C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

MBH 3.2 headers

Old 03-12-2013, 09:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Velociabstract
When I get all the pictures, graphs, etc. together and organized I'll start a new thread. I've gotta tell you, I was skeptical about the claimed gains from these headers and would have been happy with 15 hp less. MBH headers are the real deal. Even though these headers are for the R170 chassis, the stock manifolds are the same for all the 3.2 engines. So, an extra 40 whp could be yours too.

I plan to run a 1/2 mile event this weekend and a drag rental on the 23rd so we can put to rest the dyno numbers and focus on the mph which is what speaks pure truth.

My best 1/2 mile mph is 139.23 and best 1/4 mile mph is 117.

Les
what does the butt dyno tell you? how much faster does it really feel?
Old 03-12-2013, 09:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SRT-6
My butt hasn't been in the seat yet. I've been scr@wed at every turn. Now no one local has any stainless pipe to finish the exhaust. Dang GTR's ate all the supply. Now I'm hoping to get the car back before the weekend.

Les
Old 03-21-2013, 01:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
a land yacht.
any update?
Old 03-23-2013, 08:42 AM

SRT-6
Originally Posted by C_DirtyTwo
any update?
Let's get this over with. The shop did the open header and after dyno with the settings for 4wd parasitic losses so the numbers were no good. The pre instal was correctly done. When they realized what had happened I showed up at the shop and we did 10 more dynos more or less. In the end I made around 4 hp. As you can imagine, I've hardly left the bathroom or a full bottle since.

At the 1/2 mile event I managed 1.39 mph faster than my previous best which confirms a small gain. (140.62 mph)

Because I'm still in denial, yesterday I changed the intercooler pump and have new manifold gaskets on the way to rule out a boost leak. Boost dropped 2 psi with the headers. I have the erroneous dyno graph but was so disgusted I left without the correct ones. The difference between the open header and with full exhaust was 7 hp. Even with the erroneous settings on the dyno, the delta is reliable.

Tonight I'm off to a 1/4 mile drag rental. My personal best is 12.04 at 117 mph. As all of this forum knows, dynos are for tuning and the track tells the true story.

As disappointed as I am, I imagine the manufacturer of the headers will be more distraught. They are beautiful. The welding is the best I've seen on headers. My fabricator that finished up the headers to exhaust was inspired, his welds are beautiful too.

I haven't sent the final results in yet because I want to be positive my car is 100%. I'm pretty sure it is but a lot is at stake. When the gaskets come, I instal them (with copper spray this time), log the boost, find out if I had a leak or not. Then I'll feel comfortable and confident, beyond a reasonable doubt, exactly what others should expect from these headers.

Les
Old 03-23-2013, 10:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2002 C32, 2012 S550
My boost dropped about 2 lbs with my shorty headers.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:05 PM

SRT-6
The rental was rained out. 1 1/2 hours each way. Fck! Next event is a track day, then another 1/2 mile the 28th of april. I'll check the calendar for the next drag rental. They're expensive but happen regularly. This 1/2 mile coming up is different. They're going to have 1/4 and 1/2 mile times and drag radials are allowed. I may up the boost, we'll see.

Les
Old 03-23-2013, 11:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Let's get this over with. The shop did the open header and after dyno with the settings for 4wd parasitic losses so the numbers were no good. The pre instal was correctly done. When they realized what had happened I showed up at the shop and we did 10 more dynos more or less. In the end I made around 4 hp. As you can imagine, I've hardly left the bathroom or a full bottle since.

At the 1/2 mile event I managed 1.39 mph faster than my previous best which confirms a small gain. (140.62 mph)

Because I'm still in denial, yesterday I changed the intercooler pump and have new manifold gaskets on the way to rule out a boost leak. Boost dropped 2 psi with the headers. I have the erroneous dyno graph but was so disgusted I left without the correct ones. The difference between the open header and with full exhaust was 7 hp. Even with the erroneous settings on the dyno, the delta is reliable.

Tonight I'm off to a 1/4 mile drag rental. My personal best is 12.04 at 117 mph. As all of this forum knows, dynos are for tuning and the track tells the true story.

As disappointed as I am, I imagine the manufacturer of the headers will be more distraught. They are beautiful. The welding is the best I've seen on headers. My fabricator that finished up the headers to exhaust was inspired, his welds are beautiful too.

I haven't sent the final results in yet because I want to be positive my car is 100%. I'm pretty sure it is but a lot is at stake. When the gaskets come, I instal them (with copper spray this time), log the boost, find out if I had a leak or not. Then I'll feel comfortable and confident, beyond a reasonable doubt, exactly what others should expect from these headers.

Les
Sorry to hear Les. How is the A/F ratio IN THE STREET before and after? If the car lost boost it could be very possible that the car just needs a retune. Still have no way to check for knock? I've been suspicious of you running out of injector a long time ago but don't know what you did with that.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:57 AM

SRT-6
Originally Posted by GT-ER
Sorry to hear Les. How is the A/F ratio IN THE STREET before and after? If the car lost boost it could be very possible that the car just needs a retune. Still have no way to check for knock? I've been suspicious of you running out of injector a long time ago but don't know what you did with that.
AFR's are fluctuating more than normal. Perhaps because the upper O2 sensors are in a single tube and not a shared collector? The car is still running lean at WOT so I keep a high concentration of 100 in the tank. I think we need to do some street logging, whens your day off?

Les
Old 03-26-2013, 11:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
AFR's are fluctuating more than normal. Perhaps because the upper O2 sensors are in a single tube and not a shared collector? The car is still running lean at WOT so I keep a high concentration of 100 in the tank. I think we need to do some street logging, whens your day off?

Les
Thursday/Friday
Old 03-27-2013, 12:10 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
SRT-6
Subscribing to this, Les.

I'm on your other thread as well on our home forum, so consider this subscription a "morale boost" LOL

As mentioned on the XF forums, a boost drop isn't that much of a concern. 4hp gain... that's what has me... confused

Those things are too dang pretty for that nonsense.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

a land yacht.
Originally Posted by Kreuzfeuer
Subscribing to this, Les.

I'm on your other thread as well on our home forum, so consider this subscription a "morale boost" LOL

As mentioned on the XF forums, a boost drop isn't that much of a concern. 4hp gain... that's what has me... confused

Those things are too dang pretty for that nonsense.
wait, so what happened to the original claim of 40whp??

really its only 4?
Old 03-27-2013, 02:14 AM

SRT-6
wait, so what happened to the original claim of 40whp??

really its only 4?
Sadly, yes...

The shop did the open header and after dyno with the settings for 4wd parasitic losses so the numbers were no good. The pre instal was correctly done. When they realized what had happened I showed up at the shop and we did 10 more dynos more or less. In the end I made around 4 hp. As you can imagine, I've hardly left the bathroom or a full bottle since.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:02 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Porsche 2004 911

This is heart breaking stuff, I was certain headers are certain HP makers.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:03 AM

SRT-6
Originally Posted by macbryanie

This is heart breaking stuff, I was certain headers are certain HP makers.
I'd never given it much thought before but now I'm thinking that our one exhaust valve is the culprit. Time for some of Rob's heads!

First things first. New gaskets (plugs are new BTW) find a way to meet up with Daniel for some real time logging and not get arrested. A revised tune would be nice.

Les
Old 04-07-2013, 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

a land yacht.
have your furthered your search for the culprit stealing your horespower?
Old 04-08-2013, 07:58 AM

SRT-6
This truly has been FUBAR, not at all how I planned to do things. You know, clear and concise ...... professional.

Gaskets replaced saturday. The back 2 cylinders on the passenger side were leaking. I participated in a track day yesterday and the car ran flawlessly and fast. Talking about times won't work because I ran with R-compound for the second time in my life and first at this track. A new dyno session is in the works.

Based on the on track comments and people coming over to ask WTF I'd done to the car, I believe more than 4hp. If I can extract my self from FUBAR land, some decent information could actually be posted. Nah, I don't know for how long the gasket was leaking. A real shame, letdown, FUBAR.

Les
Old 04-08-2013, 09:30 AM

SRT-6
This truly has been FUBAR, not at all how I planned to do things. You know, clear and concise ...... professional.

Gaskets replaced saturday. The back 2 cylinders on the passenger side were leaking. I participated in a track day yesterday and the car ran flawlessly and fast. Talking about times won't work because I ran with R-compound for the second time in my life and first at this track. A new dyno session is in the works.

Based on the on track comments and people coming over to ask WTF I'd done to the car, I believe more than 4hp. If I can extract my self from FUBAR land, some decent information could actually be posted. Nah, I don't know for how long the gasket was leaking. A real shame, letdown, FUBAR.

Les
For the sake of research, you can send those headers up to TN and I'll do a baseline run and then install them, and make another dyno run. Headers may or may not make it back down to PR
Old 04-08-2013, 12:06 PM

SRT-6
Next drag rental is the 21st of april and I'll run the car as is. Next 1/2 mile event is the 28th but I plan on changing a couple of details for it.

The headers were difficult to instal so they won't be coming off the car. Whatcha drinkin up in them thar mountains?

Les
Old 04-08-2013, 01:02 PM

SRT-6
Next drag rental is the 21st of april and I'll run the car as is. Next 1/2 mile event is the 28th but I plan on changing a couple of details for it.

The headers were difficult to instal so they won't be coming off the car. Whatcha drinkin up in them thar mountains?

Les
Apple Pie 'shine, brotha

Hey, if you don't ask, the answer is "no" LMAO

Remove the mirrors this time, and see if that adds a MPH or two
Old 04-08-2013, 03:29 PM

SRT-6
Originally Posted by Kreuzfeuer
Apple Pie 'shine, brotha

Hey, if you don't ask, the answer is "no" LMAO

Remove the mirrors this time, and see if that adds a MPH or two
All I've tried is Kentuckee shine. After that my tonsils didn't need removing. If my data logs look good from yesterday I'll be adding my Code 3 pulley for the 1/2 mile. Hoping to squeeze 5 more mph out of the ole girl.

A photo after applying protection at the track and the header connections.

Les
Attached Thumbnails MBH 3.2 headers-imag0274.jpg   MBH 3.2 headers-img_0726.jpg  

Last edited by Velociabstract; 04-08-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:21 PM

SRT-6
All I've tried is Kentuckee shine. After that my tonsils didn't need removing. If my data logs look good from yesterday I'll be adding my Code 3 pulley for the 1/2 mile. Hoping to squeeze 5 more mph out of the ole girl.

A photo after applying protection at the track and the header connections.

Les
Dude, you weren't lying. That's more protection than I used in college

The C3 pulley will be stacked with the 178, right?
Old 04-08-2013, 04:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 porsche 996 turbo
les indulge me. pull the grill and the lower grills before you run at the track. to much restriction. idea is to go fast not look good!
Old 04-08-2013, 04:52 PM

SRT-6
The lower grills are already off the car in the picture ...... you missed that. The upper grill, well, I've run with it and without it. When I had a single intake it made a difference but with the double it doesn't seem to so I leave it on to deflect rocks. When you share the track with racers on Hoosiers you need all the protection you can get. The blue tape and road wrap aren't getting the job done the way I'd like so I ordered some collision wrap for future events.

I'm running a 178 ASP pulley now. I started with a Code3, switched when it started rattling but I still have it in the closet. With the headers I'm seeing less boost so I think I can run both without a problem. I guess I'll find out sooner than later.

Les
Old 05-30-2013, 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

a land yacht.
Did you ever get some real numbers on the headers?? Or at least some gains at the track?
Old 05-30-2013, 12:58 PM

SRT-6
Did you ever get some real numbers on the headers?? Or at least some gains at the track?
I never went back to the dyno but the 4 hp is about right. I picked up 1 mph at the 1/2 mile event. (140.62) At the 1/4 mile I ran .03 faster with a slower trap speed. (12.019 @ 115.70) It was warmer with a slight head wind. I've replaced gaskets, taken everything apart, inspected and reinstalled and the engine is perfect. Heck, I even did a compression test and have only 1 psi variance between all the cylinders. I've run with water/meth and without it. With 93 octane and 100 octane. I can't explain it. It is what it is. To be clear about my car, I had Needswings downpipes with the cutouts. The downpipes (no cats) gained around 15 hp and with the cutouts open another 10 more or less. The pre install numbers were with the cutouts closed. It doesn't add up but it's what I got. I put some black injectors in this week that I bought and had serviced. My blues are at Marren being checked and flowed. I should get some good info on the differences between the older blacks and newer blues. A new fuel pump and filter go in the weekend too. If any of these changes make a difference I'll post it up. I installed new plugs before the headers and gapped them at .039. During all my searching for a problem I gapped them down to .035 which is where I had the old set gapped. Next rental is the 15th of June, barring rain.

Les

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: MBH 3.2 headers