C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Cluster change in my C55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 03:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C55 ///AMG
Cluster change in my C55

Been looking for a Euro spec C55 speedometer cluster for a while, due to my impending move to Australia. Hence I need the cluster to have a KPH dial.

One cropped up on ebay.de so I bought it tonight!

Am I going to have any major dramas in getting the mileage sorted out? Its not a new cluster and has 150000km's on it and my car only has 46000 miles, so bit of a difference.

I am pretty sure a main dealer cant alter it as its not new, could an Indy possibly do it? Or will I have to go to one of those hooky "Mileage Correction" people?

If I have to do the latter, will it leave any dodgy trace anywhere in the electronics. Obviously I will get them to match it exactly to what I drive it in at.

Cheers!
Old 11-26-2011, 05:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
While I don't know exactly, many cars (and hopefully this one) stores the mileage in the computer, not the cluster.
Old 11-26-2011, 06:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2009 C 63
hi
where are u now i am in brisbane queensland australia
Old 11-26-2011, 04:51 PM

Mercedes C32 AMG
Diddo to Vipers comment. From what I understand the millage is not stored in the cluster itself. It should update as soon as you plug it in
Old 11-26-2011, 05:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK55
Good luck
Old 11-26-2011, 05:05 PM

2005 C55 ///AMG
Guys, had it on good authority that it is stored on the cluster and the ignition system. If I plug in a cluster with a higher mileage than the ignition it will always update to whichever is higher. In this case the cluster I have bought has 90k miles on it and my car only has 40k, so dont want to be plugging in the cluster until I have had it set back to zero first!
Old 11-26-2011, 05:05 PM

2005 C55 ///AMG
Will update the thread once I have it all sorted out!
Old 11-26-2011, 05:37 PM

2005 C55 ///AMG
Originally Posted by aussie e55
hi
where are u now i am in brisbane queensland australia
Still in Scotland, moving over in March!
Old 09-27-2012, 01:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
10 C63/p31, 84 190/5.8L, 14 Audi Q5 TDI, 03 Suburban /8.1, 87 Porsche 944/358" 77 Ferrari 308 Dino
I had exactly the opposite problem....

I bought my C55 in Canada which had the KPH speedo in it. Living in the USA and watching the speedo during the day on the digital readout in the center was impossible to do.
My local dealer was useless when asked if I brought a US cluster to have my original mileage corrected into. So I bought a used MPH cluster and switched the MPH speedometer face into my KPH cluster. It is only a piece of thick vinyl that is not hard to do. Now that I've had both clusters apart, I know the VDO/Siemens part numbers of both faces. So anyone who wants to switch back and forth with KPH and MPH, it is easy and less expensive....and you don't need the stealer to correct the mileage for you!! You just have to find a VDO dealer to sell you the part.

I'll now sell my used KPH speedometer for what I bought it for, $275 USD. This will help someone else that needs the KPH face for where they live. I will also send the instructions on how to change the faces out.

McGyver
The following users liked this post:
JaYsFyNeSt (01-11-2021)
Old 01-11-2021, 01:33 AM

Help with instructions

Originally Posted by TobiasMB
I bought my C55 in Canada which had the KPH speedo in it. Living in the USA and watching the speedo during the day on the digital readout in the center was impossible to do.
My local dealer was useless when asked if I brought a US cluster to have my original mileage corrected into. So I bought a used MPH cluster and switched the MPH speedometer face into my KPH cluster. It is only a piece of thick vinyl that is not hard to do. Now that I've had both clusters apart, I know the VDO/Siemens part numbers of both faces. So anyone who wants to switch back and forth with KPH and MPH, it is easy and less expensive....and you don't need the stealer to correct the mileage for you!! You just have to find a VDO dealer to sell you the part.

I'll now sell my used KPH speedometer for what I bought it for, $275 USD. This will help someone else that needs the KPH face for where they live. I will also send the instructions on how to change the faces out.

McGyver
Hi Tobias, I recently purchased a 2005 C55 AMG from Canada. I brought it to the states and need to change the KPH speedometer to MPH without having to go through the dealer. Please walk me through the steps you took to change it yourself. Much appreciated. Thank you!
Old 01-15-2021, 02:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
W166 ML350 BLUETEC, W203 C55
Originally Posted by JaYsFyNeSt
Hi Tobias, I recently purchased a 2005 C55 AMG from Canada. I brought it to the states and need to change the KPH speedometer to MPH without having to go through the dealer. Please walk me through the steps you took to change it yourself. Much appreciated. Thank you!
Hi, I do have a USA car in Russia and want to change MPH to KMH, what do you think about exchanging?
Old 01-24-2024, 11:18 AM

c55
Could you please give me the part number and how to order the vinyl piece for MPH pls

I have the exact same issue. Shipping C55 to US from canada. could you please give me the part number and where to order the vinyl piece for the MPH please. Thank you. Urgently needed.

QUOTE=TobiasMB;5373180]I bought my C55 in Canada which had the KPH speedo in it. Living in the USA and watching the speedo during the day on the digital readout in the center was impossible to do.

McGyver[/QUOTE]