Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 07:55 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 233 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Looking to buy a c32

Hi, I am considering getting a c32 after a long time trawling through posts on the forum and considering various different cars/options. I have read this thread about reliability so I am not asking about this
https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...-reliable.html
I plan on getting a ethylene glycol test done at the dealer before purchase and the common electrical problems seem to resolve with disconnecting/reconnecting the battery. I will factor in a new IC pump and pulley.

- Is there a way to tell if the pulley/pump are stuffed? I do not have the experience to be able to tell by driving alone.
- Most cars available here have 50,000-100,000 miles on them. Are there any significant costs/problems at this point? Do we have timing belts or lifelong chains?

I have experience modifying turbocharged cars (designing turbo kits/wiring and tuning standalone ecu's etc) and I have a book called "supercharged" by corky bell (great read) so I know some basic stuff. I also know I would not be able to leave a car like this alone for long.

-What is the best combination in terms of cost and reliability in terms of modifications? It seems a eurocharged smaller supercharger pulley, tune, new IC pump/radiator and kleeman headers are a good combination without going overboard? I would prefer not to touch the crank pulley.
-Are there any dangers with the mail in ecu tuning? Economy doesn't go out the window? Unsafe AFR's?

Can anyone recommend some more things to search for/read up on? Any help appreciated.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C32, 2011 VW GTI
Originally Posted by tw2
Hi, I am considering getting a c32 after a long time trawling through posts on the forum and considering various different cars/options. I have read this thread about reliability so I am not asking about this
https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...-reliable.html
I plan on getting a ethylene glycol test done at the dealer before purchase and the common electrical problems seem to resolve with disconnecting/reconnecting the battery. I will factor in a new IC pump and pulley.

- Is there a way to tell if the pulley/pump are stuffed? I do not have the experience to be able to tell by driving alone.
- Most cars available here have 50,000-100,000 miles on them. Are there any significant costs/problems at this point? Do we have timing belts or lifelong chains?

I have experience modifying turbocharged cars (designing turbo kits/wiring and tuning standalone ecu's etc) and I have a book called "supercharged" by corky bell (great read) so I know some basic stuff. I also know I would not be able to leave a car like this alone for long.

-What is the best combination in terms of cost and reliability in terms of modifications? It seems a eurocharged smaller supercharger pulley, tune, new IC pump/radiator and kleeman headers are a good combination without going overboard? I would prefer not to touch the crank pulley.
-Are there any dangers with the mail in ecu tuning? Economy doesn't go out the window? Unsafe AFR's?

Can anyone recommend some more things to search for/read up on? Any help appreciated.
They're not particularly reliable to be 100% honest with you. Good cars but that's not their strong suit. Prepare to spend a little money on repairs. A good independent mechanic who knows MBs will save you tons of dough, as will being able to do things yourself.

A typical mod package for a street driven C32 is a 185mm pulley, ECU tune, HE exchanger. I have this on mine (Eurocharged). This will be enough for most drivers' needs, I assure you.

NeedsWings' coolant separator and pulley saver kits are nice insurance. I put them on my car. There's a lot of debate over the Sprintbooster but I love mine. It adds no power but makes the car a lot more responsive.

After these mods, the bang-for-the-buck factor starts to drop off rapidly. K&N and Green Filters are worthless, IMHO. There have been fitment problems with the Greens and if these filters are not oiled properly they can cause more problems than they're worth. Stick with paper.

Some have tried cam swaps but the power gains for the astronomical cost haven't really been documented. Eurocharged sells shorty headers and a high performance torque convertor but they're expensive and probably only going to give you a couple tenths in the quarter.

Really no good "cat back" exhaust for these cars though some remove the resonator to get a little better sound. Supersprint will sell you a muffler but it's very costly -- about $900 U.S.

Some champion the SL55 Y-Pipe. This unit supposedly flows better than the stock C32 unit. But some dyno numbers suggest that this hurts overall horsepower unless you have other mods to go along with it. I'd leave this one alone unless you're trying to squeeze every tenth out of the car in competive racing.

Then of course is the Johnson I/C pump. This is more a a maintenance item to replace the short-lived Bosch unit. It'll flow better for more modified cars but probably won't add any power to a street car.

Last edited by Slater126; 10-09-2011 at 12:22 AM.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:28 AM

2004 VW
Made an account for this thread.

After 5 years strong in the VW world and am looking at a C32 amg as my fun weekend car. I looked at an S4, TT, M3, new stang, and others but the amg fits me the best. Good price, good power, and decent aftermarket support. I still recall riding in one at a MBZ event at a racetrack with a pro driver.

Thanks for the great info. I already confirmed with my mechanic and he has worked on c32s before. Definately be prepared for repairs. My mom had a 2002 C230 coupe and it had some "kinks" that the dealer could not figure out after a few visits.

Again, thank you for all the info Slater. I think the hardest part will be to find a nice one to purchase haha.
Old 10-09-2011, 01:26 AM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Thank you for the info. That sums up the modification side of things. I agree with the intake filters. Paper is great as you can throw them out and get new ones. K&N although ok require way more maintenance with cleaning and oiling (not that anyone does this).

I can do a lot of repairs myself with a good repair manual. I even have an engine hoist but I hope I will never need this again.

Any comment on expensive maintenance items at higher mileage? I see there is a timing chain so no need to worry about this.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:42 PM

2002 C32, 2011 VW GTI
Originally Posted by tw2
Thank you for the info. That sums up the modification side of things. I agree with the intake filters. Paper is great as you can throw them out and get new ones. K&N although ok require way more maintenance with cleaning and oiling (not that anyone does this).

I can do a lot of repairs myself with a good repair manual. I even have an engine hoist but I hope I will never need this again.

Any comment on expensive maintenance items at higher mileage? I see there is a timing chain so no need to worry about this.
Real difficult to know how to properly oil them. Oil them too much and you can foul up electronic components in the air intake system. Oil them too little and guess what? Dirt city into your motor. Either way, no thanks.

Common failures are well documented here and include seat heaters, seat control modules, stepper motors (that control the HVAC vents), suspension bushings, Valeo radiator, thermostat, intercooler pump, auxiliary water pump, crankshaft oil seals, and crankshaft position sensor (hopefully you're not in an inconvenient place when this one fails, which it will w/o warning).
Old 10-10-2011, 02:17 AM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Most of those repairs are reasonably easily with the exception of the damage done to the transmission if a new radiator is needed due to glycol contamination. And of course if a sensor goes then you better hope you are at least in your home city.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:01 PM

2004 VW
ive been looking at B5 S4s along with C32s but they just dont seem as nice of a car. A few of my friends have/have had the audi and I have never been 100% sold. It will be hard to find a nice amg but if i take my time I am sure one will turn up.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:00 AM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
I am also looking at a c55 at the moment. I would be perfectly happy with either. In fact the inability to easily modify it could only be a good thing.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32/C55 AMG
Here's what I posted in a previous thread. Check out the thread, has good info about both the C32 and C55 https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...me-please.html

Originally Posted by loudandheard
C32, slk32, and srt-6 can be had for very reasonable prices. I would recommend 2003+ for C32 because of a potential issue with the cams, never proven, and radiators leaking into the transmission. The radiator issue would probably have been taken care of by warranty or the previous owners. You can check by the looking at the brand of the radiator. If it's a valeo replace if behr you are good to go.

The intercooler pump tends to go bad and will make the car feel bogged down. The ecu will pull timing because of the heat, so the car will not feel so fast. The heated seats go bad on all the mercedes and they are integrated into the seat cover, warranty will usually take care of this issue. The seat control modules tend to go bad, but there's a fix or you can buy an updated part. Door locks can go bad, but the lock is around $100 and can be a pain to replace, but can be done. Sound system is easy to upgrade either with factory parts or aftermarket parts.

The engines are fairly solid, but there have been a few members that have had issues, but most of them were from 2002 and modded. I think it has to do with the cam lobe shifting over time, but it's never really been proven. With all mercedes you get the usual oil leaks. Most of leaks I have encountered are from valve covers, the front main seal, rear main seal, oil cooler, and power steering pump. Most of the seals are easy to replace except for the rear main seal. Maintenance on the car should be a piece of cake for you. Oil change is a piece of cake if you use an oil extractor and the oil filter is top mounted, filters can be found for $10-$15 and the oil is mobil 1 0w40. Trans flush is fairly simple, but you will just need the right tools and you can find the fluid fairly cheap now from ryder. The differential fluid change is very easy, just need the right tool. The coolant flush is simple and the intercooler pump change is simple as well. The coolant that I use is valvoline Zerex G-05, essentially the same fluid mercedes uses just half the price. I've made DIY for just about every thing I've listed and I have a list of fluids that replace the factory fluids and are usually much cheaper. Supercharger pulley tends to wine because of the bearing, but it's a cheap and easy fix. I've heard of the water pump pulley shearing off, but you can get a pulley saver kit which can help reduce over rotation from adding a larger crank pulley.

Brakes are easy to change, but you will spend a bit over $600 if you replace all 4 disc, pads, fluid, and upgrade to stainless steel brake lines, if you do the work yourself. The job is simple and there are various DIY's.

As for engine modifications, there are tons of options and a few are still available. There are various crank pulleys to increase boost, 178mm, 181mm, and 185mm are the sizes and it's recommended to get a tune to adjust airflow and it really increase performance. There's a new smaller supercharger pulley as well which increases boost and can be a bit easier to replace than the crank pulley, but that's fairly simpler too. Cooling mods are recommend if you do a pulley, usually just an upgraded heat exchange. Headers are an option if you can still find them. You have the option of shorties, equal length, and long tube, but most of the ones you can still find are short tubes. Mainly the major tuners still sell them, such as kleeman, renntech, and evosport. You can do a dual exhaust, but it can be a bit difficult to get the right sound, most people complain about droning. A lot of people just eliminate secondary cats and the resonator and call it a day, but everyone wants the c55 dual exhaust look. Intakes help a lot too, most people go with an sl55 intake which can be had for around $500. You can get the speed shift tcu tune from eurocharged, which also provides most of the tunes everyone uses and the crank pulleys. There area few options for custom intakes, but we don't have a lot of space in the engine compartment like the slk32 and the srt-6. With an intake, larger heat exchange, 185mm crank pulley, and a tune, you can be in the high to mid 12's if not better.

As for cosmetic mods, there are body kits that you can some times still find, brabus, carlsson, and a few other I can't think of. You can get a carbon fiber front lip for around $250, you can get a rear trunk carbon fiber spoiler for $100, and a rear diffuser for around $250. There are various options for wheels, but most prefer to stay with 18"s which do not come stock with the c32, you get 17"s. When you purchase the C32 try to get the car with bixenons because they can be costly to purchase after you purchase the car and it makes the car look that much newer.

Take in mind most of this info applies to the C55, except for some of the mods and some of the issues specific to the C32.

You could consider getting a kleemann c55k, which can be had for fairly reasonable prices if you can find them.
Old 10-12-2011, 01:58 AM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Thanks, I gave that a good read. One more question, what are stock oem parts prices like? Just the usual stuff, oil filters, air filters, brake pads etc. I am used to dealing with toyota's but I am not pretending its going to be anywhere near as cheap to keep the car going.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A teal Vespa with tassles and glitter. You know you're jealous.
if you want to get an idea of what parts will cost, oem ones, try some sites like rockauto.com, partsgeek.com, autohausaz.com. this will give you an idea as each place charges around the same.

I love my C32, yes the maintenance is a little more pricey agreed but if you keep up with it regularly like any other car it will last you. dont do so and like any other car its going to cost you.

I had the IC pump changed right after purchase, I have had the unfortunate pleasure of the crank position sensor failing... in traffic. just had the transmission flushed and a new crank pulley ( the rubber that dampens the vibration fell apart)

If you do your research and you know the issues you face and you still want one go for it.. I love mine!

--SX
Old 11-02-2011, 04:51 PM

C32 AMG
https://mbworld.org/forums/mercedes-...3-c32-amg.html

Other than any tuning you want to do you won't need to put any money in this one right away
Old 11-03-2011, 05:09 AM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Originally Posted by 03MB-C32-AMG
https://mbworld.org/forums/mercedes-...3-c32-amg.html

Other than any tuning you want to do you won't need to put any money in this one right away
I have already bought one and live overseas. Good luck with the sale.