C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Replacing supercharger pulley

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 09:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 C32 AMG
Replacing supercharger pulley

Hi I need to replace my supercharger pulley and I want to go the aftermarket route. However today I went to the dealer and they told me that since my supercharger/car is older, that in the process of replacing the pulley, that the supercharger could possibly break, and that I would need to buy a new one. Total cost would be somewhere in the 4K range. Would my supercharger break even if I took it to a Mercedes Specialty shop with an aftermarket pulley? What do you guys think?
Old 04-19-2011, 10:09 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
a car.
Sounds like a lame excuse from the dealership to have you spend several thousand dollars for no good reason. Put on a new aftermarket pulley and even if the S/C does break (which I highly doubt), you can find an aftermarket or used one for half that.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 C32 AMG
I've had my C3 on for a yaer or more with no problems.

It's almost impossible for a dealer to visually notice the difference between a stock pulley as well unless they measure it.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:37 AM

2003 C32 AMG
chris-thanks I figured they were trying to pull more money out of me, I just needed more re-assurance.

Beaker-Yes I actually told the dealer rep if I could do that and he said sure except if anything goes wrong they are not liable. Thanks for your input.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 porsche 996 turbo
its an easy removal of the s/c pulley. the bolt that holds it on is hollow so 20nm of torque no more or it will break.
not sure what pulley you are looking at as there are no s/c pulleys on the market at this time. there is a crossfire guy who machined his oem down to 66mm or a used c3 if you can find one and the word that e/c will be building a unit but not available for now.

so that leaves a oem unit which cost around 1000$ from the dealer and comes with a new washer and bolt. now is the pulley really bad or just the bearing? if its the bearing hpautowerks or needswings has a replacement bearing for around 50$
Old 04-19-2011, 12:35 PM

2003 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by 320 dreamer
its an easy removal of the s/c pulley. the bolt that holds it on is hollow so 20nm of torque no more or it will break.
not sure what pulley you are looking at as there are no s/c pulleys on the market at this time. there is a crossfire guy who machined his oem down to 66mm or a used c3 if you can find one and the word that e/c will be building a unit but not available for now.

so that leaves a oem unit which cost around 1000$ from the dealer and comes with a new washer and bolt. now is the pulley really bad or just the bearing? if its the bearing hpautowerks or needswings has a replacement bearing for around 50$
The dealer told me the pulley itself is bad. They also told me that the pulley and supercharger come as a package which makes zero sense to me (thats where I sensed the deal was fishy) I went on eurocharged's website and found a deal there for 1000 bucks for a pulley+tune special for the 32.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:37 PM

a car.
Originally Posted by AMG Child
The dealer told me the pulley itself is bad. They also told me that the pulley and supercharger come as a package which makes zero sense to me (thats where I sensed the deal was fishy) I went on eurocharged's website and found a deal there for 1000 bucks for a pulley+tune special for the 32.

That would be a crankshaft pulley. Whole different ballgame friend.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:51 PM

2003 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by chris.bachman
That would be a crankshaft pulley. Whole different ballgame friend.
...Damn so there is no way I can get a new one?
Old 04-19-2011, 01:17 PM

a car.
Here's what I'd do. Find a decent Euro shop near you, not a dealership. Tell them you think the bearing on your pulley is bad and ask them to take a look. I doubt they'll tell you the whole pulley is bad if it's not since they don't stand to make much money from that. If it's just the bearing you're looking at $100 fix and then you can shoot for that pulley tune combo from EC.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:18 PM

2002 C32 AMG
Are you making this sound?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5D78HhG9l9o

Your problem might be the bearing instead of the pulley.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 porsche 996 turbo
unless you did damage to the pulley itself the only parts that would wear would be the rivets connecting the spring metal to the backing plate or the bearing. if the rivets are loose from wear there has been a member that used aircraft quality rivets and reattached them . other than that the bearing is the only issue i know of
theres a guy parting out a c32 see if he has a oem pulley he will sell
Old 04-19-2011, 07:59 PM

2003 C32 AMG
chris-Yes I actually went to a Mercedes-only shop today and told them what the problem was. He said he would research and give me a call later. I probably have to bring the car in for a more acurate analysis...

doom239- I think it MAY be the bearing, but the belt or pulley kind of squeaks as it spins on idle.. goes away when I'm on the throttle.

320 dreamer- That's the thing, since the dealer told me the belt/pulley needed to be replaced I assume it is that, also because there definetly IS a belt that needs to be replaced because I can hear it on idle.. almost like a timing belt, but not as high pitched and annoying. Hopefully this shop- European Auto Solutions can fix it without a need for a new SC.

Thanks guys I appreciate the fact you took the time to help
Old 04-20-2011, 01:08 AM

'03 C32
Originally Posted by chris.bachman
Here's what I'd do. Find a decent Euro shop near you, not a dealership. Tell them you think the bearing on your pulley is bad and ask them to take a look. I doubt they'll tell you the whole pulley is bad if it's not since they don't stand to make much money from that. If it's just the bearing you're looking at $100 fix and then you can shoot for that pulley tune combo from EC.

See this thread, which has links to other threads on the supercharger pulley bearing topic.

I used this information to basically coach a capable independent MB mechanic to an affordable fix of my noisy problem.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...-replaced.html