C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

OEM Bluetooth Installation Complete

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 03:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clk350 2006
Thanks. I managed to get out the fiber cable Sound from slot 2 from the most connector.
I just plugged sound 1 in it's place (NOT sound 2). Then came the hardest part of the story. the TEL OUT into CDC IN. It's in the transmission tunnel area. Just pull gently the carpet on the passenger side from the left foot side toward the right. you will see bunch of cables including the orange fiber cables. I found that the CDC IN was plugged with SOUND. I had to unplug it and find the TEL OUT. It was almost impossible to find it. I could not see it. I thought I had to disassemble the whole center console. then i tried with a long screw driver to move the cables slightly and you will see it. It's there. it's hard to catch it but it's possible. I managed with a hook.

To summarize, installing BT on CLK350 2006 with NAVI, HK SOUND, NO SATELLITE
with originally no contact plate in the arm rest.

You need:
- the contact plate
- the BT puck
- The phone MHI
- the MHI brackets
- 7.5 fuse in slot 16 and a 5 fuse in slot 13. in the fusebox left side inside the trunk

If you plan to use only BT and no phone with cradle and antenna stuffs. you dont need the linear compensator, you dont need the antenna switch.

I installed the contact plate in the arm rest and the puck.
I installed the fuses in the fusebox inside the trunk.
I remove sound from slot 2 from most connector that was connected to the sound system (or amplifier not sure what that was exactly)
Plugged sound 1 in it's place and plugged back the connector to the sound system.
I plugged tel out to cdc in in the transmission tunnel near the passenger seat
I plugged mic array out with mic in tel
and mic out tel with mic in tele aid

that was it.

You must know that with this install
- phone with cradle wont work
- tele aid wont work

My nexus one got connected without problem and downloaded the phonebook
Made test call sound was crystal clear. my wife picked the call and could not notice that I was on BT. All good....

hope this is usefull
Old 02-07-2011, 03:33 AM

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
'19 AMG E53 Cpe, '23 EQS 580 SUV, '89 560SL, '35 Ford 5w coupe, '53 MGTD and others
I'm curious as to why your Tele Aid doesn't work. My mBrace (Tele Aid) works fine.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:02 PM

Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts
Multiple
Folks,

I just completed the install today and everything works. Thanks to everyone who helped out. Here are my observations:
  • I found that identifying the various leads/cables was the hardest part. They are all over the place.
  • Similar to threadstarter, I couldn't find Tel1 so I skipped it (swapping tel with tel1)
  • Similar to threadstarter, I didn't touch the transmission tunnel area. I tried, but couldn't even get enough carpeting out to find the connections mentioned. I have Nav, Logic7 and Sat radio, so not sure if that made it easy or not.
  • I totally skipped over the "Section H - modifying the power connector" bit because the instructions were too intense. Curious what this was for?
  • It was tight quarters in the right well of my trunk with the 4 modules stacked up next to one another. The black unit where the SDARS and Sound controllers plug into was originally facing downwards and during reassembly, I flipped it for easier access in the future.
  • My BES blocks address book transfer from my blackberry so unfortunately, I can't get the contacts transferred over, but I did notice that the raw numbers still show up on the nav screen when I get an incoming call.

Overall, the instructions were good, not great. They glossed over quite a few things, but I guess they are written for experienced techs. After skipping two steps, I was expecting to have to do some serious troubleshooting, but to my pleasant surprise, it all worked right away.

I need to test and tune the sensitivity of the microphone in the coming days with mrobinso's tips.

Thanks again.

Last edited by xxaarraa; 02-12-2011 at 07:13 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:08 AM

Multiple
dear OEM Bluetooth Brigade,

I have question for you. How does one turn up the volume of the phone system? When someone's talking, I have tried turning up the dial all the way, but feel like it's still not loud enough.

Thanks much
Old 02-16-2011, 01:24 PM

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
2015 Chevy Suburban, 2017 GLS450 4MATIC, 1993 Chevy Corvette
Originally Posted by xxaarraa
dear OEM Bluetooth Brigade,

I have question for you. How does one turn up the volume of the phone system? When someone's talking, I have tried turning up the dial all the way, but feel like it's still not loud enough.

Thanks much
Xxaarraa, I would try to fiddle with this function (quoted below from a separate thread):

"Yes it is possible to adjust the fixed volume levels by using the key sequences below. 0000#1* SEND- reduces the volume out of the car by one step (non car side or landline) 0000#10 SEND- standard volume level 0000#1# SEND- raises the volume out of the car by one step (non car side or landline) 0000#99 SEND- factory reset The settings made / adjusted by that procedure will be peramanently stored in the cradle adaptor for each phone type specifficly. Changes made while e.g a Motorola V3 Razr is connected will adjust for ALL Motorola V3 Razr phones."

Now I think this only fixes the mic attenuation, meaning that it raises and lowers the in-car mic sensitivity. However, I would fiddle with this (perhaps using the reset command as referenced above) to see if it fixes your problem. I used these commands to fix the problem I was having with callers not being able to hear me, but perhaps it could have some effect on raising the volume on your speakers. Also, have you simply tried turning up your volume on your phone while you are connected to bluetooth? I know that on my Blackberry Curve I can adjust the volume output from my phone using the rocker buttons on the right side of the phone to increase sound output from my car speakers.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 C230K, 2016 Honda CR-V, '74 Lotus Europa
I'm a rank NOOB about this so if someone can answer a few questions about this I would really appreciate it:

Will the parts work on a 2005 C230K? Can I assume that it is prewired? If not, how do I tell? If it is not prewired, should I just give up? The prices of the parts are pretty much at the top end of what I'm willing to pay for this.

I found all the parts (I assume I need all three of them). Are those all the parts I would need?

Can you give me an idea of how difficult it is - is electronics knowledge needed or can a DIYer do it (I'm ok with mechanical things but if it involves wires and is not obvious or spelled out step by step...).

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-24-2011, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by ncmudbug
I'm a rank NOOB about this so if someone can answer a few questions about this I would really appreciate it:

Will the parts work on a 2005 C230K? Can I assume that it is prewired? If not, how do I tell? If it is not prewired, should I just give up? The prices of the parts are pretty much at the top end of what I'm willing to pay for this.

I found all the parts (I assume I need all three of them). Are those all the parts I would need?

Can you give me an idea of how difficult it is - is electronics knowledge needed or can a DIYer do it (I'm ok with mechanical things but if it involves wires and is not obvious or spelled out step by step...).

Thanks in advance!
Most of your questions can be answered by reading this entire thread and doing a forum search. Your car may be pre-wired. Open the cd holder in the middle of the driver and passenger seat and see if there are wires running from the upper portion of the arm rest down the back of the cd holder. If yes, you are pre-wired. Directions for the install can be found at the link in Post #1 of this thread.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

There was no mention of C230s in this thread. Can I assume that what applies to the C55 applies to my C230?
Old 02-25-2011, 09:15 AM

There was no mention of C230s in this thread. Can I assume that what applies to the C55 applies to my C230?
Because you have a 2005 you can assume the electronics will be similar to other w203 2005 models, including the 2005 C55. Did you check your cd holder/arm rest for the wiring?
Old 02-25-2011, 09:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks, mrobinso. I think there's a cable in the console (my wife has a 2006 C230 so I might have seen it in her car). I'll look this weekend.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:43 AM

Multiple
The instructions PDF is for all C-class sedans/coupes, not specific to models. Safe bet your electronics are same as 55 electronics.
Old 02-26-2011, 05:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2021 GLE450
Quick question. How to unplug n plug the orange fibre optic into the connector, the ones without blue thingy? Just by pulling n pushing? I am in the midst of installing n did not want to damage the cables. Thanks
Old 02-27-2011, 10:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2021 GLE450
I figured it out. Was over cautious but decided to fiddled with it more. I posted my experience in the Audio and Electronics section as mine was a 2007 C230. Experience is similar to xxaarraa.
Old 03-06-2011, 03:42 PM

2005 C230 Sport kompressor
Post Trying to finish Bluetooth MHI installation. Need Help

Originally Posted by mrobinso
I completed the install tonight! Whew! So relieved.

deeoh, do you have satellite radio and sound system, or something else? I have no satellite radio but I do have the sound system.

Interestingly, I needed to replace Slot 1 of the SOUND component with SOUND1, not Slot 2 as prescribed in the directions. Also, I did access the Transmission Tunnel (which was extremely easy) by simply pulling back the carpeting to the left of passenger side foot well. All I did was following the directions explicitly. In the transmission tunnel you need to find the little black rectangle fiber connector, make sure the connectors into the black rectangle are TEL OUT > HU/CDC IN, and you should be good to go!

Feel free to PM me if you need assistance.
So my car is a 2005 C230 Sport with Harmon and Kardon 6disc CD changer?Nav/No Sat Radio.
-I have connected the mic as described in the guide.
-At first at the sound component in the trunk, I replaced Slot 2 and plugged in Sound 1 in it.
-In the transmission tunnel area i disconnected Sound1 fiber optic from HU/CDC IN and connected TEL OUT to it.

I then started my car and there was no sound. I then went into the Audio menu and my multi-CD changer option was gone ( Just CD/Radio displayed).

So I went back to the Sound component in the trunk and I replaced Slot 1 of the SOUND component with SOUND1,as recommended by some members here. Started car and still no sound(radio/CD)

Went back to Transmission area and disconnected TEL OUt from HU/CDC IN and reconnected the default sound fiber optic and got Radio/CD sound back.

So it seems as if every time i connect TEL OUt to CDC/HU , my sound goes away. any suggestions please.

I haven't gotten the blue tooth puck yet. getting it tomorrow ( does it make a difference if i in regards to sound)

P.S car does not have Sat RAdio but has HK sound system/NAV command
Old 03-06-2011, 05:22 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
05 CL65 AMG, 07 Ferrari F430, 03 Range Rover HSE
Hey guys, I congratulate you for doing these installs, and I thought about not participating in this thread, but there is a MUCH easier way to get factory bluetooth, wider compatibilty and several more features if you just install an iTronic BT. In most cases it will be less expensive too. Installation takes about 20-30 minutes. Check our site for details. We have about 12,000 installed with no problems. Approximate half of the US dealers install this system in favor of the original parts too.
Just an FYI. Of course we manufacture the system, and are sponsors, so this post is somewhat self serving, but we like people to have an easy and fulfilling experience with their Benz. So there are two ways to get it done.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:19 PM

Multiple
Originally Posted by Cartronics
Hey guys, I congratulate you for doing these installs, and I thought about not participating in this thread, but there is a MUCH easier way to get factory bluetooth, wider compatibilty and several more features if you just install an iTronic BT. In most cases it will be less expensive too. Installation takes about 20-30 minutes. Check our site for details. We have about 12,000 installed with no problems. Approximate half of the US dealers install this system in favor of the original parts too.
Just an FYI. Of course we manufacture the system, and are sponsors, so this post is somewhat self serving, but we like people to have an easy and fulfilling experience with their Benz. So there are two ways to get it done.
Could you please clarify on how exactly the iTronics module works? Why does it not need the various controllers as the OEM?

Also, your price is $799, which is TWICE the price of the OEM components listed in this thread. Just to clarify, it is not less expensive than OEM.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:50 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

The original system was designed around an actual phone in a cradle, then switched up when MB got caught with the pants down when the industry went GSM and bluetooth. The iTronic BT is an all in one unit, that contains all the phone electronics, bluetooth unit, and even optional iPod control, all in one small box that can be plugged in anywhere on the fiber network. It is software upgradable (by the owner) for future phone compatibility and new features. We have do it yourself videos on our site that generally show the unit being plugged in where the CD changer is, and then placed in the hidden void above the passengers feet. Some classes, like the S, and CL that have the changer in the trunk, involve plugging it in behind the COMAND instead. Either way, it is very simple to do with our videos.

In fairness the OEM parts in this thread are all used, which are not always available, and also have far less functionality and compatibility (and are not software upgradable whenever the iPhone and Androids change the way they function - this by itself has been the bane of most of the MB dealerships we service) - New COST of the MB components is about $1100 and regular retail is around $1800. So at $799, it is l than half the price of the parts if purchased from your local dealership. AND you get FAR greater functionality, the sound quality is FAR superior (we have replaced many a factory system for just this alone).

Again, we are not trying to diminish the effort of those that have done it the OEM way, but we have an alternative that many of the nations MB dealerships install INSTEAD of the OEM because it simply works better.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:15 PM

The original system was designed around an actual phone in a cradle, then switched up when MB got caught with the pants down when the industry went GSM and bluetooth. The iTronic BT is an all in one unit, that contains all the phone electronics, bluetooth unit, and even optional iPod control, all in one small box that can be plugged in anywhere on the fiber network. It is software upgradable (by the owner) for future phone compatibility and new features. We have do it yourself videos on our site that generally show the unit being plugged in where the CD changer is, and then placed in the hidden void above the passengers feet. Some classes, like the S, and CL that have the changer in the trunk, involve plugging it in behind the COMAND instead. Either way, it is very simple to do with our videos.

In fairness the OEM parts in this thread are all used, which are not always available, and also have far less functionality and compatibility (and are not software upgradable whenever the iPhone and Androids change the way they function - this by itself has been the bane of most of the MB dealerships we service) - New COST of the MB components is about $1100 and regular retail is around $1800. So at $799, it is l than half the price of the parts if purchased from your local dealership. AND you get FAR greater functionality, the sound quality is FAR superior (we have replaced many a factory system for just this alone).

Again, we are not trying to diminish the effort of those that have done it the OEM way, but we have an alternative that many of the nations MB dealerships install INSTEAD of the OEM because it simply works better.

I appreciate the itronic suggestion but not practical for me to spend $799 on bluetooth. My came came with ipod Aux and bought the MHI core kit from MB dealer for $110 ( i have previously bought the contact plate connector that goes in the armrest compartment from ebay for $50 so did not need to get the bluetooth completer kit)
So far i have only spent $160, all i need next to get is the blue tooth puck or the Viseeo MB-2 puck (still contemplating which to buy) Either puck will be roughly around $300 making my total+ $460, that is half the Catronics price.

I just need some assistance with the MOST connecting set-up. I have reconnected Sound-Out to the CDC/HU in the transmission area and also reconnected the Sound fiber optic wire back to the sound component in the trunk.

My sound came back on and the multi-CD changer option displayed on the command LCD.

Any suggestions on how to proceed from here will be deeply appreciated.
Thanks
Old 03-06-2011, 07:22 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

We do have the Viseeo MB2 and are the only authorized North American importer of the device. We would be happy to help you with it...

The problem is you are not keeping the loop complete, and will have to sort where you are loosing the light in loop. THe labeling on the cables is not always sufficient to understand where the loop is broken. Can you go to either of the bundles in the trunk or tunnel and see red light coming from any particular cable when you DON'T have sound? Also, if any of the devices is not powered (MHI missing the system fuse?) this will also create this problem.

Feel free to call during our regular hours when you are with the car, and a tech may be able to help you!
Old 03-06-2011, 07:35 PM

We do have the Viseeo MB2 and are the only authorized North American importer of the device. We would be happy to help you with it...

The problem is you are not keeping the loop complete, and will have to sort where you are loosing the light in loop. THe labeling on the cables is not always sufficient to understand where the loop is broken. Can you go to either of the bundles in the trunk or tunnel and see red light coming from any particular cable when you DON'T have sound? Also, if any of the devices is not powered (MHI missing the system fuse?) this will also create this problem.

Feel free to call during our regular hours when you are with the car, and a tech may be able to help you!
I think that might be the problem, not keeping the loop complete. I really did not have a problem finding all the labels ( SDARS1, TEL1,SOUND1 etc)
When you talk about the red light in the trunk coming from a cable, do have need to have car running. I have been doing all this without the car on and only turn it on to check if there is sound. I did place all the respective fuses in their slots (7.5 in slot 16 and 5 fuse in slot 13) The MHI kit is connected to its power supply and the phone control module has TEL 1 connected to MHI core. I do have the linear compensator module but not using it. I will definitely call 2morrow and get some answers about your viseeo MB-2 and see if someone can walk me through.
Thanks a lot mate
Old 03-06-2011, 07:44 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

You only need the sound system on, not car started. If you find the cable with red light coming form the end when you DONT have sound, you have found the misfit cable that needs to be joined with another to complete the loop. The MHI core unit is the only one that we are concerned with.
We may also be able to find the retrofit docs in our Mercedes WIS that we can email you to help. If you call, send us an email with your VIN so we can look those up before you actually call.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:34 PM

You only need the sound system on, not car started. If you find the cable with red light coming form the end when you DONT have sound, you have found the misfit cable that needs to be joined with another to complete the loop. The MHI core unit is the only one that we are concerned with.
We may also be able to find the retrofit docs in our Mercedes WIS that we can email you to help. If you call, send us an email with your VIN so we can look those up before you actually call.
Will call tomrrow then. thanks alot
Old 03-08-2011, 10:21 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

I am happy to report that we got this clients (manawa2) system running. Although none of the items came from us, we worked with him to get it going anyhow. (hopefully he will now purchase the Viseeo from us )
However, I still have to maintain, I personally worked with manawa2, just to see what trials and tribulations a typical car owner may have to go through to get an OEM system installed. I personally worked with him for nearly 2 hours over 2 days, and he had to go get a small part just to get it all going. I know he has many more hours invested in it, and it will work fine for him when it is done. So I still stand by my original thought, although self serving too... our iTronic system would have been installed in about 20 - 30 minutes, everything included in the box, had much wider compatibility, many more features, and so the price tag looks pretty good.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:12 AM

Wink

I am happy to report that we got this clients (manawa2) system running. Although none of the items came from us, we worked with him to get it going anyhow. (hopefully he will now purchase the Viseeo from us )
However, I still have to maintain, I personally worked with manawa2, just to see what trials and tribulations a typical car owner may have to go through to get an OEM system installed. I personally worked with him for nearly 2 hours over 2 days, and he had to go get a small part just to get it all going. I know he has many more hours invested in it, and it will work fine for him when it is done. So I still stand by my original thought, although self serving too... our iTronic system would have been installed in about 20 - 30 minutes, everything included in the box, had much wider compatibility, many more features, and so the price tag looks pretty good.

I deeply will like to give props to Catronics for the phenomenal assistance in helping me complete my bluetooth installation today. As he mentions above it was a long tudious struggle for me and really amire and appreciate the patience he had. He went out of his way to help me on the phone and want to say thanks man. Now all i have to do is go to my friends place and test it out with his bluetooth puck before making my purchase.

Encore une fois merci pour l'aide
Old 04-28-2011, 04:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
'06 C55, '14 Audi S4, '09 Range Rover Sport, '07 Lexus ES350,
mObridge Bluetooth

Just thought I would add one other option here. Two weeks ago I had a mObridge Bluetooth Telephone interface device installed in my C55 (M1000-M-BT-MBZ1). Total cost was $750 "installed". Had it done by a local car audio shop in Edison (NJ). Very pleased with the device. It works perfectly - crystal clear and totally integrated with the factory Command radio and screen. It's a bit more expensive than the DIY solution that others are doing. However, it is state of the art technology. Just thought I would throw it out there as another option for folks to consider.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: OEM Bluetooth Installation Complete