C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

2003 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S600 (v12TT)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 09:38 AM

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts
2017 GLS 550
I almost dropped the hammer on a 05 S600. it was beautiful, loved the everything about it. faster than the C55 I got instead, far more comfortable, and handled far better than a car it's size should. It was an awesome deal. Had 25K miles on it. Took it to my Indie MB shop. It checked out with only a few minor issues, and they loved the car, but then he let me know. that within the next 25K miles I would more than likely have at least 1 if not 2 struts fail and a few ABC sensors. It isn't the powertrain that is the issue on these cars. it is all the other technology. THe Shop Owner even has a S65. but he said be prepared to spend a minimum $5K year for repairs, and once you hit between 50K and 75K miles it will jump to about $10K for and then back to $5K after 75K to 100K then back up to $10K and so on and so forth. If I was independently wealthy I would own an S600 or S65 but then it would most likely be new enough to have warranty
Old 01-05-2011, 10:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by thtguy
I almost dropped the hammer on a 05 S600. it was beautiful, loved the everything about it. faster than the C55 I got instead, far more comfortable, and handled far better than a car it's size should. It was an awesome deal. Had 25K miles on it. Took it to my Indie MB shop. It checked out with only a few minor issues, and they loved the car, but then he let me know. 1. that within the next 25K miles I would more than likely have at least 1 if not 2 struts fail and a few ABC sensors. 2. It isn't the powertrain that is the issue on these cars. it is all the other technology. THe Shop Owner even has a S65. 3. but he said be prepared to spend a minimum $5K year for repairs, and once you hit between 50K and 75K miles it will jump to about $10K for and then back to $5K after 75K to 100K then back up to $10K and so on and so forth. If I was independently wealthy I would own an S600 or S65 but then it would most likely be new enough to have warranty
I have to ask, in order of above as I am at 52K on mine.

1. WHY, the struts by themselves just do not fail at ANY given mileage. They can last 10k, 30K, or a lifetime. Why did he say this?

2. This one I agree completely with as there are numerous computers/sensors and electronic gadgets that COULD, NOT will go bad.

3. Again, how about some detail, as my service rep, manual, maintenance schedule, etc does not stipulate this, nor does ANYONE on the W220 board.

What did he tell you needed replaced during these intervals please.

A low mileage 25K is a GREAT find. Mine had 41K and has required nothing out of the ordinary.

Note: at 100K or ten years, MB does require/suggest replacement of the coil packs and plugs. This one does cost $2500 at the shop I have been told, or about 1K DIY.

And finally an 05 CAN have a warrenty as my 04 certainly has one.

Last edited by MRAMG1; 01-05-2011 at 11:04 AM.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:48 AM

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts
2017 GLS 550
Originally Posted by MRAMG1
1. WHY, the struts by themselves just do not fail at ANY given mileage. They can last 10k, 30K, or a lifetime. Why did he say this?
Only Because they were all 4 original, and from his experience at least one blows a seal around 50K miles.

3. Again, how about some detail, as my service rep, manual, maintenance schedule, etc does not stipulate this, nor does ANYONE on the W220 board.
Maintenance might be the wrong word, basically break fix and the reason it goes up then down is because you fix all the expensive stuff and it lasts a while longer. Of course you don't have to fix all the issues either when they do have problems, the Dynamic Seats can be pricey to repair. And that one I was looking at had all the options, 4 place Active Seating, Distronic Speed Control (which was also really cool!)

And finally an 05 CAN have a warranty as my 04 certainly has one.
It had a Factory Extended, but since it was at a dealer (not MB, it was traded on a Euro delivery Panamerica Turbo) and not a private party sale, the warranty would not be valid. and believe me the hoops you have to jump through to get the extended transferred is not something you can fake. it was hard enough with my C55 and the Orig Owner contacting MB to transfer it.

Last edited by thtguy; 01-05-2011 at 11:52 AM.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aston Martin V8 Vantage
Wrong, the tranny is BULLETPROOF and used in the Bentleys. You will not hurt the tranny one bit when modified. Again, ask me how I know

The Bigger issue is the rear diff when you add boost. Several people on this board have broken diffs with elevated boost and drag radials, which is why I will NEVER try DR's on my toy. One gentlemen even broke his diff on an S65 stock, but on DR's.

Besides there is a sensor on the tranny that when it sees too much torque, aka twist on the output shaft it goes into neutral. A good tuner CAN turn this off, but I elected to leave it on, call it self preservation if you wish.

And YES, me and MANY others with modified 600's know this issue quite well. In cold weather with good atmospheric conditions, it is easy to activate this sensor, as the tranny goes into neutral and you have to shut the car off and restart to get it back into drive.

A VERY small price to pay for the extra ability to play, SAFELY, IMHO.

As far as the OP with a 100K car, YES I would shy away from it even IF you had the service history. But then again, I would not buy ANY German car with 100K on the speedo. But then again that is just me.

The part about the limo, well to each his own, but the S600 with the AMG looks package is one GREAT looking car IMHO. Again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and is VERY speculative in each and everyone of us.

Again guys they are all GREAT cars, and yes C32AMG-DTM, it is NOT an AMG, but it sure is fun at the local cruises and drags.

Have fun guys, and stay safe out there.
woa i think that's why my c55 and a couple of other people on here sometimes have the issue of tranny disengaging and going into neutral when TC is on. i thought it was a safety issue before, but now i'm positive and not worried about it
Old 01-05-2011, 12:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by thtguy
Only Because they were all 4 original, and from his experience at least one blows a seal around 50K miles.

I will not argue this one, but let us just say I disagree and many other members here would as well

Maintenance might be the wrong word, basically break fix and the reason it goes up then down is because you fix all the expensive stuff and it lasts a while longer. Of course you don't have to fix all the issues either when they do have problems, the Dynamic Seats can be pricey to repair. And that one I was looking at had all the options, 4 place Active Seating, Distronic Speed Control (which was also really cool!)

All of this stuff is on many models of MB's as I have stated before. Hence this is NOT an S class exclusive, but rather MB's in general.

It had a Factory Extended, but since it was at a dealer (not MB, it was traded on a Euro delivery Panamerica Turbo) and not a private party sale, the warranty would not be valid. and believe me the hoops you have to jump through to get the extended transferred is not something you can fake. it was hard enough with my C55 and the Orig Owner contacting MB to transfer it.
The last one can be tricky to say the least. However Easycare will give you a warranty with a check up from your local MB dealer. At least that is what is done here in PA.

As far as distronic, I'll sell you mine if I could remove it

Thanks for posting back
Old 01-05-2011, 02:07 PM
J J

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Bigger issue is the rear diff when you add boost. Several people on this board have broken diffs with elevated boost and drag radials, which is why I will NEVER try DR's on my toy. One gentlemen even broke his diff on an S65

Use slicks to avoid breaking driveline parts.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by J J
Use slicks to avoid breaking driveline parts.
Yeah, Ahmad told that as well, but I am too much of a baby

Besides, drag racing really isn't my thing.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0 LS2 - Blue
What can the s600 run in quarter mile?
Old 01-05-2011, 04:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by gt4awd
What can the s600 run in quarter mile?
Mioe was slow et but fast MPH

12.1, at 122 on street tires with a best of 2.02 60'

They can get into the low 11's easy, look at dragtimes.com.

Some have seen 10's
Old 01-05-2011, 05:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
W203 C55 and SAAB 9-3 2.0T
I have to say, I really dont understand why someone would want to take such a nice limo and turn it into a 10 sec drag car? I guess just for the fun of it? There are so many more things these cars are good for besides drag times.

And I would like to know how much torque that stock tranny can hold. That great that they use it in Bentley but that doesn't mean at 1000 ft/trq it will still be bullet proof.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
WRONG

Easycare will cover ANY v-12 and it does NOT cost an arm and a leg. GUESS how I know

Guys, I have to ask the underlying question. Are you trying to talk yourself out of an V-12, or are you jealous that you don't have one

I only ask, as I have done EVERYTHING under the sun in my C32 and my S600 and the final cost of ownership has been the same.

I know, I know I am lucky

And that will also buy you a cup of coffee under the bridge

As I have stated both are wonderful vehicles, and yes I do miss the nimbleness of the C.

But when all is said and done, I am sorry to say that I would NOT go back to it.

Reality, YES the V-12 costs more to fix than V-6. WHY, oh let me guess "There are twice as many moving parts"

Some of this BS is reminding of the M3 boards that they claim they are more pleased with their M3's than an M5 and wouldn't change.

Yeah, I'll bite on that one

Again, both are GREAT cars, and just about everyone here I respect and value your friendship. Lets just leave it at that guys and enjoy both cars, okay
Pretty presumptuous considering the company you are in?? I think the questions were related to repair costs and reliability, not the ability to obtain one. I was recently told by a speed shop that you can no longer get extended on the V-12s, BUT I will stand corrected if wrong? I was just asking the question. There's a ton of them out there for sale and they are gorgeous cars..................

BUT MrAmg, I would be more than happy to race yours against my Kleemann...........
Old 01-05-2011, 05:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Mioe was slow et but fast MPH

12.1, at 122 on street tires with a best of 2.02 60'

They can get into the low 11's easy, look at dragtimes.com.

Some have seen 10's
Stock with NO (zero) mods??? I know that modded ones are very quick.........and fast too............

How many miles does your car have??
Old 01-05-2011, 06:01 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Originally Posted by austinholloman
I have to say, I really dont understand why someone would want to take such a nice limo and turn it into a 10 sec drag car? I guess just for the fun of it? There are so many more things these cars are good for besides drag times.

And I would like to know how much torque that stock tranny can hold. That great that they use it in Bentley but that doesn't mean at 1000 ft/trq it will still be bullet proof.
i thought the Bentley Continental GT either used a ZF or a VW 6-spd transmission. The Arnage has a ZF 5-spd. they are owned by VAG so i doubt they'll stuff a MB tranny in there.

and the S600 and S65 actually makes more torque than anything else south of the Veyron.

Last edited by FrankW; 01-05-2011 at 06:08 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Aston Martin V8 Vantage
Originally Posted by FrankW
i thought the Bentley Continental GT either used a ZF or a VW 6-spd transmission. The Arnage has a ZF 5-spd. they are owned by VAG so i doubt they'll stuff a MB tranny in there.

and the S600 and S65 actually makes more torque than anything else south of the Veyron.
correct, the tranny on the continental flying spur comes out of the volkswagon sector. the continental gt came out before, but it might be the same.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Guys, don't sue me over that statement. I really do forget which super car uses it, besides Brabus. Which probably modifies it for their needs anyway.

Bottom line is that YES it is good for around 1000 lb/ft of torque.

And some on this vary board are already beating that number with NO tranny issues. At least as of yet.

Okay, now I have to ask, who ever said the the V-12 tranny is no good

Name please rather than speculation and guesses.

AS I have already stated I am NO drag racer. I like the twisties and NO the S was not meant for them. Neither were just about ANY other MB by the way as they are ALL too heavy.

Bottom line, is the S reliable. Mine a resounding YES proven at EVERY racing venue you can do, besides off road that is.

Are all of them reliable, probably not. Are all C32's reliable, Mine was in all racing styles, but again all are probably not.

What is the beef here guys

What is the bottom line justification for the which hunt against the S class?

Oh well, I'm done. If you want any real world info, PM me.

Good luck to the OP and all of you. Be safe out there
Old 01-05-2011, 06:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Guys, don't sue me over that statement. I really do forget which super car uses it, besides Brabus. Which probably modifies it for their needs anyway.

And some on this vary board are already beating that number with NO tranny issues. At least as of yet.

AS I have already stated I am NO drag racer. I like the twisties and NO the S was not meant for them. Neither were just about ANY other MB by the way as they are ALL too heavy.

Bottom line, is the S reliable. Mine a resounding YES proven at EVERY racing venue you can do, besides off road that is.

Are all of them reliable, probably not. Are all C32's reliable, Mine was in all racing styles, but again all are probably not.

No WITCH hunt, just a lot of questions about the car? I think you got off on the wrong foot when you started the accusation that people DON'T have one??? Trust me, if many on this forum can get a used C32/55, I don't think its a stretch that we can also get an 04 S600 if they really wanted one.

Perhaps you'll be rethinking that decision if your S600 is in fact a DD and premium hits $5.00 a gallon soon.................. I know that I can squeeze mid 20s out of the C32 all day long...............

Last edited by Newzchspy; 01-05-2011 at 06:36 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32, 911 SC
Originally Posted by Newzchspy
Perhaps you'll be rethinking that decision if your S600 is in fact a DD and premium hits $5.00 a gallon soon.................. I know that I can squeeze mid 20s out of the C32 all day long...............
OT, but seriously??? mine struggles to get 19 mpg with light foot and that was on 60% freeway.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
The question is, which one gets more women, the words "V12" or "AMG". Idk, both sound pretty baller.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Aston Martin V8 Vantage
Originally Posted by Viper98912
The question is, which one gets more women, the words "V12" or "AMG". Idk, both sound pretty baller.

set up a poll thread
Old 01-05-2011, 10:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C43 is 3400lbs vs s600 at 4600lbs and you say all Mercedes are too heavy? I think the limo that weighs in at 1200lbs more is just too heavy, my car is a blast to through and around the twistys.

Also found this:
"The W220 S-Class also became known for a shift in reliability ratings from the S-Class' previously high-ranked position. Consumer Reports classified the W220 model's reliability as "poor", its lowest rating, and declared it one of the "least reliable luxury cars".[7] Build quality, however, was generally considered to be good. For instance, Forbes described the W220 S500 as "built remarkably well." [8] Early W220s were recalled for issues with the trunk spring and the hydraulic fuel line; there were no recalls for the 2005 or 2006 model years. Issues with the W220 electronics systems, Airmatic suspension and other features are considerations in used models."

This is my favorite review of this car:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0sIf7Yclsg

This video makes the distronic look cool but everyone else seems to hate it, why?

Last edited by austinholloman; 01-05-2011 at 10:55 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:06 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
but consider this... a S600 is 4600lbs and maybe 4800lbs with the driver...a C63 is 4100-4200lbs with a driver (someone on C63 forum weight it)...now the S600 doesn't seem that heavy at all.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

700 lbs is soooo much more weight! That is 4 extra people added to a C63!! Five including the driver! I don't know about you but add 700 lbs to my car and it performs and rides like total crap... So would a C63... These S-Class limos are just that, huge human movers. Even an S55 is around 4500 lbs with no driver but it at least has the suspension tuning to help its ride and that still 600 more lbs than a C63.

2011 C63 with driver is 4100lbs
2011 S600 with driver is 5200lbs

So car for car in current year is almost 1000lbs! Insane!

Last edited by austinholloman; 01-06-2011 at 06:49 AM.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Originally Posted by ddtham
OT, but seriously??? mine struggles to get 19 mpg with light foot and that was on 60% freeway.
Ever heard of the "Jerry-Switch" and highway driving..............you can turn off the SC

Not recommended and car feels like an anchor on the back................BUT it can be done.

This is way OT, but I have seen C32s running 26-27 MPG, I usually am in the 22-25 MPG range almost all highway save for 3 miles of country roads; that's with a light foot too..............

Jerry and I played with turning off the SC for years (it doesnt engage but is still being driven by the belt)

Last edited by Newzchspy; 01-06-2011 at 01:06 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32, 911 SC
Originally Posted by Newzchspy
Ever heard of the "Jerry-Switch" and highway driving..............you can turn off the SC

Not recommended and car feels like an anchor on the back................BUT it can be done.

This is way OT, but I have seen C32s running 26-27 MPG, I usually am in the 22-25 MPG range almost all highway save for 3 miles of country roads; that's with a light foot too..............

Jerry and I played with turning off the SC for years (it doesnt engage but is still being driven by the belt)
When I did my research on SC switch a while back, some people won't recommend it for our 32K, because our engine is pretty gutless without the SC unlike SCed C55.

I played around with the throttle and speed last night and was able to get 25 mpg in a constant 65 mph and disengaged the SC. Not bad...
Old 01-06-2011, 06:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Wow. My car ave 27 mpg on my trip back from cali this winter. Its was getting 26 going up to flagstaff and 28.5 coming down... Ave about 27.4 on the flat part of the ride.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 2003 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S600 (v12TT)