C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

gear jerk

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gear jerk

hello all

i have been having lately a strange jerk in my tranny specially when the that car is cold and when i start to take of from a dead stop while either in first or second gear, did any one have the same symptoms in his C55 ?
Old 05-09-2011, 12:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 C63
It might be tranny slippage, and the jerk is the torque converter lockup. Mine does it as well when cold. Most noticable in "C" mode where you start in 2nd gear. Mine usually never does it beyond the first 2-3 minutes of driving.

I'm planning on taking the car back th MB to double check the tranny fluid. The issue became apparent right after they flushed my tranny fluid. I suspect it's not quite topped off.

-Mike

Originally Posted by sultan hamdi
hello all

i have been having lately a strange jerk in my tranny specially when the that car is cold and when i start to take of from a dead stop while either in first or second gear, did any one have the same symptoms in his C55 ?
Old 05-09-2011, 03:43 PM

thank u Mike , i hope its not somthing big becouse i just rebuilt my corvette gearbox and i would hate to have to do it also to the AMG , i will go tomorow ti one of the dealers to have them check for oil livel and maby do a flush also , will keep you updated , wish me luck
Old 05-10-2011, 07:58 PM

Angry

did the oil flush , changed the filter , put in new oil , reset the TCU , and nothing the problem is still there

the TECH guy said it happens to MB's all the time and even if i rebuild the tranny it will still be there he said the internal gears might have some play in them , so i calld 2 other of my MB's gouros one told me the ground on the tranny is dameged or is loose , the other told me i have to bring the car over and i might need a new tranny to fix this problem ,

please guys help tell me what you know
Old 05-10-2011, 08:37 PM

C55
I had a similar thing happen. I search the forums and it was similar to the TCU jerk described. The tech said oil was seeping into the tcu wire (?) and I needed a new tcu. Once I got the new tcu it made things better by 50% but I still have problems when cold. As well if it helps, it was noticeable from 1st to second but even more noticeable from 3rd into second if I set the car to M mode and let the computer decide to downshift.

did the oil flush , changed the filter , put in new oil , reset the TCU , and nothing the problem is still there

the TECH guy said it happens to MB's all the time and even if i rebuild the tranny it will still be there he said the internal gears might have some play in them , so i calld 2 other of my MB's gouros one told me the ground on the tranny is dameged or is loose , the other told me i have to bring the car over and i might need a new tranny to fix this problem ,

please guys help tell me what you know
Old 05-10-2011, 10:15 PM

C32
gear jerk

my c32 has the gear jerk between 1st and 2nd when it is cold,and it lasts for about 1-2 minutes then it goes away. I bought my c32 new in 2001 as a 2002 and had it to the dealer under warranty for this once or twice and it never went away completely. i now have 140k miles and i do not worry about it any more.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:36 AM

will if it only happens when its cold i dont mined but it stayes like this all the time and its realy anoying the hek out of the drive , please guys give more info
Old 05-13-2011, 09:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32/C55 AMG
My tranny jerk has gotten worse recently, I'm going to try doing the tranny flush and change the filter, but I also might replace the transmission mount.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:17 AM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
will if it only happens when its cold i dont mined but it stayes like this all the time and its realy anoying the hek out of the drive , please guys give more info
This topic is as old as the C32. There are several very lengthy threads within this forum already, with some great technical information. Please use the search function for "tranny jerk" or "transmission jerk".

The bottom line: almost all C32's do it. It can't really be fixed but it can be lessened. If it is getting really bad, you might have the dreaded glycol contamination from the bad Valeo radiator.

With a good search you will find the expertise of many very smart people that went through this over the last 10 years. The Advanced Search function is your friend.