotors on the track in the past. Then again, I've never had a set of 4-piston calipers before. Anyways, anybody know if the Zimmermans are floating or not? Are OEM rotors floating? Any opinions on which rotor I should go with? I'm an occasional tracker. I kind of regret getting the redstuff pads now, I should have opted for the Yellowstuff. I actually cooked the redstuff on a low speed track here when I was in my SAAB. Centric is slightly cheaper, and I hate the way cross-drilled rotors wear.

For anyone who doesn't know, floating rotors are basically 2 peice rotors that are riveted together to allow movement between the 2 peices (braking surface and hub peice) to prevent warpage under extreme braking and heat conditions. Originally designed for motor bikes because of the thin rotor design prone to warpage.

Thanks,

Bryan

Last edited by Autotechnica; 12-03-2010 at 10:12 AM.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:03 AM

1992 Toyota Corolla, 1994 Chevy C1500, 2002 C32, 2012 Prius, 2013 Toyota Sienna
The only front direct replacement, floating rotors that I know of are made by Racing Brake. They are plug and play. I have them installed but have an annoying shake when the brakes are applied. I think its because I am using EBC Redstuff ceramics and not semi metallic pads, which is what they recommend... Hope this helps....
Old 12-03-2010, 05:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0 LS2 - Blue
I think its because I am using EBC Redstuff ceramics and not semi metallic pads
I had a horrible experience with EBC redstuff pads and their cross drilled/slotted rotors on my old 2002 Spoirtcoupe. Long story short all four rotors had to be machined, and all 8 pads replaced with a different manufacturer. EBC would not take responsibility for anything. Everything was professionally installed. Bad vibration after 2000-3000 miles.
Old 12-03-2010, 05:45 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
I also had a bad experience with the red stuff. I get an extraordinary amount of squeaking. I'm changing to Akebono. They have always worked well for me.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:44 PM

And you were running RB rotors? What pads did you switch to?

Originally Posted by gt4awd
I had a horrible experience with EBC redstuff pads and their cross drilled/slotted rotors on my old 2002 Spoirtcoupe. Long story short all four rotors had to be machined, and all 8 pads replaced with a different manufacturer. EBC would not take responsibility for anything. Everything was professionally installed. Bad vibration after 2000-3000 miles.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
Only rotors that are available as a drop in replacement for the factory front brakes are the ones from Racing Brake. I tried to start a GB for them for this winter but the thread was not allowed here on MBW, and there was zero replies on BW. There is no rear 2 piece rotor available. I'm just gonna go with stock rotors and akebonos for the front and rear.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0 LS2 - Blue
The shop put posi-quiet pads on which I've learned are junk as well. Sportcoupe was totaled a few days later...
Old 12-03-2010, 10:46 PM

'05 C55 AMG
I just did my brake job. Used Zimmerman front rotors and Akebono pads all around. The Zimmerman rotors have already got rust on the hubs and I've only had them on for about 2 months. For that reason, I'd go with OEM since I never had that issue on my last rotors that were years old. The Akebono pads give a much different feeling than OEM. May be good or bad depending on your tastes. They take a lot much more to heat up and give optimal braking on the street. They don't bite right away like OEM. Also, they squeak just a tiny bit when you first start driving. The pad material must be softer than OEM because the brake feel is much mushier now. They definitely stop when you get on them but the feel is not there. The one great thing about them is that there is virtually no dust, but I guess that's the tradeoff.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:14 AM

2002 C32 AMG
Hmmm.. I've had EBC GD rotors and redstuff pads on my SAAB for about a year. Tracked 3 times and never had any issues. I thought they were great!

BTW, rust has nothing to do with quality of rotors. For an extra cost you can get any rotor Cadmium plated and that will prevent the hub from rusting. Without this coating, ALL rotors will rust. Keep in mind that a lot of times the rust is actually comming from the brake dust and not the rotors.

Anyways, maybe MB has issues with EBC parts? I'm going to put the EBC fronts on with my stock rotors for now and see how it goes. If they're ok, my next set of rotors will probably be zimmermans.

thanks guys.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:55 PM

C32 AMG
Hi mdncn2762,

what Rotors do you use?
Old 12-06-2010, 02:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 AMG, 135i, 911 GT3, GLE43 AMG
Originally Posted by Autotechnica
..........I don't know about you guys, but I've warped cross-drilled rotors on the track in the past. Then again, I've never had a set of 4-piston calipers before....
I think it's pretty hard to really "warp" the stock rotors, even on the track. In my experience, brake judder can certainly occur after a track day, where some uneven brake pad deposits are seared onto the front rotor. I then get a "vibration" or "noise" coming from the front brakes for a few weeks. But after a while, the problem goes away, as the normal wear simply scrapes away the uneven brake pad deposits on the rotors.

I think the rotors are the last thing I would replace. First on the list would be a change to higher temperature brake fluid, better brake pads for higher temperatures, and probably stainless steel brake lines. The stock 4 piston setup and rotors are pretty damn good, in my opinion.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:31 PM

I am using RB in front with Goodridge lines and Redstuff pads. From day 1 Ive had an annoying vibration when I apply the brakes. I am swithing to semi-mettalic pads now.

URL below.

http://www.racingbrake.com/C32_AMG_F...p/2118-351.htm

Originally Posted by Phil_W
Hi mdncn2762,

what Rotors do you use?
Attached Images  
Old 12-06-2010, 08:28 PM

2006 C55 AMG
Stock C55 Front Rotors

Do you know where i can get the OEM Rotors?

Originally Posted by PC Valkyrie
I think it's pretty hard to really "warp" the stock rotors, even on the track. In my experience, brake judder can certainly occur after a track day, where some uneven brake pad deposits are seared onto the front rotor. I then get a "vibration" or "noise" coming from the front brakes for a few weeks. But after a while, the problem goes away, as the normal wear simply scrapes away the uneven brake pad deposits on the rotors.

I think the rotors are the last thing I would replace. First on the list would be a change to higher temperature brake fluid, better brake pads for higher temperatures, and probably stainless steel brake lines. The stock 4 piston setup and rotors are pretty damn good, in my opinion.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:43 PM

2002 C32 AMG

I wasn't referring to the stock C32 rotors. I've warped my Volvo 850 cross drilled rotors which were S60R rotors at the time and my SAAB 93's cross drilled rotors as well. I haven't really taken the C32 on the track yet. Put it this way, at my last track event with the Volvo, my rotors were glowing. I've had HAWK blue pads, Motul fluid and goodridge lines on all my cars. Just looking for a good brake setup for my Merc right now. Rotors I've used in the past were EBC GD's, KVR's, Brembo and Zimmerman. My instructors always say that I'm very agressive with braking. I always brake very late and very hard. My Volvo also has no ABS as you can tell from my video here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltfOjsyehAg

Last edited by Autotechnica; 12-07-2010 at 06:45 PM.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by vvcobravv
Do you know where i can get the OEM Rotors?
I think discount sites like this one are possible:

http://www.mymercedesparts.com/
Old 12-07-2010, 10:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I wasn't referring to the stock C32 rotors. I've warped my Volvo 850 cross drilled rotors which were S60R rotors at the time and my SAAB 93's cross drilled rotors as well. I haven't really taken the C32 on the track yet. Put it this way, at my last track event with the Volvo, my rotors were glowing. I've had HAWK blue pads, Motul fluid and goodridge lines on all my cars. Just looking for a good brake setup for my Merc right now. Rotors I've used in the past were EBC GD's, KVR's, Brembo and Zimmerman. My instructors always say that I'm very agressive with braking. I always brake very late and very hard. My Volvo also has no ABS as you can tell from my video here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltfOjsyehAg

Wow......if my eyes are not deceiving me, both your right front and rear wheels were locked up as you made that left hand turn........how in the world did you steer around that corner with the wheels locked up like that?? And why were you on the brakes for so long during the turn?? And when wheels do lock up during a turn, it's usually the inside tires, not outside tires.....

Anyways, my point about the brakes is that I think you should give your stock rotors a try before going all out and replacing them. You may be pleasantly surprised how well they can do, especially if you upgrade the pads, brake fluid and brake lines. However, you probably are much harder on the brakes than I am, so maybe you do need a bigger brake kit than stock.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:45 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
+1 with PC

unless it is really the time to replace your rotors just replace the pads with better ones for now.

Racing Brake rotors if you are into making your car having less unsprung weight. as they are the only choice without you shelling out for the Brembos or Stoptech etc.

I'm currently using Hawk ceramic on my brembos. should've just bought the hawk hps instead. the ceramic overheat too fast when i'm coming down the 15min down hill runs.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:01 PM

2002 C32 AMG
My rotors are starting to get worn, so it's not an upgrade, just a replacement. The only reason I'm considering other rotor replacement options over OEM is because of price. Aftermarket brakes are always cheaper than OEM stuff and most of the time better. However, I'm sure AMG stuff is top notch, but I'm sure similar performing rotors can be had for much less.

PC, I had no idea what was going on with my Volvo in that corner. It was a lapping day from years ago. It was also the first time I had disabled my ABS/TRACS. Dunnville isn't even open anymore due to too many residents complaining about the noise. I just remember how disappionted I was in the handling of the car. I had my KW's set too stiff in the front and the car would constantly plow. The car was a mess. I'm sure high powered FWD cars are more suited towards tracks like Mosport and not Shannonville/Dunnville.

BTW are you from Ontario?

Frank, will do. It's just nice to know what options I have when it comes time to replace the rotors. I go through them quite quickly.

Last edited by Autotechnica; 12-08-2010 at 08:09 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

........PC, I had no idea what was going on with my Volvo in that corner. It was a lapping day from years ago. It was also the first time I had disabled my ABS/TRACS. Dunnville isn't even open anymore due to too many residents complaining about the noise. I just remember how disappionted I was in the handling of the car. I had my KW's set too stiff in the front and the car would constantly plow. The car was a mess. I'm sure high powered FWD cars are more suited towards tracks like Mosport and not Shannonville/Dunnville.

BTW are you from Ontario?........
hehe.....I've wondered how "high powered FWD" cars would feel like on a track...... Anyways, I'm sure you'll enjoy a "high powered RWD" car like the C32......most poeple think it is the better drive train layout for "driving" enthusiastically.

And I'm pretty sure we're in the same general part of Ontario.....
Old 12-09-2010, 04:38 AM

C32 AMG
My rotors are starting to get worn, so it's not an upgrade, just a replacement. The only reason I'm considering other rotor replacement options over OEM is because of price. Aftermarket brakes are always cheaper than OEM stuff and most of the time better. However, I'm sure AMG stuff is top notch, but I'm sure similar performing rotors can be had for much less.

Whats the price for oem rotors in your country? here in germany they are very cheap.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:28 PM

2002 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Phil_W
Whats the price for oem rotors in your country? here in germany they are very cheap.

Since everything is bought online these days, I doubt the price will differ by much. I would say they are around $100/CDN each for aftermarket, which is the same in USD now.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:30 PM

2002 C32 AMG
hehe.....I've wondered how "high powered FWD" cars would feel like on a track...... Anyways, I'm sure you'll enjoy a "high powered RWD" car like the C32......most poeple think it is the better drive train layout for "driving" enthusiastically.

And I'm pretty sure we're in the same general part of Ontario.....
Nice, I've met another fellow C32 owner here in Richmond Hill who also tracks at Mosport. Do you ever attend BMWCC auto-x?
Old 12-09-2010, 10:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nice, I've met another fellow C32 owner here in Richmond Hill who also tracks at Mosport. Do you ever attend BMWCC auto-x?
When I go to Mosport, I often go with North44C63 (member here on mbworld), who has a C63 AMG. It would be nice and interesting to go to Mosport next year with a C32 in the mix as well!!

Although I have tracked many times, I have never tried autocross.......
Old 06-28-2011, 08:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'08 CLK320CDI AMG// '13 E500 Coupe AMG// '17 E350d AMG
Originally Posted by mdncn2762
I am using RB in front with Goodridge lines and Redstuff pads. From day 1 Ive had an annoying vibration when I apply the brakes. I am swithing to semi-mettalic pads now.

URL below.

http://www.racingbrake.com/C32_AMG_F...p/2118-351.htm
Hi,

Since you are from Europe, where did you get them and for what price?

Thanks

PS: Galfer also made floating rotors for many car models, but now, because of production changes and economic dificulties, they stop doing the floating rotors for many cars, before that they had for almost every European car, and also plug & play.

http://www.galfer.es/ANG/p_auto_dfx.html

Last edited by gaiex; 06-28-2011 at 09:00 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:52 PM

2002 C32 AMG
Wow this thread is old.

Might as well give the run down on my setup. I've been using EBC red's on my old oem rotors. They seem to be holding up. I've had no problems with EBC reds making noise or vibrating. However, they aren't good enough for me during my lapping days. After 2 laps, 3 laps max @ shannonville pro track I get brake fade and really smelly brakes. I never pushed it till they overheated. I always pitted when I started to sense some fade. I wish HAWK had HP+ for our cars. I've never experienced fade on those pads in any of my other cars. Any other pad suggestions for track use? I'm not sure I want to try EBC yellows, I'd like to try a different brand, porterfield RS4's maybe?

thanks,

Bry