C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Yet another Offsets and will they fit thread!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C55 ///AMG
Yet another Offsets and will they fit thread!

Guys,

Just wondering if anyone knows if E63 rims wiill fit the C55.

They are:

Front 18x8.5" ET38
Rear 18x9.5" ET39

Spacers are not an option for me, as I am shipping the car to Australia in a couple of weeks and it will have to go through a road worthiness test. And as far as I know spacers are illegal in Australia.

Terry

Last edited by terrymcg; 02-13-2012 at 09:26 AM.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:04 AM
pww

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
'05 C55 AMG
38 might not clear your suspension, and depending on wheels might not clear your brakes. Not sure about that high of an offset on the rears.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:17 AM

2005 C55 ///AMG
Originally Posted by pww
38 might not clear your suspension, and depending on wheels might not clear your brakes. Not sure about that high of an offset on the rears.
I have 37 on the front at the moment but on a 7.5 wheel. So from my reckoning a 7.5 wheel gives more clearance, is that right?
Old 02-13-2012, 10:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
eclectic assortment of cars
Sounds like you need a wheel offset calculator!!

http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp

One thing to keep in mind is that if wheels differ in width but the offsets may be the same, there could be differences in clearance between the wheel and the suspension/chassis. And the bigger the difference in width, the more pronounced that clearance difference may be.

Last edited by Saaboteur; 02-13-2012 at 10:23 AM.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:47 AM
pww

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
'05 C55 AMG
Originally Posted by Saaboteur
Sounds like you need a wheel offset calculator!!

http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp

One thing to keep in mind is that if wheels differ in width but the offsets may be the same, there could be differences in clearance between the wheel and the suspension/chassis. And the bigger the difference in width, the more pronounced that clearance difference may be.
Trust me OP this calculator is your best friend. And Saaboteur is correct, a 7.5 wheel with the same offset as say an 8.5 wide wheel will have half an inch more inner and outer clearance. An 8.5 with a 37 offset, in terms of inner clearance, is close to a 7.5 with something like a 49.5 offset (I think half an inch is right around 12.5 mm?)
Old 02-13-2012, 11:03 AM

2005 C55 ///AMG
Yeah just used that calculator..so I reckon they will not fit or wold be too much of a gamble as I wont be able to try them first!
Old 02-13-2012, 04:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
eclectic assortment of cars
Don't forget - H&R (and other companies) make spacers to get you within the right offset range (or to try to get that 'herrafrush' look)

In this particular instance, I think those E63 wheels will work, but you probably want to be closer to 30mm than 40mm for offset. I believe H&R has a 5mm spacer that can help out there.

Another thing to keep in mind is ride height - if you are lowered at all, you might get into fender clearance issues. Sometimes it's mild and can be rolled out, sometimes it won't even be there if your fitment isn't as aggressive, sometimes it will only be an issue if lowered and won't be an issue if at stock ride height. There are plenty of variables to consider too. Keep in mind brake clearance, especially since we are talking AMG calipers. Offset won't always be the determinative factor vis a vis brake clearance, you need to consider spoke design (and wheel diameter of course). Probably not an issue in this instance, as the E63 calipers are larger than stock C32/55 items.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:04 PM

2005 C55 ///AMG
Originally Posted by Saaboteur
Don't forget - H&R (and other companies) make spacers to get you within the right offset range (or to try to get that 'herrafrush' look)

In this particular instance, I think those E63 wheels will work, but you probably want to be closer to 30mm than 40mm for offset. I believe H&R has a 5mm spacer that can help out there.

Another thing to keep in mind is ride height - if you are lowered at all, you might get into fender clearance issues. Sometimes it's mild and can be rolled out, sometimes it won't even be there if your fitment isn't as aggressive, sometimes it will only be an issue if lowered and won't be an issue if at stock ride height. There are plenty of variables to consider too. Keep in mind brake clearance, especially since we are talking AMG calipers. Offset won't always be the determinative factor vis a vis brake clearance, you need to consider spoke design (and wheel diameter of course). Probably not an issue in this instance, as the E63 calipers are larger than stock C32/55 items.
Trouble is, I cant use spacers as I am exporting to Australia. And they appear to be illegal there!

So it would be a risk if I bought..............