Question on supercharger whine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2003, 09:22 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Benz
Question on supercharger whine

I have about 1100km on my 2003 C32, and now I keep hearing the supercharger engaging (whine) even when the car is idling or cruising at a very low speed (about 10km/h). The whine doesn't go away even if I hold onto the brake for a while. But if I step on it and then let off the gas immediately, the whine will eventually stop (sometimes).

Is this normal? I thought the supercharger only engages at a certain rpm/speed. Is it because the driver adaptive thing now recognizes my driving pattern, and the supercharger is always ready for "action"?
Old 06-13-2003, 10:16 AM

Audi 80 Quattro (with a couple of modifications)
Superchargers are belt driven off of the crank and are always "engaged" as long as the motor is running. Superchargers also have some degree of whine to them. It's inherent to their design. There are a few reasons why it is starting to whine more now than ever is probably do to normal ware and tare. If it's a really loud whine, or more like gringing sound the oil port may be plugged and should be fixed ASAP.
Old 06-13-2003, 10:56 AM
av2

C32 AMG
When the car was new, the whine was barely noticeable on the car. Now with 13000 miles, I don't remember hearing it anymore. Have your car checked out at the dealer. Why guess?
Old 06-13-2003, 01:14 PM

Audi 80 Quattro (with a couple of modifications)
Originally posted by av2
Have your car checked out at the dealer. Why guess?
That's a very good idea. Superchargers aren't cheap at all to begin with, let alone one that is on the 2003 C32. Making a quick trip to the dealer is far better than the supercharger locking up and leaving you stranded on the side of the road, just to figure out that Mercedes isn't going to cover it under warranty because of some technicality. And if it's just normal isn't it worth the piece of mind to know.
Old 06-13-2003, 03:38 PM
Almost a Member!

Benz
I am trying to avoid bringing it into the dealership, as its quite a hassle for me. If its something minor, I would rather wait till the next scheduled service. Thanks for the info anywayz.
Old 06-13-2003, 05:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32
Well if you want to play with it some you can un-plug the supercharger clutch and drive it around. If the car still seems fast above 3000rpm then the electro/mechanical clutch is stuck on. But other than that not sure what it would tell you.
Old 06-16-2003, 01:13 AM

my '02 had the same problem with the noise and the dealer repalaced the whole supercharger to the '03 model. But now the noise is worst than it used to be. So now it's sitting at the dealer again. I'll have to see if they are going to fix it this time.

Trending Topics

Old 06-16-2003, 02:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32 AMG
Originally posted by Rowdy Audi
Superchargers are belt driven off of the crank and are always "engaged" as long as the motor is running.
Not strictly true, on the C32 it has a clutch, so it is diengated at low speed.

As far as I can tell, the concern is whether the clutch is working correctly.

I do hear mine a lot, but I've been told everything is OK, so I've just gotten used to it!