C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

iPad Mini Retina Mount for W203/ 3D Printed

Old 03-19-2014, 03:54 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
2005 C55 AMG
iPad Mini Retina Mount for W203/ 3D Printed

I just spent some time designing this. i will 3d print it along with custom brackets that screw on to the empty (not press-able) buttons near ESP and Emergency light button. it will mount in a way where it can be moved away in case ipad is not present. i attached a PDF of the design.... the whole in the middle is just to save printing time and material.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>The slot will work for an iPad Mini Retina with an APPLE SMART CASE***(can be modifited to fit just the ipad)

the design will allow you to connect the ipad to a charger just by sliding it in from the left. the cable can plug into one of those AUX 3.5 mm adapters to go to the cars AUX connector. i use bluetooth but my cable will be solely a charger.

I want to sell these parts after i print them. Let me know if you are interested. a Kit with instructions shouldn't be more than $150. But could be less.

Any questions? please give me feedback.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
ipad mount slot full.PDF (258.0 KB, 570 views)

Last edited by Clk2C55; 03-19-2014 at 04:00 PM.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C55 AMG
Pretty neat... If you were 5 months earlier I would have been on it.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:51 PM

2005 C55 AMG
its coming put sweet... what happened? you dont have an ipad anymore?
Old 03-21-2014, 07:22 PM

C55 AMG
Originally Posted by Clk2C55
its coming put sweet... what happened? you dont have an ipad anymore?
I have it still, but from my trial runs with it in the car it's pretty much useless because the GPS is not accurate enough without wifi, that's primarily what I wanted to use it for, aside from playing music through the aux port like you said. I don't have a data plan for it so I always had to tether from my phone which is a hassle if I just wanted to go get groceries or short trips.

The short of it is just that it does not integrate that nicely with the car, and probably will not look neat over top of the command unit, or along the side or wherever you want to put it. You always have to use the oem radio to do something so it still has to be accessible.

I went with the next best thing and that's the app radio3.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:28 PM

2005 C55 AMG
Originally Posted by Duncan64
I have it still, but from my trial runs with it in the car it's pretty much useless because the GPS is not accurate enough without wifi, that's primarily what I wanted to use it for, aside from playing music through the aux port like you said. I don't have a data plan for it so I always had to tether from my phone which is a hassle if I just wanted to go get groceries or short trips.

The short of it is just that it does not integrate that nicely with the car, and probably will not look neat over top of the command unit, or along the side or wherever you want to put it. You always have to use the oem radio to do something so it still has to be accessible.

I went with the next best thing and that's the app radio3.

i think till look sick.... its only gonna cover the stock screen and the right side buttons. the volume and other bottons will be available. well see..... its gonna have hinges so you can lift the assembly.

i like the pioneer idea but it costs a lot of money. tethering would only be needed if you really need gps or pandora.... my phone is jailbroken so it automatically tethers with no extra charge on my unlimited plan so i guess its more convenient for me. i might get a hot spot though...
Old 03-24-2014, 12:13 AM

2005 C55 AMG
Result

This is what it looks like. It can be lifted and removed. No drill holes in the dash I just removed the button covers that weren't functional
Attached Thumbnails iPad Mini Retina Mount for W203/ 3D Printed-image.jpg  
Old 03-24-2014, 07:39 AM

C55 AMG
Originally Posted by Clk2C55
This is what it looks like. It can be lifted and removed. No drill holes in the dash I just removed the button covers that weren't functional
Personally I wouldn't like it if it's off center. But that's my personal upinion. Also if you want to make it more appealing, you should try to design something that molds around the whole dash so it looks built in, not just slapped on, because honestly I've done what you did there with strong Velcro and it is cleaner looking.

The idea with making it built in is so that you can run the wires to your unit so the user doesn't have wires having around etc. I know you didn't ask for advice, so please don't take this the wrong way. I'll shut up now
Old 03-24-2014, 02:06 PM

2005 C55 AMG
This is the first iteration. The off center is a bit weird at first but I scooted it to the passenger side a bit more so the buttons on the stock navi could be accessed. The cool part is that it comes off rather easily. There's a spot for the charger. I haven't plugged it in. But it won't be visible. The wires in the ashtray are auxiliary to my Bluetooth cigarette lighter. And a USB port. It's always closes so it looks clean.
I like the idea of molding it in. I would do it if I had an aftermarket. I would rather have the real ipad than the pioneer HU cuz it's restrictive. My next revision in a month or so would be to add an aftermarket unit and then mold into the dash. Thanks for the feedback!

Last edited by Clk2C55; 03-24-2014 at 02:08 PM.