C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

is this a factory iPod accessory, or aftermarket?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 11:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
eclectic assortment of cars
is this a factory iPod accessory, or aftermarket?

My car had this iPod/iPhone adaptor already fitted when I bought it. Looks like there is a USB port there too, but I haven't used it, nor the other ports. I just plugged my iPhone 3GS into it and it worked right away - it charges the phone and also allows me to use the steering wheel controls to navigate the tracks, though not very well, mind you. It only works when I select CDC on the head unit, and it only gives track numbers. Each time I plug the phone in, it just defaults to 'Track 1'.

I'd like to find some documentation for it, but I don't really know where to look. Does it look familiar to anyone? Thanks in advance.

Old 11-14-2011, 12:03 PM
cdd

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
N/A
Full Disclosure, my C55 did not have the factory iPod integration...

...but in no way does that look factory.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32/C55 AMG
Looks like they removed the factory cd changer and installed an ipod adapter in its place. The set up looks clean and if it works, even better.

What do you mean it doesn't navigate very well?
Old 11-14-2011, 02:38 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
05 CL65 AMG, 07 Ferrari F430, 03 Range Rover HSE
This looks like it may be the old Gateway 500 (no longer made). Your car does not have the ability to show song information in the radio... so that would be how it is designed.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aston Martin V8 Vantage
100% aftermarket done at an aftermarket shop. looks like a PAC module from the looks of that box that says "digital" on it.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks for the responses. I suppose I can try to look for the Denison Bluetooth kit for the thing too, and hopefully have full integration? I have a stack of invoices from the original owner, but can't seem to find anything related to the install of this piece.

When I say it doesn't navigate well, I mean just that - I can't browse by artist or song or whatever, as it doesn't display anything other than track number. Oh well. And it seems to be limited to numbering the tracks 1 to 99. Like I posted initially, whenever I plug the phone in, it just lists it as Track 1. Not a big deal, I'm glad I have the functionality at all, instead of having to shell out extra for it. That said, if, say, I have a song playing and then stop, then head into the store with my phone, then come back out, it goes right back to where I left off, which is nice.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by michael kuzni
100% aftermarket done at an aftermarket shop. looks like a PAC module from the looks of that box that says "digital" on it.
Heh...that's my early '80s vintage garage door opener...ignore that!!
Old 11-16-2011, 11:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Okay, so I figure this is one of Dension's products, but I still have a couple of questions.

Is there a way to determine which one exactly without opening up the dash and looking for the box? Also, is there a way to tell if it is the MOST unit or the D2B unit?

All of that is pertinent, as I hope it's the Gateway 500 or Blue, otherwise I won't be able to get the Bluetooth unit to interface with it. I investigated a bit with a local Dension distributor, and they quoted me C$120 for the Bluetooth unit. Fingers crossed I can just add that and be off, as it would be nice to have the phone functionality. The BlueAnt S4 Bluetooth speaker I bought has this annoying anomaly, in that once it's paired, and I'm playing music over the iPhone (through the Dension) it runs the music through the BlueAnt and not the car's stereo.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:10 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
05 CL65 AMG, 07 Ferrari F430, 03 Range Rover HSE
Assuming this is your 05 C55, your car is MOST. The bluetooth unit for that Gateway is a little less than satisfactory to most (no pun intended) people for phone functions and music streaming is spotty. However, you can add it to the Gateway 500.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cartronics, thanks for the response. Now I guess I need to determine if I have the 500, or one of the lesser ones. Once I do, then I can pull the trigger on the Bluetooth module. Then it'll be time to start saving pennies for one of your Comand Plus units!
Old 11-16-2011, 04:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Mosselman 190E 16V+ C63S+ Abarth 595
Must be a Gateway Lite after reading your description of what it does and does not do. I installed a Gateway kit in my car. extremely easy plug and play kit and since I was putting in the Brabus real carbon fiber trim, I had access to the rear of the Command system. Having the Lite may be why you can't view through playlists, artists, ect with no song name. I havent removed my ipod from my car in months, just simply due to the fact- I dont need to! The Gateway charges it and shuts it off when the car shuts off. Fantastic mod to any command
Old 11-16-2011, 05:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I think it's the 300 or 500, as it has the Aux, USB and steering wheel controls. I think I'm going to do some exploring on the weekend and see what's what. Here's the chart I've been looking at on the Dension site:

http://www.dension.com/car-multimedi...hone-usb-auxin

But then, is it possible to have MOST and CAN? Jayz, so many acronyms!
Old 11-21-2011, 04:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yesterday I did some exploratory surgery, and removed the panel beneath the glovebox and traced the wiring from the ports in the glovebox. I ended up removing a portion of the carpet on the passenger side, and then found the Dension Gateway 500 unit velcro'd to the back of the metal foot panel.

And now I've just ordered the Dension Bluetooth module, which looks like it just needs to be plugged into the 500, and then the microphone wiring run from there. Another Sunday project, along with converting the fogs to HID!

I'm not going to do many hardcore mods on the car, I just want to drive it. Maybe not even suspension mods, but we'll see. Anyway, next will be to order that reproduction Affalterbach shift knob we've been discussing in the other thread, and perhaps aluminum door pins and surrounds. I priced out a few OE parts that would be needed to add a W209 grille, with the grille and the supporting pieces (the OE parts and a flat hood emblem) that'll run me another C$300 odd. Pretty wimpy, huh?