C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Questions for the 203 experts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C55 AMG
Questions for the 203 experts

Hello my fellow enthusiasts, I just recently purchased my first AMG, the c55! I do not know enough about it to even consider myself a novice, but I long to learn more about the beast of a car i now own. With that in mind, please help me figure some things out.

1) I have two small silver boxes that looks like an HID kit for the headlights, is this an aftermarket item or do all c55's come with this box? (it is located directly behind the headlights with multiple plugs coming in and out of it. I assume HID, but am not sure)

2) I have the NAV enabled command center that has a button labeled "Video." Will this allow me to watch DVD's in the car (obviously not while driving)?

3) Are there any solutions for the lackluster performance of the rear sunshade? or the rattles that it produces?

4) My c55 is equipped with paddle shifters, which are not currently working. Was this a factory option or an aftermarket addition? Either way, how do I go about fixing this issue?

5) Back to the lights, I am having trouble with my lower passenger side fog lights, it sometimes works, but sometimes does not. Could very easily just be my getting under there and making sure it plugs in... but if this a common issue?

6) What kind of oil should i use?

7) Are there any places i can go to get carbon fiber interior pieces? as well as shifter knob?

8) The lower driver side door panel rattles a bit when the music is turned up, common? no?

I have tons more but that should give us plenty to talk about for now, or at least plenty for you guys to tell me how simple and easy these issues are to fix...

Any and ALL help is greatly appreciated!

Keep the right foot heavy,

DB
Old 01-10-2011, 02:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
Originally Posted by AMG_Texan
Hello my fellow enthusiasts, I just recently purchased my first AMG, the c55! I do not know enough about it to even consider myself a novice, but I long to learn more about the beast of a car i now own. With that in mind, please help me figure some things out.

1) I have two small silver boxes that looks like an HID kit for the headlights, is this an aftermarket item or do all c55's come with this box? (it is located directly behind the headlights with multiple plugs coming in and out of it. I assume HID, but am not sure)

2) I have the NAV enabled command center that has a button labeled "Video." Will this allow me to watch DVD's in the car (obviously not while driving)?

3) Are there any solutions for the lackluster performance of the rear sunshade? or the rattles that it produces?

4) My c55 is equipped with paddle shifters, which are not currently working. Was this a factory option or an aftermarket addition? Either way, how do I go about fixing this issue?

5) Back to the lights, I am having trouble with my lower passenger side fog lights, it sometimes works, but sometimes does not. Could very easily just be my getting under there and making sure it plugs in... but if this a common issue?

6) What kind of oil should i use?

7) Are there any places i can go to get carbon fiber interior pieces? as well as shifter knob?

8) The lower driver side door panel rattles a bit when the music is turned up, common? no?

I have tons more but that should give us plenty to talk about for now, or at least plenty for you guys to tell me how simple and easy these issues are to fix...

Any and ALL help is greatly appreciated!

Keep the right foot heavy,

DB
1) The OEM HID ballasts are located underneath the headlight and you can't see them. The OEM HID's on the C55 are bixenon projectors. You might have HID's, but they aren't OEM. Post a pic.
2) OEM US Comand does not have a video button. It might be the Euro APS version or an aftermarket version. Post a pic.
3) Describe performance. Yes it does rattle at certain frequencies - I just put it up and it goes away for the most part.
4) Original is paddle buttons, not shifters. There is a way to retrofit the SLK55 shifters on there. If they are SLK55, then they didn't connect them. If they are aftermarket, good luck.
5) Not a common issue as far as I know, check the bulb and connection.
6) Mobil 1 0W-40 is the factory and recommended fill.
7) Search for different vendors on here, there are a few that offer CF front lips, spoliers, etc. Schatz also makes some aftermarket knobs (that fit well, but not perfect) that are CF.
8) Yes common and annoys the hell out of me, some predict that it is the button area around the trunk button. I haven't taken it apart yet.

Welcome to the club.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
none
1. Send a pic...... Bi-Xenons have the boxes fixed underneath the headlights
2. No. OEM Nav in USA units dont have a video button. European Units do
3. No my suggestion is dont use it
4. Not an option on the US. Soundslike the previous owner tried to retrofit SLK shifters on the steering wheel and gave up on finishing it up. PITA to get done. GL
5. No.... get under the car and fix the connection. Might be a arc in the harness. Anyways get under the car and look.
6. Depends where you are at. In the south use 10w40
7. Google
8. No....someone messed with the car perhaps?

My questions to you are.....
1. Have you found the Search button at the top?
2. Have you read all the stickies at the top of the W203 AMG section?
Old 01-10-2011, 02:46 PM

2005 C55 AMG
@ Viper: Thanks, ill get some pics asap

@ Moose: I have not read ALL of them yet, but am sifting through them as time permits... anywhere youd send me first? and I have used the search option, but figured i would put all my issues in one place as i could not find specific answers through the search function... But I will continue reading as well as searching... thanks for the response nonetheless
Old 01-10-2011, 02:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by moosejaw
1. Send a pic...... Bi-Xenons have the boxes fixed underneath the headlights
2. No. OEM Nav in USA units dont have a video button. European Units do
3. No my suggestion is dont use it
4. Not an option on the US. Soundslike the previous owner tried to retrofit SLK shifters on the steering wheel and gave up on finishing it up. PITA to get done. GL
5. No.... get under the car and fix the connection. Might be a arc in the harness. Anyways get under the car and look.
6. Depends where you are at. In the south use 10w40
7. Google
8. No....someone messed with the car perhaps?

My questions to you are.....
1. Have you found the Search button at the top?
2. Have you read all the stickies at the top of the W203 AMG section?
I thought that the c55 came with paddle shifters??
Old 01-10-2011, 02:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
a land yacht.
Originally Posted by c32kompressor
I thought that the c55 came with paddle shifters??
come with buttons, not paddle's. My dad just retrofitted paddles on his C55 though and it looks SICK!! I dont know why it didnt come like that in the first place...the SLK did wtf!
Old 01-10-2011, 02:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Texan, many of the questions you asked could have been found in the search, but many of them aren't as obvious when searching, hence why I responded. They're obvious to me but that's because I've read too much on here already. There's a lot of info on this forum and on the W203 (non-AMG) forum, so spend some time in there as well.

When the whole paddle thing came around, many of the MB's didn't come with paddles, they came with buttons. Paddles were reserved more for the sporty cars (roadsters) and higher end cars. Most of the newer models ditched the buttons for the industry standard paddles. To me, paddles look better and all but can get in your way more than the buttons.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
07 C55's came with paddle shifters but the C55 (was one of that model year changes besides the bumper) but was never imported into the North American Market for the 07.

One guy that was local to me successfully retrofitted SLK paddles to his C55 steering wheel.
I knew it took him a long time. His name was Mikesomething.

Because Im in a warm climate the oil weight I use is 10w40, however the factory uses what Viper recommends
Old 01-10-2011, 03:14 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
a car.
Please answer the following questions at your earliest convenience:

1. Where are the pictures? We like pictures around here, lots of pictures.
2. What color is it? How many miles does it have? (show some pictures!!)
3. How often are you in the Houston area? I'm looking for more enthusiasts to hang out with.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 C55's came with paddle shifters but the C55 (was one of that model year changes besides the bumper) but was never imported into the North American Market for the 07.
Does anyone have any pix of this? A google search mostly shows N.A. 05-06. I know there were AMG Performance Studio options like the front bumper that looks like the CLK63, large style rear tips, 19" split-5 spoke wheels, and I think the option for the 6/4 brakes
Old 01-10-2011, 03:38 PM

2005 C55 AMG
Originally Posted by chris.bachman
Please answer the following questions at your earliest convenience:

1. Where are the pictures? We like pictures around here, lots of pictures.
2. What color is it? How many miles does it have? (show some pictures!!)
3. How often are you in the Houston area? I'm looking for more enthusiasts to hang out with.
1) Pics are coming soon
2) Granite Gray (not sure of the technical color from MB, but its like a blue-ish gray...)
3) I LIVE in Houston, at least for now... We should meet up at Coffee and Cars or an Urban Speed meet, unless you know of anything else... Or heck, just go terrorizin the town anytime... I live out in Katy, right off I-10, so Im not far from any action (unless theres traffic...) PM me
Old 01-10-2011, 05:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PLAID
Originally Posted by C_DirtyTwo
come with buttons, not paddle's. My dad just retrofitted paddles on his C55 though and it looks SICK!! I dont know why it didnt come like that in the first place...the SLK did wtf!
Cost cutting..................

I am not fond of the buttons and therefore do NOT use them................

Unless its as good as Porsches PDK or Lexus IS-F, have no interest in "auto-shifting"

If I had wanted a manual, I would have bought one..............

Unfortunately, AMGs don't come in stick..................
Old 01-10-2011, 10:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aston Martin V8 Vantage

One guy that was local to me successfully retrofitted SLK paddles to his C55 steering wheel.
I knew it took him a long time. His name was Mikesomething.

Because Im in a warm climate the oil weight I use is 10w40, however the factory uses what Viper recommends
Michael kuzni or you may be referring to mike kruiger.i wonder how many c55's out there have the mod and if it helps when doing a private sale when we get ready to sell the car.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
Originally Posted by michael kuzni
Michael kuzni or you may be referring to mike kruiger.i wonder how many c55's out there have the mod and if it helps when doing a private sale when we get ready to sell the car.
No it was MikeGPR03 and it did like 3 years back. Way before you even thought about getting into a AMG

Hers a shot of that 2007 C55 with the paddle shift
Old 01-10-2011, 11:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a car that can't do the throttle reset.
I am really disappointed in everyone. Truly.

*sees thread title... sees lack of proper responses.. saunters out*
Old 01-10-2011, 11:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Aston Martin V8 Vantage
No it was MikeGPR03 and it did like 3 years back. Way before you even thought about getting into a AMG

Hers a shot of that 2007 C55 with the paddle shift
that's really nice, what's that little screen up on the dash for? i've always wondered that. anyways, 3 years ago, i honestly didn't even have a drivers license yet but props to mike on that one.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
Originally Posted by pointman
I am really disappointed in everyone. Truly.

*sees thread title... sees lack of proper responses.. saunters out*
Regarding thread title...
I guess the 203 experts havent chimed in,
but what do i know I drive a W211?
Old 01-11-2011, 08:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
that's really nice, what's that little screen up on the dash for? i've always wondered that.
Parking sensors...
Quite common in Europe
Old 01-11-2011, 11:51 AM

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts
2017 GLS 550

Someone done went and put the steering wheel on the wrong side. Is that one of those special order USPS Rural Route C55's?

Old 01-11-2011, 12:04 PM

2005 C55 AMG
Originally Posted by thtguy

Someone done went and put the steering wheel on the wrong side. Is that one of those special order USPS Rural Route C55's?

Yea, im not sure how to get that fixed, but i bet it wouldnt be cheap!
Old 01-11-2011, 01:00 PM

a car.

Fix'd
Old 01-13-2011, 02:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Aston Martin V8 Vantage

Fix'd
now it looks like he's doing a 200mph burnout. how did you do this anyways?
Old 01-13-2011, 07:38 AM

a car.
Edit>Flip>180* Horizontal.

I'll be opening shop and doing RH Drive to LH Drive conversions for all members at the low price of $50.00, get it done today!
Old 01-13-2011, 08:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
how did you do this anyways?
When he wrote the post,
He held a mirror to the screen
Old 01-13-2011, 09:30 AM

2006 C55

Fix'd
LOL @ 200mph burnout! Looks to me like someone swapped the e-brake pedal and gas pedal...maybe for better response from the e-brake?