C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

after market deck Install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 04:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 C55 AMG
after market deck Install

Hey everyone, I'm looking to install an aftermarket deck in my car, specifically a kenwood DNX 9960 (http://www.kenwood.ca/Car_Entertainm...eivers/DNX9960). Before purchasing the deck I took my car to futureshop and was advised on all the parts I needed and was told it should be a straightforward process. After everything arrived I decided to get a second opinion and took my car to a small car-audio company and was told something almost completely different.
I'm being told that the AMG cars have an optical connector on the factory deck and a standard wiring harness would not suffice. This would require them to rewire the entire system and could cost around $450 - $600 in labour.

Can someone here who has put a different deck in their C55 (mine's an 06) share some insight?

Do I go with futureshop and run the risk that they might not know what they're doing or go with the smaller company who seems like they know what they're doing, but might be trying to rip me off?
Old 01-14-2011, 04:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aston Martin V8 Vantage
Originally Posted by halteh
Hey everyone, I'm looking to install an aftermarket deck in my car, specifically a kenwood DNX 9960 (http://www.kenwood.ca/Car_Entertainm...eivers/DNX9960). Before purchasing the deck I took my car to futureshop and was advised on all the parts I needed and was told it should be a straightforward process. After everything arrived I decided to get a second opinion and took my car to a small car-audio company and was told something almost completely different.
I'm being told that the AMG cars have an optical connector on the factory deck and a standard wiring harness would not suffice. This would require them to rewire the entire system and could cost around $450 - $600 in labour.

Can someone here who has put a different deck in their C55 (mine's an 06) share some insight?

Do I go with futureshop and run the risk that they might not know what they're doing or go with the smaller company who seems like they know what they're doing, but might be trying to rip me off?
please PM me before some shop destroys your car
Old 01-14-2011, 04:48 PM

2006 C55 AMG
Done!
Old 01-14-2011, 05:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Aston Martin V8 Vantage
wow i just go like 4 messages from people with questions about mobile audio. i will answer them all ASAP. i know the answer for all of them.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:20 PM

2006 C55 AMG
Originally Posted by michael kuzni
wow i just go like 4 messages from people with questions about mobile audio. i will answer them all ASAP. i know the answer for all of them.
That's awesome, share the information here. I am sure there is lots of good info that others would want to know as well.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Thanks mike! Great info!
Old 01-14-2011, 07:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Aston Martin V8 Vantage
Originally Posted by JUAN CASAUS
Thanks mike! Great info!
no problem!! halteh i'm gonna go ahead and answer your question on here then. i just didn't want to keep on bringing up old stuff that's been discussed before, you obviously weren't on here when it was discussed though. so, what exactly are you trying to do? why do you want to change the stereo? just for the 7" screen? it's ALOT harder than changing the stereo in the c32's. yes, because of the whole fiber optic cable deal.

Trending Topics

Old 01-14-2011, 07:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Aston Martin V8 Vantage
i'm not an installer, but i know enough about it. i was told that you need to relocate the factory stereo because of the commands that go through it. if you change the stereo, i would suggest changing the factory speakers and putting an aftermarket amplifier on them, specifically a 5 channel to run some sort of subwoofer that you would put in the trunk for your low frequencies and then take out your factory 10" woofer so that that hole can be used as a port for the bass into the cabin. definately not a DIY job in this car, unless you're very experienced.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:05 PM

2005 E55 AMG
Where is the stock sub located?
Old 01-14-2011, 08:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Aston Martin V8 Vantage
Where is the stock sub located?
under the rear deck to the left. peak your head under there and you can see it. quite a bit of work to remove it, but sound is worth it. i DO NOT recommend putting just any aftermarket subwoofer in the rear deck, free air subwoofers are not the way to go. it's not an upgrade.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Aston Martin V8 Vantage
if you have a c55, you have a can system and you need to actually buy a module from PAC in order to integrate into the system without relocating the stereo.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:36 AM

2006 C55 AMG
Michael, thanks so much for the help thus far. Figured we can leave this public incase it helps any other n00bs like myself.

I want to change the deck because public radio here is the worst; I wanted a built in nav system, with ipod and satellite radio hookup. Not some aftermarket business on my dash (just looks too ghetto for a Benz imo)

I purchased a swi can2 and swi jack from pac audio as the dealer at futureshop suggested I do so. I'm confused about relocating the factory stereo. Are you talking about the deck? I have to leave it in the car?

Why would you suggest I change the factory speakers? I'm happy with the sound, is there another reason they should be changed? Will they not work with the new deck? Further, can I not just use the factory sub as well?

Is the stock deck providing amplified power to all the speakers that the new deck I want put in won't provide? Is this the reason I need an after market amp? If there is already an amp in the car giving power to my speakers, can I not just use that same amp?

Sorry about all these questions, I just wanna make sure I know what is going on before I hand my keys over to the installers.

Thanks!
Old 01-15-2011, 04:03 AM

Volvo
I have a W203 Facelift MCSII Comand system running on an aftermarket amp...Ya just need to understand the system...... Have a look at my guide... Should help with bit with the wiring..
Old 01-15-2011, 04:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Aston Martin V8 Vantage
Originally Posted by OverDrive
I have a W203 Facelift MCSII Comand system running on an aftermarket amp...Ya just need to understand the system...... Have a look at my guide... Should help with bit with the wiring..
your close enough to bring it by our location and if you come tomorrow afternoon, you can see the noble m600 and the gallardo we'll have at our shop. both close l4p friends. everyone else with questions on here, give me until the morning to reply.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:54 AM

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by michael kuzni
under the rear deck to the left. peak your head under there and you can see it. quite a bit of work to remove it, but sound is worth it. i DO NOT recommend putting just any aftermarket subwoofer in the rear deck, free air subwoofers are not the way to go. it's not an upgrade.
What would you recommend as a direct switch upgrade? I'd like better sound but don't really want a box in my trunk.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Aston Martin V8 Vantage
Originally Posted by halteh
Michael, thanks so much for the help thus far. Figured we can leave this public incase it helps any other n00bs like myself.

I want to change the deck because public radio here is the worst; I wanted a built in nav system, with ipod and satellite radio hookup. Not some aftermarket business on my dash (just looks too ghetto for a Benz imo)

I purchased a swi can2 and swi jack from pac audio as the dealer at futureshop suggested I do so. I'm confused about relocating the factory stereo. Are you talking about the deck? I have to leave it in the car?

Why would you suggest I change the factory speakers? I'm happy with the sound, is there another reason they should be changed? Will they not work with the new deck? Further, can I not just use the factory sub as well?

Is the stock deck providing amplified power to all the speakers that the new deck I want put in won't provide? Is this the reason I need an after market amp? If there is already an amp in the car giving power to my speakers, can I not just use that same amp?

Sorry about all these questions, I just wanna make sure I know what is going on before I hand my keys over to the installers.

Thanks!
this is what you need to do: when you change the stereo, the aftermarket stereo will be pushing out power into your exhisting amplified system system. more than likely 17 watts RMS will be pushed into your factory system from the aftermarket stereo causing your original speakers to distort at high volumes. therefore, a solution to that would be doing a complete re-wire in the car putting an aftermarket amplifier on aftermarket speakers. that would be a large upgrade. just make sure the shop that is touching your car is highly reputable and knows what they're doing. IMO, there is no shopping for a good price on labor. if there is a shop that's known for working on high end cars that's going to charge you a reasonable amount more than the mom and pa shop that claims they know what they're doing, spend the money and take it there.

another reason why you need to change your speakers if you put an aftermarket amplifier is because your factory speakers are made to run at 2ohm and an aftermarket amps puts out 4ohms so you would have to keep the amp gain all the way down otherwise more distortion would come. you need to use the can 2 system otherwise you would need to relocate your factory stereo. hope this helped
Old 01-15-2011, 12:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Aston Martin V8 Vantage
What would you recommend as a direct switch upgrade? I'd like better sound but don't really want a box in my trunk.
i would not recommend replacing the factory rear woofer unless it was blown. replace the mid's and tweeters in your car with higher end component systems and put an aftermarket 5 channel amp to the hi's in your car and the extra channel to the factory sub. you could replace the factory sub and put an aftermarket 4 ohm woofer with the extra channel on the amp going to it, but i don't see it sounding good because it would just be a flexing free air woofer. it really depends on the sound you're trying to go for, but i still recommend the trunk enclosure. i'm building a fiberglass box for mine to fit on the left side where that ditch is
Old 01-15-2011, 09:55 PM

Volvo
They make 2ohm amps... Thats what I'm using.... It also can do 4 -8 .... You don't have to get a 4ohm amp........... I retain everything from the factory sound expect the amp and my console of course and which puts out more watts than the stock and gives me the option to upgrade the speakers (If i ever wanted to) Add a huge sub (I would never do... just adds weight) or ext..... Yes 4ohm amps are the most common but they do have others that will work just fine... If your on a budget... do that
Old 01-15-2011, 10:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Aston Martin V8 Vantage
They make 2ohm amps... Thats what I'm using.... It also can do 4 -8 .... You don't have to get a 4ohm amp........... I retain everything from the factory sound expect the amp and my console of course and which puts out more watts than the stock and gives me the option to upgrade the speakers (If i ever wanted to) Add a huge sub (I would never do... just adds weight) or ext..... Yes 4ohm amps are the most common but they do have others that will work just fine... If your on a budget... do that
infinity?
Old 01-15-2011, 11:37 PM

Volvo
Im using a Polk Audio.... did you read my guide?
Old 01-16-2011, 12:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Aston Martin V8 Vantage
Im using a Polk Audio.... did you read my guide?
yea i just saw it. props to you! that's crazy! if you don't mind me asking, what is your profession? are you in the 12v. industry?
Old 01-16-2011, 02:33 AM

Volvo
actually, I'm no where near what I studied in college.... I'm in real estate and also server hosting

Last edited by OverDrive; 01-16-2011 at 03:01 AM.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:59 AM

2006 C55 AMG
Thanks for all the great info in this thread. I think I know what I'm going to do now. I will post some pictures once the install is done.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Aston Martin V8 Vantage
actually, I'm no where near what I studied in college.... I'm in real estate and also server hosting
that's funny, was your major in engineering? one day we'll do a bay area meet and i'll check out your car. it looks like a serious piece of work