Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 07:03 PM
pww

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
'05 C55 AMG
Considering the Focus ST

Let me preface this by saying I love my C55

That said, I am in college, and as I begin paying for everything by myself, I notice the C55 isn't the best option for me (gas, insurance, reliability)..

I've been looking a lot at the new Focus ST, and it seems to be better in all three of these categories. My AMG is approaching 70k as we speak, and while it currently has no mechanical issues, I have been putting a lot of money into repairing it so far (even minor things can be quite expensive as you all know).

In my position, considering a car that I will keep through my next two years of college, and own once out of college and hold onto for a while, what would you all do? I know it's easy to say keep the C55, but being practical should I get rid of it?
Old 07-16-2012, 07:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
eclectic assortment of cars
If the C55 is paid for, then I wouldn't be fussing. If it's not, then I suggest you probably need to reassess your priorities, and it seems like you are.

When I was in university, I was mucking around with my old Saab. No loan or financing on it, it was about 10 years old by the time I bought it for $4,000.00, but then I spent all my available time and extra cash on it, modifying the hell out of it. As you get older (and ostensibly wiser and more responsible!) those other responsibilities do come into play, into one's reasoning for everything.

A good friend of mine is married and has a five year old kid at home. A couple months ago, they found out his wife was pregnant again - with twins. Off he went to buy a new Honda Odyssey. Such reasoning would not have come into the thought process at all when we were younger!
Old 07-16-2012, 07:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
2002 C32 AMG, 2013 GLK 350/4, 2015 E63S AMG Wagon
If you are willing to give up performance (100HP over the Focus ST), for
$25K or so, Ford Focus ST is a good choice as far as the MPG is concerned. The insurance may not make much difference. Reliability is unknown. Some other cars to concider: VW GTI, Subaru WRX and Mazdaspeed3.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:29 PM
pww

'05 C55 AMG
It is all paid for, that's no problem. Thanks for your words of advice! My main problem is like you I spend all my time trying to modify my car, and if I didn't have the other major drains that this car provides me money wise, I could enjoy this passion more.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 C32
Originally Posted by pww
It is all paid for, that's no problem. Thanks for your words of advice! My main problem is like you I spend all my time trying to modify my car, and if I didn't have the other major drains that this car provides me money wise, I could enjoy this passion more.
You're in college and have a C55 that's paid for? What he hell did I do wrong in my youth?
Old 07-16-2012, 08:03 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
2002 W203 C32 AMG / 1997 Toyota Corolla AE110
Hahaa...made me feel very sad to my college life too.....just a old corolla.....
Old 07-16-2012, 08:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cee Fiddy Five
Would you be paying for the Focus?

I think it'll be a wash between maintaining your C55 and buying a new car. I'd keep the C55.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
eclectic assortment of cars
Well, if it's paid for, then I would just keep it and get to know your local independent Benz mechanic well, get copy of the WIS, subscribe to the EPC and set aside a bit of money for repairs. Oh, and learn some self restraint with regards to mods and such! But your car is pretty modified already, right? So just leave it as is and don't think about getting the Kleeman supercharger kit or anything like that. The C55 is generally pretty reliable as far as AMGs come. The motor is bulletproof - I was reading a 'used car bargain guide' article from CAR magazine yesterday IIRC, they basically said the SL55's motor is bulletproof. If they can label the K motor bulletproof, then for damn certain the NA version is double bulletproof and can withstand a direct nuclear strike. If need be, you can source a trans for about $2500-3000. Rent a hoist and you can have it in and our in a day I suspect. But you don't really hear of guys thrashing their trans. Granted, other bits and pieces can get expensive - it is a Mercedes after all - but compared to the higher end Mercs, it's not bad. Coil spring suspension, big, unstressed V8, decent room - all good.

If you're going to buy something new, then you're probably looking at car payments (bleah) and for certain huge depreciation even 12 months down the line. Whereas the C55 is pretty damn affordable to buy right now - it was a $70-80k car new here in Canada. And if you get into a Focus, you will lose that sense of luxury and sportiness (but gain the new car feel and smell, plus of course fuel economy and ostensible reliability). Let me rephrase about sportiness - the Focus will still be sporty, but in a different way than the C55. And since it's EcoBoost, what's to stop you from modifying that too? The next thing you know, you're looking at intake/exhaust/chip tuning/bigger turbo/wheels/LSD/big brakes/suspension....if anything, there's more temptation to modify with a boosted car!

Taking out the fuel economy factor (which can be huge of course), then I venture that the remaining factors to consider are reliability and parts costs. But do your own maintenance and preventative maintenance, hunt hunt hunt for parts deals and you should be okay. And re: fuel economy - drive a turbo car hard and it's not substantially better in fuel economy than a large displacement V8.

I do earn a decent income now that I'm 'established' but I'm cheap as hell and will ferret out the best deal on parts wherever. Think of this too - I've been searching for my own DAS/Star diagnosis. If, say, the dealer charges you $200 to hook up for one shot diagnosis (or my local indy will charge $50) then do that several times and you've bought yourself a Chinese replica DAS/Star.

Bless you guys in the US - you can have most parts overnighted (or at least a reasonable period of time to arrive) and pay 50% of what I would pay up here. Just need to know where to look.

Last edited by Saaboteur; 07-16-2012 at 08:37 PM.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:51 PM
pww

'05 C55 AMG
Originally Posted by Saaboteur
Well, if it's paid for, then I would just keep it and get to know your local independent Benz mechanic well, get copy of the WIS, subscribe to the EPC and set aside a bit of money for repairs. Oh, and learn some self restraint with regards to mods and such! But your car is pretty modified already, right? So just leave it as is and don't think about getting the Kleeman supercharger kit or anything like that. The C55 is generally pretty reliable as far as AMGs come. The motor is bulletproof - I was reading a 'used car bargain guide' article from CAR magazine yesterday IIRC, they basically said the SL55's motor is bulletproof. If they can label the K motor bulletproof, then for damn certain the NA version is double bulletproof and can withstand a direct nuclear strike. If need be, you can source a trans for about $2500-3000. Rent a hoist and you can have it in and our in a day I suspect. But you don't really hear of guys thrashing their trans. Granted, other bits and pieces can get expensive - it is a Mercedes after all - but compared to the higher end Mercs, it's not bad. Coil spring suspension, big, unstressed V8, decent room - all good.

If you're going to buy something new, then you're probably looking at car payments (bleah) and for certain huge depreciation even 12 months down the line. Whereas the C55 is pretty damn affordable to buy right now - it was a $70-80k car new here in Canada. And if you get into a Focus, you will lose that sense of luxury and sportiness (but gain the new car feel and smell, plus of course fuel economy and ostensible reliability). Let me rephrase about sportiness - the Focus will still be sporty, but in a different way than the C55. And since it's EcoBoost, what's to stop you from modifying that too? The next thing you know, you're looking at intake/exhaust/chip tuning/bigger turbo/wheels/LSD/big brakes/suspension....if anything, there's more temptation to modify with a boosted car!

Taking out the fuel economy factor (which can be huge of course), then I venture that the remaining factors to consider are reliability and parts costs. But do your own maintenance and preventative maintenance, hunt hunt hunt for parts deals and you should be okay. And re: fuel economy - drive a turbo car hard and it's not substantially better in fuel economy than a large displacement V8.

I do earn a decent income now that I'm 'established' but I'm cheap as hell and will ferret out the best deal on parts wherever. Think of this too - I've been searching for my own DAS/Star diagnosis. If, say, the dealer charges you $200 to hook up for one shot diagnosis (or my local indy will charge $50) then do that several times and you've bought yourself a Chinese replica DAS/Star.

Bless you guys in the US - you can have most parts overnighted (or at least a reasonable period of time to arrive) and pay 50% of what I would pay up here. Just need to know where to look.

Now that's the answer I needed.

Thanks for the wisdom man, and putting things in perspective.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
I'll summarize what he said - you're dumb, start over and think again. Smack the sense into you.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 Chevrolet SS, 2006 Cadillac STS-V
If it's paid for, KEEP IT! Don't take on unnecessary debt! $400 a month will pay for quite a bit of gas and (possible) repairs. If you've got an extra $400 a month, give it a name. Pretend you're making a car payment and put it in a money market account and if a repair comes up, you won't be scrambling for money. If you don't have any repairs, all the better. Then you could use that money later for a down payment on a house.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:32 PM
pww

'05 C55 AMG
Originally Posted by Viper98912
I'll summarize what he said - you're dumb, start over and think again. Smack the sense into you.
Originally Posted by 91RS
If it's paid for, KEEP IT! Don't take on unnecessary debt! $400 a month will pay for quite a bit of gas and (possible) repairs. If you've got an extra $400 a month, give it a name. Pretend you're making a car payment and put it in a money market account and if a repair comes up, you won't be scrambling for money. If you don't have any repairs, all the better. Then you could use that money later for a down payment on a house.

Thanks for the tips guys, and the smacking. I'll be keeping the car. And whoever said spend less on modding... well I may be trying to be sensible but we let ourselves go in some areas in life right?

I've been working more recently so I'll be sure to start keeping a set amount aside a month, and try to spend even less in other areas of my life.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
e36 318i, 2004 sti
Lol I understand. I had a C55 when I went back to high school for senior year! It was awesome! Besides everyone thinking they would beat me in a race
Old 07-16-2012, 10:52 PM
pww

'05 C55 AMG
Originally Posted by MBfinatic
Lol I understand. I had a C55 when I went back to high school for senior year! It was awesome! Besides everyone thinking they would beat me in a race
Honestly I don't mind that people don't know how fast it is. I've actually considered debadging the C55 and AMG badges, but we will see. Kinda worried about the condition of the paint in that area, and how it will look once off.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts
C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
Depending on your financial situation..... (parents paying for school/living exp VS YOU paying all this)...... your answer will vary.

In my case I paid for living exp/housing/most of my school expenses... so the answer for me back in the day was to sell my beloved restored 400hp 1969 firebird and use the extra cash to buy a 75K mile toyota celica... (yeah I know.... but I had to get the chicks on my own... no help from my wheels)...... then put the extra cash away for expenses.

I sold the yota after graduation for about what I paid for it.... with another 100K miles on it. those things are like timex watches...... ugly as hell but run for ever....

Then buy your "trophy car" after you land that job and are in the right financial position to own it.

Honestly I never really missed my car while in school.... there is sooo much else to focus on....... I'd save the car hobby for when you are back in the rat-race with monthly cheese coming in, and no exams to worry about. (old guy advise )

GL......

Last edited by betrezra; 07-17-2012 at 05:52 AM.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts
C63 AMG, P30
I would keep it! Buying a new car isn't going to be much cheaper anyways. Plus, the C55 is a sweeet ride. I'm in college too, and I've kept my C32. Granted, under a cover since I didn't bring it to my college. What college to you go to?
Old 07-17-2012, 11:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2015.5 Volvo V60 Polestar
I would also def keep it. I also love the focus ST, but with options they can near 30k new. I just can justify buying one when so much out there for that much money used.

Low mile W211 E55 or a Focus ST? Tough choice. lol.

If it was this in question, my answer may be different.

But alas, in the US we don't even get US companies good stuff.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
e36 318i, 2004 sti
Thats what im saying. The good stuff for everyone else stays home..
Old 07-17-2012, 12:24 PM

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
'03C32 Obsidian Black, '76Toyota Celica GT TRD, '12R350 4matic Arctic White, '06 ML 350 arctic white
Keep it.....but if you do sell, I got dibs on ur rims!!!
Old 07-17-2012, 04:40 PM
pww

'05 C55 AMG
Thanks again everyone, and while I am listening to almost all your advice, I can't listen to the stop modding one and I've got some interesting stuff in the works.

Originally Posted by W203Ramos
Those will actually be for sale pretty soon (knock on wood) waiting for my new set to come in.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:21 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 233 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
I have a celica alltrac. I bought it in university. I modded it a lot. Everything was done well but cheaply, ie custom making things, doing all work myself. Now I have a good income and a c32. All that money, probably over $10k in the 7 years I have owned it is now more or less gone. I don't really feel the need to keep the celica but I would be lucky to get even 1/3 of what I put into it back again. I learnt a hell of a lot about cars, I have done head gaskets, rebuilt stuff, designed my own fuel and turbocharger systems. Its a hard lesson but if I could do it all over again I would have held back considerably and waited until I had a good income and a nicer newer car to work on with less financial constraints. Just another experience, I don't know if that helps you or not.

I also vote for keeping the c55 but leaving it alone.... if you can.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by W203Ramos
I called dibs on them months ago

Originally Posted by Peydidy
Again! you seem to get new wheels every month! sell me your 18 LM reps when you get knew ones! The coupes in need of some new shoes to match the sedan
Old 07-18-2012, 04:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
Just buy a cheap civic or integra for $2k and daily drive the civic and save the c55 for the weekend. Insurance on a new car for a college kid is not going to be cheap.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:48 AM

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
'03C32 Obsidian Black, '76Toyota Celica GT TRD, '12R350 4matic Arctic White, '06 ML 350 arctic white
NOOOO!
Old 07-18-2012, 05:01 PM
pww

'05 C55 AMG