C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

OEM Bluetooth Installation Complete

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 10:57 AM

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
'19 AMG E53 Cpe, '23 EQS 580 SUV, '89 560SL, '35 Ford 5w coupe, '53 MGTD and others
I don't have my marked-up instructions with me but I do know that I didn't have to do anything in the transmission tunnel. Whatever needed to be connected was already connected. I have the HK sound system and the Sat radio though so it could be different but I've read of other installs that also didn't need to touch the transmission tunnel.

As I recall the SOUND and SOUND1 were tucked in behind the HK amp in the right side of the trunk. I had to remove the amplifier to find the connector on the bottom side of the amp. The instructions glossed over that bit.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:43 PM

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
2015 Chevy Suburban, 2017 GLS450 4MATIC, 1993 Chevy Corvette
Originally Posted by lkfoster
I don't have my marked-up instructions with me but I do know that I didn't have to do anything in the transmission tunnel. Whatever needed to be connected was already connected. I have the HK sound system and the Sat radio though so it could be different but I've read of other installs that also didn't need to touch the transmission tunnel.

As I recall the SOUND and SOUND1 were tucked in behind the HK amp in the right side of the trunk. I had to remove the amplifier to find the connector on the bottom side of the amp. The instructions glossed over that bit.
Foster, thanks for the input. I had no trouble finding the SOUND1 and SOUND fibers (I did have to remove the amplifier), however, once I replaced SOUND from slot 2 of the MOST plug with SOUND 1, all I did was cut the MOST ring so that I no longer received sound from my radio. I do definitely believe the layout you had was different (in regards to your fiber cables) because you have satellite radio. You have SDARS1 and SDARS2, which I don't have. I need to find the other end of the SOUND 1 fiber, which I believe may connect in the "Transmission Tunnel", and replace the old SOUND fiber with SOUND1 at that connection in order to complete the MOST ring utilizing SOUND1, which I believe should complete the connection to the Bluetooth. My bluetooth puck is syncing to my cell phone (the new Blackberry Curve), but my radio display is still showing "No Phone". Anyone with suggestions on this would be much appreciated. I can't figure out from the pictures in the .pdf where the Transmission Tunnel is. Do you know?
Old 02-01-2011, 04:25 PM

'19 AMG E53 Cpe, '23 EQS 580 SUV, '89 560SL, '35 Ford 5w coupe, '53 MGTD and others
If I can keep all the different fibers straight I think you don't need to worry about SOUND anymore, but need to complete the loop at the transmission tunnel with TEL into CDC/HU. I didn't need to do this because I had SDAR next in the loop but you don't. Changing the SOUND fiber to SOUND1 just gets the loop into the TEL box that you just installed. I think that the SOUND that you unplugged was your old line to the CDC/HU that is now open.

Things need to follow the loop in figure 45 for everything to function properly.

Last edited by lkfoster; 02-01-2011 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Added figure 45
Old 02-01-2011, 08:57 PM

Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts
Multiple
Just ordered all 3 parts for $368 total. Hope the installation goes smoothly (I have the HK, Nav and Sat Radio), thanks for everyone who posted details.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:47 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2011 C63 P31 2015 BMW X5M Schwarz Einhorn w/Bootmod3
Originally Posted by mrobinso
Foster, thanks for the input. I had no trouble finding the SOUND1 and SOUND fibers (I did have to remove the amplifier), however, once I replaced SOUND from slot 2 of the MOST plug with SOUND 1, all I did was cut the MOST ring so that I no longer received sound from my radio. I do definitely believe the layout you had was different (in regards to your fiber cables) because you have satellite radio. You have SDARS1 and SDARS2, which I don't have. I need to find the other end of the SOUND 1 fiber, which I believe may connect in the "Transmission Tunnel", and replace the old SOUND fiber with SOUND1 at that connection in order to complete the MOST ring utilizing SOUND1, which I believe should complete the connection to the Bluetooth. My bluetooth puck is syncing to my cell phone (the new Blackberry Curve), but my radio display is still showing "No Phone". Anyone with suggestions on this would be much appreciated. I can't figure out from the pictures in the .pdf where the Transmission Tunnel is. Do you know?

mrobinso, I'm experiencing the exact same symptoms as you are. If you remove the passenger carpet, it will reveal more fiber connections along side the transmission tunnel just below the nav, just as described in the install bulletin. Following these instructions though did not result in the radio coming back on. I think maybe we need to have the nav coded with SDS. Any other ideas?
Old 02-01-2011, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by deeoh
mrobinso, I'm experiencing the exact same symptoms as you are. If you remove the passenger carpet, it will reveal more fiber connections along side the transmission tunnel just below the nav, just as described in the install bulletin. Following these instructions though did not result in the radio coming back on. I think maybe we need to have the nav coded with SDS. Any other ideas?
I completed the install tonight! Whew! So relieved.

deeoh, do you have satellite radio and sound system, or something else? I have no satellite radio but I do have the sound system.

Interestingly, I needed to replace Slot 1 of the SOUND component with SOUND1, not Slot 2 as prescribed in the directions. Also, I did access the Transmission Tunnel (which was extremely easy) by simply pulling back the carpeting to the left of passenger side foot well. All I did was following the directions explicitly. In the transmission tunnel you need to find the little black rectangle fiber connector, make sure the connectors into the black rectangle are TEL OUT > HU/CDC IN, and you should be good to go!

Feel free to PM me if you need assistance.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:51 PM

Wow, that's good to hear! It gives me hope that I can get similar results. No, I don't have the sat radio, but I do have the HK sound system. I'll give it a go tomorrow and post my results. Congrats to you man!
Old 02-02-2011, 08:59 AM

I also forgot to mention that my phone book is fully accessible through the non-COMAND radio screen, which is nice.

Deeoh, don't forget to connect the microphone array as well. The directions are in the .pdf. I forgot to do this the first time around.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:20 PM

Multiple
  • BQ6820907 - C-Class Sedan MHI Vehicle Completer Kit (OP Price Paid: $160 - Dealer) Dealer Quote: Just quoted $260 from dealer
As of 2/2/11, Primepartssuperstore and MB of Fort Lauderdale are both out of the Completer kits. My order was declined. Found it for $160 at MB of Cutler Bay whose link was above.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by xxaarraa
As of 2/2/11, Primepartssuperstore and MB of Fort Lauderdale are both out of the Completer kits. My order was declined. Found it for $160 at MB of Cutler Bay whose link was above.
xxaarraa, sorry to hear that. Strange, when I called Cutler Bay they told me they were out of the MHI kit. They must received more stock.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:55 PM

Multiple
xxaarraa, sorry to hear that. Strange, when I called Cutler Bay they told me they were out of the MHI kit. They must received more stock.
Spoke too soon. Order was rejected at Cutler Bay also. That now eliminates Fort Lauderdale, Cutler Bay and Primepartssuperstore.

Found it in stock at a dealer in CT. $177.85

But better than nothing I guess.

Last edited by xxaarraa; 02-02-2011 at 02:44 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:44 PM

Spoke too soon. Order was rejected at Cutler Bay also. That now eliminates Fort Lauderdale, Cutler Bay and Primepartssuperstore.

Anyone got any suggestions, I would appreciate it.

BQ6820907
What I ultimately ended up doing was just Googling "largest Mercedes Benz dealer parts" or something along those lines, and that is how I stumbled across Fort Lauderdale's website. I would call Fort Lauderdale directly (if you haven't already) and ask if they have any affiliate dealerships that might have the part.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:48 PM

When I called my dealer they had neither part in stock but that they could be ordered from a third party supplier and not MBUSA. Ordered them and they arrived 4 days later.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:23 PM

I also forgot to mention that my phone book is fully accessible through the non-COMAND radio screen, which is nice.

Deeoh, don't forget to connect the microphone array as well. The directions are in the .pdf. I forgot to do this the first time around.

Ok, thanks for the tip. Been working long hours this week, so it might have to wait 'till the weekend though. If I have any trouble, I'll send you a PM. I can't wait to finish this project!
Old 02-04-2011, 10:13 AM

Not to burst anyone's bubble who has yet to do the install, but to all those C55 owners who have the OEM bluetooth installed, what are your thoughts on the quality and functionality of the device?

So far I have noted the following:

1) Syncing: My phone syncs seamlessly with the bluetooth puck within seconds of entering the car. Very happy with the this aspect.

2) Sound quality from speakers: I can hear the person on the other end of the line quite well. Sometimes I need to turn up the volume a good deal to hear.

3) Receiving Calls: Works perfectly. Automatically mutes the radio/CD/or AUX Input (iPod connection) when a call is incoming. Easy to use the "Answer" button on the steering wheel or radio to accept.

4) Functionality of Steering Wheel Buttons/Information Display (screen in between speedometer and tachometer): I notice that the steering wheel buttons need to be pushed down a little harder than the volume/scroll controls. This is probably due to the fact that no one has ever used the telephone steering wheel controls previously, but is worth noting. I also noticed that the Information Display lags behind the radio screen, particularly when scrolling through contacts.

5) Microphone quality/how you sound to the person you are talking to: This is the only fault I have found with the OEM bluetooth (and it is quite a big fault). The microphone array is too sensitive for it own good! When I am sitting at a stop light, driving at low speeds, or driving on a freshly paved road, the person I am talking to has no problems hearing me at all. However, as soon as you hop on the highway, an old road with lots of bumps and potholes, or if its raining/icing, or if you have the turn signal on, the microphone picks this all up and makes it very difficult for the person on the other line to hear you. For example, I commute up and down I-66 every day, and when I am trying to speak to someone while driving on 66 (which is an older highway with lots of filled in divets and potholes) I can't hold a conversation on the bluetooth! My guess would be that when Mercedes built the car in 2006, the "ambient noise dampening" technology that is commonplace in all bluetooth phone receivers today was not employed in the microphone array.

Has anyone run into this same problem with the microphone sensitivity or even better, has anyone found a work around? Perhaps putting a small piece of foam over the microphone vent to dampen ambient noise?

Thoughts are appreciated.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:40 AM

Multiple
Not to burst anyone's bubble who has yet to do the install, but to all those C55 owners who have the OEM bluetooth installed, what are your thoughts on the quality and functionality of the device?

So far I have noted the following:

1) Syncing: My phone syncs seamlessly with the bluetooth puck within seconds of entering the car. Very happy with the this aspect.

2) Sound quality from speakers: I can hear the person on the other end of the line quite well. Sometimes I need to turn up the volume a good deal to hear.

3) Receiving Calls: Works perfectly. Automatically mutes the radio/CD/or AUX Input (iPod connection) when a call is incoming. Easy to use the "Answer" button on the steering wheel or radio to accept.

4) Functionality of Steering Wheel Buttons/Information Display (screen in between speedometer and tachometer): I notice that the steering wheel buttons need to be pushed down a little harder than the volume/scroll controls. This is probably due to the fact that no one has ever used the telephone steering wheel controls previously, but is worth noting. I also noticed that the Information Display lags behind the radio screen, particularly when scrolling through contacts.

5) Microphone quality/how you sound to the person you are talking to: This is the only fault I have found with the OEM bluetooth (and it is quite a big fault). The microphone array is too sensitive for it own good! When I am sitting at a stop light, driving at low speeds, or driving on a freshly paved road, the person I am talking to has no problems hearing me at all. However, as soon as you hop on the highway, an old road with lots of bumps and potholes, or if its raining/icing, or if you have the turn signal on, the microphone picks this all up and makes it very difficult for the person on the other line to hear you. For example, I commute up and down I-66 every day, and when I am trying to speak to someone while driving on 66 (which is an older highway with lots of filled in divets and potholes) I can't hold a conversation on the bluetooth! My guess would be that when Mercedes built the car in 2006, the "ambient noise dampening" technology that is commonplace in all bluetooth phone receivers today was not employed in the microphone array.

Has anyone run into this same problem with the microphone sensitivity or even better, has anyone found a work around? Perhaps putting a small piece of foam over the microphone vent to dampen ambient noise?

Thoughts are appreciated.

This is fantastic input. Thanks. Here are two ideas that may help:

1. In my previous car, a common mod was to relocate the microphone. Is there potential in the C55 to relocate the mic array or add a secondary mic? A lot of times, just placing the mic in a different location improves pickup even without advanced noise cancellation.

2. Replace with an updated mic from a later model year. Are there newer part numbers from the latest Mercs that may be a direct fit?
Old 02-04-2011, 12:18 PM

This is fantastic input. Thanks. Here are two ideas that may help:

1. In my previous car, a common mod was to relocate the microphone. Is there potential in the C55 to relocate the mic array or add a secondary mic? A lot of times, just placing the mic in a different location improves pickup even without advanced noise cancellation.

2. Replace with an updated mic from a later model year. Are there newer part numbers from the latest Mercs that may be a direct fit?
Both of those sound like good ideas. If Number 2 was as easy as just a switch and go with a newer model microphone (with hopefully a background noise dampening technology), I would jump on that. Number 1, rerouting the microphone, sounds like it would be a lot of work (at least more than I would be willing to do). Anyone on here know if the microphone receiver can be unplugged and replaced with a newer mic? After my experience with installing this bluetooth, I can't imagine Mercedes would have made it that easy... . The mic in all likelihood is probably hardwired to the cabling.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:49 PM

Multiple
Both of those sound like good ideas. If Number 2 was as easy as just a switch and go with a newer model microphone (with hopefully a background noise dampening technology), I would jump on that. Number 1, rerouting the microphone, sounds like it would be a lot of work (at least more than I would be willing to do). Anyone on here know if the microphone receiver can be unplugged and replaced with a newer mic? After my experience with installing this bluetooth, I can't imagine Mercedes would have made it that easy... . The mic in all likelihood is probably hardwired to the cabling.
Really surprised to find out how MB is behind the times with bluetooth. Acuras have had it pretty well for many years, so has BMW. Oh well...
Old 02-04-2011, 02:34 PM

Looks like the crappy microphone has been addressed in the past... still not finding a answer to the question regarding replacement of the mic or general improvement. Looks like there might be a way to adjust the mic's attenuation so its not so sensitive to background noise. I am going to try punching in the following code to the radio keypad 0000#1# to see if that is how to adjust the mic attenuation.

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...-question.html

Based on the below-linked thread, it doesn't even sound like Mercedes has fixed this problem with the 2009 C350. That doesn't seem promising...
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...bluetooth.html

And yet another thread (mainly from 2005-2006 e-class owners)

https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w...ng-issues.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...oth+microphone
Old 02-04-2011, 05:18 PM

Found this:

Originally Posted by BeantownFlyer
Buried in the wireless4mb.com website:

"Is is possible to adjust the fixed volume levels? Audio gain adjustments- to be used when customers complain about the volume level on the non car side being too loud or quiet. These adjustments do not have any effect on the processing of the audio."

"Yes it is possible to adjust the fixed volume levels by using the key sequences below. 0000#1* SEND- reduces the volume out of the car by one step (non car side or landline) 0000#10 SEND- standard volume level 0000#1# SEND- raises the volume out of the car by one step (non car side or landline) 0000#99 SEND- factory reset The settings made / adjusted by that procedure will be peramanently stored in the cradle adaptor for each phone type specifficly. Changes made while e.g a Motorola V3 Razr is connected will adjust for ALL Motorola V3 Razr phones."
Going to try that tonight.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:46 AM

I completely resolved the sensitive microphone issue! After speaking with my girlfriend from the road, during which call she complained I was very scratchy and hard to hear. I hung up, typed in the code 0000#1* into the key pad and then hit the green call button. After a second a little "chime" sounds notifying you you have turned down the microphone. I did this 5-6 times. I called my girlfriend back immediately to test the mic. It worked! She said I sounded great and she could no longer hear any of the background noise. I had two other conversations while driving at about 65 to 75 mph on I-95 with no complaints.

Enjoy!
Old 02-05-2011, 11:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clk350 2006

deeoh, do you have satellite radio and sound system, or something else? I have no satellite radio but I do have the sound system.

Interestingly, I needed to replace Slot 1 of the SOUND component with SOUND1, not Slot 2 as prescribed in the directions. Also, I did access the Transmission Tunnel (which was extremely easy) by simply pulling back the carpeting to the left of passenger side foot well. All I did was following the directions explicitly. In the transmission tunnel you need to find the little black rectangle fiber connector, make sure the connectors into the black rectangle are TEL OUT > HU/CDC IN, and you should be good to go!

hi,

i have a clk 350 2006 with HK sound system and no satellite radio. I am trying to install the bluetooth MHI in the trunk. I am following the instructions from the pdf (MODEL 209.365/375/376 MODEL YEAR 2005 CELLULAR TELEPHONE INSTALLATION). I am stuck a figure 19 (Remove the fiber labeled “SOUND” from slot 2 (B, Figure 19) of the MOST connector and insert the fiber labeled “SOUND 2” in its place).
I have located the cables sound, sound 1 and sound 2. however I am having trouble removing the sound cable from the MOST connector. it is stuck in there? Should I just pull hard it until it comes out from its place. Do I need a tool?

Also according to other experiences it seems that replacing Slot 1 of the SOUND component with SOUND1, not Slot 2 as prescribed in the directions is the working layout.

At the end, the sound cable should be removed from slot 1 or 2? which one of the cable sound 1 or sound 2 should be plugged in the freed slot.

thanks for any input
Old 02-06-2011, 03:05 AM

I completely resolved the sensitive microphone issue! After speaking with my girlfriend from the road, during which call she complained I was very scratchy and hard to hear. I hung up, typed in the code 0000#1* into the key pad and then hit the green call button. After a second a little "chime" sounds notifying you you have turned down the microphone. I did this 5-6 times. I called my girlfriend back immediately to test the mic. It worked! She said I sounded great and she could no longer hear any of the background noise. I had two other conversations while driving at about 65 to 75 mph on I-95 with no complaints.

Enjoy!
That's good info to know and a great job! Hey mrorbinso, you've got a PM...
Old 02-06-2011, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by talhayou
hi,

i have a clk 350 2006 with HK sound system and no satellite radio. I am trying to install the bluetooth MHI in the trunk. I am following the instructions from the pdf (MODEL 209.365/375/376 MODEL YEAR 2005 CELLULAR TELEPHONE INSTALLATION). I am stuck a figure 19 (Remove the fiber labeled “SOUND” from slot 2 (B, Figure 19) of the MOST connector and insert the fiber labeled “SOUND 2” in its place).
I have located the cables sound, sound 1 and sound 2. however I am having trouble removing the sound cable from the MOST connector. it is stuck in there? Should I just pull hard it until it comes out from its place. Do I need a tool?

Also according to other experiences it seems that replacing Slot 1 of the SOUND component with SOUND1, not Slot 2 as prescribed in the directions is the working layout.

At the end, the sound cable should be removed from slot 1 or 2? which one of the cable sound 1 or sound 2 should be plugged in the freed slot.

thanks for any input
I used a small screwdriver to remove the fiber connector from the MOST connector and then the same tool to remove the individual fiber. Do NOT just try to pull it out, it should come freely once the retainer clips are released.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:49 PM

Woohoo! It works thanks to you dude! You were right about switching sound 1 from slot 2 to slot 1. I was starting to get a little frustrated too 'cause I was getting no sound output & no tel present on the dash & the nav. Thanks again!

-David

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: OEM Bluetooth Installation Complete