C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Wanting to change cars

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2003, 09:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wanting to change cars

I am thinking of changing from C32 to the new RS4, have you guys heard anything about the car? What do you guys think?
Old 07-03-2003, 09:41 AM
dfc

03' C32, 98' Civic EX
Really? New RS4 coming to America? If so I'd give up my C32 as well. Actually, I'd give up my C32 even for the current version of RS4. Any details?
Old 07-03-2003, 10:29 AM

I don't think RS4 would be coming to US.......we're lucky to have RS6.........
Old 07-03-2003, 10:47 AM

I thought that since the RS6 is coming, the RS4 should come too??
Old 07-03-2003, 12:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think only one of the two: S4 or RS4 will be coming. Since its been confirmed that the S4 is coming, so I guess the RS4 is not. I think there is not a big enough market for both cars to exist in NA simutaneously.
Old 07-04-2003, 10:14 PM
Banned

2003 BMW M3
umm...

I'm going to keep this post friendly.

Isn't the RS4 already here in the USA? I'm not bull*****ting you, but I could have sworn that a teacher at my highschool was driving one. It's white and I didn't think too much of it until I saw the RS4 badge on it. Imagine that, a teacher (female and old!) driving a RS4! No bs there.

As for the decision, this part might come to offend some, but i'll keep the offensive material down. I don't own a C32 but since it's a Mercedes, I'm going to assume the C32 and the SL55 handles atleast some what alike. On my board, a guy has had two SL55's and he said that the steering and road feel isn't there. He says that the steering is too "electrical." This might seem completely off topic, but I've heard that the RS4 has the exact same problem. Like your C32, it's plenty fast, but it doesn't offer the "feeling" of the road. So... I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you want a car like what you have now, that's a pretty big sleeper (wagon!), go for it. If you're looking for a car that'll give you the bumps and the feel of the road, look elsewhere.

Hope this doesn't offend anyone. I'm keeping my BMW bias down to a minimal. Just trying to offer some advice.
Old 07-04-2003, 10:43 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
ben xd, you sir, have no idea what a RS4 looks like do you. The RS4 was never sold in the US through AUDI USA. Some people might get the car through independent importer, but fat chance you'll see them in CA especially in Diamond Bar area. In Florida, maybe. Even if you bought a RS4 from one of those importers, you still won't be able to register the car at DMV because of emission restrictions. It would make it illegal to drive it on the street.

the only one I've seen from the magazine had a manufacturer plate for demonstration purposes only at Audi USA's headquarter.

btw, go download and watch TopGear's test on the RS4 with Tiff Needle as the driver, and then come back and say that the RS4 lacks of steering feedback.

anywayz, back to the topic. There's no word yet on the new RS4.

Edited...

Last edited by FrankW; 07-05-2003 at 01:06 AM.
Old 07-04-2003, 10:47 PM

Ben, you're entitled to your opinion but you're a bit off base here. Your assumption is patently wrong. The SL55 and the C32 handle NOTHING alike just as the E36 M3 and the E39 M5 handled nothing alike. Have you ever driven one or are you just going on what a magazine says?

The C32 isn't quite 'on rails' as my E36 M3 was (the best handling car I've ever owned) but up to 8/10ths it's very very very good. It has plenty of road feel although it does get a bit hairy toward the limit. The car communicates well, is fleet on it's feet and is very tossable... the SL55 is formidable but it's a different animal entirely.

As far as the RS4 goes, no, it's never been imported by Audi NA. In fact it looks like Audi isn't even selling an S4 here anymore. Either it was a grey market import or more likely it was 'badge engineering'.

Look, let's get this on the table. Your M3 is a fine car. I've not driven one but it's likely one of the best handling cars produced today. That does not make it the end-all be-all of cars. I suggest you experience ownership of a few cars beyond your M3 before you pontificate on the characteristics of cars you've never so much as set foot in. It'll give you respoect for those attributes you may not appreciate but are important to others.

Annnd, as to the original post... I haven't heard a thing about an upcoming RS/S4 but I know the outgoing RS4 Avant was legendary... were it me I suppose I'd have to wait for some details but I'd seriously consider trading.

Last edited by kaneman; 07-04-2003 at 10:51 PM.
Old 07-04-2003, 10:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Originally posted by FrankW
SL55 has steering by wire, C32 has rack&pinion steering.
Frank, I think you got confused. . The SL55 has SBC "Brake by Wire". The steering on a SL55 as with all the current R230 SL's is Rack-and-pinion with vehicle-speed-sensitive power assist and integrated hydraulic damper.
Old 07-05-2003, 12:30 AM

2003 C32
Re: umm...

Originally posted by BEn xD
Hope this doesn't offend anyone. I'm keeping my BMW bias down to a minimal. Just trying to offer some advice.
Don't take this the wrong way, but:

Your advice is utterly worthless. My dog knows more about cars than you. At least he's been in an M3, a C32, and an S4.
Old 07-05-2003, 01:07 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally posted by awiner
Frank, I think you got confused. . The SL55 has SBC "Brake by Wire". The steering on a SL55 as with all the current R230 SL's is Rack-and-pinion with vehicle-speed-sensitive power assist and integrated hydraulic damper.
I do know that it has brake by wire like the e-class. I guess I was think it has steering by wire because MB had that SL fitted with some joystick to drive the car some times ago as a prototype.
Old 07-05-2003, 03:55 AM
Banned

2003 BMW M3
Frankw...

You don't believe me? It's summer so I doubt you'll see it in the teachers parking lot, but there is summer school going on. So... since you are very local, I suggest you come to DBHS and check the car out for yourself. It's the parking lot closer to the gym (closer to the gas station) and it's white. It usually parks closer to the street too. Maybe you should check it out. I've seen it with my own eyes. I'm not going to force you to believe me. I quite frankly don't give a crap. Just thought you might want to check it out for yourself. It could be a real kick in the nuts seeing a RS4 in the US.

Kaneman...
I didn't base my information on magazine articles. I fact, if you go on the BMW board (I'll assume you won't) you'll find quite a few people who own SL55's who complain about the steering. And quite surprisingly, they also complain about the feel of the RS4. And yet quite surprisingly again, they compare the steering of both of the cars and say that they are both very "dull" if you will. Sorry, but I'm going to trust my fellow board members. Afterall, he has been in two SL55's and he has been in the Gumball twice and the Player's Run once. Guess what? Doesn't like the SL55. Guess what? Thinks it handles like the RS4. Not very "inspirational." Take it for what you will.

Ugh. This is what I get for trying to be friendly? Not my bowl of soup...
Old 07-05-2003, 05:00 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
yeah, I'll check it out if I got the time on my hand. It'll be a kicker to show someone that doesn't know the difference between a RS4 avant and a S4 avant too.

post a link where you got all your info from.

anyhow, talk is cheap...lets see some more picture of your M3.
Old 07-05-2003, 06:02 PM

BEn xD...

Are you talking about Lonman?
Old 07-05-2003, 06:57 PM
Almost a Member!

2001 C320, 2001 Honda Civic, 1999 Lexus ES300.
I think Ben is talking about the Acura RSX, and is confussed. The teach, must have gotten it in white, with the grey interior.

TF

Last edited by two.face; 07-05-2003 at 07:00 PM.
Old 07-05-2003, 11:34 PM

Frankw...

You don't believe me? It's summer so I doubt you'll see it in the teachers parking lot, but there is summer school going on. So... since you are very local, I suggest you come to DBHS and check the car out for yourself. It's the parking lot closer to the gym (closer to the gas station) and it's white. It usually parks closer to the street too. Maybe you should check it out. I've seen it with my own eyes. I'm not going to force you to believe me. I quite frankly don't give a crap. Just thought you might want to check it out for yourself. It could be a real kick in the nuts seeing a RS4 in the US.

Kaneman...
I didn't base my information on magazine articles. I fact, if you go on the BMW board (I'll assume you won't) you'll find quite a few people who own SL55's who complain about the steering. And quite surprisingly, they also complain about the feel of the RS4. And yet quite surprisingly again, they compare the steering of both of the cars and say that they are both very "dull" if you will. Sorry, but I'm going to trust my fellow board members. Afterall, he has been in two SL55's and he has been in the Gumball twice and the Player's Run once. Guess what? Doesn't like the SL55. Guess what? Thinks it handles like the RS4. Not very "inspirational." Take it for what you will.

Ugh. This is what I get for trying to be friendly? Not my bowl of soup...
And unsurprisingly again you are completely missing the point. No one said anything at all about the SL55 except you when you made an incorrect assumption about the C32's handling when you 'assumed' it handled like the SL55 just because it's a Mercedes. So, Ben, by your logic, the Suburban must handle like the Z06 Corvette and the H2 Hummer because they're all made by Chevrolet. Right? I didn't think so.

I'm not doubting the veracity of your source on the Bimmer messageboard. I spend quite a bit of time on Roadfly and was very active back when it was bimmer.org on the E39 M5 board... all I'm doubting is your ability to recognize when a car has had a fake badge stuck on it (Ever seen a CLK32 ///AMG? They don't exist but some feel the need to stick an emblem on their car anyway. THAT'S what I'm talking about.). I'm also taking issue with your 'assumptions'. I'll try to be nice here too... kid, you assume too damn much.
Old 07-06-2003, 03:04 AM
Banned

2003 BMW M3
%$@#ing board didn't post and I have to retype every cursed thing. I'm going to keep it short. HK is a very tiring city.

FrankW...
I'm pretty darn sure that that RS4 is a genuine RS4. Just like those Skylines that I "thought" I saw about 6 years ago. Remember those? That was before Motorex was that well known and you wouldn't have believed me back then. Check it out for yourself. My cousin would be really happy to see your car also, since he is a big AMG nut. My name isn't Ben BTW. This is his account. Check out the RS4 when you have the time. It might not be there now, but it'll be there for sure during the regular school year.

Kaneman...
Reread what I wrote please. I didn't base what I wrote on "assumptions." I based it on true words said by a trusted board member that has more automotive experience than you and I combined. I'm going to trust his word about what he had to say. Sorry if you can't feel the same. It's your loss. Not mine.

And for you FrankW... here are the requested pictures.
Old 07-06-2003, 03:08 AM
Banned

2003 BMW M3
And here's more...

If you want more pics, just Go Here
Descriptions and more pics available there. My car. My cousins name. Doesn't sound right, but that's the way it is in real life. Enjoy the pics.
Old 07-06-2003, 05:58 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
first of all, great pictures. I've seen the car in person at SB's bimmerfest. who can forget the car with the gucci insert.

second, if it is indeed ur car, why would you or your cousin bother to pshop his name on the pictures?

third, I'm not doubting that this could be really your car. For all we don't know, your parents could be rich as hell and spoiling you with all the things you want because you are their only son. that's just my guess, you tell me!

edit: BTW THANKS FOR THE LINK "I don't even have my license yet. =[ Oh well, I have the M3 to thrash around when I'm ready.
"

Last edited by FrankW; 07-06-2003 at 06:02 AM.
Old 07-06-2003, 07:33 PM

Re: umm...

As for the decision, this part might come to offend some, but i'll keep the offensive material down. I don't own a C32 but since it's a Mercedes, I'm going to assume the C32 and the SL55 handles atleast some what alike.
Excuse me, you were saying you didn't assume anything???

You're a better argument for birth control than sitting next to a screaming baby on a plane for 45 minutes.

Last edited by kaneman; 07-06-2003 at 07:35 PM.
Old 07-06-2003, 09:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32
i've seen your car!! it was at bimmerfest west wasn't it?? there was a Gucci interior there. i think....

Jerry
Old 07-07-2003, 03:05 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
edit: Jerry, I changed my mine. I'm calling the bluff.

check the forum for a new thread.

Last edited by FrankW; 07-07-2003 at 04:15 AM.
Old 07-07-2003, 07:42 AM

wrong post, sorry.

Last edited by jleung88; 07-07-2003 at 07:54 AM.