C43 vs. C55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 04:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
eclectic assortment of cars
C43 vs. C55

I posted this in my C43 'build thread', but I thought I'd share it with the 203 AMG crowd too:

Since I am in the pleasant position of currently owning both my ’99 C43 and ’05 C55, I would like to share some thoughts and feelings on the two cars. As an aside, I only bought the C55 after it became apparent that my C43 was having issues, somehow related to the 55 engine swap that has been detailed in my C43’s build thread. That said, I was also jonesying for a newer, more modern car anyway, and likely would have tried to sell the swapped C43 at some point. As it stands, once I get the C43 running again, it’s going to stay in the family, as my parents(!) want to drive it.

So, anyway, onto my impressions. The cars are only separated by six model years, but I’d suggest there is a wider gap between them. The C43 is clearly a product of the ‘90s, while the C55 is a product of the ‘00s. Both are fantastic cars, but generally, I would have to say that the C55 moved the game on considerably. I recollect some discussion about the 202 AMGs vs. the 203 AMGs, some of it rather incredulous, some of it rather vitriolic. https://mbworld.org/forums/c36-amg-c...335i-nose.html

The gist of some of that discussion was that the older cars are ‘better’ because of front double wishbone suspension and being hand built in Affalterbach as opposed to being constructed on the line with the other C-Classes (although, of course, the engines were always hand built). After a couple weeks in my C55, I can say ‘Pshaw’ to that argument. The C55 is a better car than the C43 in nearly every way.

Power – here, there is no comparison. The extra displacement is felt immediately. Whereas the C43 peaked at 300 ft lbs of torque, in the C55 there is 300 ft lbs available at 2000rpm, and then it just keeps getting better. The C43 is a lovely daily driver, with more torque and power than most other ‘plebian’ cars on the road. The C55 is even better, in that there is even more torque and power than most other plebian cars on the road! The C55’s easy torque just makes cruising and passing effortless.
Handling – perhaps it was a function of moving over from the other cars I was driving immediately beforehand, but upon jumping into the C55 for the first test drive, I immediately noticed the steering weight. Much heavier than our LR3, much much more than my S2000, and maybe a tad more than the C43. One must not equate weight to feel, however, so to that end I can’t comment more. That said, while the C43 always felt lovely in a straight line (the V8 helps of course), it almost always felt ponderous to me in the corners, even with the Vogtland springs and Bilstein shocks I had fitted (plus piles of new bushings everywhere, and a new steering damper). Even with those mods, I never really had the confidence to dive into a corner. Again, perhaps that’s a function of driving an S2000 – nearly anything (save a Lotus Elise or other sportscars) by comparison is going to feel dim witted in the cornering game. But in the C55, I have had more confidence in cornering, the car seems more locked into the cornering attitude than the C43 ever would. Rack and pinion vs. steering box? Could be the answer. I can’t recall exactly if the C55 is slightly quicker in the steering ratio though compared to the C43. I think it may be though, 3.3 vs. 3.5 turns lock to lock seems to ring a bell?

Build quality / materials / interior design – in this category, I can see there being more thought into the C43. And by that I mean that the old school thinking from even older Mercedes pervades throughout. I keep reading about W124s and how there was ‘no expense spared’ in their construction, and while I have never driven one (I’ve seen one in a junkyard though!) I think that some of that thought is in the 202 still, but not really into the 203. For instance, the first aid kit – 202 has a nice little cubby hole in the rear parcel shelf specially made for the first aid kid; 203 has it held to the side of the trunk by a piece of Velcro. Maybe not so tidy, but then I get to use that Velcro strip to hold other stuff too!

202 has the Rest function. Loved it, very nice for Canadian winters when popping in and out of shops. 203 no Rest function, boo. Benz must have saved a bundle of cash in eliminating those hoses and the recirculation pump!

And I be t they also saved a packet in going away from a full size spare in the C43 (that Monoblock still looks brand new!) to an inflatable spare. Boo again.

My Canadian market C43 had wood trim as standard. I hate wood trim, but I could see how some buyers feel it is a nice upgrade. I know that the bird’s eye maple wood trim is a rare option on C55s, and I’m glad my car doesn’t have it, just simple, aluminum (aluminum look?) trim. Like that much better. I would have preferred my C43 with the Euro spec fake carbon look, and that is easy enough to achieve with some patience, an exacto knife, a heatgun and a bunch of carbon look vinyl.

And correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe the C55 has electrically operated power door locks, as opposed to vacuum operated as in the C43 (and other older Mercedes?). While the vacuum operated locks have a nice, smooth action, I prefer the electrically operated ones. For one, problems are likely easier to diagnose. Change the unit, as opposed to trying to track down a vacuum leak. That said, I never had any issues with the vacuum operated locks on the C43.

Another point about the locks. The range on the C55’s keyfob is much greater than the C43, more in line with what I expect and have grown used to on my other cars. I’m not sure if it was just my C43, but I had tried changing the batteries to no better effect, and the range was annoyingly short for the keyfob to operate. Yet another point – I see that Cartronics has remote start options for the newer cars that enable remote starting with the keyfob. I’d say it’s probably a much better option than the ever popular remote start modules that can be purchased in the aftermarket. As other Canadians would understand, these are very useful for Canadian winters (and apparently, Middle Eastern summers but for totally opposite reasons!). I’ve never had one for any of my cars, but the Cartronics remote option seems attractive. The keyfob logic can be reprogrammed on the C55 such that one press opens the driver’s door and fuel door, and another press opens the others. I’m fairly certain the C43 didn’t have that capability, and just opened everything together. Finally, my high mileage C43’s trunk lock had a tendency to let itself go in cold weather. Not nice. I had to manually lock it with the mechanical key, which was a pain in the winter. Summer time, no problem. Winter, it was a pain. Trying to load a pile of hockey gear or groceries or whatever into the trunk while fumbling with the mechanical key in the middle of winter was a trying experience. I would have replaced it, but the trunk lock is VIN coded and costs like C$650.
Instrumentation, the C43 has a very nice look. I like how the gauges are white in the daytime, and then darker at night. Much different than the other 202 cars. The C55 is again a step up from the other 203 cars, and feels much more modern, more in line with current Mercedes trends, despite it getting on seven years old now.

Seats are comparable in bolstering, but the C55 misses out on the adjustable, pneumatic seats from the C43. That was a lovely feature. Also cool are the contrasting white/black seats (which I don’t have in my C43, but kind of wish I did). That’s not available on the C55, but no matter, because the bolstering is quite good, seats are very supportive. It is clearly a sporting car in that respect. I have no trouble with the quality of the hides too, and the contrasting alcantara inserts are a nice touch too. But while the C55 lacks the pneumatic seats, it does have the nifty convenience entry feature (the seat slides back upon engine shut down, and then moves ahead to the last selected position upon start up) and memory settings. Those memory settings are not just for the seats, but the mirrors too. The bonus is that the right side mirror can be programmed to fold downwards when in reverse, a very useful feature – I’ve grown used to that function on our LR3, although both mirrors fold in reverse on it. And of course, no memory seats in the C43. Not sure if there was an automatic, downward tilting right side mirror option, or programming available for the C43?

The C55’s shift knob is a huge disappointment though – just a blank roundel? Boo. I’m going to have to upgrade that, currently pondering an Affalterbach laurel badged knob from formymercedes.com, but of course with black leather: http://formymercedes.com/images/S-19.jpg

I noted that the C55 has the old school Benz function of being able to flip the rear headrests down with the flip of a switch, just like in my C43. In the overall scheme of things, not that useful, but having gadgets is nice, right?

I was also quite happy to find that my 202 spec’d, factory accessory winter/all rubber floor mats fit into my C55 no problem! Saved some money there.

The C55’s HVAC controls are an improvement over the C43. Surprisingly, the C43, the most exclusive and expensive C-Class in 1999, did not have dual zone climate controls. My base model 1998 Volvo V70 wagon had dual zone climate controls. Boo. The C55 clearly has dual zone climate controls. Adjusting temperature is not as precise, as there is no digital display – but then again, no LCD display to burn out either. The temperature control knobs are a bit small, especially to use with gloves, but I’ve been managing thus far. I understand that W209 digital HVAC control units can be swapped in, but I don’t think I can be bothered.

The stereo in the C55 is much better too. Not that I had the Bose option in my C43, but my C55 has the Harmon Kardon option. I’m no audiophile though, so keep that in mind when reading my comments. That said, upgrading it is a pain, as it is one of those bespoke, OEM units – not a single DIN unit like on the C43. I had actually purchased an aftermarket deck with iPhone and Bluetooth connectivity for $300.00, to use in the C43, but I haven’t installed it and probably won’t install it. Probably I’ll put it into my S2000 at some point. But the point being that to achieve the same functionality on the C55, I would need to shell out more. Fortunately for me, there already is an iPod connection in my car that charges my iPhone and allows me to use the steering wheel controls to access the music, which is nice. I don’t have Bluetooth though, so that is next on my list of interior mods. I just need to ascertain if my Dension unit is capable of adding their Bluetooth module. If not…back to the drawing board, or rather, to visit Cartronics’ site to get something that will work for what I need. The ultimate from them, however, is the Comand-Plus unit, which features nav, Bluetooth, iPhone charging and rear view camera capability. Cool eh?

On the exterior, there is much more bespoke-ness, if you will, on the C55 than the C43. Whereas the C43 fundamentally just used a 202 shell with rolled fenders, the C55 basically has the CLK’s complete front end. So it has different headlights, fenders and hood (if I remember right) than the other 203s. That was all required to fit the V8 into the car, which I guess the 202 had no problem doing, but which is probably why the 203 AMGs were made as C32s – the V6 and the charger fit into the engine bay without extensive modification like the C55. So to go back to the handbuilt 202 AMG vs. line produced 203 AMG debate, which is more bespoke? I think you can see a manufacturer’s dedication to producing an exclusive model car by the lengths they will go to produce it. They could have said ‘nah, we won’t go to the hassle of modifying the 203 chassis to accommodate the V8’, but they did, and that’s cool. Reminds me of Subaru when they build the 22B (different assembly line because its wide fenders wouldn’t fit the normal line) or the 500E / E500 (which visited two factories before it was built) or Porsche spending a couple hundred thousand Euro just to homologate bespoke side marker lenses for the 997 GT3RS with the even wider fenders it had, as compared to the ‘normal’ GT3 or BMW and the E30 M3, with its almost totally bespoke body (front and rear fenders, and of course the rear windshield). Not to forget the 190E ‘Batmobile’ Evolution IIs.

I suppose the preference for the overall look of the two cars is completely subjective. To my eyes, the C43’s upright, rectangular headlights give it a purposeful look. It’s just a box, really, with a big engine in it. And you can of course draw comparisons to the mid 90s DTM race cars. The 203 body is much more elegant. I’m not a huge Star Wars fan, but I’m sure everyone’s seen the movies. You look at the fighters in Episodes 1 to 3, and they have smooth, elegant lines, and lots of chrome. In Episodes 4 to 6, they are much more brutish, purposeful and squared off. I think of the 202s as the spacecraft from Episodes 4 to 6, and the 203s as the fighters from Episodes 1 to 3. The C55 is much more elegant looking (my Wife loves it for that reason) than the C43. The headlights really make a huge difference, as from the rear, the cars look pretty similar, and you can see the evolution between the cars. But the headlights are a giveaway, and a revolution, if you will, between the two models. One effect of that headlight change is that there are no longer wipers on the C55, just squirters. Gives the front end a cleaner look when they are retracted. I love the look of both of them. I love the look of the C63 even more, as it is very deliberately brutish, with the very wide front fenders and the two bulges on the hood. But that, as they say, is another story altogether….
Old 11-16-2011, 04:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32/C55 AMG
For what ever reason the a/c options and the medical cubby hole were deleted in the C55, but not in the C32. I guess that was a way to cut a few corners. Both are very nice cars and if I ever get a chance I would love to own a C43 or a C36.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
'06 C55, '14 Audi S4, '09 Range Rover Sport, '07 Lexus ES350,
Excellent write-up Saaboteur. Exceptionally well written too. I enjoyed the read. C55 is a great car. I've had mine (an '06) since new and still look forward to driving it every change I get. Good luck with yours!
Old 11-16-2011, 10:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
2014 E350 4Matic
I started with a 99 C43, skipped the C32 and now have an 05 C55. I completely agree with your assessment. From every perspective, interior to exterior styling, handling to torque, the C55 is a more comfortable, more capable sports car. I did not notice such a great difference between the C55 and 2010 C63, perhaps the 2012 C63 will move me.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C55 AMG, 135i, 911 GT3, GLE43 AMG
Thanks for taking the time to compare your 2 cars. I was hoping you would do something like this, as you own both cars and can give impressions that would be far more accurate than somebody test driving or driving a friend's car for few minutes.

You've mentioned some of my favourite things about C55: effortless acceleration/passing given its power, very decent handling relative to the M3 of its generation (E46), a more direct steering ratio compared to all previous C-AMG cars, it's facelifted W203 interior with very good supportive seats and AMG specific gauges, it's unique front end and front outer fenders, and it's subtle and elegant look. Other things I love include the AMG Speedshift transmission's behaviour in S mode (very decent even on a track, including active downshifting when braking and holding the gear during a turn), and it's versatility as a 4 door sedan that could carry my family.

Glad to hear that you feel the same thing I suspected all along: that the W203 C55 has better handling than than the W202 C43. I suspect that on a typical lapping day at at racetrack with your average driver, the gap between the 2 cars would be signficant. If Sport Auto Nurburgring laptimes are considered, the difference between the C43 and C55 is really a quantum leap given the significant differences in power and handling:

C43: 8:51
C32: 8:37
C55: 8:22
C63: 8:13

I've had my C55 for 6.5 years, and I still love this car. It's not the perfect track car, and it's relatively stiff suspension and louder AMG exhaust make it more uncomfortable than the non-AMG versions, but I think it's a really good all-round car that can surprise many "sports cars" on a track, while still being a perfectly relaxing cruiser that can carrry 4-5 people on the road when needed.

Last edited by PC Valkyrie; 11-16-2011 at 11:35 PM.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C55 AMG, E55 AMG
Nice write-up! Feels like reading a motorsports newspaper column on a Sunday morning Hey, IT IS Sunday morning here!

Anyway, for the shiftknob, you can just buy the emblem instead and save $$$ from having to replace the whole shifter assy. That's what I did with mine and I got it from ForMyMercedes too. Jerry's a nice guy btw

Old 11-17-2011, 11:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I had forgot to talk about the transmissions between the cars. Part of the appeal of the C55 for me, over the acquisition of a C32, is the updated Speedshift programming, and the shift buttons. I'd like to get actual paddles in there, so I suppose I should hunt down an SLK55 wheel. That said, I will likely rarely use them - as PC Valkyrie has posted before, and as I've noticed, Sport mode shifts quicker than using the buttons. And it's not like the buttons seem to respond all the time either. I would suspect that the -11 C63 trans is similar - just a regular torque converter auto trans, but with seven gears, but I also suspect the 12+ C63s would be much different in character. I had an opportunity to drive my friend's '11 C63, but not very long or hard, as he was still breaking it in.

But anyway, in comparison to the C43, in regular modes, I don't really detect much difference in the trans 'feel'. Not that I shift it on my own a lot, but both are super smooth and lovely. That said, I haven't really driven the C55 hard at all. I must be getting old and we just had our first major snowfall, so it might be a while before I get onto it hard.

I just appreciate the car for what it is - very comfortable and very powerful. After having driven/owned an AMG, I couldn't fathom going 'down' to something else. I initially considered a regular B6 or B7 A4 Avant, but then that shifted to wanting an S4 Avant. Practically that is probably the best choice for me, but emotion led to my purchase of the C55, and also the fear of complicated and expensive maintenance on the S4's twin cam motor, mounted backwards in the engine bay. Yikes. I also considered the E60 545i - love the tech in it, afraid of maintenance costs on such a complicated machine and was slightly frightened off by a BMW mechanic client of ours, who I spoke to at length about the car. No major worries, but with higher mileage and all the tech, something goes wrong, it's gonna be expensive for sure. That and no really wanting another larger-ish car, as we have the LR3 and the C55 will seat four comfortably for a city drive. Longer distance we'll be in the LR3 for sure.

I also thought about the E39 M5, but the carbon build up issue are very scary indeed. I could have gotten into my alma mater, a mid 2000s Saab 9-3 Aero for cheap cheap, but they've just lost the plot in my mind and I won't go back. Volvo V70s were appealing, especially the R versions - but then the performance is a bit blighted, with 300hp optimistic (although of course easily upgradeable) but then it's not really a 'true' AWD vehicle like Audi or Subaru, with the Volvo being more FWD with part time AWD in my mind. So that was my thought process, anyway. The C55 is probably the perfect 'Alberta performance car', and probably only those who know Albertan roads can relate. In other words, they are just sh*t, frost heaves and potholes everywhere, really poor compared to other jurisdictions. And we don't have lots of twisties either, just boring straight roads. So straight line performance and comfort are premium values - and that is what the C55 does in spades. And there are a disgusting amount of pick ups around too - the typical redneck Albertan male, rig pig worker vehicle. So having something that shuts their noise out is very lovely. By comparison, my S2000 is a demon in the corners, but the suspension even dialed down to soft, is still relatively uncompromising, and I've had redneck pick up drivers do stupid things like trying to spew black smoke at me while I have the top down, intentionally matching the speed of traffic in the other lane, blah blah blah.

Thanks also to PC Valkyrie for posting the Ring times. It'd be interesting to see what the C36 did?

Chedeng, where are you located? I saw that formymercedes has just the emblem, but I thought it didn't sit flush if just placed on top of the shift knob? At any rate, my shift knob is getting a bit worn, so I think it's time to get a brand new one on there anyway.

Another question - in my C43, I was able to delete the ashtray with a factory cubbyhole, greatly increasing my interior storage. Is there a similar piece to get rid of the ashtray in the C55?
Old 11-17-2011, 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a car that can't do the throttle reset.
I miss my C36.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:41 AM

2005 C55 AMG, 2010 VW GTI (Stage 1)
Originally Posted by Chedeng88
Nice write-up!

Anyway, for the shiftknob, you can just buy the emblem instead and save $$$ from having to replace the whole shifter assy. That's what I did with mine and I got it from ForMyMercedes too. Jerry's a nice guy btw

+1, great write-up indeed... Plus I love when fellow enthusiasts gush about their own C55's, nice to know we all get that same feeling inside!

Chedeng, I couldn't find just the emblem you were talking about... How much was it, and could you link it for us? Thx in advance!
Old 11-18-2011, 12:59 PM

C55 AMG, E55 AMG
Here's the link. It's the 2nd one:

http://formymercedes.com/mb_results....ry=Shift Knobs

As for flushness, it comes with a somewhat thick adhesive pad. So I removed that and just used a glue from my wife's crafting toolbox. It's still not 100% flush but it definitely looks way better than if I used the supplied pad.

I'll try to snap pics of it so that you can see for yourself if it's flush enough for you.

Last edited by Chedeng88; 11-19-2011 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Typo: "thick" not "think".
Old 11-19-2011, 08:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
'06 C55, '14 Audi S4, '09 Range Rover Sport, '07 Lexus ES350,
I have the same emblem. It looks 1000% better than the plain shift knob. I'll attach a pic below. While its not at a side angle, if you look closely you can see it sticking up "slightly" above the outer ring. To be honest, that is hardly noticeable. I think it looks stock and really dresses up the inside of the car. Should have come out of the factory with a badge like this. Best $20 you'll spend. I attached mine using superglue. As Chedeng88 said, you need to remove the double sided tape that comes with it and completely clean the underside. I used acetone to remove the glue left behind from the tape. You could also use an epoxy glue to mount to the shifter.
Attached Thumbnails C43 vs. C55-007-copy-copy.jpg  
Old 11-19-2011, 04:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hey that looks alright! Good tip on removing the adhesive. I might just do that as it is quite a bit cheaper than buying the whole knob. I have some of the Affalterbach AMG wheel caps too, would be a nice match.

On another note, the shop which 3M'd my front bumper gave me a bunch of black satin vinyl to wrap the front grille. Nice of them, but this is also the fourth car I've had them work on for me. maybe I'll give that a whirl next weekend. But now I'm also thinking of getting an SL style single slat grille too. I figure that if I black out the stock grille, I'll also eventually have to black out all the chrome trim too, and that's a lot more work!!
Old 11-19-2011, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Saaboteur
But now I'm also thinking of getting an SL style single slat grille too. I figure that if I black out the stock grille, I'll also eventually have to black out all the chrome trim too, and that's a lot more work!!
Someone on here blacked out their grill and put the mercedes hood ornament on there and it came out looking really nice

also, I just ordered the AMG sticker and can't wait to put it on there... thanks gents!
Old 11-19-2011, 09:54 PM

C55 AMG, E55 AMG
Originally Posted by mgiannetto
I have the same emblem. It looks 1000% better than the plain shift knob. I'll attach a pic below.
Mine looks exactly the same.
Old 11-19-2011, 10:14 PM
pww

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
'05 C55 AMG
Awesome write-up, thanks! Nice to get a neutral/unbiased opinion after some of the arguments about the two cars.
Old 11-20-2011, 12:51 PM

We had a DC area meet yesterday, great group of enthusiasts, and I thought you guys would appreciate this: https://mbworld.org/forums/events-ga...c-md-va-3.html Then we all rolled down to an exotic car meet in VA... GREAT DAY
Old 11-20-2011, 09:04 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
you can get the digital climate control for the face-lifted 203 put in to the 55.

the rest function should still be there i think even on the non-digital control.

BOSE makes nice car sound system, but HK makes one better.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
Nice writeup. The C55 is a great car and is aging well so far.

You can look at regular 203 and 209 knobs, there are versions with the black background star. I found one off a CLK550. I was really itching to get an Affalterbach one, but in no way was going to pay 10x the price and hassle.

There is debate whether the 209 front end of the C55 was REALLY necessary, or if it was just a special step-up, as the M3 sedan did the same thing where they put on the coupe front end. Or was it MB's thought that people would fall for it, that we "needed" the CLK430 space?

Old 11-20-2011, 11:48 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
lol, if you take a look at the Brabus w203 C V8 and compare the engine bay to the C55 it's obviously there is no need for the CLK nose. everything up to the radiator support are all the same. the difference lies in the fenders, hood, and the bumper support.

when the C55 came out with the lifted interior there wouldn't be much of the selling point if it isn't that much different than the 32 in terms of looks. obviously a lot of people did fell for it.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Aston Martin V8 Vantage
Here's the link. It's the 2nd one:

http://formymercedes.com/mb_results....ry=Shift Knobs

As for flushness, it comes with a somewhat thick adhesive pad. So I removed that and just used a glue from my wife's crafting toolbox. It's still not 100% flush but it definitely looks way better than if I used the supplied pad.

I'll try to snap pics of it so that you can see for yourself if it's flush enough for you.

lol i just ordered it! thank you so much for the link
Old 11-21-2011, 10:34 AM

C55 AMG, E55 AMG
Originally Posted by michael kuzni
lol i just ordered it! thank you so much for the link
NP man
Old 11-21-2011, 04:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Aston Martin V8 Vantage
NP man
i told him that i found the link on mbworld.org and it gets circulated on there. he already knew about the adhesive.lol

he said, "OK great! some drivers remove the foam adhesive. This part is used on the shift knobs I sell, but drivers have found other uses.

You will also get a free detail brush.

Jerry"
Old 11-21-2011, 04:53 PM

C55 AMG, E55 AMG
Originally Posted by michael kuzni
You will also get a free detail brush.

Oh yeah, I got a free detail brush and Duragloss tireblack with my order.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'm going to relate a few more impressions after several months of owning my C55 now, which I picked up in early November. After spending more time with the car, I'm still loving it. It is a lovely daily driver, even in the winter months. Of course, one cannot expect AWD-like snow traction, but that comes with the AMG sedan territory.

Good winter tires help too. The used set I picked up shortly before I bought the car were a mixed bag of Michelins and Bridgestone Blizzaks, with the rears maybe about 60%. I just replaced those with a pair of Dunlops. We've had a really mild winter as far as my home is concerned, with only one big dollop of snow in late November, then mostly clear roads until just recently. Even so, I figure that out of the whole winter, there are really probably only 10-15 days in all when I would really like an AWD car or large SUV - which has gotten me thinking about G-Wagens, but that's another story, something which I can't fund at the moment!! . The rest of the time, the roads are clear enough such that while I cannot drive with summertime like abandon, it's not far off. So in that regard, I can live without the AWD - especially as we also have a Land Rover LR3 for my wife.

There are some other little bits that I miss about my C43. The shape, for one, is more brutish, but still quite subtle. Not saying that the C55 isn't subtle, as it is very much so except for maybe the four pipes out the back, but it is much more elegant rather than blunt. I think the blacked out grille on my C43 helps the aggression factor too. Still not 100% sure what, if anything, I will do with the 55's grille. The single slat and large Mercedes star has got me thinking though, so we'll see.

The really cold days have left me missing, very much, the rest function. When it's -30*C, shutting the car down and heading into a shop for 10 minutes makes a big difference, the interior can cool right down. Also, the 202's trunk light switch can be pulled out, such that it will kill the trunk light and allow the trunk to be open for long periods of time. While it's not a feature used very often, I just like the fact that they thought of it. That feature is absent on the 203.

I do miss my 43, I just need to get it running again, and I hope to do that once it gets warmer again and I can spend some more time on it. Frustratingly, I still don't know what went wrong with the 55 swap. Boo. That said, it's not like I'm going to sell the C55 and drive the C43 again once the latter is running properly.

Despite those minor quibbles, the 55 drives better in every way. I am still very satisfied with it. While I could finance a new or newish C63 (which of course just about everyone wants) I don't like car payments, so I am quite happy with the 55 and will continue driving it for quite some time. My particular C55 is getting on seven years old, but it still doesn't feel it, I don't think. I suppose when one thinks of the difference between a mid 90s car and a mid 00s car, there is a huge difference. My opinion is that there is less of a difference between a mid 00s car and current products.

For a car guy like me, the 55 is a really nice car at the moment. Very affordable, lots of fun for the price, and it still has more power than most cars around you. Oh, and you know what, since I've got the car, I haven't seen another C55 on the road in my city, only in for sale ads! Not that I see many C36s or C43s, but C63s are quite common.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Saaboteur
Despite those minor quibbles, the 55 drives better in every way. I am still very satisfied with it. While I could finance a new or newish C63 (which of course just about everyone wants) I don't like car payments, so I am quite happy with the 55 and will continue driving it for quite some time. My particular C55 is getting on seven years old, but it still doesn't feel it, I don't think. I suppose when one thinks of the difference between a mid 90s car and a mid 00s car, there is a huge difference. My opinion is that there is less of a difference between a mid 00s car and current products.

For a car guy like me, the 55 is a really nice car at the moment. Very affordable, lots of fun for the price, and it still has more power than most cars around you. Oh, and you know what, since I've got the car, I haven't seen another C55 on the road in my city, only in for sale ads! Not that I see many C36s or C43s, but C63s are quite common.
+1 I agree with everything you say... I reaffirm how I feel about my car (which just past 80k miles this week) EVERY single time I drive it, especially on the highway

thanks again for posting!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C43 vs. C55