C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

A sunday drive through mt. tamalpais

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 02:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 C55 AMG
A sunday drive through mt. tamalpais

Just sharing a quick story about me and the c55 this weekend. I was going to drive up to pt. rayes (north of san francisco) with a bunch of friends but it rained that far north early in the morning in Sunday, so we cancelled those plans. I had been looking forward to a drive in the benz all week, so cancelled trip or not I was road tripping.

I set off by myself north towards the golden gate with no particular destination in mind. Normally I'd have gone south towards Rt 35 (skyline blvd) but I didn't feel like sitting in 25 minutes of traffic to get there (getting onto the 101 north from where I live is really easy).

So here I am, driving north with no other purpose than to drive. The second exit outside of Sf has the magic letters "MTN" on it. I didn't see any other part of the sign than that, and took the turn off.

Followed the signs that continued to say "MTN" on them for 5 minutes before I find myself starting to go up, and the roads start to get curvy.

Another 5 minutes and the quantity of traffic decreases, my fun level is increasing.

Another 5 minutes and a sign goes by that says "END 35 MPH SPEED LIMIT". By now the roads are full on twistys, and there isn't another car in sight.

Another 10 minutes of AMAZING go by and now I'm probably 5,000 feet up with the most MAGNIFICENT views of the ocean I've ever experienced. All this less than half an hour from the heart of San Francisco.

The winding roads and spectacular views goes on for a good hour (I went up the mountain to the other side then took Rt 1 back). Simply wonderful wonderful driving. I've never had the chance to push the car that hard on public roads before, and goodness it was an absolute champ. For being a four door sedan it handles wonderfully, throttle response is excellent AND I get to do it all in the comfort of a Mercedes interior. I honestly can't imagine a better Sunday afternoon!

So... whose coming with me next weekend?

EDITS: Grammar etc.

Last edited by ZachG; 03-13-2012 at 01:37 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:21 AM

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
2015 Chevy Suburban, 2017 GLS450 4MATIC, 1993 Chevy Corvette
Awesome. It sounds too good to be true! That is what these cars are made for. If I found a local road like the one you are describing I would keep it quiet and only share it with a select few. When you got home did you try to look into whether or not there was really no speed limit on that road? I find it odd that in a state like California a road that, from what you say sounds to have been maintained, exists that is not subject to public funding and, therefore, speed limit enforcement.

If I was in CA I would take up your offer in a second!
Old 03-13-2012, 12:49 PM

88 BMW M3, 11 BMW M3 Vert, 04 Porsche GT3
sounds awesome zach!
Old 03-13-2012, 01:40 PM

2006 C55 AMG
Originally Posted by mrobinso
Awesome. It sounds too good to be true! That is what these cars are made for. If I found a local road like the one you are describing I would keep it quiet and only share it with a select few. When you got home did you try to look into whether or not there was really no speed limit on that road? I find it odd that in a state like California a road that, from what you say sounds to have been maintained, exists that is not subject to public funding and, therefore, speed limit enforcement.

If I was in CA I would take up your offer in a second!
The speed limit question is an interesting one. I did some quick searching online and didn't find any 'official' limit. I figure the limit is 'Hey -- you see that enormous cliff 2 feet over from you? If you don't want to fall off it then be careful'. Hence you really can't ever get it up to anything that feels like 'speeding', but its still a ton of fun because of all the turns and the great views!
Old 03-13-2012, 02:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 C55 AMG, 2010 VW GTI (Stage 1)
great story
Old 03-13-2012, 03:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
'06 C55, '14 Audi S4, '09 Range Rover Sport, '07 Lexus ES350,
Originally Posted by AMG Sleeper
great story
I agree!

Although not a mountain drive, this story got me thinking about a ride I took last week. This particular day I had the opportunity to get on the open highway for roughly a 30 mile ride without much traffic around . Every time I get the chance to do this, I am reminded that this is precisely what Mercedes must have envisioned when designing the C55 - as this is the environment where the C55 shines the most (IMHO). So, cruising along at 75/80 I ease ever so slightly into the accelerator and, in what seems like just an instant, I'm into triple digit speeds. I weave around other cars like they are standing still. The C55 is so rock solid, so confidence inspiring that I feel I could drive the car like this all day, every day without putting any stress or strain on the engine whatsoever. Occasionally, I'd come up on a few cars where I needed to ease back a little (back to 75ish). Then once again there is an opening, I lean back into the throttle and the needle resumes its place back just right of the 12 o'clock position on the speedometer. I got to do this maybe a dozen times - all the while I've got an ear to ear grin on my face.

Whenever this happens (not often enough) I'll tell a friend or two about it. However, not also having a C55, they are unable to truly appreciate the experience - how effortlessly the car handles this kind of driving. It's like the car is telepathic - an extension of your mind/body. You see an opening, nudge the accelerator just a little and the car is exactly where you intended to go. You see a gap, push your right foot a little and you are through the opening and off. Just awesome. It's at times like this when I can only begin to imagine what it might feel like to drive a C55 on the Autobahn in Europe.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but it's drives like this that remind me why I purchased a C55 in the first place. I'm sure you all can appreciate precisely where I am coming from.

Last edited by mgiannetto; 03-13-2012 at 06:22 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 C55 AMG, 2010 VW GTI (Stage 1)
^ thx for sharing! on that note, i really LOVE how our speedometer goes up to 200, and when the needle is pointing up, it means you're half way there whenever i look down for a sec and see that, that makes me grin ear to ear!
Old 03-13-2012, 11:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2006 C55, 1995 C36
Awesome story, I can relate! Went to my Father's house last weekend, 2 hours away in PA. I added the 1 hour "detour" just to drive there through the Appalacian Mountains on Rt 30...not much traffic, but when I did get stuck behind someone I fiended for some dashed yellow lines like a crackhead fiends for some rock! The visceral connection of man and machine I experience with the 55 is unlike anything I have ever felt before. GOD I LOVE HER!!!
Old 03-14-2012, 12:54 AM

Volvo
Should have told us Northern Bay Area guys, I live in Marin, And take those "Back Roads" every so often with our Marin Car Club.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:20 AM

2006 C55 AMG
Originally Posted by OverDrive
Should have told us Northern Bay Area guys, I live in Marin, And take those "Back Roads" every so often with our Marin Car Club.
I'm considering going again next weekend. Would love to meetup for some 'back road' marin county driving!
Old 03-14-2012, 07:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 AMG, CLK550
Very cool story! That kind of drive clears the head for sure!