C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

AMS pulleys...what's your experience

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C55 AMG
AMS pulleys...what's your experience

I'm looking into installing an AMS pulley on my C55. From what I've been able to find out, there seems to be some hp/tq gains (maybe 5-10hp/tq improvement). My main focus for the install is the potential MPG increases that it could bring. Wanted to find out if anyone else has had any experiences (good or bad) with these pulleys.

Last edited by BHeart; 03-17-2011 at 10:40 AM.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:47 PM

2006 C55
That happens to be one of the reasons I bought that pulley as well.

I have not had a chance to install it since I bought it used and it was the start of winter time.

My plans are to get it checked and make sure it is properly balanced and then I will be getting it installed.

My plan is to have it installed by the end of April since I know I will have absolutely NO time outside of work to get anything done.

As long as you are fine waiting, you can get some feedback from me on the install and MPG change.

I don't imagine it would be too much, but every little bit helps! If I want to improve my gas mileage, I usually just quit driving the car like I stole it.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PLAID
Originally Posted by BHeart
I'm looking into installing an AMS pulley on my C55. From what I've been able to find out, there seems to be some hp/tq gains (maybe 5-10hp/tq improvement). My main focus for the install is the potential MPG increases that it could bring. Wanted to find out if anyone else has had any experiences (good or bad) with these pulleys.

Any advantages to this?? I've been thinking about it for the ML55.

This is what AMS says: How much power does this equate to?

60% (4 lbs.) reduction in mass equates to roughly 10-15HP gain at the crankshaft
depending on model and performance modifications currently on the
vehicle. The more aftermarket modifications currently on the vehicle
the higher the gains, as it is simply improving engine efficiency percentage.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:43 PM

2006 C55
As a rule of thumb, any time you reduce weight, (especially rotating), you will increase the performance of the vehicle. Whether that increase is noticeable or not is another story.

Doing just the crank pulley, you might not notice as much. If you were to replace multiple pulleys with lighter ones, you may notice a little something more.

From the MPG view, you are going to always have the mileage vary. If you are averaging between 17-18 in town, you might not notice an increase of .3 for example. If you did some other supporting mods, it may become more apparent.

I would like to bump up the mpg due to the rising fuel costs in addition to the environmental benefits, but I almost think I would be better off spending about $1,000 and buying something like an older p.o.s. car with a little four cylinder and calling it a day.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:34 PM

C55 AMG
Originally Posted by C55Newb121
That happens to be one of the reasons I bought that pulley as well.

I have not had a chance to install it since I bought it used and it was the start of winter time.

My plans are to get it checked and make sure it is properly balanced and then I will be getting it installed.

My plan is to have it installed by the end of April since I know I will have absolutely NO time outside of work to get anything done.

As long as you are fine waiting, you can get some feedback from me on the install and MPG change.

I don't imagine it would be too much, but every little bit helps! If I want to improve my gas mileage, I usually just quit driving the car like I stole it.
That's fine, I am just looking to find out any info I can from folks that have/are using AMS pulleys. I know the gains are most likely very small, just trying to figure out if anybody that has used it have been able to notice any gains.

I know when I had my ECU tuned I actually gained roughly 1.5MPG afterwards.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:36 PM

C55 AMG
Originally Posted by Newzchspy
Any advantages to this?? I've been thinking about it for the ML55.

This is what AMS says: How much power does this equate to?

60% (4 lbs.) reduction in mass equates to roughly 10-15HP gain at the crankshaft
depending on model and performance modifications currently on the
vehicle. The more aftermarket modifications currently on the vehicle
the higher the gains, as it is simply improving engine efficiency percentage.
I can say that the average conversion that I have heard between crank hp/tq and wheel hp/tq is usually an 18% reduction for NA engines. So long story short, I would equate it to roughly 8-12 rwhp/tq.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
2013 C63 AMG P31, 2014 GMC Sierra (6.2)
Tump43 has one on his C55. Hooleyboy had one when he owned his C55. As well, I know there are a few SLK55, W210 E55 and CLK55 owners that run them. Like others have mentioned, make certain it is balanced and installed properly. Opinions vary wildly as to its benefits. The ones that have them seem to like them..
Old 03-17-2011, 04:29 PM

C55 AMG
Originally Posted by wawy
Tump43 has one on his C55. Hooleyboy had one when he owned his C55. As well, I know there are a few SLK55, W210 E55 and CLK55 owners that run them. Like others have mentioned, make certain it is balanced and installed properly. Opinions vary wildly as to its benefits. The ones that have them seem to like them..
Thanks, Wawy! Do you know if there have been a lot of balance problems with these pulleys?
Old 03-17-2011, 06:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
ams pULLEYS

Thanks, Wawy! Do you know if there have been a lot of balance problems with these pulleys?
Yes, ^^^ can anyone who has done one of these AMS pulleys chime in and let us know the good and bad of them?? If they are balanced (like they advertise), why would balancing be an issue??
Old 03-17-2011, 07:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No, not that I'm aware of.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2002 C32, 2012 S550
Hooleyboy had a problem with his pulley, I don't remember what it was, but bottom line is AMS totally took care of him and expressed him a replacement without even knowing what the problem was.

To me, they have shown to be a stand up company who stands behind their product 100%.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Gramma_Benz
Hooleyboy had a problem with his pulley, I don't remember what it was, but bottom line is AMS totally took care of him and expressed him a replacement without even knowing what the problem was.

To me, they have shown to be a stand up company who stands behind their product 100%.
+1

AMS is definitely a stand up company. Olie is the man!

to the OP, the theory behind the crank pulley is sound. i can't really provide any reasoning behind the mpg, but definitely dyno proven gains for power with less rotating mass on the crank
Old 03-25-2011, 02:42 PM

2004 clk500 coupe
AMS Products

i use their pulley and tubular manifolds. first the pulley is a work of art. i had my pulley spun up at a local race shop with excellent results because of hearing various conflicting info, plus i have a top notch NHRA team in the neighborhood. pulley naturally was made on a lathe from a chunk of billet. not cast or forged then trimmed. this means when you look at the pulley you dont see little partial holes drilled in it like the stock unit that required balancing. yes the pulley and lighter rotating mass theory will improve power delivery BUT with the lighter weight you loose the flywheel effect. this means say your running 70mph down the road and start a minor incline on the road. the lighter pulley is gonna allow the rpm to slightly drop because the momentum is less and will require more pedal to maintain speed. now of course in acceleration the engine will spool up faster because of the weight reduction. weight is good and bad. some types of power delivery will benefit from a mod like this, and some wont. now their manifolds. i can be brief about this. they fell on very easily and appear to be made very well also. so far i have said that the pulley and manifolds are good quality and easy fit, no doubt. combined with good service from AMS. now after install and a few weeks to allow fuel trim to come into parameters and get enough clear weather to get out on the road. car runs great. dont know how much benefit from pulley or manifolds each, but the traction control lights seems to blink more often trying to control the wheel spin. keep in mind i am spinning both 265mm tires with modded differential. i cannot verify specific data but the increase is obvious. only seat of the pants evaluation. 19yrs at the local MB dealer, so my seat has felt about everything from 190's to SL65's & SLR's

Last edited by clkguy; 03-25-2011 at 05:35 PM.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:22 PM
Moderator Alumni

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
w203 m112
I have it - it made my car feel peppier - I dont know if it was placebo or not
Old 03-26-2011, 03:29 AM

C55 AMG
clkguy,

Thank you for the indepth review on the AMS pulley and manifolds. I just ordered my pulley, but have not had the chance to install it yet. I am looking forward to the MPG benefits, as well as, the hp/tq increase (however small).

Originally Posted by clkguy
i use their pulley and tubular manifolds. first the pulley is a work of art. i had my pulley spun up at a local race shop with excellent results because of hearing various conflicting info, plus i have a top notch NHRA team in the neighborhood. pulley naturally was made on a lathe from a chunk of billet. not cast or forged then trimmed. this means when you look at the pulley you dont see little partial holes drilled in it like the stock unit that required balancing. yes the pulley and lighter rotating mass theory will improve power delivery BUT with the lighter weight you loose the flywheel effect. this means say your running 70mph down the road and start a minor incline on the road. the lighter pulley is gonna allow the rpm to slightly drop because the momentum is less and will require more pedal to maintain speed. now of course in acceleration the engine will spool up faster because of the weight reduction. weight is good and bad. some types of power delivery will benefit from a mod like this, and some wont. now their manifolds. i can be brief about this. they fell on very easily and appear to be made very well also. so far i have said that the pulley and manifolds are good quality and easy fit, no doubt. combined with good service from AMS. now after install and a few weeks to allow fuel trim to come into parameters and get enough clear weather to get out on the road. car runs great. dont know how much benefit from pulley or manifolds each, but the traction control lights seems to blink more often trying to control the wheel spin. keep in mind i am spinning both 265mm tires with modded differential. i cannot verify specific data but the increase is obvious. only seat of the pants evaluation. 19yrs at the local MB dealer, so my seat has felt about everything from 190's to SL65's & SLR's
Old 03-26-2011, 11:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If I keep the C55 the crank pulley is something that I would consider doing. There have been enough members running these now over the course of a few years without any major issues. What was the installation like for the pulley?
Old 03-26-2011, 02:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
clk500
very easy 2 put in just need the crank holder tool
Old 03-26-2011, 03:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 CLK500
Originally Posted by buffyclk500
very easy 2 put in just need the crank holder tool

Where does one acquire this crank holder tool? This is probably something I would like to provide to whoever I have install the pulley so they dont screw up the engine....
Old 03-26-2011, 04:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
clk500
ebay or if some 1 is in fl i can loan mine out