C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

SprintBooster Group Buy, Sponsored by ThrottleBooster.com

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 03:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
'06 C55, '14 Audi S4, '09 Range Rover Sport, '07 Lexus ES350,
Originally Posted by Newzchspy
Mike, I too have the SB (old style) on the C32. Just so we're clear...............IT does NOT at all make the car any faster/quicker. Period. All it does is "better" the throttle response to your foot input. Saying that it makes it feel as if they car wants to break the rear tires loose is ONLY because the throttle is quicker to react to input, which is tantamount to flooring the car and breaking the tires loose. IT does not make it any quicker/faster!!! In fact, many drag guys DON'T like it because they want MORE control over their "foot input". Again, I've used it for nearly 4 years and yes, I do LIKE it. BUT it did not make my C32 any quicker than it was before installation. FWIW, it also makes the initial input on the old SB very touchy from the initial pedal travel.

I do wish they'd offer a trade-up form the old SB to the new because I would do that??
Newzchspy,

Perhaps the best way to add color to my comment is by repeating the post I made in another thread on this topic. Here goes:

"I have installed the Sprint Booster 2 on my 2006 C55 AMG. My comments are therefore limited to the way it affects my car. While it seems plausible to me that the way it might impact another car (with throttle lag) would be similar to the effect it has on my car, "waking up" a motor with 362hp might produce a more significant impact than say waking up a motor with 250hp. That being said, the impact is always going to be "relative" to the way the car reacts before installation. Therefore, in that regard, the "difference" might well be similarly meaningful.

I have had mine installed for a few days now and in my opinion it "completely" changes the response of the car when you press the accelerator. Previously, the car would be sluggish off the line and then all of a sudden "bang" it would take off. Unless you got into the throttle, the response was somewhat uninspiring - disappointingly so IMHO. With the sprint booster on, the car responds almost immediately when you press the accelerator, and as you give it more pedal the power comes on in a "very linear way".

The 2nd gen Sprint Booster gives you the ability to switch between three modes: no boost (clear); high boost (red); and mid level boost (green). I drove the car for an hour yesterday switching between the three modes and the difference with either boost mode (green or red) engaged and clear (stock) is "night and day".

This is the most important point. There was "no way" for me to replicate the feeling I got with the Sprint Booster engaged versus stock mode - no matter how I tried to alter my push on the pedal. While I understand that part of the reaction with the Sprint Booster engaged is getting the effect of a more pronounced push on the accelerator with less push of the pedal (e.g., 1/4 travel equates to more than 1/4 pedal travel in stock mode). However, it's the way the power is delivered which is different.

With the sprint booster engaged, the power delivery feels very linear, with more acceleration coming from each little bit of incremental effort on the pedal. In OEM mode, it's like Doctor Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (very little impact from the initial push of the pedal until you hit a point and then it feels like you have floored the accelerator). My wife has often complained asking me why I am driving like a maniac. The problem has been it is either little acceleration or tons of acceleration. I have often found myself apologizing to passengers in my car and pointing out that I'm not trying to drive like an idiot. It's just the way the car behaves.

Again, I don't know how the product works technically, so I can't argue on the science. I am just providing an owners perspective."

Although I have not gone to the track to prove it, it seems intuitive to me that if you eliminate/reduce the throttle lag which exists in the stock set up the car should be faster to any given speed by the time lost to that throttle lag in stock mode. Maybe I'm wrong, but that seems logical - to my simplistic thought process anyway.

If I am wrong, my comments above still stand. I much prefer the linear response to the accelerator input from the SB 2 as compared to the way the car behaved previously. FYI - I've owned the car since new so I have years of experience with the stock set up. After having tasted the SB 2, I cannot imagine ever wanting to go back to that set up.

I agree with your last comment - it would be nice if they offered a trade up, or at least a significant discount to prior owners who turn in their old product in exchange for the new one. Being able to switch between the modes is awesome.

Best,

Last edited by mgiannetto; 03-01-2011 at 07:36 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PLAID
Originally Posted by mgiannetto
Newzchspy,

Perhaps the best way to add color to my comment is by repeating the post I made in another thread on this topic. Here goes:

"I have installed the Sprint Booster 2 on my 2006 C55 AMG. My comments are therefore limited to the way it affects my car. While it seems plausible to me that the way it might impact another car (with throttle lag) would be similar to the effect it has on my car, "waking up" a motor with 362hp might produce a more significant impact than say waking up a motor with 250hp. That being said, the impact is always going to be "relative" to the way the car reacts before installation. Therefore, in that regard, the "difference" might well be similarly meaningful.

I have had mine installed for a few days now and in my opinion it "completely" changes the response of the car when you press the accelerator. Previously, the car would be sluggish off the line and then all of a sudden "bang" it would take off. Unless you got into the throttle, the response was somewhat uninspiring - disappointingly so IMHO. With the sprint booster on, the car responds almost immediately when you press the accelerator, and as you give it more pedal the power comes on in a "very linear way".

The 2nd gen Sprint Booster gives you the ability to switch between three modes: no boost (clear); high boost (red); and mid level boost (green). I drove the car for an hour yesterday switching between the three modes and the difference with either boost mode (green or red) engaged and clear (stock) is "night and day".

This is the most important point. There was "no way" for me to replicate the feeling I got with the Sprint Booster engaged versus stock mode - no matter how I tried to alter my push on the pedal. While I understand that part of the reaction with the Sprint Booster engaged is getting the effect of a more pronounced push on the accelerator with less push of the pedal (e.g., 1/4 travel equates to more than 1/4 pedal travel in stock mode). However, it's the way the power is delivered which is different.

With the sprint booster engaged, the power delivery feels very linear, with more acceleration coming from each little bit of incremental effort on the pedal. In OEM mode, it's like Doctor Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (very little impact from the initial push of the pedal until you hit a point and then it feels like you have floored the accelerator). My wife has often complained asking me why I am driving like a maniac. The problem has been it is either little acceleration or tons of acceleration. I have often found myself apologizing to passengers in my car and pointing out that I'm not trying to drive like an idiot. It's just the way the car behaves.

Again, I don't know how the product works technically, so I can't argue on the science. I am just providing an owners perspective."

Although I have not gone to the track to prove it, it seems intuitive to me that if you eliminate/reduce the throttle lag which exists in the stock set up the car should be faster to any given speed by the time lost to that throttle lag in stock mode. Maybe I'm wrong, but that seems logical - to my simplistic thought process anyway.

If I am wrong, my comments above still stand. I much prefer the linear response to the accelerator input from the SB 2 as compared to the way the car behaved previously. FYI - I've owned the car since new so I have years of experience with the stock set up. After having tasted the SB 2, I cannot imagine ever wanting to go back to that set up.

I agree with your last comment - it would be nice if they offered a trade up, or at least a significant discount to prior owners who turn in their old product in exchange for the new one. Being able to switch between the modes is awesome.

Best,
There's no right or wrong here, I am just saying that as a SB owner, I do NOT want anyone to get the impression that IT will give one more power in their car........IT wont.(the question has come up many many times on this and other forums). As far as acceleration runs, I can tell you that I've run nearly identical times with and without MY original unit, so IT will not make the car any quicker in the qtr as well. In fact, if you're trying to feather on the acceleration run, it can be a lil more difficult to do that since its so responsive. That can lead to what you refer to as "wheelspin" and dragracers know all too well, "spinnin aint winnin." Note that it may make it FEEL that way, BUT there is absolutely NO increase in HP/TQ or anything other than "seat of the pants BUTT dyno. It seems to me that with my old unit, the difference is in the "initial" pedal travel. After that, I just don't feel it.

I think the term BOOST can be misleading since its not boosting anything other than the throttle response that you feel. I would like to be able to switch modes so that I can go "stock" at the drags..........my right foot tends to get antsy and that results in wheelspin, particularly with the SB I have.

Last edited by Newzchspy; 03-01-2011 at 08:46 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C55 AMG
Originally Posted by mgiannetto
Thanks. I really did not want to use the two sided tape or mount it in a spot, with the wire dangling down, where it looked out of place. Where I have it tucked, the only person who can see it is me. So if I want to go to red mode with my wife in the car, I fly under her radar screen so to speak .

Let me color a bit more your green vs. red mode question. This is really subjective right. Someone else might have a different perspective and we would both be right. It's all about how it feels to each person. So take my comments with that in mind.

I would characterize it this way. If the Red mode gets you 100% boost, the Green mode gets you 75% of the way there. It does not feel like 50% to me - as that might imply that the difference between clear (stock) mode and green is the same as the difference between Green and Red. That is not my perception at all. The biggest delta is going from clear (stock) to Green. Going from Green to Red gets you a bit more, but it's not night and day and it's not the same as going from clear to Green. So hopefully that adds a bit more to help you get your mind around this.

I have not experienced the momentary lag (hot second as you describe it) when flooring the accelerator. However, I'd like to be sure I understand the circumstance you are describing. Are you talking about flooring the accelerator from a dead stop of flooring the accelerator while the car is in motion. I'm not sure I've done the former, but have definitely done the latter. There is also flooring the accelerator (burying the pedal in one immediate movement) and doing it in a somewhat less aggressive way. So which are you talking about there?

It does feel to me like the car wants to break the tires loose more easily with the booster engaged (be it Green or Red) and that would most certainly have the on board nanny (traction control system) put a stop to things. So I have played around a bit with driving with the TCS off (yellow triangle on the dash). I still have a lot more playing around with the Sprint Booster to do. I could not be happier with the decision to purchase it based upon my experience to date. It's all I thought it would be and more.

In terms of your comment about not wanting to "get back up in there" to reinstall the mode selector - I hear you. Getting the pedal out was a bit of a PITA and getting it all the way back up where it needs to be so the pedal can lock into the stud in the floor was not easier (it was harder in fact). You might find it a little easier if you drop (or move out of the way as best you can) the lower underside cover. Takes all of 1 minute (3 Torx screws) to do.

My advice would be to reinstall the mode selector (something like I have done - neatly tucked away) and play with the modes for a while. I think you will find - as I have now - that being able to switch between Green and Red is a desirable thing.

Feel free to shoot back another note or PM me if you have more questions.

Mike
Mike,

I've actually had the "dead second, or the jerk" happen whenever I truly punch the accelerator. But like I said, once you can remove the ESP out of the way, the results are a lot better "tires breaking". I am still dealing with the occasional jerk even when I don't floor it, and trying to figure out what I can do to minimize/stop it. I'm almost to the point where I'm curious about trying another just to see if this is par for the course, or did I stumble upon a less than 100% unit.

I would definitely like to keep comparing notes with you (since it seems we have both stumbled upon this great new toy, and have the same vehicle to play with it on. The only thing that I think might also be playing a factor in my car's reaction is that I had an ECU tune about 2 weeks prior to getting my booster. Not sure if they are not quite agreeing with each other or not. Before anybody says anything, I am fully aware of the booster's claim not to mess with your ECU setting, but I am curious that if my ECU flash had "shorten" my throttle play, how would the ECU react to receiving an even shorter throttle signal coming from the booster.

I guess I'm really wondering at what point does the ECU start to "choke" on the flood of throttle input in such a short period of time. Just a thought.

Stan
Old 03-02-2011, 07:40 AM

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
C55 AMG T with Kleemann K2 and some stuff: 414 hp and 576Nm :-)
Hello everybody!

I was uncomfortable with the "throttle lag" in my C55, especially
when going round corners and roundabouts.

Then I got the Kleemann software and the problem disappeared!!

Plus that power comes on more brutal after gearchanges than
original.
Plus that power in 2:nd gear feels more strong than originally (is
it reduced from factory for little slower 0-60 mph so it won´t
compete with other AMG-models??)
Plus v-max is taken away.
Plus a little better mpg than originally (5-10%?).

Worth every penny, in my opinion!

Get the software instead!

Good luck, whatever you choose.